Categories > Books > Lord of the Rings > The Lord of the Jewels

Return to Moria

by digdigil 0 reviews

Legolas and Gimli go back to Moria to explore the mines once again.

Category: Lord of the Rings - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy - Characters: Aragorn, Arwen, Bilbo, Elrond, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, Frodo, Galadriel, Gandalf, Gimli, Legolas - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-02-25 - Updated: 2006-02-25 - 2437 words

0Unrated
11
Return to Moria
The Lord of the Rings (Alan Lee Illustrated Ed.): P. 334: The Fellowship of the Ring: A Journey in the Dark: (excerpt from Gimli's poem): "The world is grey, the mountains old, The forge's fire is ashen-cold; No harp is wrung, no hammer falls: The darkness dwells in Durin's halls; The shadow lies upon his tomb, In Moria, in Khazad-dum."

~~~

Legolas and Gimli prepared to leave Edoras. They said farewell to Eomer, Eowyn and Faramir, and departed to the stables to get their horses. Lindaril had left a few hours before them for the Grey Havens. The leave-taking had been emotional on her side and Legolas had found it draining. He was relieved that she was going away, but did not wish to show any emotion to her lest she thought he cared or even that he did not. He was looking forward to a good ride across the Rohan countryside, and some fresh, invigorating air to clear his senses.

The two companions rode past the Hornburg, where they had helped to fight a great battle against Saruman's Uruk-hai warriors, and where Gimli had most recently made his home, in the Glittering Caves of Helm's Deep. Saruman's old realm of Isengard stood not far away, although it was now a wreck of broken buildings and ruined forestlands.

They rode through the Westfold, where they and Aragorn had long ago chased a band of Uruk-hai who had slain Boromir, one of the Fellowship of the Ring. The Uruk-hai had captured Merry and Pippin, two of the hobbit members of the Fellowship. They passed through the Gap of Rohan, which lay between Fangorn Forest and the southern tip of the Misty Mountains. Here they stopped to rest. Memories came flooding back to them of Fangorn, an ancient and mysterious forest. It was a dynamic presence at the foot of the Misty Mountains, and the mountains themsElves harbored ancient secrets, their peaks hidden in the shroud-like mist from which they took their name. The two friends sat very quietly, taking in the magnificence of their surroundings. They sat back-to-back. Legolas was facing the forest, his keen eyes penetrating its darkness. He let its energy wash over him and help him renew his strength and spirit. Gimli sat facing the mountains, and reflected upon ancient times when dwarves were masters of this realm. They had created breathtakingly majestic halls and had wrought great works of art and architecture out of metal and stone.

The two friends had come this way before, on their travels after the war was over when they had visited Fangorn at Legolas's request. However, that had been some years before, and they had promised each other that they would, from time to time, travel to a place of the other's choosing so that they could better understand each other's culture.

"Gimli?" The soft sound of Legolas's voice broke the silence. "Tell me again why you decided to leave the Glittering Caves. I remember that you told me years ago what a marvel you found them to be and that you wanted to weep when you had to leave them".

"Like any love, which at first sight seems perfect, the brightness fades with time. With perfection, nothing is required to be done. Yet dwarves such as I crave work, and cannot sit idle for long. I told you then that the caverns of Helm's Deep would never be mined for their riches, and pristine they will always stay. Therefore, I wish to move on, and go back to Moria, at least for a visit. I desire to look upon a ruin, and muse over its past glories. Who knows? Perhaps those mines would be an interesting relic to preserve as a museum of sorts, or some such other curiosity".

"I would be surprised if Eomer did not decide to begin mining the riches of the Glittering Caves despite what you say", said Legolas. "His country could use the wealth that is doubtless hidden there".

"Oh, no", said Gimli. "Those caves are sacred, and will never be mined".

"You seem to be sure enough about that, Gimli", replied Legolas. "I do believe you, but cannot stop myself from feeling regret when I hear your words, and think of the lost opportunity for this poor country".

"Then you do not understand what sacred places mean to people", said Gimli, "since you are of a wandering folk, and do not tie yourself down to material things".

