Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Boy, The Man, The Beast

FULL MOON RISING

by Moonshyne 0 reviews

With the full moon rising and a new place to transform, Remus tries to balance friendship and his secret.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Characters: Dumbledore,James,Lupin,Peter,Sirius - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-07-20 - Updated: 2008-07-21 - 4565 words

2Original
The next day the dorm room woke up to go to breakfast and get their course schedules. Remus decided he would stay behind a little. Though his father’s potions and creams did wonders on his gashes, there were still a quite few scars, some were really bad. He didn’t want his new friends to see this. Remus also decided the friends were nice, however he needed to keep more to himself if he were to keep his secret. He did not want to disappoint Dumbledore after all he did for him, the whomping willow, the tunnel and the shack in Hogsmeade.

He went down to breakfast and Sirius called him over. “Come on we saved you a seat.”

Well it won’t hurt having breakfast with them. After breakfast Professor McGonagall gave out their schedules.

“Is yours ok now, Remus?” smirked Sirius
.
McGonagall just gave him a disapproving look.

“Look we have History of Magic, with Hufflepuff, for our first class. This sound like fun,” said the usually quiet Peter.

They went down to the third floor class and were all excited about their first Hogwarts class until he showed up. He they are referring to is Professor Binns. The rumor was that Professor Binns died in his sleep at Hogwarts and his ghost woke up and started teaching his class as normal. The class was enthused for about five minutes. Remus tried really hard to be interested, but found he had to jolt himself back from a daydream.

Sirius turned to James, “Wake me when it’s over.”

“Let’s make some excitement?”

“Really?”

“Really.”

James pulled out some blue beetles, and dropped them on the floor. The class went crazy, the girls were jumping on their desks screaming and the boys were laughing hysterically. Lily just shot James a look of total disgust. She was here to learn and he has turned this lesson into a farce.

The next class was double potions with Professor Slughorn, who was also head of Slytherin house. Slughorn never met a smart witch or wizard he didn’t like as they could get him connections. He even had a little club called the “Slug Club” for the bunch that he thought would go far. Remus was really looking forward to this class as his father received and O in his N.E.W.T.s for potions.

Slughorn was teaching them a simple healing potion, which in the end should have a rich green color and thick as muck as to apply it on skin like a cream. James and Sirius were partners and so were Peter and Remus. James tapped Sirius’ arm and pointed over to the front table and there was Severus Snape. James started snorting like he had the sniffles and he and Sirius were trying to hide their laughter. Despite all their fooling around they seem to get closer to the potion then Remus and Peter. Theirs were completely yellow as syrupy.

“I thought you said you would be good at this!!” yelled Peter.

“Sorry, I thought I would be a natural since my father was.”

“Okay next time let me try adding the ingredients while you handle the stirring. We can work as a team and hopefully get a passing grade.”

“It seems the only ones to get this potion right are the partners of Mssrs. Snape and Answorth of Slytherin and Ms. Evans and Ms. Craven of Gryffindor five points each for their respective houses.”
Snape looked over to where Remus sat and gave a sneer. An ‘I told you so sneer’.

Next was Herbology with Ravenclaw, their teacher was Professor Sprout she was a jolly looking woman sort of a young Mrs. Claus.

“Today we will learn the poper planting of the Aloe Vera plant. This is a healing plant that will help with dry skin.”

Sirius whispered to James, “Well Snape won’t need any of this.”

James just snickered as Lily gave him a dirty look, when she turned her head he stuck his tongue out at her.

It was finally time for lunch. As everyone went to the hall, Remus laid back. He managed to get through half the day without too much interaction with James and Sirius. This will be good as he was afraid of getting to close to anyone. He had different partners in all the classes as to not get too friendly with anyone. He was really trying to take to heart what Professor Dumbledore said last night.

“C’mon Remus we saved you a seat.”

“Thanks.” Remus spoke apprehensively.

“What did you think of our little trick in History of Magic? It was worth getting the detention the class was putting me to sleep. It only seemed like Lily Evans was paying attention.”

“It was okay.” Remus thought it was really hilarious, however if he told them that he could really take to being their friends, but he just couldn’t.

“Okay, okay!! I saw you trying not to laugh.”

“Fine it was pretty funny.”

“Have you ever pulled any practical jokes?”

