Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Boy, The Man, The Beast

Insulted

by Moonshyne 0 reviews

John makes a confrontation what will it cost him?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Lupin - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2008-07-02 - Updated: 2008-07-02 - 3700 words

2MarySue
John loved his job at St. Mungos and after what happened with Remus and feeling so helpless, he vowed to learn about muggle medicine too. His reputation for being an exceptional healer and passion for learning alternatives to magical healing was far and wide. John had the choice of working where ever he wanted at the hospital and chose Dai Llwellyn Ward. Who would've know this would change his life forever.

On the morning after the full moon a boy about ten years old was brought in, he was suffering from werewolf bites. Who would do this to a child? John saved the boy’s life however, he had to give the parents the werewolf speech. He never had done this for a child before. John did his best to explain.

“You see that what normally happens with adults a week before the full moon the victim gets very agitated, and there might be some extra hair growth this all leads up to the full moon. The night of the full moon, when the moon has risen more than half in the sky your son will start his transformation, the werewolf is a larger then a regular wolf and there are small physical differences between the two. He must go through these transformations alone because at the end of it all he will be a blood thirsty animal, he’ll attack and kill you in a heartbeat. During the transformation itself your son will be in an awful lot of pain it’s as if every bone in his body is breaking restructuring and mending itself and at moonset the whole thing works in reverse. Because they are locked up and can’t feed off their human prey, they will attack themselves. You will probably have to bring him here for treatment. There is a possibility that he would not survive a transformation. The ministry will require that you register him. With children you have three options."

"One, let life go on as normal as possible but remember your son will always be fighting the wolf for his mind. Though physically it’s a once a month transformation mentally and emotionally it is a constant battle. Two, turn him over to the ministry and let them take care of your son. I hear they just set up a nice housing facility for children. Lastly, a mercy killing. Since the ministry considers him a beast, it will not be viewed as murder and no one will be sent to Azkaban. This is a huge decision and one not to be taken lightly, if you choose to try to lead normal lives you will need to make sure you have a secure place for him to transform as he is strong and will try to escape. Good luck and I’m sorry for your ordeal.”

“He’s entering Hogwart’s in the fall; will he still be able to go?”

“I’m afraid not, if he were to hurt any other student or staff, he could be put to death by the Department of Dangerous Creatures.”

Blending in the background was a man listening very intently to what John had to say. After a half hour the parents came back with a decision. “We want to turn him over to the ministry. We have three other children, and it wouldn’t be fair to them.”

“I’ll owl the ministry, and they’ll send someone over.”

John knew it was a heart wrenching decision for them but probably the best. There was no reason why the other children should suffer. And if he attacked one of them, John just wanted to put thought out of his head. At the same time a man that who watching was very pleased at their decision. John wrote a letter and went to the hospital owlery, there was only one there. It must be a new one because he did not recognize it. He attached the letter “Ministry of Magic, Werewolf Division.” The owl took off.

However, the owl did not go to the Ministry, it went to the man that was lurking in the hospital.

The stranger told the boys parents that he was a representative from the ministry and took the boy. Since the ministry never showed, no one was the wiser and Douglas Cummings became an unregistered werewolf.

After the horrible day he had, John was happy to go home. Remus was four now and the smartest little thing. He loved being read to and Heather was helping him to learn how to read. Remus was still smaller than most kids his age but he wasn’t as sickly as he used to be. The only thing that John worried about was Heather’s constant coddling. He was thankful that Remus was entering St. George’s in the fall. The boy needed friends and independence that he wasn’t getting at home. Other than that life was perfect. They were living in their house in Rhayader until Remus started school, then they would move back to London for the school year. St. George’s was interesting because the school accepted witches and wizards of primary age until they were ready for a school of magic. They had a special section of the school for their special students with their own counselor. That is, as long as you could afford the costs because it was very expensive.

The next month there was another child bitten by a werewolf. This time it was a girl who was nine years old. The parents wanted to try to keep her home. Just as they were about to leave they were approached by a man. The man told them of his facility and how this would greatly help their child. If they wanted to try on their own but if at any time they changed their mind he would be more than happy to help. John noticed the man talking to the parents, he knew he had seen the face before but couldn’t place him.

