Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Different Sort of Bond

Chapter 13

by Balder

An unusual mishap in Sixth Year Potions makes Harry and Daphne Greengrass spend a lot of time together.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Harry,Neville - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2013-08-03 - 1951 words

?Blocked
A Different Sort of Bond Chapter 13

Disclaimer: I do not own the Potterverse!
Author’s Note: Here’s the thirteenth chapter. Let’s hope its not bad luck.


When Harry and Daphne met Hermione and Ron for lunch Harry was wearing some of his new clothes. He was in a gryffindor red shirt with golden lions roaming across it and tight black denim pants with dragonhide boots.

“You look nice Harry,” Hermione said.

“I was hoping they had boots of basilisk hide,” Daphne said. “But wherever he sold the hide of that thing it wasn’t in hogsmeade because I've never known any place with it for sale.”

Harry said, “Uh, I never sold it. Why? Is it extra valuable or something?”

“Oh honestly Harry,” Hermione said. “Of course it is!” She went on for a while about all the useful properties of Basilisk parts and about the number of things for which the beast can be used. She ended with, “I told you all this at the end of second year, weren’t you listening?”

Harry blushed, “Sorry Hermione, I must have forgot.” Actually he wasn’t really listening this time either but he wasn’t going to say that.

He turned to Daphne, “Hey, want to see a bloody great snake? It’s been dead for most of four years so it probably stinks like billy-o but I bet there is still stuff we can harvest if we try.”

She considered for a short while then said, “Sluggy will probably help us for a percentage. You have anything in mind for it? I mean if the hide is still intact it will probably make great armor but you can’t be sure it will be after so long and I’d hate for you, or us, to find out the hard way if it isn’t.”

“I wasn’t thinking of armor,” Harry said. “I was thinking of showing you the scene of one of my purest victories. First year Quirrel died and the stone was destroyed, third year we saved Sirius but didn’t prove his innocence, fourth year I survived but didn’t prevent Riddle’s resurrection, and last year was a fiasco, we barely escaped alive. Second year, however, was pure success. I killed the monster, saved the innocent, and blocked Riddle from coming back.”

“Well you should use it for something other than impressing me or fond nostalgia,” Daphne said.

Harry thought for a bit while sipping a butterbeer. Eventually he smiled, “What does everyone think of this. The Sirius Black Memorial Foundation. It will set up warded safe houses and provide free portkeys to anyone who swears a magical oath not to support Tom Riddle Jr. under whatever name he might call himself. They can use it anytime they feel threatened.”

“That would cost a small fortune Harry,” Hermione said. “Then again, you’ll get one from selling the basilisk parts and you were left a large fortune in Sirius’ will.” She shrugged, “If you think it’ll help you could do it but I doubt most people will go for it.”

Ron shrugged, “My folks might. I suppose Harry could just buy them portkeys but they’d be more likely to take one from a foundation than Harry directly. Especially if he asks them to do it as an example to others.” He smiled, “Thanks mate on behalf of the family if you do it.”

Daphne said, “Actually I think you might be surprised Hermione. My folks said that in the last war a group of death eaters would show up at a pureblood residence and say they were “collecting for the cause”. Most gave them money out of fear of what would happen if they said no. If they were offered a way to avoid that choice by portkeying out as soon as the death eaters appeared then I think a lot of them would take it. The only ones who wouldn’t are the actual sympathizers.” She pursed her lips, “If we keep track of those that refuse we could use that as a tentative list later when we go on the offensive.”

Hermione bit her lip pensively upon hearing that, “I wouldn’t say that refusing should put them automatically on a list as a sympathizer but I agree it would be a reason to check them out more thoroughly. On the reverse side we should make sure that oath is airtight so that we know that anyone who takes the portkey is someone we can trust not to attack the others in a given safe house. If done right it should certainly help separate the sheep from the goats but we have to be careful. If it goes wrong it’ll be a very public fiasco and public relations nightmare.”

Daphne nodded, “True. Well that’s down the road a bit so we can take our time creating an airtight plan. First though we have to see if old Sluggy will help.”

“No,” Harry said. “First we need to eat.”

“Here, here!” Ron agreed.

The girls laughed but agreed and they ordered lunch. After lunch they ran into Ginny and Dean. Daphne asked if they wanted to come along. Dean looked curious but when Ginny said they didn’t have time he didn’t look upset at missing out.

Once out of earshot of the couple Hermione asked, “Why did you offer? I doubt its a pleasant memory for her.”

Daphne raised a golden eyebrow, “Being rescued by Harry like something out of a storybook not a pleasant memory?” After seeing that nobody but Ron was buying her act she sighed. “Okay, I was hoping to see if she was really over Harry yet or not.”