“No.” Remus thought sure I do every month under the full moon; they should see how hysterical that is. It makes sure I have no friends.

“James, we need to teach our new friend Mr. Lupin the art of the practical joke.”

“Sounds delightful. Peter you want to learn too?”

“Really?” asked Peter
.
“Yeah having detention with Sirius all the time might get boring.”

“I’m in.”

“And you Remus.”

“No thanks.”

“C’mon don’t be such a stick in the mud.”

“I just can’t afford to get detention.”

“What like you’re special? None of us can afford to get detention. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.”

“Just leave me out.”

“Touchy.”

Remus finished eating and left.

After Double Charms and Transfiguration, supper was served in the Great Hall and Remus decided that he was not going sit with James, Sirius or Peter. After dinner Remus went straight to the library to do his homework. At 8:30 he left and went to Gryffindor Tower. The common room was full and all the chairs were taken. He slipped up to the dorm and finished his homework. There was no sign of James, Sirius or Peter; they weren’t in the common room when he arrived either. Just as well he wanted the privacy to change into his pajamas. He closed his eyes 3 more days until the next full moon. He fell asleep feeling alone yet again, except he doesn’t have the comfort of his mother and father and he’s so far from home. For the second night in a row Remus went to sleep with tears in his eyes.

It was two days before the full moon and he had a meeting with Madame Pomfrey, the school healer. He went to her office at 5:00 that night and she was waiting for him.

“I never had to deal with a werewolf before maybe you can help me understand a few things.”

“I’ll try”

“What happens when you’re home?”

“About half hour before the moon rises, I go to the shed in the back of my house, it’s set back in the woods. I get undressed and my father takes my clothes. Then I sit and wait, when the moon finally rises the lycanthropy begins. It’s very painful.”

“How painful?”

“I can’t compare it to anything because there is nothing like it. Though it feels like a thousand sharp knives going through your whole body. It feels like every bone in your body is breaking and then contorting. The pain is all over not just in one place as most pains are.”

“What happens after the transformation?”

“That’s when the wolf takes over I really don’t remember. All I can remember is frustration wanting the prey and being frustrated about not getting it. When the moon sets and the sun rises I transform back. Usually I have self-inflicted wounds. Most pretty superficial but sometimes I get really bad ones. My father has a special potion that heals most of the wounds. I still get some scars depends on how bad the wound is.”

“Your father is an exceptional healer I started his last year here. Professor Dumbledore thinks so highly of him. Anything else I should know?”

“I’m exhausted for the next day or two.”

“Anything before?”

“I can get sick like I’m fighting a virus on the day of the full moon. And angry the wolf wants out and tries to take over my mind.”

“Would you like to see where the lycanthropy will take place?”

“Sure.”

Madame Pomfrey took Remus to the Whomping Willow grabbed a long stick, tapped the special knot and the tree stopped flailing its limbs. They went through the tunnel up through the trap door and up the first flight of stairs. There were two rooms scantily furnished and a bathroom. One of the rooms had a bed. There was another level upstairs, just a wide open room.

“What do you think?

“It’s a lot bigger than the shack at home. Hopefully with all this room I won’t hurt myself that much.”

“That would be good.”

By the time they left it was well past 7:00 and Remus had a lot of work to get done. He went to the Gryffindor common room and there were James, Sirius and Peter sitting comfortably having gotten their homework done already.

“Hey Remus where have you been?” asked James

“I had an appointment to keep.”

“With who?”

“None of your business.”

“You know Remus when we met on the train I thought you were so cool and I was happy we were all in the same house together, but lately since the first day of classes you been a git. From now on we give up and stop trying with you!” shouted Sirius.

Remus just took a deep breath and gave a big sigh “Fine.”

That night Dumbledore got an owl from John Lupin.

Albus,

I thought maybe I should come for the full moon to assist Madame Pomfrey and to show her the special charms and potions I use to heal him. It’s always bad when we change locations. Please send me your answer.

Best Regards,

John Lupin



John,

I think that is a wonderful idea. With all the adjustments Remus has had to make it might be nice to see a familiar face. However I wish that you just be there guide Madame Pomfrey as she will need to do it from that point forward. See you Sunday.

