Categories > TV > Thunderbirds > Enhanced

Arrival

by andrewjameswilliams 0 reviews

After participating in a rescue at a US research base John begins to experience strange and amazing side effects.

Category: Thunderbirds - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Sci-fi - Published: 2006-02-18 - Updated: 2006-02-18 - 1714 words

0Unrated
Chapter Two: Arrival

Chapter Two: Arrival


Thunderbird One


"That's right Scott," Alan's voice said from the speaker in the headset that Scott was wearing. "The facility you're going to is used by the US government in the development and testing of new technology. But they won't give anymore information than that."

"I understand Alan," Scott replied inwardly cursing the paranoid secretive nature of the United States government in these matters.

They knew full well that International Rescue was discrete in these matters and could be trusted to keep things secret yet they still insisted on not giving any information on what was being researched in that facility. So essentially they were going into the danger zone without any real ideas of the potential hazards. Which made their job that bit more difficult.

"Do they have any idea what caused the explosion," Scott asked.

"The base is powered by a fusion generator. They think that one of the deuterium storage tanks exploded," Alan answered. "The topmost underground floors have partially collapsed and that which hasn't collapsed is on fire."

"Any more news on the river containment wall?"

"I'm afraid not. They've lost contact with the researchers trapped on the lower levels." Terrific, Scott thought.

"Okay thanks Alan. Keep monitoring if you hear anymore before I arrive give me a buzz straight away."

"F.A.B."

***

Ten Minutes Later


Scott landed Thunderbird One on part of a large stretch of open ground inside the perimeter fence. He could see on his external cameras that a group of soldiers were running up and surrounding Thunderbird One pointing their weapons right at him. Scott rolled his eyes in irritation. There was no need for such a martial display. And really did the soldiers think their rifles would be able to hurt Thunderbird One. From the look they were projectile not laser weapons they'd just bounce off the hull.

He could see another group of people two males in combat fatigues and one woman wearing civilian clothes with a white lab coat over the top. Scott couldn't make out the rank insignia on the military uniforms from here Thunderbirds One's external cameras and sensors were not quiet sensitive enough for that but he guess that they were probably the people in command of this base. And probably therefor the people who had ordered the soldiers to surround Thunderbird One.

Scott switched on the external speakers.

"This is International Rescue Thunderbird One," he said. "Can you please call your soldiers off." He turned on the external microphone and waited.

One of the approaching three raised a loud speaker.

"International Rescue I am Colonel Marshall Graves commander of security for this base. We appreciate your rapid response but I am afraid the troops must remain."

"Colonel Graves we do not appreciate having weapons pointed at us when we are here to help," Scott replied keeping his voice cool and calm while inwardly he was getting a little ticked off with this Colonel Graves already. He seemed to be one of those jar-headed paranoid commanders. He'd met his kind before when he was in the US airforce before International Rescue began operating.

"I am sorry International Rescue but the troops must remain. It is necessary for national security reasons." Oh for goodness sakes, Scott thought rolling his eyes.

"Colonel Graves you have people trapped underground. They are our only concern not stealing your secrets. Now I ask you again please stand down your men."

"I am sorry but the troops remain," Graves said stubbornly. "They will accompany you in your activities."

"Colonel let me make this black and white," Scott replied letting some of his annoyance show in his voice now. "We cannot help save the people trapped underground if we have your men breathing down our necks. Nor can we allow any of your men access to one of our vehicles. Now either you stand down your men and let us work unhindered or I'll leave here now and instruct Thunderbird Two not to approach. The choice is yours colonel. Make it fast."

Graves did not respond but Scott saw the woman speak to Graves though he couldn't make out what she said. Graves said something back and was answered and for a few moments he and the woman argued. And Scott got the distinct impression that the woman was the one who was really in charge here.

Finally Graves spoke again through the loud speaker.

"Very well International Rescue," Graves said but he did not sound happy. "I will withdraw the troops."

"Thank you," he said. "Now to business. Thunderbird Two will be here soon we will need complete information on the layout of the underground levels." Graves didn't answer but Scott saw the woman take the loud speaker from him.