"I find it marvelous that you have finally come to realize this", replied Legolas. "The entire world is sacred to us."

It was odd to them that while in the open space of the Gap of Rohan, where the sky was blue and clear, and the air fresh to breathe, they did not see another living soul. The area was once overrun with foul orcs patrolling it. Now the orcs had vanished, but no other people had yet taken up their place and made this region their home, in spite of the fact that the land in this area was lovely. In the deep, dark places of Fangorn there were Ents still making their rounds and protecting the trees. Deep within the Misty Mountains there was also silent, stealthy activity taking place, but it was as yet unknown to any other living person.

The friends resumed their journey, and rode toward the Gates of Moria. Legolas looked up at the mountain peaks, shrouded in mist, through which he could only partially see.

"Gimli, would you like to climb with me to the top of Zirak-zigil?" he asked.

"What? Why would I want to do such a ridiculous thing?" asked Gimli, dumfounded. "I would rather cut off my right hand!"

"It is a place of great spiritual power", said Legolas. "I was thinking that it would be interesting to go up to the top and see if we could find the remains of the Balrog that Gandalf slew there. It could be a great adventure".

"Go ahead", said Gimli, "If you wish, you may go up there by yourself! I will just stay under the mountain, where it is safe!"

Legolas looked at Gimli and he was quite perplexed. "Do you not wish to visit the place where this monumental event occurred? I feel that if we absorb the spiritual energy that is on the mountain, it will protect us from future harm. I feel this very strongly".

"Legolas", said Gimli gravely. "I do not know what has happened to your senses, but I feel strongly that perhaps a good whack of my axe's blunt end to your skull may knock some sense back into it! I tell you for the last time, I will not climb up a mountain ever again! Mountains were made for tunneling under, not for climbing! Now, come! Let us continue into the Mines of Moria! You will feel much better ince we are inside, my friend!"

With a sigh of regret, Legolas turned Arod toward the West Gate, and he and Gimli followed the Sirannon, the stream that flowed from the foot of the cliffs to where the doors of Moria lay. It was running freely once more, and the dark lake that had filled the shallow basin and in which had dwelt the Watcher in the Water, was now dried up. When they arrived at the Gates of Moria, night was beginning to fall. A password was no longer needed to open the Doors. On them were still inscribed the emblems of Durin and the Tree of the High Elves. On them, also, wrought in Ithildin, the ancient metal used by the Dwarves in Durin's time, was the Star of the House of Feanor. Legolas inwardly shuddered as they rode past the Doors. The star stood out brightly in the moonlight, almost winking at them. They led the horses past the Stair Falls, which now tumbled freely over the cliffs. They saw only a pile of rubble where the two hundred steps had been. The steps were broken now, and a steep, upward slope, covered with rubble, replaced them.

"I have many negative memories of this place", Legolas remarked, as the horses climbed up into the first hall. "I hope it will not be difficult to shake them off as we pass through".

"Do not worry", said Gimli. "What could happen to us now? The orcs are all dead. There is no more of Sauron's or Saruman's evil about to harm us. It will be quite safe in here".

They lit torches in order to see their way through the intricate passages of Moria. They walked along the corridors, marveling at the huge structures that still stood, showing off the skilled craftsmanship of the dwarves who built them. There were also many piles of rubble about, grim reminders of the great evil that had once dwelt in this place.

The horses followed them as they walked through the hallways, which were more like great wide roads. The orcs had occupied these roadways in the past, but they were now open to the travelers. It would have taken about four days to travel through Moria on foot, but on the horses, they could go faster and so they remounted. As they traveled, they stopped a few times to rest and to marvel at the deep chasms where mithril and other precious metals and gems were once mined. The mines had been empty for some time of all the dwarf miners and craftsmen who had once thrived there. There was now a palpable loneliness in this once great kingdom. The silence was overwhelmingly forlorn, even to fearless warriors such as Legolas and Gimli.