Yours Truly,

Albus Dumbledore

It was the day before the full moon and Remus had spent most of the day at the library getting the rest of his homework done. He then went to see what the library books had on lycanthropy. Later in the day he went to dinner which he sat alone. Afterwards he went to the common room to read a muggle book, Frankenstein. About nine o’clock he went to the dorm and changed. The other three were nowhere to be found which suited Remus as he could feel the moon’s pull getting stronger and his anger along with it. He was sitting on the window bench just staring at the nearly full moon, when the trio walked in.

“Hey there,” said Sirius.

Remus had everything tuned out he was staring at the moon scared at what tomorrow night would bring.

“Remus, we’re sorry for treating you badly these last couple of days. Let’s all be friends.”

Remus just kept staring at the moon. Sirius took Remus’ legs and whipped them around “I was talking to you. You’re such a stupid git.”

“Better than being a Black.”

Well that was it, Remus chose the wrong words. Sirius was on him beating the smaller boy badly. Then with the force of two grown men, Remus threw Sirius off him and the tables turned now Remus was getting the better par t of Sirius. There was a look in Remus’ eyes that looked like a caged in wild animal. Just then Fabian Prewett was walking by and heard the commotion, he knocked then walked in.

“Break it up.” He grabbed Remus and took him off Sirius.

Both boys were pretty bruised up. Fabian performed minor healing charms that cleared most the bruises.

“Listen, both of you. I know this will take a period of adjustment it always does for first years and I’ll let this fight slide with out telling McGonagall but you two will need to separate and let cooler heads prevail. Lupin, you look exhausted, you stay here and go to bed. Black go back to the common room, why don’t you two join him.”

Around midnight the trio came back upstairs. Sirius was ready to apologize to Remus, he shouldn’t have jumped on him like that, but Remus was sound asleep.

About three o’clock, Remus sat up screaming “Leave them alone, I stopped being friends with them, just leave them alone!!” He kept repeating it over and over. Sirius noticed that Remus was still sleeping.

Sirius shook him, “Remus wake up. Remus, wake up.”

Remus woke with a start, he was visibly shaken he stared and them and then his hands. When he saw he wasn’t the wolf he broke down crying. Sirius put his arm around his shoulder, “You okay?”

Remus nodded his head rapidly. He hadn’t had one of those nightmares in a long time. Professor McGonagall walked in at that point, sat on Remus bed and asked him if he was okay. Remus nodded yes.

“Come with me, Mr. Lupin. The rest of you get back to sleep.”

Remus left with Professor McGonagall.

Peter whispered. “That was the scariest thing I saw in my life. I wonder what his dream was about.”

“I don’t know,” said James, “but, I think it was about us.”

“Why do you think that?”

“He said ‘I stopped being friends with them’, sound familiar.”

“Maybe his family is like mine,” quipped Sirius.

James gave Sirius a look and he lowered his head. The boys tried to wait up for Remus, but soon gave into sleep.


Meanwhile in McGonagall’s office, “Here have some hot chocolate. Can you tell me what the dream was about?”

“I dreamed the wolf was attacking my dorm mates. Really tearing them apart and I couldn’t stop it.”

“Do you have these dreams often?”

“I used to but not so much these past few months.”

It was an hour before Remus calmed down enough to go back to the dormitory. He was exhausted, morning was breaking and he had a long day ahead. He figured he could get three hours more of sleep before he had to wake up. Then he’ll take his potion, and then apologize to Sirius. At eight o’clock that morning went the other boys woke up and got ready for breakfast.

“Remus. Remus.” James shook him but Remus kept on sleeping. After breakfast the boys decided to go out for a walk around the grounds and hang out on a gorgeous day.

About two o’clock they returned to the dorm. They heard a noise like someone throwing up. They ran upstairs and sure enough there was Remus grabbing his stomach. . James went to put his arm around him, and he was burning with fever. “Get the mediwitch, what’s her name?”

“Pomfrey,” said Sirius. He looked white as a ghost, he never saw anyone that sick before.

Peter ran into a third year Frank Longbottom, “We need the mediwitch now.”

Poppy Pomfrey had just sat down with John and Heather Lupin when Frank ran into the hospital wing. “They need you in Gryffindor tower, right away. A first year is really sick.”

“Stay here, sweetheart.” John and Poppy flooed to the tower and ran to the dorm with the commotion sure enough as suspected it was Remus.

“Remus?”

Remus looked up and saw his father.

