Categories > Original > Drama

Oedipus Revisited

by hermitrisin 0 reviews

"There was nothing to reflect."

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-06-29 - Updated: 2008-06-29 - 983 words - Complete

0Unrated
Author's Note: If you've read my story "Oedipus", this is a thematic companion to it, but not a sequel.

Finally he passed out of town and onto the vast empty highway. It was hot, the sky was bruised with the dry seclusion, flushed with the effort of lightening.

There were no cars. The blank asphalt was blinding, cauterizing his eyes against the reflection. His shoes stuck to it.

He didn't know where he was going, reveling in the simple precision of his movement out. There was nowhere to go. he took it all in unconsciously, sickened by the sight as it forced him down. He was numb, free in the absence of clarity, welling with the indescribable sensations of leaving, of abandonment that exploded over his skin and deranged his senses to deal with it.

A car went by, frantically, suddenly, appalling in this dense wilderness, a great flash of neon metal affronting the sky.

He turned from it, horrified, and ran into the desert. The air tore at his legs, bearing them down. He closed his eyes and let it take him, convinced it was trying desperately to hold him still.

They flew open again, bearing him back into the desert, brilliant ahead of him, glowing because of itself. There was nothing to reflect.

It spread out in front of him, writhing closer, a gleaming and incredible chaos spread out in front of him, possessed of a strange and virile sheen. The snakes twisted out of themselves, a heaving mass, gold penetrating gold in a constant aberrating convulsion in and out of the ground, as if there was no separation. It was completely silent, the sky itself showed reverence. They were eating each other.

He sat to watch them, lowering himself with a vague reverence to the burning ground, brutal as it hit his thighs. The sky split open, suddenly, forcing the brightness of the scales into his eyes, cauterizing them, forcing it in. immaculate.

He was afraid to forget it as the sight swept over him, soaking him vividly with a rancid sweat, spiraling down his back. His legs splayed and twisted with a strange vibration. It filled him with an alien exaltation, forcing his gaze towards the mass of shining skin. The air was still and touched it with a green smoke, bending the light around it. He threw his head back violently, breathing heavily, opening himself unbearably to the thick sound. Even turned from it, the sight pressed in on his chest, pushing past him, drawing him up and out, towards an unseen and inexplicable pinnacle.

Panting wildly, unable to hear the thick breath over his lips, he felt his mouth gaping wide open, the dry heat splitting his lips open. His mouth went dry; his throat thick with mucus. The snakes slide over his knees and between his thighs, engulfing him. His mouth stretched open, a deep red gash in his paled face, screaming wildly begging, his voice to drown out the loose orgiastic weight of his breath as they surged over him, blacking out the sun.

It was dark when he woke up again, the sky black and covered with clouds. He was alone.

There were no stars. Under the abysmal arch of the sky the desert spread out vast and impenetrable around him, centering around his prostrate body, flat on his back in the dust, his skin spongy, cold and crawling with a strange sense of defilement. Darkness all around him. He blinked and colors swam around his eyes in quick succession. Bursts of intense vibration over his skin. He put his palms to the ground and wept, flat to feel it pressed hot into his hands, dry like dead skin.

He laughed, tears burning with dust in his eyes as he traced the ground with his fingers. Defining it. It tore his throat wildly, surging back through his fingertips to choke him. Out here there is no sound. It sruck him, throwing him back into the ether, suffocating on himself, utterly abandoned to the thrust of the desert air. There was nothing to give up, closing his eyes alone. It's the best part!

He stood up again, rushing the blood out of his head, flooding his limbs heavy and strange. He stood still, staring out vacantly into his eyelids, glowing red as the desert seeped in. His ears throbbed with a metallic buzz, overwhelming, rocking his spine back on it ferally. He was drunk on it, astounded. Shaking wildly with his lips drawn back over his teeth, he looked up, bearing his eyes to the vacant air.

There was nothing. He didn't want the sun to come. Watching the horizon he felt sick; if it came he'd have to go back. To that or something new, more terrible with the stench of the unknown and too cataclysmic. Eating itself. To leave this circumcision of the void.

He wanted to sink down and go deeper into the night where he couldn't move.

Eating himself.

He waited, still and silent in the cooling air, with his eyes open, reflecting bright onto the empty sky.

As the sun came up he screamed, and tore at his eyes with short nails; baptizing himself in a flood of blood and pale fluids. It peirced him with a white heat, rending his lips apart, cracked on the smooth plain of his cheeks and flowed in a thin red river to the parched earth. A strange sacrifice, ominous and bent in on itself. Feeling the slickness ride him as he sweated in the morning heat he laughed. Long and high over the white, dry ground; vast splendor carved around his legs and splayed out remorselessly. Shaking with it, alive with it, he touched his cheek and spread the sticky sheen wet down his neck, sinking to the ground with it. Fading in the light of the sun spread like eternity over him.

Sign up to rate and review this story