"International Rescue my name is Dr Kerry Jones I am in charge of this facility the information you've requested will be provided," the woman said.

"Thank you Dr Jones," Scott replied. "I will see you face to face shortly."

"I look forward to it."

Scott turned off the external microphones and speakers before turning on the main communications system. He needed to report in to dad that he'd arrived and advise him of the trouble he'd had with Colonel Graves. Scott didn't think the colonel was going to let what had happened lie. He suspected that Graves would probably complain to Washington not that it would do any good.

"Base from Thunderbird One, base from Thunderbird One," he said.

"Go ahead Scott," his fathers voice responded even as he appeared on one of Scott's display screens.

"I've arrived at the danger zone and am about to set up. Had a little trouble with the military though."

"What kind of trouble," Jeff Tracy asked fearing the worst. Last time they'd had trouble with the US military it had been when the trigger-happy captain of the U.S.N Sentinel fired missiles at Thunderbird Two. It was only luck that had prevented Thunderbird Two from being destroyed in that incident as it was she'd been crippled for weeks.

"Nothing too serious," Scott reported. "The colonel in charge of security in the place apparently decided we're a threat to national security and need to be watched and accompanied at all times by his men."

"I assume you persuaded him otherwise."

"I did. The head of the facility a Dr Jones overruled him. But I don't think he's very happy about it."

"I'll alert our operatives in Washington," Jeff said. "We'll deal with it if it becomes necessary."

"Ok father. I'll call you again when I'm all set up." Scott broke the signal before undoing his seat restraints and getting up. His first stop would be the storage bay behind the cockpit from where he would pick up his mobile control equipment.

***

A Few Minutes Later


Scott set mobile control up inside an emergency command and control tent that the military forces protecting the base had put up after the explosion and subsequent evacuation of as much of the base as possible. He ignored the daggered looks he got off some of the soldiers who hadn't taken kindly to the way he'd in their eyes humiliated their commanding officer. The fact that Colonel Graves had been an idiot to even surround Thunderbird One and try the 'you're a risk to national security' trick was neither here nor there.

Scott personally suspected that the real reason Graves had done that was because he wanted his people to get a really good look at International Rescue technology up close. Like every other military in the world the US military would love to get their hands on even a small number of International Rescue's secrets.

Still despite the irritation and anger that some of Graves' people were showing him they had complied with Dr Jones' orders and provided him with a detailed layout of the underground levels.

The research base was built in a reverse pyramid shape with the widest point just below the surface with the narrow point of the pyramid deep underground. A core access shaft ran the length of the twelve underground levels and it was that access shaft that had become blocked by fire and falling debris. The researchers were trapped in one of the labs on level nine, a lab that was right against the wall on the side where the river ran past the base. They would have to use the Mole to tunnel down to the opposite side of the base and access the level from there. Once down there they would possibly have to cut through emergency doors. Neither Dr Jones nor the quietly seething Colonel Graves had been able to say if the heavy steel doors designed to contain fires and explosions had closed automatically or not. And all lines to underground sensors had been severed either by the initial explosion or by the following fire.

"Mobile Control to Thunderbird Two," he said into his radio unit. "What is your ETA?"

"Mobile Control from Thunderbird Two," Virgil's voice responded immediately. "I've just crossed into Nevada now and will be at your location in three minutes."

"Understood. Listen Virgil you're going to have to land on the western side of the base. We'll have to use the Mole to dig down to the ninth level from there. Now we don't know if the emergency doors on the ninth level have closed or not. So you and John are going to have to take the oxyhydnite equipment with you. The researchers are reported to be in a lab on the eastern side right next to the wall that faces the river."

"F.A.B Scott." Scott did detect a slight note of nerves in Virgil's voice as he spoke about the oxyhydnite equipment. Though they had had no problems with it since the Thompson Tower disaster last year both himself and Virgil were still a little weary of using it since it knocked them out during its initial tests. "Do we know how may researchers are trapped."

Scott looked up at the sullen looking corporal standing next to him who had been designated liaison.

"Five," the corporal answered.

"Did you get that Virgil?" Scott asked into the communications unit.

"I got it. ETA now two minutes."

"F.A.B."
Sign up to rate and review this story