“Let’s get you to the hospital wing.” John lifted his son with ease and they flooed to the hospital wing. When they got there Heather ran over to her son.

“Poppy, did he have his medicine?”

“No I’m sorry but it was really busy here today. Actually the first moment I had was when you came.”

After an hour Remus was feeling really good. He really wanted to back to the dorms, but as his father told him that it would be hard to explain why he left again It was better that he stayed here.

“How are you feeling?”

“I’m scared. I had a bad nightmare last night. I was so tired I couldn’t wake up. I’m sorry.”

“Remus, it’s okay. You’re here now, thanks to your dorm mates.”

“The house elves have made you a special dinner.” Said Heather and Remus smiled.

“I’m glad you guys are here.” Remus hugged his parents tight.

The three had dinner in a special room that was set up specifically for Remus.
Shortly after dinner but about 20 minutes before they were to go down to the shack, three boys showed up to see Remus. Madame Pomfrey looked at John , and he nodded. Heather was playing a muggle card game with Remus when they walked in. This was the hardest part the hour leading up to the transformation, keeping Remus busy as he anxiously waited. Remus looked up and there was his three dorm mates, he looked at them a little panicked.

“Hey, Remus. You look better are you coming back tonight?” asked James.

“No,” interjected John. “The potion we gave him makes him feel better for now, but when it wears off, he’ll be sicker than ever. Thank you for making sure he got the proper help.”

‘Why is he alone in that room?” asked Sirius.

“He can get highly contagious.”

“Does he belong at St. Mungo’s? Not that I’m sure Madame Pomfrey isn’t wonderful it just sounds serious and the healers theirs are the best.”

John smiled. “I am a healer from St. Mungos’ and I’ll make sure Remus is well taken care of. My name is John Lupin and this is my wife Heather you boys are?”

“His name is Sirius Black, the boy with the glasses is James Potter and the third is Peter Pettigrew,” said Remus. “You know I can still hear you.” Remus shouted angrily at his father. The moon was really starting to have an effect on him and no amount of potion was going to change this. It was time to go to the shack.

“Remus really needs his rest. Why don’t you try coming back on Tuesday, after classes.”

The three boys looked at each other, but left the hospital wing. After making sure the hall way was clear. Madame Pomfrey, Remus, Heather and John made their way to the Whomping Willow. Madame Pomfrey hit the knot with a stick and as before the limbs stopped swinging. They made it through the tunnel and up to the shack. As Remus undressed, John and Heather took a quick peak around, they were very impressed. Remus sat on the bed in just his tee shirt and underwear, which he will remove after they left. As they said their good byes he gave his parents a huge hug. “You’ll be here in the morning?”

“Of course we will.” Remus felt better.

They left and Remus was alone. Twenty minutes later he felt the first twinges of pain. Remus took deep breaths and tried to fight tem off. Then all of the sudden the onslaught happened. Fur was growing where his skin was, you could hear the bones breaking and reforming to that of a wolf. Remus screamed in pain. Lastly his face changed to the shape of a wolf and the next noise out of his mouth was a howl.

“Madam Pomfrey there is nothing we can do until the moon sets. Why don’t you get some rest you will need it in the morning.”

“And you?”

“We haven’t slept on a full moon in six years. But we’re used to this.”

Not that Madame Pomfrey could sleep, but she saw that the Lupins needed to be alone. After she left, John put his arms around his wife as he did for so many nights and cried.

The wolf ran through the shack looking for the humans he smelled earlier, but there was none. He started attacking the furniture and throwing himself against the doors and walls. Growling and yelping trying to get at the prey he smelled earlier. Not finding any humans he turned to the only human scent in the room, his own. The howling, growling and yelping were deafening. In the village of Hogsmeade, residents who lived near could hear the strange noises coming from the new structure, and thought the house to be haunted. At moon set there was more howling then screaming and finally moaning like someone in pain.

