Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Canadian Intervention

Back to Hogwarts?

by austin316hockey 0 reviews

Sparks fly in another confrontation with Dumbledore… Harry returns to Hogwarts as a visitor… Frankie gets 'sorted'?! …More strange dreams… and both Frankie and Harry go for a ride on Buckb...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Drama - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!!!] [?] - Published: 2008-07-21 - Updated: 2008-07-21 - 6885 words

2Exciting
16: BACK TO HOGWARTS?

The common room was already a mess as angry spells flew between the combatants. Somehow, Dumbledore had managed to find out the floo address and force his way through, to stand in said room. Travis, Bill, Remus, Deric, the twins, and Moody now stood toe-to-toe with the old wizard.
“Harry? What’s going on?” Ron mumbled, joining him and Frank at the doorway into the common room. He gasped at the sight that met him. “How… what’s HE doing here?”
“I don’t know, Ron, just, wands out!” Harry answered, flicking his wrist and producing his wand. They were then joined by Molly and Arthur, who also produced their wands and quickly joined the battle in tight quarters.

Backed up against the fireplace, the elder wizard finally realized that he wasn’t getting any further. He had gotten off perhaps 10 good, strong curses before being cornered. He had not expected so many people to be in what he believed was a house. Moody could sense he was tiring, and finally growled, “Drop the wand, Dumbledore!” Albus sighed, hesitating on what to do next. Harry caught that brief delay as the elderly wizard thought about his options.
“EXPELLIARMUS!” he shouted, and the wand flew from Albus’ hand, clattering into the corner of the room. It also knocked him off his feet, leaving him to lie in an awkward position against the face of the fireplace.
“Accio WAND!” cried Harry, and the wand flew to his outstretched hand.
“Man, you must really be fucking stupid, old man,” Travis hissed, as Moody conjured up some heavy cords and bound the former headmaster in them.
“What do we do with him?” asked George, finally taking a seat in one of the less-damaged chairs. Hermione and Molly were already casting repair charms on the others.
“Well, the prison cells are almost ready,” said Bill. “I need maybe another 15 minutes or so, and a cell can be ready.”
“I was only…” began Dumbledore.
“Shut up,” Harry hissed. “You have no latitude here whatsoever!”
“Right, then. I’ll let you know when the cell is ready,” said Bill, stepping into the corridor.
“Harry…” Dumbledore again started to say.
“I said shut up,” Harry snarled.
“I think we will be the ones to ask questions here, Dumbledore,” said Moody gruffly as he levitated the headmaster’s bound body into the middle of the room. Just then, the floo fired, and Severus stepped into the room, quickly followed by Minerva.
“Oh dear,” she said, seeing the damage.
“It’s all right, Minerva, we have it under control,” said Remus, as he too at last took a seat.
“Indeed, although I do wonder, how he managed to get in,” said Severus, poking at the fireplace with his wand.
“There was a loud bang, and we found him standing in the middle of the common room,” said Remus. “Fred managed to set off the alarm, and join us in keeping him at bay. His brothers quickly joined us, as did Harry and Ronald.”
“Let’s take this into the library,” said Harry. “Voldemort visited me last night as well, at any rate.”
“Do we make it an official Order meeting?” asked Remus.
“No, the key members are here,” answered Harry.
“What do we do with Dumbledore?” asked George.
“We bring him. I think we have a right to an explanation,” said Travis.

Minutes later, the group once again sat around the large conference table in the library. Albus had been forced into one of the seats, and again tightly bound, as to prevent any possibility of escape.
“What did Voldemort want?” asked Remus, at last.
“He showed me another giant attack,” answered Harry, fingering Albus’ wand.
“A pensieve view, perhaps?” suggested Arthur.
“Right, great idea,” said Harry, absently using Albus’ wand to summon the pensieve from one of the storage shelves. It arrived with more speed than anticipated.
“Damn, Harry, I think that wand likes you,” said Travis. Harry nodded, for the first time getting a close look at the headmaster’s wand. It was truly a beautiful wand, a light colour, with several ‘beads’ along its length. It was slightly longer than his own holly wand.
“Looks like elder wood,” said Molly.
“Those are very rare, at least over here,” said Travis.
“Fine, that’s not important right now,” said Harry, thinking of Voldemort’s visit earlier that morning. He pressed the wand to his temple and drew out from his head a silvery strand, then placed it in the pensieve. He tapped the pensieve to project its contents on the wall, then dipped a finger into it to start playback.

