Categories > Anime/Manga > Attack on Titan > Two Halves of a Whole

#2

by zap_da_raikou

The Armored Titan and the 104th Cadet Corps MAJOR SPOILERS

Category: Attack on Titan - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Warnings: [!!!] [V] - Published: 2017-09-12 - 1820 words

?Blocked
Once again I have to say, MAJOR SEASON 2 AND MANGA SPOILERS!

Enjoy~~


I went back through the hole I had just made in the inner wall and proceeded into the ruined city to begin the trek to mine and Bertolt's rendezvous. I knew that this was going to be the hard part, for we had to make our way through the town dodging titans to get to the boats that were evacuating the population. Once I was certain there were no people around, I exited my titan form. The steam seemed to provide me with enough cover that I was able to slowly make my way down my previous form and onto the street. Our rendezvous location was a bell tower that was located a short distance from the inner wall. I hit the ground running and kept my eyes and ears open for any signs of danger. I wasn't afraid of getting caught, I knew that if I died in the line of duty, I would be hailed a hero back at home and then my family could live in peace. I hung on to that thought, that I would be proud to kill innocent people as long as the ones that really mattered would be okay.

When I finally saw the bell tower, I sprinted across countless bodies and yanked open the door. I was greeted with a knife to my throat and quickly sprang into self defense mode, only to see that it was Bertolt at the other end of the knife. I grinned at him and pulled him into an embrace, giving his back a hard smack.

"You were great out there, Bertolt!" I exclaimed quietly. He gave me a grin placed a hand on my shoulder.

"So were you. You sure made rubble out of that wall. They'll definitely tell stories about us for years to come. Did you see if Annie made it onto the ships?" I smirked at this. I've known how Bertolt felt about Annie since we got into this land.

"I'm sure she did. We both know how tough she is. I wouldn't worry too much." I removed my bag from my shoulders and pulled out some rations for me and Bertolt. I opened up a small box of crackers after tossing one to Bertolt. We sat in silence for a few minutes, listening to the sounds of screams and footfalls.

"What do you think happened to the secret weapon?" Bertolt asked after he finished his box. I finished chewing the crackers in my mouth before I answered him.

"I don't know. I was thinking about that also. I wish they had trusted us more to at least tell us their name. We don't know if they made it or anything. Now we're going to get to the Cadet Corps without knowing which of those devils is actually on our side."

"Do you think Annie knows?" Bertolt asked as he stood up and loaded his bag.

I shrugged and looked toward the direction of the door. "I doubt it. We were all at the same briefing and we left right after. I don't see when there would be time to tell her." I stood up and figured we spent enough time lingering. It was time to go.

"So, how are we doing this? Are we running straight to the wall or are we going to try to flag down rescue?"

"We don't need rescue, Bertolt." I scoffed. "We can do this all on our own." I kicked the door open and was greeted by a wide eyed titan. I grabbed Bertolt's wrist and pulled him to the left, toward the wall and out of the titan's reach. My small legs were pounding against the road, kicking up dust. I released Bertolt's arm and began sprinting to the wall. Bertolt was doing the same and soon he overtook me. I clenched my teeth and pounded faster, trying to at least catch up. But I couldn't, he just kept getting farther ahead and the titan was right on my tail.

I am not weak. I am strong. I am a warrior.

I let out a feral cry and sprinted again. My lungs felt like they were on fire and my legs were getting heavier with each step, but I ignored all that. I caught up to Bertolt and I grabbed his wrist as I ran passed him. We quickly made it to the hole in the wall and saw that the last boat was about to leave.

"Reiner! Let's hurry!" This time Bertolt grabbed my wrist and we ran to the last boat calling out to those aboard to not leave without us.

"Wait! Please!" I called out in desperation. The Garrison troops on board the boat starting scurrying about, trying to asses what to do in this situation.

"Hold the boat! There's children down there!" One of the soldiers called out and the boat slowed but didn't completely stop. Me and Bertolt were now running along side the boat but we were running out of land. Then a rope was thrown and we both caught it and held on as the soldiers pulled us up into the boat. We crashed onto the deck, both breathing heavily.

