Home > Site Issues > Hopefully Helpful Fic Fixing Tips

AuthorMessage
Sgamer82
Hopefully Helpful Fic Fixing Tips
I recently had some difficulty in my story due to three things. The first was bad cut-off occurring at random spots in the story (everything after these points was gone). Some special characters I used (ô and û) would not appear except as random code. And sentences and points that were italicized did not appear correctly (with the slashes marking the italics appearing in the text itself). I think, for the benefit of any others who've dealt with this, I've uncovered a couple ways that might help work around things until all is fixed up good and proper.

1) The worst of the cut-off seemed to occur only when I edited the fic in the "Story Text" section (as opposed to directly uploading a file). When I uploaded directly, the cut-off at least didn't occur after two or three sentences in.

2) Special characters, such as ô and û, also caused cut-offs to occur at that letter and everything after it.
3) Exact placement of formatting tags or seems important. My guess is the tags should be put immediately before and after the text it's formatting with no spaces in between and nothing right next to it on either side. (Using a dash as a replacement for the italic-slash: "-Santoryu-" did not format properly while -"Santoryu"- did.

Using a quote from my fic as a further example. Here's how it should appear:
Well then, that changes everything. Zoro thought to himself, If what you say is true, then the question is no longer "How will I dodge?" Now it's "Where will you shoot?"
(In case formatting doesn't work, everything except for "Zoro thought to himself", the "I" in "How will I dodge?" and the "you" in "Where will you shoot?" are italicized)

How it appeared in story (hopefully it comes out right:
Well then, that changes everything. Zoro thought to himself, If what you say is true, then the question is no longer "How will /I dodge?" Now it's "Where will you shoot?"/
(If formatting does not occur: Text was mostly italicized as intended up until the "I" in "how will I dodge." The first slash appeared in text and all text after was not italicized except for the "you" in "Where will you shoot?"

Anyway, I hope the information in this posts is helpful to anybody who has trouble formatting/posting until things are 100% again.

Register Lost password

Filter

You won't see stories with a lower score when you browse or search. Log in to adjust filter.

Featured Story

Site Stats

• Authors: 490608
  • Stories: 40148

Recent Stories