“That was exactly the kind of damage reported in Somerset,” said Minerva as the memory finished. Harry quickly replaced the memory, and then slid the wand into his back pocket, as he used to do with his holly wand.
“A second giant attack. And there are even more rumours that the Dark Lord will make a move on Azkaban to recruit the Dementors, from what my colleagues at the ministry are saying,” said Arthur. Although he and his wife had taken up Harry’s offer to stay in the trunk, he still had his job at the ministry. In fact, they had already been up, given the early hour, as he had to be in the office for 9 am London time… meaning a 3 am wake up time locally.
“Arthur, you better get going, you’re going to be late,” Molly admonished.
“We can handle this, Mr. Weasley,” said Deric. Arthur nodded, leaned in and gave his wife a kiss on the cheek, then stood up.
“Do be careful. I will see you all this afternoon sometime, then.”
“Severus, did Voldemort mention anything about this?” asked Minerva.
“Only after the fact. It seems he has grown suspicious, particularly of me.”
“That’s not good news,” said Remus. “You could be in danger.”
“Do you not think I am in danger EVERY time I am called before him? Merlin’s balls, he tortures at least a few of us at every meeting, if not for only the pure enjoyment of it! I would have been here much sooner this morning, if not for having to take several anti-Cruciatus potions.”
“The thing is, why was he able to get into my head again? I mean, I thought I was past that,” said Harry, sounding frustrated.
“Pot… Harry, the Dark Lord has many more years experience than you do,” answered Severus, as he summoned a calming draught. “You are doing well to keep him away from your memories.”
“How many times has Voldemort visited you this summer, Harry?” Albus asked, finally breaking his silence. Having nothing else to do in his compromised position, the best he could do was observe.
“This is the third time, and the first time I’ve been able to protect my memories from him,” answered Harry. “Severus has been a tremendous help, now that he’s not under your thumb.”
“Harry, I think this once again demonstrates…” began Albus.
“That I’m quite capable of taking care of myself!” Harry snapped, “Right now I’m more concerned about YOUR actions than Voldemort, who is 4,000 miles away from me!”
“Indeed, do tell, exactly what did you think you would accomplish in forcing your way in here, headmaster?” Severus sneered. Harry smirked to himself, quite happy at seeing the potions professor’s cold attitude turned to someone else for a change.
“I only want…”
“What’s best for me, yeah, I’ve heard it before, and it’s a broken record, Dumbledore. I’m really tired of it,” said Harry coldly.
“God, I think you’re fucking crazy, if you ask me, old man. No better than a stalker, in my opinion,” said Travis. “Harry’s told you to stay away from him, but you continuously ignore what he wants. Maybe Azkaban isn’t what you need. I mean, I think UCH has a nice padded room with your name on it.”
“I assure you, Mr. Carter…”
“No, I think Mr. Carter is spot on with that assessment, Albus,” said Minerva. “No sane person would continue to pursue this course of action. I believe you do need the help of a mind healer at this point.” Just then, Bill stepped into the library.
“A cell is ready, if you’re finished.”
“Just now, thank you, Mr. Weasley,” said Minerva, standing.
“I’ll contact UCH about having a mind healer visit,” said Deric, also standing.
“I think it’s best if we keep him here for now,” said Remus. “Nothing against the Canadian ministry, but…”
“Oh, I understand fully. I will deal with the particulars on this,” answered Deric.
“It’s almost comical, you know,” said Travis, “Seeing him being locked up in the same cell block that may also house Death Eaters.”
“Oh, Harry, you’re not really going to…” Albus began, disturbed at the implications.
“Shut up,” Harry hissed. “Since the bloody ministry has no clue on how to properly keep them locked up, then by Merlin’s balls, we’ll do it! Since I don’t have a much better opinion of you, you can join them.”
“Has anyone checked him for the dark mark?” asked Travis, as an after thought.
“No, I can’t see him going that far,” said Remus. Harry, too, shook his head at the thought.

After making sure Albus was secured in a cell, attention turned back to the extra wand Harry had in his possession.
“You know, this one actually responds better than my holly wand,” said Harry as they climbed the stairs back to the main level. The small prison had been installed below that of the main living space, accessed from stairs just off the corridor that led to the individual rooms.
“We could go see Mr. Ollivander,” suggested Hermione. “If there’s one who would know about that wand, it would be him.”
“Anyone up for a trip to Diagon Alley?” asked Harry, quickly assuming his ‘James Evans’ identity.

