Home > Site Issues > Ads!! Oh, the humanity!

AuthorMessage
theheadlessauthor
Ads!! Oh, the humanity!
I don't have a problem with ads-as long as they don't get in the way. However, I was looking at my profile and an ad WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PAGE!!! Right under that little bar saying what my username is and all that jazz was a big blue lettered ad advertising ringtones, and then my actual profile came after.

I understand the need for ads. But... in the middle of the page?
Anna-wa I agree, it is rather annoying.
Dragon_of_Twilight I know, the ads are really annoying. I guess it would be more appreciated if the ads were placed at the bottom of side of the page, not right in the centre.
BlackAngelChick I haven't had a problem with the adds yet. Maybe it was just a glitch.
slickrcbd I blocked them using the hosts file. This site uses one of the most common ad servers out there.

On Widows 2000, XP, 2003, or Vista simply go to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

There should be a file named "hosts" with no extension. Open it with Notepad or Wordpad. Then at the end, add the following lines:

0.0.0.0 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
0.0.0.0 www.google-analytics.com

This blocks that ad server. It also blocks ads on Google and other places.

On most Unix and linux systems, the hosts file is in the /etc folder. I'm not positive about Macs, not having owned one since before Mac OS X. I COULD tell you that you need to create one in the :system folder:preferences folder, but I can only confirm that for Mac OS 7.6-9.2.
slickrcbd my post got cut off. I normally wouldn't make a post like the above here, but I want to see if anybody that runs the site actually reads the forum. That, and I'm annoyed that the problems with the alerts and other things like the ratings and reviews have been around for a year and haven't been fixed.
Cereal_junkie I agree. It's rather annoying, but I've grown attached to ficwad, and as a result, I shall stick with it. And I don't think they even bother with the forums. It's kind of retarted.

Register Lost password

Filter

You won't see stories with a lower score when you browse or search. Log in to adjust filter.

Featured Story

Site Stats

• Authors: 605892
  • Stories: 40293

Recent Stories