Categories > Original > Fantasy

Flight of Fancy

by Blackraven 0 reviews

Nikolai isn't like other girls, especially the girls of her time, 1657. Number one, she goes off on random adventures. Number two, she has a dragon. These reasons, and her encounters with pirates, ...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-06-02 - Updated: 2008-06-02 - 842 words

0Unrated
I wondered how the weather was today, if the wind was blowing. How would that affect me later? Were there any new ships in the harbor, anyone I didn’t really want to see? Or even worse, any of them wanting to see me? Ugh, so much to worry about and it was so hot. Why was I wearing this stupid dress? Answer: My aunt asked for a formal visit. When I visited her, I had to act all lady like, but with luck this would be the last visit for a long time.
“Nikolai, would you kindly answer Ms. Sloan?” snapped a voice through the hot summer air. Man I wish it would rain.
Turning, I gave Aunt Clementine my best innocent English girl smile. “I’m sorry, I must have missed her question, could Ms. Sloan repeat it?” I asked in a sweet voice. Ms. Sloan was a distant cousin of my aunt’s or something. My family was so big, I stopped trying to figure out who I was related to, and focused on who I wasn’t. It was a lot easier that way.
“I asked if you’ve decided to marry yet, Nikolai,” Ms. Sloan repeated dryly. Her small eyes were narrowed at me, and she was scowling as if a disgusting odor was drifting under her nose.
“Oh. No, I do not think I have, nor will I ever,” was my terse reply.
My aunt shifted and spoke, “Well, I wouldn’t say never. As your guardian, I have decided that marriage would be in your best interest, instead of going off on these adventures where I have no clue where you are or what you may be doing. I don’t feel that’s proper for any well bred woman, especially you,” she gave a nasty smile.
If she only knew. Ever since my parents had died when I was eleven, my aunt had been my guardian. At twelve I had started going off on what she called adventures. If she knew who I was with, or what I was doing, well dear Aunt Clementine would probably just lose her wits. So what she didn’t know wouldn’t hurt her.
I shifted uncomfortably, and not just because of the dress. I was actually hiding a gun under my dress, in case I needed it. Of course, getting to it would be a hassle, but it made me feel safer just to have it. “Of course, Aunt Clementine,” I muttered prettily, my eyes down at my hands, which were resting in my lap.
The two women went on, talking about possible matches for me, as if I weren’t there. A quick glance out the window told me it was time to go. Really time to go. The sun was beginning to set, and on the harbor I saw a new ship had arrived, and the flag was that of the English Armada. Oops.
“Well, Aunt Clementine, Ms. Sloan, I must go. I have a very busy day tomorrow, and I must take leave of your….charming company. Please excuse me,” I got up and straightened my long and uncomfortable dress, then smiled to my aunt and her friend.
“Where are you going, Nikolai?” called my aunt, “That you have to leave just as our guests are arriving?”
“Guests?” I asked, stopping in my tracks. There was a knock on the door, and I took a few steps back.
“Come in,” called my aunt, and the door opened. There stood a man who appeared to be in his late twenties, with dark brown hair and brown eyes. He was tanned from spending time in the sun and was about my height. Dressed in the uniform of the English Armada, I knew exactly who he was the moment I saw him.
“You,” he sputtered, and I paled. “I’ve been looking for you…..and to think I’d find you here, where I was invited to find a girl worthy for me to marry. If this is all there is to offer, I don’t think I accept. Though with the authority of the English Armada, I arrest you, Nicolai Constantine-“ he had obviously worked up a speech, but I cut him off.
“Oh give it a rest, Johnson,” I hissed, leaning backward and pulling the gun out of the sheath on my leg. I did it actually quite gracefully. The gun I pointed at the Captain and smirked. He had pulled out a gun as well, but I had been faster. His gun was at his side, while mine was pointed at his face. “And now I will take my leave of you,” I began, walking backward toward the window. “Good day to you, Aunt Clementine, Ms. Sloan, Mr. Johnson.” I opened the door to the small balcony, with the three of them watching me. “I do so hope to see you ag-“ I didn’t get to finish my sentence as I stumbled backward over the low railing and tumbled backward through the air.
Sign up to rate and review this story