Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance

Neighbors

by KidB 5 reviews

A young woman residing in a NYC apartment befriends a quiet cartoon artist living next door.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2008-07-19 - Updated: 2008-07-19 - 1166 words

1Moving
Disclaimer – I don’t own MCR. Please don’t sue!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
One

Her feet trudged against the wet floor as she slowly made her way up the dank staircase. As she clutched her coat shut with one white-knuckled hand, the other was currently numb from the pressure of the heavy plastic bag wrapped around her fingers.

She yawned as she reached the fourth floor and was greeted by the slightly musty smell of the quiet hallway. She walked down the cramped corridor and stopped in front of her door before allowing the hand gripping her coat to fall into her pocket. Fumbling in her jacket, she felt the cool metal of her keys slide against the pads of her fingertips and pulled them out before opening her door.

To say her apartment was tiny was an understatement. Her living room consisted of one slightly tattered navy sofa and a scuffed coffee table, a faded television set, and a floor lamp. The ‘kitchen’ was on the other side of the living room and was not a separate room; a few cabinets and an old refrigerator sat nestled next to an old stove. A card table was set halfway between the kitchen area and the living room and had a couple of foldout chairs seated it at. The hallway was off of the main room and had one cramped bedroom and a bathroom.

It wasn’t much, but it was home.

She sighed as she set the plastic bag down on the counter and moved her fingers around to help the blood flow. As she shrugged out of her jacket and hooked it over the back of a chair, the phone rang. She cleared her throat as she picked the phone off of the cradle.

“Hello?”

“Ah, you finally picked up! I’ve been trying to reach you for the past twenty minutes!”

She sighed and held the phone to her ear with her shoulder as she pushed her shoes off. “Hi Rachael. Sorry, I was out getting groceries.”

“In this weather? Are you insane?”

She laughed as she held the phone to her ear with her hand once more. “No, I’m just hungry. What’s up?”

“Well, I wanted to get some dinner-”

“Then get some,” She replied.

“Ugh! Cassandra! Let me finish! I wanted to get some dinner with you, smartass.”

Cassandra smirked at her friend’s response and sat on the couch, looking at the falling snow outside of her window. “Weren’t you just calling me insane for going out in the snow?”

“Well, yeah. But I thought…” She could hear her friend struggling to find words. “Well, who cares what I said! Let’s go out!”

Cassandra sighed and leaned back on the sofa, letting her head rest against the back. “Actually,” She began with a yawn. “I think I’m just going to stay in tonight.”

Rachael groaned on the other line. “Come on, Cass. Just for a couple of hours. Please?”

Cassandra closed her eyes and sighed at the sound of her friend’s pleading voice. She groaned under her breath and glanced at the snow falling in lighter layers outside. “Alright, fine…”

“Yes!” Cassandra could practically see Rachael’s beaming face on the other line. “Okay, um. Meet me in your lobby. The place I want to go to is actually closer to your place than mine so I’ll be over in like ten minutes. Okay?”

Cassandra yawned again and nodded. “Alright. See you soon then.”

As she pulled her coat back on, she yawned again. She was exhausted from work but knew Rachael wanted to go out. And being the good friend she was, she accepted.

Pulling the door open and shutting it with a soft ‘click’, she locked her door quietly before turning around to walk towards the stairs. As she turned to walk, she jolted from the sudden contact of something and fell backwards. She fell to the ground with an ‘oof’ as she heard the sound of items falling to the ground and another human groaning. She winced as she looked up to see the person she ran into.

It was a man that she’d seen a few times before. He seemed to be her age, maybe a year or two older, and had messy black hair and almost translucent skin. His eyes were a hazel color, and very beautiful, she noticed. A black pea coat adorned his medium-built body.

She noticed he was scowling as his eyes left hers to lower onto the ground, and when she glanced in the direction of his gaze, she knew why. A variety of pencils and papers were scattered around them, and she assumed that they were those belonging to an artist. She swallowed hard.

“I am so sorry,” She apologized as she pulled herself onto her knees. The man said nothing and did the same before reaching for his pencils and papers. Cassandra immediately reached out and began collecting items around her to help him. “I was in a hurry and wasn’t looking where I was going…”

The man continued collecting his things silently, not even looking up at her, and she felt uncomfortable. As she handed him a handful of pencils and a few sheets of paper, he took them without a second look.

She bit the inside of her lip and glanced at him hesitantly. “Are you alright…?”

The man shoved his belongings into a black bag hanging off of his shoulder and pulled himself to his knees. He finally looked up at her and his hard stare softened a bit. “I’m fine.”

As she pulled herself to her feet, the man did the same, brushing off the front of her pant legs. She looked around her on the ground. “Did we get everything?”

The man nodded slightly. “I think so.”

Cassandra smiled slightly and looked up at the strange man before her. His eyes were locked on her and she suddenly felt even more uncomfortable than before. She bit her lower lip again – it was a nervous habit of hers.

“So…” She shifted from one foot to the other. “I’m sorry, once again.”

The man nodded again, acknowledging her apology. “It’s fine.”

She smiled at him then, and noticed that his gaze was still heavy on her. “Alright. I guess I’ll… see you around, then.”

He didn’t respond to this; he merely just walked around her, bag slung over his shoulder, and continued down the small hall. As he walked away from her in such a cold manner, Cassandra sighed heavily. He wasn’t very friendly, she realized.

Letting out a slow exhale, she continued walking towards the stairs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

AN – what are your thoughts? I eat feedback by the mouthful. ;-)
Sign up to rate and review this story