Categories > Original > Drama

Eternity

by Jamette006 1 review

"Jaime?" She turned around and tilted her head. "Be careful driving home. He's trashed." He bit his lip and put his hands in his pockets. "I love you, Jaime. You're my best friend." A Kevin Jonas O...

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-07-03 - Updated: 2008-07-04 - 1574 words - Complete

0Unrated
"Kevin, Jaime is here!" Frankie's squeaky little voice woke Kevin from a short nap he had been taking. He sat up, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, and threw his hands through his hair before standing up out of bed.

"Be right down!" He called, making the bed. He fixed every inch of it until it had reached perfection, and jogged down the stairs. Entering the living room, his eyes rested on a girl who was on his couch, playing with his puppy, Cocoa.

"I hate to say it, but Cocoa here's getting cuter than you, Kev." She joked, her light green eyes twinkling playfully. She had shoulder-length, chocolate brown hair and a petite frame, from years of playing center in field hockey. She was a few months younger than Kevin, and the two had been best friends since 8th grade.

"Cocoa's always been cuter than you." Kevin retorted, grinning. Jaime rolled her eyes and stood up, grabbing her Voyager from her tiny jean shorts' pocket, pressing the touch screen and answering it.

"Hello?" She said, her voice going up a tiny bit higher than usual. Kevin chuckled under his breath; her voice always changed when she was on the phone. It was a habit of hers.

"Oh, hey Brett."

He narrowed his eyes; it was Brett. Brett, Jaime's good for nothing, drunk, low-life, captain of the football/hockey/baseball team boyfriend. Brett didn't treat Jaime well and Kevin had pointed that out before, but something about Brett was blinding Jaime from the harsh reality that was Brett.

"What? We're going - we're going where? Aaron's house?" Jaime swallowed and held the phone between shoulder and ear, lowering her eyes to the floor.

"A- another party? Babe, I'm not really feeling up - okay, okay, I'll go. Love you too. Bye." She ended the call and put her phone back into her pockets.

"Another party?" Kevin said, trying to make his voice sound more comforting than harsh.

"Yeah. Do you - can you- will you come?" Jaime requested, gathering her hair into a ponytail.

"Yeah." Kevin sighed. He hated these parties because everyone was into stuff he wasn't - alcohol, drugs, sex - but he always had to fulfill his role as a security blanket to Jaime.

"Thank you so much!" She shrieked, running over to him, her flip-flops making a thwack sound on the hardwood floor, wrapping her arms around him and giving him a friendly kiss on the cheek.

"Me and Brett will pick you up at 8:30."

"Kay. See you then." Kevin replied, watching Jaime sprint out the door, knowing full well that she was running at record speed to her big white house at the end of the street.

Kevin didn't know how to dress for these parties, nor did he care. So for now, plain white Vans, black skinny jeans, a white dress shirt paired with a black vest would do. He heard the obnoxious beeping of Brett outside his house and said goodbye to his parents and brothers, and got inside the car.

"Nice car." He mumbled, and Brett nodded his head in response. Jaime turned around from the passenger seat to get a good look at what Kevin was wearing.

"You look nice." She said with a smile, the dimples in her cheeks showing. Kevin nodded his head and took a minute to scope out her outfit. She was wearing a Cotton Spandex Jersey Double U-Neck dress from American Apparel that was evergreen in color, along with a pair of black ballet flats and a silver Tiffany's necklace Kevin had gotten her for her 16th birthday.

"Thanks. You as well." He replied, and Brett turned up the music. Kevin knew that he had turned the volume up so Brett could yell at Jaime without Kevin hearing. He strained his ears, trying to listen.

"Don't tell him he looks nice." Brett was saying, and Jaime nodded timidly.

"Well, I don't like him Brett, I was just complimenting him-"

"He can live without your compliments. Shut up."

Kevin bit his tongue and waited until they arrived at Aaron's house to talk to Jaime again.

A few hours later, Kevin sat on Aaron's basement's beat up leather couch, with water in hand. He took a glimpse around the party, mentally noting that he was the only one not drinking. And as far as he was concerned, he would only be driving Jaime home. He was not the Designated Driver of everyone at this party. His eyes scanned the crowd and found Jamie, standing with Brett, who had a brown glass bottle of beer in his hand.