“It doesn’t matter Daphne,” Harry said. “I am with you and I’m not going to leave you for anyone else.”

She kissed his cheek, “Thank you Harry. I’m sorry but I can’t help feeling a little jealous over the girls in your life. I won’t let it get too bad though I promise.”

Professor Slughorn was happy to assist them, “I’m not sure I’ll fit down this pipe you describe young man but I admit I’d love the chance to get a look at the thing. Even after so long it must be an impressive sight! Lead the way my boy and I’ll be right behind you.”

On the way there he gave them the names of former students of his whom he said would be very helpful in setting up the foundation. Hermione took down their names and made notes about what books to look in for information on the requisite laws. She was still writing when they reached Myrtle’s bathroom.

“Myrtle was the first victim the previous time it got loose and her haunting has made this an even less likely place for others to search since then,” Harry said. “I sort of hope she won’t be there when we enter but if she is be polite please.”

Fortunately Myrtle was about her business elsewhere in the castle so they were able to enter the room without incident. “This is the sink that hides the passage,” Harry said. “I’m going to say ‘open’ in parseltongue now and it will reveal the tube we used last time.”

When he’d done that he had a problem as the tube wasn’t wide enough for him and Daphne together. “I hadn’t thought of that. There are two more doors that only a parseltongue can open so I can’t just send you ahead. Any ideas ladies?”

“Having tried asking for stairs Harry?” Hermione asked.

“Have you tried an enlarging spell?” Daphne asked.

“I haven’t tried either,” Harry admitted. He hissed out ‘Stairs’ in parseltongue but it didn’t work. Then he tried ‘ladder’ and that worked. “Still a bit cramped for two so I’ll try Daphne’s idea as well.” He pointed his wand at the opening and cast, “Dilatanda!”. The opening doubled in width along with the ladder and he smiled, “Professor would you like to go first?”

“It was your adventure my boy, you should go first,” Slughorn replied.

Harry nodded and looked at Daphne.

She nodded, “On three.” They went down together followed by Ron, Hermione, and the Professor. Once at the bottom Daphne made a face, “Goddess, but its disgusting down here. I’m going to move the bones to one side rather than vanish them as some of them are human bones and should be given a decent burial.” She waved her wand and the bones all piled up neatly in a corner. Then she started cleaning while waiting for the others.

“My word,” Slughorn said as he finished the climb. “That's the most work I’ve done in a dog’s age.” He fished a vial from an inner pocket and downed it in one gulp, “Ah, that’s much better. Anyone else need a stamina potion?” When the others declined he smiled, “Ah youth! It’s better than any magical potion.” Once he got his wind back and while Daphne was cleaning Horace Slughorn sent a patronus messenger to Amelia Bones to let her know about the human skeletons.

“I didn’t know you could make a patronus sir,” Hermione said.

Slughorn smiled, “It’s much easier on the legs than walking up to the owlery each time you need to send someone a message.”

He got a response before Daphne was finished cleaning. It said Amelia was sending two aurors to remove the remains and they’d be there after breakfast the next morning. Harry sent his own patronus messenger telling her they’d need a parseltongue to let them in and if they didn’t have one he would be happy to meet them her aurors after breakfast in the great hall and escort them to the bones.

Official reporting taken care of and cleaning done Harry faced a large circular door with an ouroboros symbol on it, “There is a large shed skin in the tunnel beyond this so be prepared. It scared me white when I first ran into it.”

Ron snorted, “That’s not how I remember it Harry but it’s still a good warning.”

He opened it and led them through the tunnel to the next door.

“Too bad the shed skin is so decayed,” Slughorn said. “It might be worth something by itself otherwise.”

“Have you been down here since Harry?” Daphne asked.

“No,” he said. “I’ve been to talk to Myrtle a few times but never all the way down here.”

“Maybe we should check the place out to see if there is anything there besides an ugly statue and a dead snake?” Daphne asked.

Harry blinked, “Maybe we should. Might not be today though. We have to come back tomorrow with the aurors and I doubt we can strip the basilisk of everything useful in one afternoon.” He opened the last door and led the way into the chamber of secrets.

The others had their wands lit as they entered but Harry knew they wouldn't be enough and didn't know how to light the giant green torches he'd seen last time. So he pointed his wand toward the ceiling and Daphne could feel the magic he pushed through it as he cast, "Lux Solarum Maximus!" A huge globe of light appeared above the chamber and the room became visible along with the corpse of the basilisk.

Harry grinned as he saw their expressions and his grin only widened when he heard Daphne shout, "Slytherin's Flaming Penis Potter! That's bloody huge!"
Sign up to rate and review this story