Another month went by and John was working the night of the full moon again. And what had happened the previous two months happened again. Another child was bitten, this one a ten years old, and they couldn’t save her. He noticed the man again and finally remembered him from the first bite two months previously, finally he approached him.

“May I ask what you’re doing here?”

“Just trying to help some poor souls.”

“But you’re here before the ministry is contacted, how would you know unless,” John’s voice trailed off at the sudden realization this is the werewolf that has been biting the children. “Get out you monster!! Don’t come back here again!! I’m contacting the ministry now!!!

“Fenrir Greyback is a name that you will never forget, Healer!!” With that, he ran out and apparated.

By the time the ministry descended upon St. Mungo’s, Greyback was long gone. They finally finished questioning him an hour after his shift had ended. He could feel something move in his pocket. He took out his mirror.

“Sweetheart, are you coming home soon? It is after all Remus’ birthday and he would dearly love to see you.”

John was beside himself, he forgot his son’s birthday. Damn Fenrir Greyback “I’m leaving in five minutes.” John left the hospital and apparated to the house in Rhayader for an intimate get together, they were having a very large party on the weekend. After a small cake, it was just the four of them, he was allowed to open his presents. Florry gave him Peter rabbit pyjamas, John and Heather gave him the complete set of Beatrix Potter books, along with a stuffed Peter Rabbit that he adored. They had one final surprise which was being kept outside.

“Please put on your coat and hat and gloves we’re going outside.”

“Can Peter come?”

“No, it’s too cold for Peter, come on now.”

Remus put his coat on a John and Heather led him to the stables. There he saw a beautiful white pony.

“Happy Birthday, Remus. What are you going to name your pony?”

The white horse mane reminded Remus of the story of Camelot and Merlin’s long white beard.

“Merlin”

“When it gets warm you can start taking riding lessons. Let’s go back up to the house.”

Remus gave his new horse a big hug.

After the trip to the barn Heather got Remus ready for bed, while John mulled over the events of the day. He decided it was best not to alarm anyone unduly. Greyback was smart enough not to hang around, nor did he know where they lived.

The months flew by and John had all but forgotten about the threat from Greyback. It was the end of July and they were starting to get ready to transfer back to London. John received an owl from St. George’s; it was a list of the magical parents and the children that would be attending the school. There would be a special get together on August 14th, between two and five o’clock. The timing was good as it wouldn’t interfere with their moving back to London on the 21st.

“Heather, sweetheart I have a list of other magical families whose children will be attending St. George’s and you won’t believe who is at the top of the list?”

“Who?”

“Orion and Walburga Black. Their son Sirius is attending.”

“The ones who Black listed you from major social event since we got married? Sorry for the pun I couldn’t resist.”

“Yes because I muddied my blood line. I’ll take my muddied blood line over their 'pure blood' attitudes any day. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I must thank him, he saved me from all those snooty parties. How can I give up an opportumity of being home with my beautiful wife and reading my beautiful child to sleep. No society pure blood party can top that. You know what’s funnier their blood line is muddier than mine, they disown all relatives that have married or associate with muggles in order to keep the blood pure.”

“Blood is blood.”

“They’re delusional. Not only that Orion and Walburga are second cousins, they married just to keep the blood line pure.”

Looking further down the list. “Well at least the Potters will be there with their son, James. He’s about five months older then Remus. I hope that they can be friends. The Potters are very well known and respected wizarding family. It would be good for Remus to have a friend like him.”

“I remember them from the wedding they were an older couple, right?”

“Yes, they never thought they would have children but I’m happy for them. I’m sure they dote on James as much as we do Remus.”

“Do you think that the Blacks dote on their son, Sirius?”

“Are you kidding me? The heir to the Black name, he’s spoiled rotten. I feel bad for the younger son, left in the shadow.”

