Categories > Original > Drama

Burning Up

by Jamette006 0 reviews

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2008-07-03 - Updated: 2008-07-04 - 1142 words - Complete

0Unrated
"Here you go, baby. I got you a drink." McKenzie handed the mixed Red Bull and Vodka to Joe, placing herself in his lap, stroking his hair.

"Thanks." He replied, taking a long sip of it and wrapping his arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him, exchanging body heat. He took another sip, glancing around the party, and noticed the front door open, two people spilling in from the warm, summer night.

He swallowed fast and almost threw the drink back up. Blood was rushing to his head, he felt dizzy, and his eyes were bulging. It couldn't be - it couldn't be her.

Joe squinted his eyes, trying to see through the clusters of people obscuring his vision. But sure enough, a small group of party-goers moved, allowing him to see her.

Her long blonde hair was fastened into two braids that hung down her back, swinging as she walked. Her ice blue eyes were lined with black, making them appear brighter than ever, almost outdoing her blinding Crest-white smile. She was in a tight, fishnet shirt that stopped a good couple of inches before her belly button, with a hot pink sports bra underneath. Her skirt was obscenely short, and she was wearing bright pink heels, on the arm of some kid Joe recognized as being the goalie of the hockey team. Their eyes met and she smiled flirtaciously at him, winking.

"Holy. Shit." He muttered, his drink slipping out of his hand, the contents splattering all over the leg of his white skinny jeans. McKenzie's calves were sprayed with Red Bull, and she wrinkled her nose, standing up.

"What's the matter?" She asked, wiping the beads of liquid off of her legs, following Joe's gaze to the girl.

"Do you know her or something?" She snapped, folding her arms.

"You could say that..." Joe said absentmindedly, running his hands through his hair. He redirected his attention to McKenzie, plastering an innocent smile on his face.

"It's nothing. You're so much more gorgeous, baby."

She smiled half-heartedly, sitting down on his lap, more gingerly this time. Her brown eyes were following the girl as she made her way into the party, and McKenzie whipped her head around to face Joe, pointing a manicured, painted-black nail at the girl.

"Who is the skank?" She snipped, her eyes bruning holes into Joe. Joe looked at her and studied her face, and for the first time saw an emotion she never once portrayed before. They were mixed with anger, sadness, and insecurity. McKenzie was the most self-confident girl he knew, and that's exactly why he was attracted to her.

"Just some girl I knew." He replied, taking a sip of the Red Bull a boy at the party had handed him seconds before.

"She was just one of my hook ups. A really slutty one, at that. She was always trying to get with me after; we kind've had a history, but it's nothing now." He snaked his arms around her waist, nuzzling her neck.

"I've got you, baby, and you're so much better."

He was in the kitchen, his hands shaking. His breathing was becoming faster and heavier as he tried to mix the alcohol with the Red Bull. He lifted the glass bottle up, squinting at the label.

"Stop moving, dammit." He slurred. He shrugged, not even caring if this was Vodka, and poured it, missing the glass.

"Shit!" He slammed the bottle down on the counter and turned around, pressing his back to it and sliding down, his head hanging low.

"Need help?" He raised his head, meeting the gaze of that same blonde girl who had entered the party earlier. His mouth dropped slightly, not enough so that he looked shocked, only drunk.

"Need help, Joseph?" She repeated, raising an eyebrow, smirking.

"Help...no." He slurred, standing up and stumbling a bit.

"I'm...I'm okay." He smiled, walking backwards, stopping just before he landed outside onto the back deck. She walked towards him, grabbing his tie, playing with the fabric.

"It's been a long time since I last saw you, Joey." She whispered, her hands sliding from the satin fabric of the tie to his shirt, pushing him backwards, out the door. She closed it behind them and took a step closer, her eyes burning into him.

"Uh, yeah. Yeah." He said, stuffing his hands into his pockets. He was drunk but he knew better than to put his hands on her hips; he knew better than to egg her on. He had a girlfriend and his intake of alcohol didn't make him forget that. Still, he stumbled and fell down, laying on his back.

"It's been a long time since I last kissed you." She purred, kneeling down over him, straddling him. Her finger was tracing his lips. He swallowed hard, shutting his eyes. She was back and she was hitting on him. Shit McKenzie; where are you when I need you?

"Yeah. But it-it's cool though." He stuttered, sliding backwards, standing back up. "I mean, I'm not sure McKenzie would appreciate it."

"McKenzie?" She frowned, folding her arms.

"Who the hell is McKenzie?"

"M-My girlfriend. She's somewhere in the party." He laughed nervously, throwing up a hand.

"Bett-better go find her." It was great how it only took a slutty past fling to help him regain soberness. He started to walk when she grabbed his collar, nearly choking him.

"My name's Chelsea, not McKenzie. I'm your girlfriend; she's not,"Chelsea sneered, pulling him by the tie, luring him in.

"Chelsea, I can't. No-not now, no." Joe said quietly, his voice stern, massaging his throat.

She dove in for a kiss; their lips pressed together, his hands finding their way onto her delicate hips. She let her tongue slip into his mouth and he almost choked on it; it was tainted with lies and the haunting taste of the past.

"Whoa, sorry to interrupt. I didn't m-Joe, is that you?" A voice yelped, and Joe spun around, detangling himself from Chelsea.

"Kenzie, it's not what it looks like." He closed his eyes. That was such a bull-shit movie line.

"Okay, it is what it looks like, but I wasn't hooking up with her."

"Fine. Then what were you doing?"McKenzie folded her arms, tapping her foot impatiently.

"I was going to find you."

"Sure you were."

"He was." Both McKenzie and Joe looked at Chelsea, shocked, and she smiled guiltily.

"He was; I kissed him." She walked towards the door, shrugging.

"Fine, whatever, I don't care. Kiss him all you want; he's not that good." She pushed her way through McKenzie and left the two, awkwardly staring at each other.

"Slut." He muttered, shaking his head. He took a step forward, getting lost in McKenzie's eyes.

"Whatever, I've got you, baby, and you're so much better."
Sign up to rate and review this story