Home > Site Issues > Ignore the topic "Ficwad NOT closing"

AuthorMessage
bmn
Ignore the topic "Ficwad NOT closing"
The topic was a mistake on my part, ignore it. Expiry is today. The domain has a 2 week grace period before removal, but the site's likely to go down in the next couple of days unless the owner has other interests on this hosting account.
Ascania Expiry date on the Dreamhost Whois has been updated.
Panic again next march.
bmn Cool. I suppose we didn't expect the very last minute update.

But now who's going to clean up the mess of "onos ficwad dun fo!" on the forum and categories... >_>
areyounormal Just a general observation and not to anyone in particular...

This might be a good time to point out that as the site is continuing (even in the short term) that someone out there who owns it is still looking after it.

Whoever that is isn't going to want to see a lot of angry/whiny posts pointing out all the things that don't work. Take a minute, instead, to think about all the things that the site DOES do! And no one responds well to unnecessarily angry demands, especially when a service is free.

So, can I suggest to those that want something changed (and would normally do so by making an 'I'M SICK OF THIS' type post) that they ask politely instead? After all, you wouldn't like someone getting angry and shouting at you as a first response to something they didn't like, would you?

If you don't get something by asking, you definitely won't get it by shouting.
koppe First let me thank you for a great site with lots of great stories.

I'm relived that the domain has been extended, but does anybody know for sure if it's the site owner? After all, it's not that unusual for registrant/hosters to herd popular (but expired) domain-names, and then charge overprice for them (rather than letting them go back to the pool of unused domains)...
littleblinkingstar Quote areyounormal: "So, can I suggest to those that want something changed (and would normally do so by making an 'I'M SICK OF THIS' type post) that they ask politely instead? After all, you wouldn't like someone getting angry and shouting at you as a first response to something they didn't like, would you?"

...there are also a lot of people who have asked politely a hundred times in mails which did never get an answer... at some point people just get fed up with no one answering them...
Squallfan So true, littleblinkingstar. This has to be the worst fiction site for bugs.
areyounormal littleblinkingstar

I know - I wasn't trying to suggest that some people weren't polite. That's why I was very careful over my phrasing of that sentence.

But regardless of how upset people get and how many bugs there are, my last sentence still holds. If the developers aren't going to fix something if people ask nicely, they're certainly not going to do it if people get angry. Why would they? Would you?

I'm not having a rant here, I'm just pointing out that there's nothing to be gained from complaining in such an angry way. The person would just end up being more frustrated when nothing changes.

This site is free, it's not swamped with adverts and pop ups and it's not perfect by even a wild stretch of the imagination, but it does the main thing it's needed for. Is it really worth getting so wound up about the details?

Just my take on things.
Scubadrunk88 While that is true, sometimes, it just isn't worth it to post something and have it not be there, or something like that. Or, it isn't posted correctly in the order it's supposed to be in. Or the fact that you can't get a temp password anymore for accounts. I went away for six months and I forgot the password to another account. Right away, I got on and tried to sign in, and I didn't remember the correct password. I remember what it is now, but that doesn't help me because I sent out for a temp password and once you do that, you can't use your old one weather they send you a new one or not. I just think that if anything, could he/she please fix at least that so I can get back on my main acocunt that I have ALL of my stuff posted on.
littleblinkingstar i think it's okay to get angry/frustrated at some point... after all details are important for something to work... i guess a lot of people here just moved to other pages instead now, because of things not working + not getting fixed.
some of them also offered their help - for free. no answer.

Register Lost password

Filter

You won't see stories with a lower score when you browse or search. Log in to adjust filter.

Featured Story

Site Stats

• Authors: 632417
  • Stories: 40431

Recent Stories