Categories > Original > Poetry

Forever: Only A Word?

by Geetard 0 reviews

something i just happened to write one day. this is an actually event that happened to me.

Category: Poetry - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Published: 2008-07-06 - Updated: 2008-07-06 - 387 words - Complete

0Unrated
Forever: only a word?
Dedicated to: My Mother and Father. And all the people stuck in the past.

A while ago, I read a mother's day card. From my father to my mother. I couldn't help but laugh bitterly, at the message inside: "my love for you is forever". 'Forever' I thought furiously, 'nothing lasts forever!'. As I glared at the small hallmark card. 'He never promised forever to me, but doesn't that come automatically with being a parent?!' 'Where was he when we cried ourselves to sleep?' 'Did he even regret breaking my mothers heart?' 'Does he regret letting his children, practically making them, afraid to give their own opinions on things, because the fear he would become angry?!' 'Does he regret unintentionally breaking my little brother?' I sighed as I placed the small card carefully down, finally admitting something after all these years, 'I'm not okay...probably never will be. But I'll be alright. No need to be bitter about the past. Can't change what happened, and if I had the choice to, I wouldn't. Going through that only made me the person I am today...and I wouldn't change that for anything.' I smiled as I remembered the old times, where he was a hero in my eyes, but those are only long lost memories of mine. I snapped out of whatever daze I was in, when my mother walked into the room, taking the box with the card and placing it in front of her, to look through it herself. She looked up (probably aware I was staring) and gave me a questioning look, "are you okay?". I looked up and smirked that smirk she was so fond of and replied, "yeah, I'm fine.". All the while thinking that one thought, "No. I'm not okay, but I'll be alright.'. and to this day, that is one of the sayings that keep me going. Sure, I get mad, even upset. But I remind myself.....what is the point? You're going to have to get over it one day, why not today? If you never get over it, the bitterness will drag you down. Kill you from the inside out. Leave the past in the past. Because one of these days, it might just drag you down.
Sign up to rate and review this story