Categories > Original > Romance > Ten Cities

Three - The Last Petal (Or Straw?)

by antsy-pantsy 0 reviews

Everyone seems to be out to get Aidenn these days. Is it because of her leg cast? Who knows.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2008-07-16 - Updated: 2008-07-18 - 2933 words

0Unrated

CHAPTER THREE



"Miss Kelen. Could you resume your attention to this lesson, and me, please? This lecture is of utmost importance."

I opened one eye and turned the page of my book. It was fourth block-the last class of the day-and I was ready to scream. Coincidentally, Mrs. Coats looked like the perfect target. I closed my eyes again, leaning back in the chair and placing my feet in the basket of Oliver's desk.

"Aidenn! Wake up, please!"

I shot my eyes open and leaned up in my desk. Suddenly, an indescribable annoyance filled me, and suddenly I was bellowing at the old woman. "Wake up! Wake up!" I felt a vein throbbing in my forehead, but ignored it, continuing, expecting my heart to explode. Everyone turned and stared unblinkingly. "Are you so negligent and retarded to think that every single time /someone closes their eyes"-by now my arms were waving everywhere-"that they're /asleep/? Did it not ever occur to you that teens stay up late, just don't give a damn, or find your class so boring that they'd have more fun watching a fish tank?" I paused to pull my hair down, and then went on, practically screaming. "Well, I'd like to inform you, Mrs. Coats /with a fruitful experience in history,/that you're probably the damn expert because you /lived through it, and that we don't care, and that this isn't going to buy our groceries and clothe us and our kids, is it?"

She just stared, appalled. Everyone else immediately stared at his or her knees, apparently knowing what was coming. Her lipstick-drowned lips formed a zero shape, and then delivered saliva in a 180-degree span as she started howling. "Well, Miss Aidenn Madden. You think you're just so smart, don't you?"

I scoffed. "Yes, ma'am, I believe so."

"Well let me tell you something. What do you think actually puts the food on your table and the clothes on your back? Do you think your grandmother goes to the store everyday and smarts off to her manager and coworkers and customers?"

"No."

"Exactly! If your attitude was due to her genetics, then you'd both be out on the streets just like that!" She snapped her fingers. "Now you're young and naive. But you'll learn how to respect people"-by now she was in my face-"and you'll learn that some things you just can't change. Some things you'll have to accept..."

I cut her off, rising out of my seat. "And that, /Miss Coats, /is the reason the world is in such wreck and turmoil!" By now, I was in tears. Igrabbed my crutches, hobbled to the door, let go of a crutch, grasped the door handle, and slung it against the wall, feeling enough wrath to set the place on fire with my glare. I didn't stop hobbling until I got to my locker, where Icollapsed. My crutches fell with a clang. The bell rang, and moments later Oliver was at my side.

"You're amazing, Aidenn," he whispered, helping me up. He held me close as I kept sobbing. He had little time to console me, however, before the loudspeaker called my name.

'Aidenn Kelen, please report to the office-Aidenn Kelen.'

He kissed my cheek, whispered, "Get 'em, Aidenn," and walked in the opposite direction as I slowly made my way to the stained glass windowed door of the main office.



"So, Aidenn, this is certainly nothing new."

I looked Principal Watkins in the eyes as he flipped through my discipline referral. "But this... this is absurd. At first we felt safe laughing at your rebellion and your spirit but now..." He eyed me, concern etched all over his face. "This is ridiculous. Cursing at an old woman because she's trying to teach you, and help you learn to your fullest ability?" He flipped through the multi-colored memory paper, and then continued, his black eyes fixed on the pages. "'Negligent... Retarded... As interesting as a tank of fish...'"

"Lessinteresting," I corrected him. "I also told her that she probably lived through the ancient history that she knows so much about, and that it wouldn't buy my groceries and feed my future kids... and that we didn't really care."

He looked up at me, the rest of his body frozen like a statue. "Just because you don't care does not mean that she, or everyone else, shares your opinion. She must, Aidenn, or she wouldn't wake up every morning, drag herself to school, and spit out the same exact lesson to uncaring students-much like you-every hour and a half the same way she does. She doesn't have to put up with your shit and shenanigans. She does it because she cares."

I simply stared. I knew he was right; I just knew that I was right also. However, his reasoning was just a /tad bit /more mature... just a tad. Icouldn't believe that I was getting in trouble simply for speaking my mind. Was opinionating against the law in this county or what? Mr. Watkins was lenient with his students, however, and looked at things from our /and /the teachers' points of view.

"Well, Aidenn? What do you think I should do? This is the third time this quarterthis has happened... I lost count of the happenings over the year..." He sighed and shoved the pencil on Mrs. Coats's clipboard behind his ear. "Obviously detention, alternative school, and janitorial duty have done you no good."