John sent an owl back to St. George’s saying we’d be delighted to attend this get together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



At the same time at Twelve Grimmauld Place in London, Orion Black was disgusted as how such a distinguished school as St. George’s could let the likes of the blood traiting Potters and that low life Lupin in. Orion changed his mind and decided that Sirius would be home schooled instead
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Potters house was ecstatic when they read the notice, and were very excited to meet the Lupin boy. The Lupins were banned from all pure blood activities and most other social activities due to their marriage. The Potters went to the wedding and was overjoyed to be able to see the happy and beautiful couple again. They had heard rumors that the birth of their son was very traumatic and they decided to keep him to themselves.

“James, we’re going to a get together at St. George’s, there will be lots of children there, but we were hoping you could take a young man by the name of Remus Lupin under your wing. I don’t think he has had many friends.”

“Sure Mom.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Remus,” called John. “I have some exciting news for you.”

Remus came bolting down the stairs.

“Really, what is it?”

“There is going to be a reception at St. George’s and you will meet some new friends.”
Remus was beaming from ear to ear. He never had any friends before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had taken him months to figure out where the healer lived but he finally found the right place. He watched carefully for weeks, watching their habits. His original plan was to bite the healer himself however he was delighted in the fact that they had a very young son. A child so young he was not even in kindergarten yet. He had never bitten any one so young however there was a first time for everything. Maybe the healer will beg him to take the boy, and how could he refuse such a noble request.

Every Tuesday and Thursday Remus would take Merlin out for a ride with his riding instructor. He always brought Peter with him, but left him in the barn while he went for his lesson. Fenrir had watched this carefully for the last few weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was August 12th and the day progressed as any Thursday normally did, except the son was unusually energetic. He seemed very excited about something that just might work to his advantage. Tonight, under the full moon, was the night of sweet revenge.

After Remus went for his riding lesson, because it was such a beautiful night, they decided to eat outside. They played with Remus outside for awhile. It was getting dark but Remus saw a field of fireflies and wanted to chase them.

“Please mommy.”

He had that look in his eyes that Heather could not resist.

“Ten minutes.”

Remus placed Peter on a wall by the field and started chasing the fireflies and trying to catch them in his hands. Remus was running around having so much fun he had so much to look forward to. He wondered if his new friends would like to chase fireflies too. Fenrir saw the opportunity and took Peter. He then apparated as he would start the transformation soon. Because he embraces the transformation and doesn’t fight it, it doesn’t hurt that much. This is what he teaches the children he raises.

“Remus, time to come in.”

“Yes, mom.”

Remus ran to the house forgetting about Peter. His mother gave him a bath then he had a snack. John sat by the fireplace in the library and read to him from Camelot for the hundredth time. John looked at the clock it was time for bed.

“Where’s Peter?” asked Heather.

“I left him outside by the firefly field.”

“Do you remember exactly where you left him?”

Remus nodded yes. Heather didn’t usually let Remus out this late, but she didn’t want to spend the next half hour to an hour looking for Peter.

“Put your slippers on and run outside to get him”

Meanwhile Fenrir was a fully transformed werewolf. He brought the stuffed rabbit in his mouth and placed it on the wall, where he hid behind waiting for his unsuspecting prey. Sure enough he heard small footsteps coming closer. He waited until he could smell him.

Remus got to Peter and found him to be wet.

“Ah gross, he’s all wet.”

Just then a large dog appeared, Remus screamed and started to run, the dog caught up and bit him in the right shoulder and then kept attacking. The wolf never tasted such young fresh blood.

John was sitting with Heather in the kitchen when he heard the scream. He ran out and grabbed his wand. He saw that the dog had something in his mouth; it was too large to be another animal. It was Remus. John tried to hex the dog, but it got away. He ran down to Remus who at this point was badly bleeding. John apparated Remus to St. Mungo’s leaving Heather behind.

Heather watched the whole thing before her and then watched as John apparated with Remus. She started crying knowing it was serious if he didn’t even wait for her. How was she going to get there? Then she saw the fireplace. She knew it was the powder that held the magic properties. She grabbed some and said St. Mungo’s. After a dizzying trip she arrived somehow at the right place.