The hours seemed to last forever, at last the moon had set and it was daybreak. John went and woke Madame Pomfrey and then they went to the Whomping Willow as they had done the night before. They got to the door and released the charm that had locked the wolf in. Madame Pomfrey did not know what to expect, but certainly not this. His body was badly bruised and battered, it look like he had a more than a couple of broken bones, but what was the most disturbing was all that blood. He had cuts all over the place some superficial but some very deep. John checked Remus pulse it was a little weak but steady. He then shook Remus and he started to stir. Remus got up slowly and his father sat him on the bed. He brought a white cloak to wrap him up and bring him back to hospital wing. John helped him walk out of the tunnel of the Whomping Willow once out Madame Pomfrey conjured a stretcher. They took him to a private area set aside for Remus’ lycanthropy, took off the cloak and started to clean his wounds, once that was done they did broken bone charms and then took another potion they made earlier and applied it to the most severe cuts. After a few hours they completed the process and Remus, wrapped in bandages, was sleeping soundly. Heather was with Albus as they worked on her son.

After breakfast but before their first class James, Sirius and Peter came to visit Remus. They knocked on the door and Madame Pomfrey answered it.

“I know we weren’t supposed to come until tomorrow after classes but we wanted to see how Remus was feeling?”

“He needs to rest. Maybe you can come back later.”

The boys left and Madame Pomfrey turned to John.

“His friends want to see him. I told them to come back later. But I’m not sure how long or if they should even be here.”

“Maybe after dinner, he might be up to it.”

“Is it always like this?”

“No, we have seen much worse. He might get one or two major and a couple of minor scars out of this. I’m not saying it wasn’t bad but hopefully it will be getting better the more time he spends at the shack. It’s always bad in a new place. The shack prevented him from doing really severe damage, there’s lots of space as opposed to the shed we have at home. Speaking of I need to find Heather to let her know Remus is fine and I think we’ll be leaving tonight. Do you think there’s a bed where we can get a little shut eye?”

“She must be very worried.”

“It’s tough because she knows she can’t really do anything. Can you stay here and keep an eye on Remus. Don’t forget to check the bandages every two hours. Some of the cuts will have healed and he will look less like a mummy.”

“I think so, after all he is my patient.”

John smiled, “Old habits die hard.”

“Thank you for helping me this morning.”


Several hours went by and most of the bandages were off. Remus was starting to stir. The Lupins went to their son’s bedside.

“Hi there, do you know where you are?” asked John.

“Hogwarts hospital wing?”

“Yes, your friends have been up here twice already,” smiled Heather

“Friends?”

‘Yes, James, Sirius and Peter. Professor Dumbledore stopped by also. They’re very worried about you. Your friends will be here shortly, do you want to see them or do I give another excuse as to why they can’t see you? Most of your bandages are off and the ones you have left are under your night clothes.”

“That would be nice to have visitors after the transformation. Get my mind off of things.”

I’m going to move you to the open ward then. After he was moved he had some soup to eat there was a soft knock on the door.

“Come in boys. Remus is up now.”

“Hey there how are you feeling? Asked James.

“Been better.”

“Nothing personal Madame Pomfrey but he looks worse than when you brought him up, and he was in pretty rough shape. Remus I have never been so scared in my life. DON’T DO THAT AGAIN!”

Mr. Lupin gave a little smirk.

“Hello again Sirius, James and Peter.”

“Hey Remus I hope you appreciate this we had to try so hard to stay out of detention tonight.”

“Okay boys Remus needs his rest he should be back in the dormitory tomorrow after some more rest.”

After the boys left Mr. Lupin followed them.

“I just want to thank you for visiting Remus. He hasn’t had very many friends in his life so if you gets a little withdrawn or dreary it’s because he doesn’t know any better. Please take care of him.”

“We will.”

The boys left and Albus came down. “Remus, glad to see you feeling much better and John I take the shack did its job?

“Yes, thank you Professor Dumbledore.”

“Albus. You haven’t been a student for years. Just wanted to make sure everything was alright.”

“We’ll be leaving shortly, Albus. Thank you and Poppy for your hospitality. I can see that Remus is in very good hands.

“Yes he is.”

“Well Remus, have a good nights rest, if you need anything, please send and owl. The same goes for you Poppy.”

“Mum, Dad I’m sorry.”

“Sorry for what?”

“That you’re here for your anniversary.”

“The night is still young,” he winked at Heather, “and there is no place we would rather be.”

John gave Remus a kiss on the forehead and Heather gave him a huge hug and a kiss on the cheek She brushed his hair out of his eyes and smiled at her son. “I love you, and am so proud of you.” She leaned against John as her eyes started to well up. With that they left arm in arm.
Sign up to rate and review this story