"So?"

"I can't decide. Part of me just wants to put you in personal fitness for that period... but that would be sort of rewarding you, wouldn't it?"

I couldn't restrain a sarcastic laugh. "Kind of, sort of, yeah. Okay, so I'd love it."

"So here's what the other part of me is thinking." He pulled out a three-ring notebook and began flipping through it, his eyes darting around. Without losing his focus on the pages, he said matter-of-factly, "Disrespect of adults is a pretty serious offense according to the school board"-(I muttered,'Selfish, self idolizing old farts')-"and even the /first /offense can have you put on suspension. Of course, I thought that detention or alternative school would more than make up for that. I know how you crave attention." I couldn't deny that. "So here is what I will do Aidenn." He got out a legal pad, retrieved the pencil from behind his ear, and scratched out a note as he talked. "Not only am I going to keep you in her history class..."

I groaned.

"...But I am also going to place you in her science, one of her elective classes-I'll let you choose that one-and you'll help her with her volunteer work after school. You'll actually be her personal assistant; I've heard you can be extremely helpful, and she could use your help with lifting and driving things around."

"What the hell?" I shot up (balancing on one leg) and slammed my fist on the desk. "And you expect me to just take anything that old bitch throws at me?"

"That's actually the part I was getting to." He put down the pencil, clasped his hands on the desk. His hound dog eyes stared into mine unblinkingly. "If you have even one little mishap with her-even asking 'why?' when she requests you to do something-you'll be suspended for two weeks, then upon your return you'll be in A-School for the rest of the year. You will also have janitorial duty after lunch every other day."

I simply could not believe it. I sighed and sat down, brushing my hair out of my face. "Oh my God, Mr. Watkins..." I understood his decision though, even respected it. I couldn't help but wonder-did he not have any earthly idea what that old witch was doing to us? "Well, can I at least mutter under my breath?"

He began to scratch away on his legal pad. "Okay, I'll make an exception. As long as she can't hear you, mutter all you want." He smiled as he finished the note, tore it off, and handed it to me. "Take that to your grandmother so she'll be filled in on the situation. I'll take this other one to Mrs. Coats." As I turned to leave, he said my name questioningly.

"Yes, sir?" I turned around.

"If anything, be good for Mr. Worth's sake. He'd be lost without you in his classes."

"Then put me back in my science class."

"Be nice so you can escape faster." So he /did /know where we were coming from. Good deal. Nonetheless, I still though the man was a bitch. "Also, which one of her electives would you like to be put in?"

"Whichever one demands the most of my attention."

He wrote something else down on the legal pad. "Arts and Crafts for Children it is, then."



"Aidenn!" Oliver stood at the end of the hall. As soon as he saw me, he whispered my name loudly and waved his arms around. I took his hand as I made it over to him, putting an end to the click-clacks of my crutches.

"What is it, Olly?"

"You tell me first. What's the sentence?" I handed him the note and allowed him to read it. "Wow," he whispered as he folded it back up and placed it in my back pocket, sending shivers down my spine as he did so. "That's pretty harsh. Need any help with anything? I've always wanted to make sock puppets and cardboard tambourines."

As I leaned up against the wall, I sighed, "No thanks, Olly. He promised me that he'd put me in all of your classes again if I was good enough."

"So basically, the more you smile and nod, the faster you'll be back in normal classes." I nodded. "Well, care to know why I'm out here?"

"Sure."

"I punched Trent Paige in the nose."

I stared at him, a smile tugging at the corners of my mouth. "Really? What did the douche do this time?"

"He started his normal pansy crap, and then dragged you into it. Nothing big. Ijust got sick of it and socked him in the nose."

"Did it break?"

"Let's just say he's not as pretty as he used to be. Unless girls start digging twisted noses and bloody faces."

As I began to talk, the biology teacher-Mr. Wright-opened the door, closely followed by a sobbing, Kleenex-clutching Trent. "Come on, Worth," he said sternly at Oliver. As Trent turned away, I saw Mr. Wright wink at Oliver. "Get in the room, Aidenn. Make sure no one gets out of hand." I nodded and entered the room. As soon as I did, Alex Weaver-one of Trent's beloved sidekicks-got in my face.

"Why did your little pussy princess have to do that to Trent?" I pushed him out of the way (it was quite effortless, seeing as how the kid was only about five feet tall) and sat in my desk, pulling out A Bend in the Road. He pulled the book out of my hand, tossed it across the room, and then said firmly, "I asked you a question, little orphan Aidenn." All the jocks snickered.

I stood on my good foot, placed a finger under his chin, leaned toward his ear, and whispered softly, "You really wanna know why?" I then punched him in the chest-knocking him down-and screamed "Because being the football star has gotten to his head, and he can't keep his fucking mouth shut about rumors, and things that don't concern him and things that he doesn't fucking understand!!"

