Categories > Anime/Manga > Death Note > Precious

Coffee

by flying_angel 0 reviews

We finally get to Ryuuzaki and Kairi's 'not-a-date'. lol. enjoy!!

Category: Death Note - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: L - Published: 2008-07-11 - Updated: 2008-07-11 - 1950 words

0Unrated
Author's Note: ok, ok, i know i said i wasn't going to post anymore until i got three reviews. still haven't got ANY, but late last night, inspiration struck!! i'm so excited, because i've finally found how to go from point a to point b! oh, and just a head's up, different parts of the story will now be told from both ryuuzaki and kairi's pov. and for those people who don't know what that means, it means point-of-view! enjoy!!


Kairi's P.O.V.


She stood behind the counter, waiting anxiously. What if he didn't come? She wouldn't blame him if he did; he barely knew her. And vice-versa. But on the other hand...She chuckled to herself. He had the weirdest habits, like the way he sat. God, she thought she was going to have a heart attack when he was sitting in his crouch on the top of that building! He was a lot more different that before, but you could say it kind of amused her. She had felt humiliated when she broke down about her parents, and she could've laughed when he offered her his candy bar. To deprive Ryuuzaki of his candy would be like, taking honey from bees. Speaking of Ryuuzaki....he still hadn't shown up. Maybe he didn't really want to come after all.

Sighing, she took a rag and began to wipe down the counters. Just as she was working on a particularly nasty coffee stain, she heard the tinkle of the shop's bells. Someone had come in. Tossing the rag back in the bucket, she faced the front of the shop. Her face lit up like Christmas lights. Someone slouching as he walked had come in. Someone with wild black hair, and bottomless black eyes. And that someone was walking up to the counter.

Ryuuzaki's P.O.V.

As he came in, the smell of coffee beans almost overwhelmed him. I just hope they have sugar cubes, he thought. The floor was slick against his bare feet, almost cold. He couldn't to wear socks or shoes, and he hoped Kairi wouldn't be too irritated. Wait, he thought. Since when do I care about what people think of me? Shaking his head, he looked up as he walked over to the counter. Kairi's worried look instantly vanished as a look of pure happiness overcame it. It was all he could do not to laugh.

She came out from behind the counter. Ryuuzaki's hands began to clench inside his pockets. He was feeling very awkward; the first time he had came out in public was earlier that day, and now he was doing it again later the same day. The experience was too new to him.

"I know I don't need to ask because I remember your sweet tooth, but what can I get you?" Ryuuzaki perked up a little after the question. He had forgotten to replenish his sugar energy, and he was starting to feel almost weary. The Kira case was taking its toll. He put his thumb to his lips, lost in thought.

"Regular coffee, please. And can I have a bowl of sugar cubes?"

Right before his eyes, she burst out laughing. Which annoyed him, to say the least. That was twice he had been laughed at by this girl. It was becoming almost a habit. In her direction, he raised an eyebrow quizzically.

"You and your sugar!" She said, shaking her head. "But yes, if that's what you want."

Ryuuzaki started pulling out his wallet, but Kairi shook her head vigorously.

"It's on the house."

Interesting, he thought as he put his wallet away. "If you don't mind, I'm going to go sit down."

"Hmm? Oh, of course." She walked away and ducked behind the counter.


Kairi's P.O.V.

As she ducked behind the counter, it was partly to get the cup for his coffee, the other to hide the bright red blush creeping across her face. She was confused though. No one had made her feel this way, yet she felt so at ease with him. And she had only encountered him two times...three, she corrected herself. She collected the cup of coffee and bowl of sugar cubes and made her way to the table where Ryuuzaki was sitting in that awkward position. His knees hugged close to him, as if to protect him from something.

She put the things in front of him and took her seat opposite from him. "I....I thought you weren't going to come..."

He had taken to the sugar cube and was now stacking them. "I must admit, I had doubts. But this also gives me a chance to restock on my low supply of consumed sugar."

She laughed dryly. "Very funny. So, a lot has happened since the first time we met. Tell me a little about you."

He thought for a moment, inclining his head, and his dark bangs fell over his eyes. Which made Kairi try all the harder not to blush. "Well, I speak many languages, which include English, Japanese, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Thai, Chinese, and I've studied a bit of Latin."

Kairi just gaped at him. How could he know all those languages? It occurred to her that she was making him nervous, by the way he was squeezing his knees."Wow..." She breathed.

"I have a knack for languages....for just about anything, really. But what about you?" Was he trying to lead the spotlight off himself?

"Well, I can only speak English, that's for sure," She smiled. After hearing about his little achievement, hers paled compared to this man. "I've already finished collage, and I have a little talent in acting. But other than that, nothing else special.What do you do for a living?"


Ryuuzaki's P.O.V.

