Categories > Anime/Manga > Bleach > Strawberries aren't supposed to Frown

Prologue

by Meiwaku 0 reviews

Ichigo is frowning all the time now... What happeneds to make him stop frowning? [shounen ai]

Category: Bleach - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Abarai Renji, Chado Yasutora, Inoue Orihime, Ishida Uryuu, Kurosaki Ichigo - Warnings: [!!] [?] [V] - Published: 2006-02-26 - Updated: 2006-02-26 - 1054 words

1Exciting
Disclaimer: I don't own Bleach, or any of its characters. I am only a poor soul obsessed with the show.

AN: This is my first attempt at fanfiction. I've been an avid reader since I discovered fanfiction.net (like four or five years ago), but I've never actually written one before now. I'd like to thank one of my best friends, Sarah. She's the one that inspired me to finally write my own fanfiction. Anyway, here you have it. The prologue to my new story, Strawberries aren't supposed to frown.


Some days it seemed that the frown on Kurosaki Ichigos face was permanent. Kurosaki Yuzu, Ichigo's little sister, had a theory where their dad, Isshin, once had told Ichigo that his face would stick like that if he frowned too much, and that Ichigo, upon hearing that, had actually held that frown for so long that his face really stuck like that, just to spite his dad.

This day, was like all the others. Ichigo had been on a frown-fest for a while now, and nothing seemed to succeed in making him at least stop frowning for a sec. Not even Inues antics got the tiniest smile out of him. He had been this way since they left Soul Society. Chad and Orihime hade come to the conclusion that Ichigo missed Rukia. Or that he at least missed something that only was in Soul Society.

Two weeks of constant frowning on Ichigos side, had made Inue and Chad stop trying to get him to smile.

One day, in the middle of math-class, a loud, angry voice started shouting outside.

"Kurosaki Ichigo!!! I know you're in there, so just come out and face me as a man!!"

Four people in the classroom recognized the voice. Those four were, of course, Ichigo, Ishida, Inue and Sado. How could you forget the deep voice of Abarai Renji, the vice-captain of division 6? The other people in class just wondered who the freaky-looting, hippie-dressed guy on the schoolyard was. More interesting and importantly, he seemed to know Kurosaki-kun.

Ichigo, on realizing that is was, in fact, really Renji who stood down there, yelling for him, stopped frowning. Instead his face showed both embarrassedment and anger. The whole class ha heard Renji yelling for him. Ichigo stood from his chair so fast that it fell backwards, and uttered a practically non-existant "sumimasen" before he raced out of the classroom.

Renji was still yelling, and attrackting a crowd in all the windows of the school, when Ichigo got out of the schoolbuilding and basically tackled Renji, dragging him into a samml collection on trees and bushes.

"God dammit, Renji! Ichigo was close to yelling. "Just what do you think you are doing by coming here and starting to yell my name like som fuckiing lunatic or something?"

"Ma, I had to get your attention somehow, right?" Renji answered lazily, looking Ichigo straight in the eye, from where he sat on the ground where Ichigo had dropped him.

"How can you be so calm?!" Renjis camlness was so unlike him that it annoyed Ichigo. It was as if the past two weeks stress of returning from Soul Society and going back to school hade finally manifested in Ichigo in some other way than just frowning. He was red-hot-mad.

"What are you doing here anyway, Renji?", Ichigo asked, without bothering to wait for an answer to his last question.

"Well, since Rukia doesn't have her powers back just yet, I was sent to protect Karakura town, because somepeople," here Renji pointedly looked at Ichigo, "don't know how to mask their reiatsu, thus becoming large flashing neon-signs to hungry Hollows in for a tasy treat. Someone has to protect the people in this town after all." Renji concluded.

"You?" Ichigo asked. "You have been sent here to replace Rukia? Even though you're a vice-captain? You've been demoted!" After coming to this conclusion Ichigo started laughing, suddenly filled with glee.

"No, it's not like that," Renji hurried to get something out of his mouth, so that he wouldn't look like a total fool, just standing there, letting a simple "substitute shinigami" laugh at him, the vice-captain of the 6th division!

"Someone with power had to come here, because you and you band of ryokas are leaking out massive amounts of reiatsu, and you are attracting more powerfull Hollows here, yeah, thats how it is!" Renji almost sounded as if he was trying to convince himself that his explanation really was true.

Ichigo finally calmed down and said; "well, no matter why you are here, it is good to have another shinigami around. After being around a whole lot of shinigamis to suddenly being the only one... It gets kind of lonely, you know?"

This took Renji by surprise. Kurosaki had never said anything remotely like that to him before. Ichigo had sounded... nice?

"So tell med Renji, why did you feel the need to come to my school, and yell me out of class?" Ichigo asked, curiosity in his voice.

"Well... I went to Urahara to get my gigai and I asked him where you were, just, y'know, where to go if a Hollow made an appearance... and then... y'know... I got... kinda... bored." Renji finished his explanation.

"You yelled me out of class just because you were bored?" Ichigo sounded incredulus, like he just couldn't believe it.

"Well... yeah..."

"O...kay." Ichigo said. "I think you need to do something with your spare time, 'cuz you can't come and yell me out of class everytime you get bored," Ichigo concluded. "We have to get you a job. What can you do?"

"You mean besides being a shinigami? I think I still know how to steal stuff, but I don't think thats legal, or considered a job here, Kurosaki."

"Naw, ya think?" the sarcasm was almost dripping off of Ichigos voice. "If stealing is the only thing you can do, I guess you can take the empty space in my class. Now go and do something else... Patroll town or something. I have to get back to class. Ja!" With that Ichigo turned 180° and ran back to the school, leaving Renji standing with a look of total shock on his face.

"But... I don't wanna go back to school..." Renji protested weakly into thin air.
Sign up to rate and review this story