Now/everyone /was staring. As Alex stood up, I said, "If you don't want the same fate as /your /pussy queen, I suggest you go find my book and bring it back to me." He did so without question. I sat and read for the rest of the period.



"Aidenn Kelen. What has gotten into you?"

She eyed the yellow paper intently, chewing on her bottom lip and tapping her foot. "And you know, Susan is a really nice lady."

"Maybe to you." I plunked down in a chair, making the table tremble slightly. Mouschi jumped off the tabletop and into Oliver's lap.

"Yes, she's nice to me because I'm nice to her, Aidenn." She placed the paper gingerly on the counter and stared up at me. "I honestly don't know what's gotten into you, since what all happened"-

"That has nothing to do with this." I knew exactly what she was picking at. Apicture of my mother on the fridge caught my eye, but I quickly turned away.

"Well, I think your punishment is perfectly sensible. Since Susan's work begins at three thirty, I suppose that seven o'clock would be a good time to come get you."

I ogled. "WHY?"

"To give you time to work, socialize, and clean up. The store closes at six, but Idon't get home until about nine, do I?" I scowled, wanting to chew her out, too. Why was everyone against me today?

"Okay, whatever." I hopped all the way to my room, dragging the cast foot. Olly followed, sitting beside me on the bed.

"You know something I just notice, Aidenn?" His eyes focused on the windowsill. Ifelt my stomach lurch, and looked over. The buttercup was dead. He laughed, and then said, "Well?"

"Go wish in one, loser."

"You agreed."

"So?"

"A deal is a deal." I bit my lip and slid to my headboard. "So cough it up, big girl."

"Fine. But only if you tell me first." He stared at me, and then firmly shook his head, pointing at me. "Why not?" I whined. However, he just stared. "Err..." I looked down and pointed at him.

"Me?"

"No, the man behind you."

I looked up to see him smile. He scooted closer to me and took my face in his hands. I leaned in and closed my eyes then... SPLASH!! He threw his water on me then ran out, giggling like a little boy who had just put tacks under his overweight teacher.

Oh, I was infuriated. My injured leg prevented me from doing anything, really, besides sit, mope, and shiver from the cold water. I meagerly hobbled to the bathroom to retrieve a towel, and as I mopped myself up, I heard him come back in. He paused at the doorframe and leaned against it as I strained out my shirt. He opened his mouth but I cut him short.

"Don't even say one word, Oliver Worth." My words were like venom against his ears. He definitely knew the tone, and normally, he would have backed off. Instead, he walked towards me, against my protests. "Don't you come near me Oliver! No!"

He put a finger over my mouth, and instead of the kiss that had got me soaked in the first place, pulled me into a hug. His torso felt warm against my cold shirt, and in my fury, all I could do was sit there. He leaned his head up a little and whispered, "You really have got to control that temper of yours, Aidenn." I laughed and wrapped my arms around his neck. He was right... I guess. However, so was I.

"Kids? Dinner's ready." He let go, and flashed a smile at me through the bathroom mirror as he proceeded to the kitchen. Using the counters, then the walls, for support, I made my way there too, the smell of spaghetti wafting through the house. Mouschi was in my chair, so I just nudged him off, and waited for my plate to be set in front of me. We ate dinner in near silence.



"Aidenn." I rolled over to look at the lump on the floor.

"Yeah?"

A mass of red hair poked up, and Oliver's eyes twinkled in the moonlight from the window. "I'm really sorry about today. Did I even tell you what was going to happen to me for breaking Trent's nose?"

I sat up against the bedboard. "Actually, no, you didn't." I pulled my hair back as he told me. As he finished I wanted to scream. "They're considering you for /expulsion/?" Oh God, I was mad.

"Aidenn, think. I would be up on the block even if I had slapped his wrist or tripped him. His mother is on the school board. His father is the football coach. What do you expect? I just hope enough of his ex's stand up for me when they talk to them." Yeah, I thought. Especially since the only two girls he HASN'T dated are Mercedes and me. He sat up on the bed and put his head on my shoulder. "We'll make it. If anything, I can go register in a school near Red Bank."

My eyes opened wide. "Red Bank is like an hour away!!"

"I can fix up the old car. I'll get a job." He squeezed my hand. "I'll make it Aidenn. I'll stay here as long as I have to."

I opened my mouth to ask what he meant by that statement, but he yawned and leaned back on my pillow. "Think I need to go lock my door?" I asked.

He laughed. "No. Last thing we need to do is stir up your grandmother. No, just keep your clothes on and we'll be okay."

I rolled my eyes as I turned over. "Yeah, 'cause we all know how hard it is for me."

He placed his hand on my hip, and as far as I can remember, we fell asleep that way.
Sign up to rate and review this story