Harry gets a new suit, and Dobby pays him a visit. The Grangers pick Harry up at the airport... along with a friend. Lockhart manhandles Harry, Hogwarts needs a new DADA Professor
- I really like Remus and Sirius figuring things out. I hope Remus has the sense he didn't show in PoA and does make friends with Harry.
As for Bruce Banner, well, on the off chance Snape reverts to his old self, he might want to visit Snape for a talk. We'll see if Snape makes him angry or not Also glad Lockhart has come and gone. Hermione should only pine for Harry
Author's response- There are times I really like Remus, and there are times when I despise the man. This is going to be the first fic I actually try to have him as more than a one or two scene cameo...
- Ooh. Jadejaws vs. Greasy Bat....
- Another great chapter, Chell. I particularly liked how you handled Lockhart. It was a transitional chapter, alright, but you handled the transition in a way that avoided a loss of pace or weakening of storytelling.
Am I breaking a confidence by revealing that Harry's bodyguard/PA is, in fact, the She-Hulk? She might not have Cousin Bruce's talent for raw destruction but she can rumble with the best of them... She has a 'hit first, ask questions later' philosophy too, IIRC.
I liked the catastrophe in Harry's past. It would explain why he is more hesitant than usual. I also think that is why he is more methodical (Ravenclaw over Gryffindor traits) as he realises that he has to get it right to stop people from getting hurt. We saw that in action in how he handled Dobby, avoiding a lot of future troubles.
Finally, I am going to find it very interesting to follow what Sirius and Remus are planning. Sides will have to be chosen and it is increasingly clear that there are more than two at Hogwarts these days.
Well, we're off to Year 2! The fact that the holder of the Diary hasn't been revealed yet makes me hope there might be a surprise in store for us, maybe even an OC.
Can't wait to see the Mk4 suit!
Until Voldemort reveals his adoration of pink lacy underthings on men, make mine HP&tIT. :-D
BenRG's Rating: 8/10
Author's response- I needed to get rid of Lockhart, because I didn't need him, and generally despise his type. Jen seemed the best way of making him go away without someone having to kill him.
- So far, no one has been fooled by my not coming out and telling everyone who she it... Though Hermione is going to be pissed next chapter.
- I'm torn in my attitude toward Remus. When he was used well in canon, I liked him a lot, but his ignoring Harry for all those years (for the greater good no doubt) is a lot of karma to overcome... coupled with what I persieve to be his abandoning his pregnant wife in DH (Sure they got back together, but still). I'm going to TRY to redeem him in my mind at least. Harry will come to know his semi-uncles, and hopefully like them.
- Well, I don't know how much of a surprise...
- Am I detecting a fellow member of the MMMS?
- ::Laughs uproariously:: I love what Jennifer Walters did to Lockhart and the git so thoroughly deserved it. 'Twill be interesting to see how this year goes, esp. if Dobby is "helping" instead of "hindering" (though, I'm not sure how much he'll really help Harry).
I do like the backstory and when/how Harry matured, psychologically, so fast which, as was pointed out above, accounts for why he ended up in Ravenclaw instead of Gryffindor. With that in his background, there's no way he'd go charging in without carefully thinking things through, first.
Oh, just a chuckle, imagine Jennifer Walters having a friendly visit with the Tonkses when some of Tommy's "boys" show up. Somehow I don't think they'd recover too quickly.
(#) whatareyouevensaying 2008-07-02 01:28:43 PMPretty good update, I think my favorite part was Sirius and Remus' conversation, though Lockhart flying across the bookshop was pretty strong too. Pity Hermione and Padma are infatuated with the git right now. Glad it won't last.
Looking forward to more.
- Sorry, did not get all the way through yet but Harry should know that Dobby is a house elf after getting them to change the food to orange during the Warden Dumbledolt chapter
Loved the 'Iron Man' movie characters talk
Looking forward to more
Author's response- uh..
- He didn't recognize a House Elf not wearing a chef's hat and white smock.
- Yeah that's the ticket. Harry thought House Elves dressed like little chefs...
- im glad that remus and sirius have their eyes open to dumbles' manipulations. hopefully this means he'll have more people looking out for him. and dobby! i love that crazy elf; looking forward to seeing him in more chapters:)
- I'm really enjoying your story. I liked your explanation of why Harry changed from a care-free child to the serious one you see at Hogwarts. Please keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this story and more of "Marriage Contracts".
- Like everyone else, I am really am enjoying your fic!!!
And like everyone else again, I am really looking forward to seeing where you go with this.
I had to agree with BenRG comment about the girl holding the diary is very confusing to me. I thought the one with it had to one of two girls that I consider empty headed enough to irritate Tom was Lavender and ...er.. Padma twin (no cannon books close. OOps?!?). Then I reviewed the chapter again, and realized you said the Moldyshorts had be careful going past the sorting had?.?.? Generva never struck as the empty headed type. See, confusing!
Again, thanks for the good and fun read.
May the MUSES always be with you!!!
Author's response- Thank you.
- Empty headed is in the eye of the beholder don't forget. The 16 year old Tom Riddle in the Diary was a Type A personality, a real driven asshole. From his perspective, an eleven year old girl who writes about cooking, cleaning, shopping, rumors she hears, and her father's odd hobbies would be very empty headed...
(#) PerfesserN 2008-07-03 11:36:08 AMExcellent job explaining Harry's type A+ personality. What's that line? I see it coming up in a yet unpublished chapter, wait, there it is . . . With great power comes great responsibility . . .
Of course, give any 9 year old of my acquaintance the power of chaos magic and she or he will see what makes the biggest fireball when it's blown up!
I especially liked the scene in a previous chapter where Harry and Padma surprise Hermione on her birthday - they had lots of fun that day, they were kids. How about letting them have some more harmless fun? Or . . . What were Harry's last words before waking up in the hospital? "Hey guys, watch this!"
In other words, let him be a kid s'more! I know, give them a competent teacher who makes the class fun.
Author's response- Oh no. I don't want someguy with cobwebs all over his footy jammies coming over and beating me up.
- I doubt that I'll do another Talk like a Pirate day. It worked the first time because it was unexpected... They'll have to surprise Hermione some other way.
- Sorry Prof, you're not qualified to teach at Hogwarts. You show dangerous signs of competence...
- now that im caught up, i will say i have been thouroughly enjoying the fic.
looking forward to seeing more soon.
i see that you are starting to have the adults note and show concern at how close the kids are.
anyway. hope the next chapter comes soon!