"Come on, babe, dance with me." Brett slurred, wrapping an arm around Jaime's waist, pulling her closer to him.

"No thanks, I don't feel like dancing right now." Brett's breath was poisoned with the stench of alcohol, and she could hardly talk to him without smelling it.

"Babe, grind with me." He demanded, slamming his beer into the chest and of a random party-goer. Jaime gave in just as easily as she had refused, and now felt his arms snaking around her waist, sliding down to her thighs.

She shifted uncomfortably, and suddenly felt Brett's hot breath on her neck.

"Babe, do you love me?" She looked up into his crystal-blue eyes, and found herself nodding.

"Good, cause I love you." She felt his lips on her neck, and they no longer felt sweet. They were tainted with alcohol, and her mind was begging her to leave. She unwrapped herself from Brett just as Kevin walked over, and smiled at Kevin.

"Hey. Enjoying the party?"

Kevin decided to lie through his gritted teeth.

"Yeah, it was fun. But I think I'm gonna head off...Joe was at Jeremy's house next door so I'm just taking his car. You wanna bail?"

Jaime opened her mouth to respond, but Brett responded for her.

"No, she's staying here with me. Right, baby?"

"Right, Brett." She gave Kevin a smile and he grabbed her wrist, handing Brett a beer to distract him and borrowing Jaime for a few seconds.

"Are you sure you want to stay? 'Cause you could just lie and say you're feeling sick."

"No, it's fine. I'll just stay here and I'll call you when I get home. Okay?"

Kevin smiled, nodding his head.

"Okay." Jaime turned away from him, but he had one more thing to say.

"Jaime?" She turned around and tilted her head.

"Be careful driving home. He's trashed." He bit his lip and put his hands in his pockets.

"I love you, Jaime. You're my best friend."

Her hand flew up to her necklace and she shot him her million dollar smile, "I love you too, Kev. And you're my best friend."

Pictures of you, pictures of me, all upon the wall for the world to see. Pictures of you, pictures of me, remind us all of what we could have been. Kevin smiled, recognizing the ringtone set for whenever Jaime called. It was nearly 1 in the morning, and he had been staying up just to make sure she was okay.

"Jaime." He answered, his voice excited. He could never hide his excitement when she called; her happiness was contagious.

"Kev-Kevin?" A voice choked out, and Kevin realized it wasn't Jaime, but her little sister Maddy. Her voice was soft and he could hear her breathing heavily on the other end of the line. She was crying.

"Maddy? What's wrong?" He said urgently, and he heard her let out a sob.

"Jaime - she - Brett was drunk - they crashed." Was all she could get out, but that was all he needed. Oh shit. God, please. Please, not Jaime. Let her be fine. Let her be okay.

"Maddy, please. What happened?"

"Kevin, she's - she's gone."

He dropped his phone to the ground, not even caring that it would break. His best friend, his girl, his Jaime - she was gone. He should have told her how Brett loved drinkingin the first place, he should've told her to dump Brett when he was treating her awfully, he should've stopped her from going to that party. He should've given her a ride home.

He dropped to his knees, cradling his head in his hands, the warm salty tears dripping from in between his fingers. He could never, ever see Jaime again. She was gone.

And there he was, three years later, at the height of his career. He stood there, surrounded by the peace and calmness of the cemetary, in front of her black grave. At the top was a picture of her - smiling, like she always was. He touched his fingers to the cold marble, and kneeled down, placing the single white rose he held in his hand on her grave.

"I love you, Jaime. You're my best friend." He whispered, staring at the picture. He stood up, brushing the dirt off of his jeans, and walked away towards the black SUV. He looked up towards the sky, singing gently to himself. Him and his brothers had written this song a while back ago about their grandmother, but for some reason, whenever he sang it he couldn't shake the image of Jaime and her brilliant smile out of his mind.

It's not goodbye 'cause I will remember you,
And I will see you again when I rise,
Cause I know and I believe,
I will see you in eternity.
Sign up to rate and review this story