The question. Deep down, he was hoping she wouldn't have asked. He sighed a little, and squeezed his knees closer. There was no point in lying to her, when she had told him the truth; he could see it in her eyes.

"I'm a certified detective." It was the truth. Sort of.

"That's interesting. What's your current case?"

"Actually, I'm one of the many detectives trying to bring Kira to light." He hadn't meant to tell her so much, but she was so....so trusting.

Her eyes widened, then darkened, and for a moment he tensed up. But then she gave a small smile and looked at him.

"I hope you're the one to catch him." There was sincerity in her voice, and he made the mistake of looking into her eyes. They seemed to go right through him, seeing all his secrets. They were a nice shade of brown, like melted caramel, he thought. As soon as the thoughts entered his mind, he shooed them away. This was no time to become distracted.

"So have you worked on other cases besides the Kira case?" Her voice brought him back to the present.

"Yes...mmmm, in fact I once worked with Naomi Misora."

"The Naomi Misora?"

"Yes, the very one. In fact," he inclined his head a bit. "She was the one who taught me the Brazilian martial art, capoeira."

Kairi nodded. "That's supposed to be a difficult martial art to master."

At this, Ryuuzaki chuckled. "Indeed."

"Is she still alive?"

His eyes cast downward. "She has been missing...we believe she has become another victim of Kira."

"Oh....I'm sorry. Did you know her well?"

"Yes...she was one of the very rare people that I could trust."

"Do you trust me?" Her eyes were wide, and innocent.

Ryuuzaki rubbed his toes together. Should he tell her the truth? "Actually....I must say you seem to be very trustworthy." That was putting it mildly, at least what he thought.

"Well, I-" She was cut off by a plump woman walking in from a back door.

"Kairi! Have you closed up the shop yet? It's 7:05." The woman barked.

"Oh, I'm sorry Mrs. Kazewaga. I'll get right to it!" She jumped up in haste.

"See that you do!" The owner huffed, and went back in through which she had came.

In Ryuuzaki's opinion, that woman was a little too fussy. She must have been the one reprimanding Kairi, he mused.


Kairi's P.O.V.

Mrs. Kazewaga couldn't have come at a worse time. Just when she was starting to feel comfortable! She gave Ryuuzaki an apologetic glance.

"Sorry. I had no idea of the time."

He waved away her apology. "No matter. All good things must come to an end."

All good things? Did that mean he had had a good time? In that case, it made her feel a little better.

She went to pick up his empty coffee cup and sugar cube bowl.

"Don't," He said, startling her. "I'll get it. Where do I put them?"

She had to admit, this act of kindness had surprised her. Regaining her composure, she pointed. "Just put them in the dishwasher, please. I can run a cycle tomorrow morning."

He nodded, and stiffly got up. While he did his stuff, Kairi locked the register up, and made sure all the coffee makers were off. That meant there was just sweeping and to wipe down the tables an put the chairs up. Might as well do the easiest thing first, she thought, and went to get the rag. She was just working on the first table when a cool hand covered hers. Without meaning to, she flinched, but it was just Ryuuzaki.

"I've got it. You probably have other things to do." He looked at her levelly.

"Oh, well, ....you don't have to..." She stumbled over the words.

"No, no. It's the least I can do for making you cry today." She smiled tentatively. He was that aware? "And for the sugar cubes."

She laughed again. Him and his sugar. Shaking her head, she slipped her hand out from under his, and went to get the broom. As she sweeped, she watched him intently. He seemed to do it with ease, and still able to maintain his slouched position. As she dumped the contents of her dustpan in the trash can, he came back over.

"I'm finished." He held out the rag.

"Oh, thanks." Taking it from him, she said, "You really didn't have to do this."

He shrugged. "With having a boss like that, I figured you wouldn't mind some help." He cracked a smile.

"You're right about that!" She said in agreement.

While he watched her, she put the rag back in the bucket of water and put all the chairs up on the tables. Locking the door behind them, her and Ryuuzaki stepped into the fresh air.

Turning to him, she said "I had a good time, o master of all languages!"

He chuckled quietly. "Not all languages, but getting there."

Maybe it was just an impulse, or a sudden burst of inspiration, but she stepped up to him and hugged his mid-section tightly. She felt his muscles tighten at first, then relax as his arms came around her. He was warm in the cold air. Suddenly feeling self-conscious, she pulled back.

He looked a little torn, but with a small smile and a wave of his hand, he starting walking off in one direction. Smiling inside, Kairi headed the other way. But her happiness was cut short as strong arms pulled her into an alley.


sorry it's a cliff-hanger, but it's going to get very more exciting! Wasn't Ryuuzaki sweet when he helped her close up the shop? His reaction to her hug was a bit startled, but he's coming around, and soon he'll have to face facts...^_^ love ya, peeps!!!
Sign up to rate and review this story