"Wow, are you kids alright?" One of the soldiers asked. "You two are very lucky to be alive." I continued heaving, but placed my hand on Bertolt's shoulder.

"Yea," I said in between breaths. "I guess we are."

xxxxxxxxx

I looked down at the water as the boat cut through it on its way to the refugee site inside Wall Rose. Apparently, after the Armored Titan broke through Wall Maria, all of humanity had to be brought into Wall Rose. We would be staying there for the duration, living in hunger and poverty, becoming nothing but a burden to the real inhabitants of Wall Rose.

"I hate the thought of being nothing but a nuisance to people." I said out loud. Mikasa and Eren turned to me but didn't say anything. "I mean, surely there is something more we can do, something that can drive these fucking things out."

"Rayne." Mikasa stood and walked closer to me. "What exactly do you think you can do? What can one person do?"

"It's not about what one person can do Mikasa." Eren said as he stood and looked out toward Shiganshina. "It's about what a group of people can do."

"No." Mikasa gave a curt nod. "We are not having this discussion again Eren." Eren brought a fist down on the railing of the boat startling me and pulling Armin from his nap.

"And why the hell not?!" He turned to Mikasa and I could see the fire in his eyes. They burned with a hate and determination that I admired. I felt the same fire growing in my heart since I saw the Colossal Titan kick the wall in. "I swear Mikasa, sometimes I just don't understand you! How can you be so compliant with living this kind of life? Aren't you tired of living like cattle? Don't you ever want to get out from beyond these walls and see what lies beyond? Remember Armin's book? Don't you remember the ocean?"

I gasped. I could remember the ocean, the smell of the salt and fish next to me, the rocking of the small sail boat I was on. My mother, her hair glowing in the sun and blowing in the breeze beautifully.

I was brought back to reality by the sound of my name being called.

"Well Rayne? Are you in?" I turned my head in confusion.

"Uh, in? In what exactly?" Eren clasped his hand to his forehead and heaved a great sigh.

"Geez, Rayne, weren't you listening at all? I'm going to join the Cadet Corps in a couple of years. I'm going to train and become a soldier in the Scout Regiment. I am going to drive out every last titan until I get you, Mikasa and Armin to the ocean." He reached his hand out to mine and I clasped it hard, his grip fueling my desire to fight as well. "Are you in?" I felt the fire of determination in my heart grow until in consumed my entire body.

"Yes, I'm in. I'll join the Cadets with you. Maybe I can also figure out the secret to my own identity. I admire your fight Eren, I really do. But I am in the dark about myself almost as much as the three of you. If I am going to fight fully alongside you, I need to know who I am. And I'm not even sure how to go about doing that. What if it's not in the Scouts? You're mom," Eren turned away from me. "Your mom told me that I must've hit my head or suffered an accident of some kind and that's why I can't remember anything. I don't think I can be a soldier just yet. I'm with you Eren, but I can't be with you fully until I get with myself."

"Then we will help you, Rayne." Armin stood and put his hand on my shoulder. "We will help you become whole again." I smiled and placed my hand on his. I looked over at Eren and Mikasa and they smiled at me as well, nodding their heads in agreement.

"Thank you, all of you." I looked out in the direction of the setting sun and knew that this was a turning point for all of us.

/

"Listen up! The 104th Cadet Corps Class entrance ceremony has begun! I am your commandant, Keith Sadies, and I can assure you, you will not get pity nor empathy from me! Also I wouldn't expect a warm welcome, as you all are nothing but fodder to be fed to Titans! You are nothing but livestock, lower than livestock! Over the course of these next three years, you all are going to be trained in the ways of fighting titans! When you reach the end of the three years, will you still only be food for the titans, will you be the soldier that stands and fights as the barrier that protects His Majesty, or will you wield the blade that sets on destroying and driving out the titans, all in the name of humanity?! That, you worthless cattle, is for you to decide!"

Yes. It was for me to decide. I had no idea who I was, or where I came from, but with my fist over my heart I will decide who I can be. I can choose my own path. I can choose the life I want to live.

A/N: Okay so I'm sorry if Reiner's POV is alil off, I'm trying to make it sound as much like Reiner as I can and if it's off or you guys have any suggestions please let me know!

~~XXXO
Sign up to rate and review this story