Categories > Original > Romance > Vitch

Chapter Three

by Ninja_CoCo 0 reviews

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor,Romance - Published: 2008-04-26 - Updated: 2008-04-27 - 1128 words

0Unrated
Chapter Three: Warm Welcome

The last two weeks went by as an emotional blur. My parents went back to work and only have a week left of summer, which is more like fall because it is September.
The thought of my Grandma’s secret passes through my mind; and because I am home alone I will go up to the attic. Cobwebs lining every corner make me jump at every dust bunny that blew past me, thinking it’s a spider.
I see an old bookshelf. That peaks my interest and I walk over cautiously. I run my finger down a row of the spines of books that are at my eye level. A thick coat of dust accumulates on my fingertip.
The ring of the door-bell makes me jump and I run downstairs to greet the visitors at the door. I open the door and to my surprise a blonde haired blue eyed girl and boy, obviously fraternal twins, my age, are on my doorstep.
“Hi!” the girl says cheerfully. “My name is Blaire Duritz, and this is my brother Sam.
“We noticed that you moved in a couple of weeks ago, and we heard about your grandma…Sorry for your loss.” She talks slightly fast.
“Oh,” I say, shocked but flattered at the same time. “My name is Anastasia, but you can call me Ana. It’s nice to meet both of you.” I step out of the way of the door and they both step through.
Blaire’s blonde ponytail bounces as she walks through the door and her blue eyes shine curiously as she looks around. Sam, obviously the shy one of the pair, walks in quietly and looks around.
“Nice place!” Blaire says; her gaze turns to me and I lead them into the living room, snapping on the television.
“Thanks. Can I get you anything?”
“Nah, I’m good.”
Sam just shakes his head and smiles politely, yet timid. A few awkward minutes pass as we all stare at the television blankly, and I don’t like it. I decide to speak up, “Are you guy’s twins?”
“Yup, I’m older, by five minutes!” Blaire chirps.
“That’s cool.”
“So where did you live before you came here?”
“Florida.”
“It must be really different, then.”
“It’s a lot cloudier here. I miss the sun and the memories I have.”
“Yeah, it is really cloudy here, but I hope you like it here too.” With that said, her cell phone in her pocket begins to ring. She answers it and gives a few “Mmhmm’s” and hangs up. “Sorry. That was my mom; she needs us to go home. I’ll try to hang out sometime.”
I nod, “That’s cool, come over any time.” We say our good-bye’s and Sam and Blaire walk across the street to their house. Blaire seems like a nice person, but there is something about her aura that makes me feel like I shouldn’t trust her.


I decide to hold off on going back up to the attic, because my parents are going to be home from work soon. I don’t want them to know about my dream and my suspicions about Grandma’s peculiar ways.
I do some laundry and feed Oreo before my parents get home. I hear the car pull into the driveway as I finish folding.
“Hey Mom, hey Dad,” I say as the walk into the living room.
“Hey Ana, how was your day.” My mom greets.
“Good; the kids from across the street came over to welcome us to the neighborhood and to give there condolences for grandma.”
“Well, that was nice. What are their names?”
“Blaire and Sam Duritz.”
More small talk is made as my mom comes over to help with the laundry, my dad flips through the channels.


We ate dinner and my parents were off to bed. I have a feeling it’s going to be a restless night.
I thought a moment about going up to the attic, but that idea gave me the chills. I climb into bed and try to sleep, but the eerie quietness just makes it harder. I hear something rustling in the trees outside my window. Me being curious got the best of me and I decide to check it out. I mean, what could happen in a small town like this?
I step out of the front door and click my flashlight on. Walking over to the place I heard the noises, I shine my flashlight on a bush. I take a step closer, and the rustling stops. A dark human-like figure stands up from behind the bush.
“Hello? Is there anyone there?” I ask, trying my hardest to keep my voice even. I take another step and feel my self falling. I put my arms out to brace my fall, but I don’t feel the wet grass in my palms. Someone’s arm encircles my waist, keeping me from falling. The mysterious figure steadies me.
“Thanks,” I whisper, still in shock.
“No problem.” I can tell it was a male’s voice, but not a familiar one. It had a certain smooth, melodic rhythm to it. He hands me the flashlight that I dropped and I inconspicuously shine it in his direction to see his face.
All I can do is gawk in amazement in how dream-like he is. I felt awkward staring at him like this, so I quickly avert my eyes and the beam of light. I could feel his gaze on me.
“So…What’s your name?” I ask in a sheepish tone.
“Connor Mune, and you are?”
“Anastasia Abbot,” I was calmer now.
“You should be inside, Anastasia, it can be dangerous.” His voice sent chills up my spine.
“You should too,” I try to be as smooth as him, but fail horribly.
I could see the corners of his mouth go up in a brilliant, sly, smile as he leads me out of the woods, to my driveway.
”Don’t worry about that. I’m more than capable to handle the things that go ‘bump’ in the night.”
“What makes you think I can’t?” I smile, knowing full well that I would probably fall down when trying to defend myself.
His smile grows wider. I can tell he is thinking the same thing, especially after tonight’s performance. “I have my reasons.”
I just laugh. I feel really comfortable around him, even though I just met him. The only thing that makes me fell the least bit uncomfortable is that he is amazingly beautiful and charming. There is something enticing me to make more conversation, but when I turn back to look at him, he is gone.
Sign up to rate and review this story