“I think my husband just brought my son here.”

“Oh, Mrs. Lupin, yes he went to the Dai Llwellyn Ward. That was your son? I’m so sorry.”

When John arrived at St. Mungo’s it was the first time he noticed the bite. He almost dropped Remus then and there. Seamus came running. “John what happened?”

“I think he was bitten by a werewolf.”

“Let’s get him to the Dai.”

Heather made her way to the ward, and there she found John with many others tending to Remus’ various bites and scratches. She bit her lower lip trying to fight back the tears. Just then Seamus noticed her there.

“John leave him to us, Heather needs you now.”

He turned around quickly and saw his beautiful wife trying to fight the tears. John ran over to her and held her and started to cry on her shoulder. Heather’s mind was racing trying to figure out what John was so incapable of telling her. He couldn’t be dead they’re still working on him. Was he in this ward because Seamus and John worked here or was there another reason? It was just a dog that bit him wasn’t it?”

“I’m sorry,” John sobbed “I’m so so sorry. I should have told you when it happened but I didn’t think it was important.”

“John, what are you talking about?”

John was trying really hard to compose himself. “A few months ago for three months in a row there were children bitten by a werewolf all of them under the age of secondary school. After the third case I noticed a man who had been hanging around for all three bites. The strange thing about it was he was here before we notified the ministry. The only ones who should know about the bite before the ministry is the family or..”

“The werewolf that bit him.”

“I called him a monster, threw him out and contacted the ministry. That’s why I was late for Remus’ party. I was answering questions. Before he left he told me that Fenrir Greyback is a name I’ll never forget. I guess he was right.”

“And Remus?”

“Was bitten by a werewolf.”

“You can cure him can’t you? Everyone says you’re the best at healing and curing bites?

“Not this one, there is no cure.”

“What will become of Remus?”

“Every month at moon rise he will transform into a deadly werewolf.”

“But he won’t attack us, right?.”

“Heather sweetheart, Remus’ mind will not be his own. The wolf only distinguishes between human and non-human. His prey is human.”

Seamus came over and gave Heather a huge hug. “I’m so sorry. Remus is hanging on by a thread it would be easy to put him down now. He will not suffer.”

Heather turned to John “Put him down???”

“Heather, the transformations will be very painful. He'll have to be locked up by himself on the full moon. With no prey werewolves tend to mutilate themselves. There is a constant fight between the human mentality and the wolf mentality especially the week before and after the full moon. For these reasons some people tend to have the person bitten killed by the Ministry’s Disposal of Dangerous Creatures Department.”

“You’re kidding? Is that what you want for Remus?”

”Remus is close to death now and would not have to endure a ministry killing.”

“Is that what you want for our son?” cried Heather.

John shook his head “No. I’m telling you the options.” He had said these words so many times in a matter of fact manner, but this was the hardest thing to tell his wife. He never will again drone through the 'werewolf speech'.

“There are other options?”

“We give him over to the ministry and they will raise him. We give him to Greyback to let him embrace the wolf inside of him. We raise him as to be as normal as possible, and we find a cure.”

“There really is only one option for me and I pray to God that you agree. The miracle of magic saved him once maybe it can save him again.”

“Seamus, you heard my wife, please save our son.”

At the same time in the castle far away, in a book listed under 1971 first years next to Remus' name the words DENY - WEREWOLF appeared.

The next day Remus was resting comfortably, though he was still unconscious. He had lost a lot of blood the night before. There was a package delivered to the hospital it was for John. He opened it and there was Remus’ Peter Rabbit and a note. “Thought the boy would want this. Beware of who you insult. Yours Truly, Fenrir Greyback. P.S. Originally it was going to be you that I bit, but this turned out so much better and his fresh young blood tasted so good.” John took the box outside to the alley and lit the rabbit and the note on fire; he never wanted to see either one again.

As he walked in there were representatives from the Werewolf Registry and Werewolf Support Services waiting to speak to both of them. These are divisions within the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.
Sign up to rate and review this story