Categories > Comics > Calvin and Hobbes

Essential Advice And Guidance For New Cat Owners

by jacksonchameleons

I come fromCanada

Category: Calvin and Hobbes - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Humor - Warnings: [Y] - Published: 2016-02-02 - 1125 words

?Blocked

There is a lot that goes into taking care of a cat. If you're a first time cat owner, or even if you've had a cat for a while, this article can help you out. Read over it carefully and you should have no problem taking better care of your cats.


Be on the lookout for panting in cats. Panting in dogs is perfectly normal. If a cat is panting, it might indicate simple anxiety or overheating. On the other hand, it may a symptom of a more serious health problem. Contacting your veterinarian is a good idea, particularly for cats that have built up a history of respiratory difficulties over time.


Do you want to know if your cat is happy or not? Check out their tail. If the tail is standing up, they are happy. If the tail is moving back and forth quickly, don't mess with them. This will help you avoid any unpleasant encounters with your little feline friend.


Make sure to provide your cats with toys. Many people consider toys a need for dogs, but they do not feel the same about cats. Cats need stimulation throughout the day to remain healthy both mentally and physically. Toys can provide this. Keep your cats from boredom by remembering this tip.


Make sure to keep chemicals and dangerous substances away from your cat. Chemicals like antifreeze have a sweet taste. This encourages the cat to drink it, most often resulting in fatal consequences. Keeping your chemicals locked up in a cabinet will help to ensure that your curious cat does not end up ingesting poison.


Train your cat to tolerate a pet carrier. Introducing your cat to a carrier as a kitten can really help to make this easier. Cats are better trained by using patient encouragement. Put a nice blanket inside the carrier then leave it where the cat is most often. After some time, your cat will respond better to the carrier. Then, you will have no problem using the carrier.


Adequate medical care is essential for any cat, but this is especially true of stray cats that are made into pets. Spending prolonged time outdoors makes a cat more susceptible to parasites, diseases, and other unpleasant realities. If you take in a stray, a trip to the vet should be your top priority. Let the vet examine the cat and administer the appropriate vaccinations. This is for your cat's safety, your own safety, and your family's safety.


Your cat might not come running when you call, but most cats enjoy cuddling on their terms and time. Cats love to have their heads and backs pet. Not all cats like their tummies rubbed so be careful. Spending quality time with your cat will make lasting memories to look back on someday.


Ask if your veterinarian offers 24 hour emergency care. If they do not, get the number for an emergency care facility in your area. If your cat becomes ill in the middle of the night, you need someone to call immediately. Waiting can be quite dangerous, and even fatal at times.


Do not leave the door to your washing machine or dryer open if you have cats. This is a place where cats love to crawl and take a nap, but it can be very dangerous. You don't want to turn on the machine then find out your cat is in there. It will be very frightening for them and it may cause an injury.


If you have a senior cat, make sure to consider a senior blood panel at your annual veterinarian visit. A senior blood panel can give your veterinarian a glimpse inside your cat's body. It can tell about serious conditions, such as kidney failure or a liver that is not functioning properly. Your vet can then make suggestions to help your pet recover from any problems and live longer.


Before you travel with your cat, take a trip to the vet for a complete check up. Ask the vet to check on all immunizations to make certain that they are up to date. Find out if there are any additional heath concerns or precautions you need to consider if you are traveling outside of the country.


If you find you cat is harming furniture or other objects, it may be bored. Keep a few safe toys around for your cat to play with. Scratching posts can also deter your cat from scratching your furniture. Or, build a small cat house out of cardboard. Your cat will love having a place to hide, and the cardboard can also be used to scratch on!


Make grooming fun for your pet. Most kitties love to receive attention, and if you make your grooming session more about the attention, they will enjoy it. Alternate between brushing and petting your kitty, and make sure to talk to him during the grooming session too. You will both enjoy the time together, and your kitty will walk away looking great.


Buy a pet drinking fountain to prevent dehydration. Cats are attracted to running water, so a pet drinking fountain may help to encourage your cat to drink more. Proper hydration can cure and prevent a large number of feline health problems. Therefore, a pet drinking fountain could improve the health of your cat and reduce vet bills.


If you are considering removing your kitty's claws, look to other options first. Removing a kitty's claws is much like removing a human's fingernails. It makes it more difficult for him to use his paws, and it can be quite uncomfortable too. Instead, try trimming the nails regularly to keep them under control.


Cats are constantly grooming themselves, and this is why they rarely need a bath. If your cat gets into something particularly stinky, a bath will not hurt them. If your cat does not like water you might want to wear https://veiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2016/01/how-to-care-for-your-jacksons-chameleon.html that you do not get scratched. You might also want to enlist the help of a friend or family member.


If your dog and cat are best friends, be sure to keep them separate after flea treatment. Your dog's flea products are very hazardous for cats. Cats that come in contact with dog flea products often die. Be sure to use only cat products on your cat and only dog products on your dog.


Now you can probably see that it's really pretty simple to care for a cat. While they can be a handful when you first get them, it becomes easier over time. Use what you have learned in the above paragraphs to better care for your feline friend. It's a great pet to have and your cat will love you for a long time!
Sign up to rate and review this story