When they reached the large archway with three passageways opening off of it, they stopped and dismounted. There had been so much destruction in this dwarf city to make traveling through it somewhat confusing, that they thought they should stop to plan out their route. There were seven levels of hallways in Moria, just as there were seven levels to the city of Minas Tirith, in Gondor. Moria, however, had been much damaged by many battles within its halls, and by evil creatures that had lived there once but had now disappeared. They were sitting, Legolas thinking quietly and Gimli smoking and planning, when the horses became restless. Arod whinnied and shook his head up and down, and pawed the ground. When Cemera saw that his companion was fretting, he became agitated too, and shook so violently that one of Gimli's axes came free of its tether on the pony's back, and clattered to the ground.

Legolas jumped up immediately and went to Arod.

"What is it, my friend?" he asked, whispering soothingly and stroking the horse's forehead. "What could possibly be bothering you? Is it the emptiness of this place that is giving you bad nerves?"

He gently soothed the horse, and presently Arod calmed down. Legolas took his hand-made bow and quiver of arrows from Arod's saddle where they were hooked. He had brought them with him this time, in case there were more wolves or other predators about. He sensed now that some kind of animal was lurking in the mines. He and Gimli proceeded forward, leading the horses. Gimli had picked up his axe, and was carrying it in his hand.

They went through the left hallway, and traveled deep into the bowels of the earth below the mountains, along a very dusty road. The dust was so deep it felt like sand, and the soil was ankle high in some places. They passed strange, high mounds of dirt here and there and carefully picked their way around them. They found themsElves on a downward slope that led them further and further into darkness. Suddenly, the horses would go no further. Sensing danger, they simply stopped moving forward.

"There is something hiding in the mines", Legolas whispered to Gimli. "I sense a great beast, a hulking thing, lying in the shadows".

"Nonsense!" retorted Gimli. "It is as silent as a tomb in here! What could it be?"

Legolas and Gimli continued on a little way further and Legolas held up his torch. The horses' eyes gleamed in the light, huge and frightened. Slowly, Legolas turned around while holding the torch up high. He could sense, rather than see, a myriad of eyes all around them, watching silently.

He felt very strongly the need to flee, but just before he could say something about this to Gimli who had continued walking forward, the dwarf suddenly stepped into a hole of some kind and disappeared into the ground beneath his feet. He sank without making a sound except for a sudden "whoosh". The sand just swallowed him. As Legolas, alarmed, stepped forward to try to help him, he felt the front half of his foot sink into the suddenly very soft surface. The horses turned and fled in terror. The back half of Legolas's foot was momentarily still on solid ground, and in that instant, he threw all of his weight backward, trying to dig his heel into the ground to stabilize himself, and tossed the torch away behind him. With blinding speed, he drew an arrow from his quiver, and twisting his body sideways in one swift motion, he put it to his bow and shot the arrow into the ground beside his foot, in order to try to mark the spot where Gimli fell.

On his back, the torch several feet behind him lighting the way in front, Legolas saw a strange and terrible thing. An animal of some kind unknown to him, was tunneling, silently making a large pit out of the sandy soil by dragging its huge, shovel-shaped head back and forth and from side to side rapidly, causing whatever hapless creature was in the sandy pit to be drawn, sliding, toward its huge jaws. The creature was of the color of the earth, a pale sandy brown. Its shape was of a massive, elongated, slug-like thing. It had two tiny, mole-like eyes at either side of its shovel-shaped head. It did not make any sound at all, but lay hidden in the pit it had dug, its jaws protruding out of the sand, awaiting its next victim.

Legolas pulled out several arrows and shot them at the beast. They simply glanced off its body as if it were made of some tough armour. He prepared himself to be devoured as he kept sliding toward the creature. "Gimli!" he thought as he slid, "I hope we shall meet again!" Then, the ground suddenly opened up beneath him, and he fell.
Sign up to rate and review this story