“Well, well, well, Mr. Potter,” said Mr. Ollivander. “I must ask where you managed to get your hands on this.”
“Dumbledore had it. I disarmed him in a short battle this morning in my trunk,” answered Harry.
“You are correct in it being a very special wand, Mr. Potter. Are you familiar with the Deathly Hallows?”
“No, sir.”
“I don’t know all of the particulars for each of them, however, I am most certainly familiar with one of them, namely the Elder Wand. This wand.” Mr. Ollivander gestured to the wand that now lay on the counter between them. “Do you remember what I told you when you first came into my shop, 5 years ago?” Harry nodded. “Great things, indeed. For here you are again, standing in my shop, holding one of the Deathly Hallows.”
“But, what’s so special about the wand, sir?” asked Travis.
“This wand is perhaps the most powerful wand in existence, Mr. Carter. When used by its true master in a duel, he or she cannot be defeated. At least not easily. It will not allow great harm to come to its true master if used against them.”
“If it can’t be defeated in a duel, then how did I manage to get it away from Dumbledore?”
“Perhaps it would be best if you describe what happened,” suggested Mr. Ollivander. Harry only nodded, then gave a quick version of events earlier that morning.
“It seems, Mr. Potter, you are indeed the master of the Elder Wand. I do caution you, much blood has been spilled over this wand, considering the power it offers.”
“Nothing new on that, I guess,” said Harry.
“Just out of curiosity, give it a wave for me.”
“Sure,” said Harry, and gave the wand a quick swish. A fury of golden sparks bloomed from the end, almost painfully bright.
“Yes, right then. I am certain this wand sees you as its master.”
“I guess, then, I will need an extra holster. Probably for my leg, the best place for it.”
“Harry, you should probably keep with your holly wand, keep the Elder Wand secret,” suggested Travis. Harry only nodded; his suggestion did make sense.

oOo
September 1 arrived, and Harry felt strange, for there was no rushing around in a flurry of packing, as had been the year previous. No, this year there would be no ride on the Hogwarts Express, no welcome feast, no greeting his dorm mates. There would be no returning to Hogwarts this year, and, in some part of him, it just didn’t feel right.

The afternoon found him outside, once again, sitting at the picnic table, his nose in a 7th year Charms text book. It was better to occupy himself, rather than wander about, thinking of things he was missing 4000 miles away. He had been reading materials from both 6th and 7th year, carrying out his personal plan to learn as much as he could, as fast as he could.

Harry had already mastered apparation, and had not splinched himself since mid-August. With Severus’ help, he was also very skilled in Occlumency, by this point able to keep out the most severe of Severus’ attacks. Barring the dream about the destruction of London, nightmares were then far and few between, and Harry believed it was more the fact he had organized his thoughts, a by-product of Occlumency.

He was also beginning to develop his Legilimency skills, once again with Severus’ help. He found this skill much more difficult, but yet, also saw the value of it as a tool. Something he most definitely wanted. He aimed to be as good as Albus was, since he was able to slip into someone’s mind unnoticed.

The Room of Requirement had been set up flawlessly at the beginning of the month, and so, most days, the ‘Ministry Six’ practiced for at least an hour, in a room virtually identical to that they had set up at Hogwarts. Remus and Moody, and sometimes Severus also joined them, teaching spells that could mean the difference in a duel. Usually, if any of them visited during a session, it was a guarantee that duelling would be involved. After several duels in which Harry had used his ‘new’ wand, he was made to promise not to use it further during training, as it seemed to give the Boy-Who-Lived an unfair advantage.

oOo
On September 5, just after a brief meeting with the Order, Minerva approached Harry. “Some of your classmates are wondering how you’re doing.”
“I really would like to…”
“Not to mention, I really would like to set up a study group much like you organized last year.”
“I guess it wouldn’t hurt to visit,” said Harry. “Maybe Ron and Hermione might like to come as well.” Minerva nodded.

“This place is massive,” said Frank, as the group made their way down the numerous stairs and corridors, headed toward the Great Hall. He, Harry, Travis, Ron, Hermione, and Minerva had taken the floo to her office.
“It took me days to get myself around without getting lost.” Harry grinned as the group followed close behind the interim headmistress.
“It’s best not to go off on your own, mate,” said Ron. “There are some here who will not like your being here.”
“Unfortunately, Mr. Weasley is correct, Mr. Iero,” Minerva noted.
“Malfoy, for starters,” said Harry.
“Him AND his cronies,” Ron snorted.
“No matter what your sentiments, I do ask you not to initiate anything. Is that understood?” Minerva had stopped sharply, and turned to face the group.
“Yes, professor,” said Ron.
“I would rather there not be an ugly incident.”
“Nor I, professor,” said Harry. “But I won’t put up with Malfoy’s dragon shit. Especially if he starts anything with Frankie. I draw the line there.”

Harry had described the immense Great Hall of Hogwarts to Frank several times. Yet, Frank was still blown away by the awesome sight that met him as the group passed through the massive doors. The students were, as expected, enjoying dinner. Harry at once noticed that several spaces at the head table were unoccupied.

They had only taken a few steps into the room before someone recognized Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Whispers started at once, becoming a babble of excited voices by the time they arrived at the front of the room. They stood off to the side, while Minerva stepped up to the podium. “Good evening, students,” she began. The room quickly went quiet. “Although I did specifically mention at the welcome feast that Mr. Potter and several other students would not be returning to school this year, he has agreed to return as a guest, for tonight at least.” With that, many students applauded, excepting those in Slytherin. Harry cast a glance over at said table, immediately locking eyes with his hated rival. A mask of cold hate had slid across the face of the blond-haired boy. “I expect each and every one of you to treat him and his fellow visitors with the respect you give your professors. Any deviation from that will be dealt with most severely.” Minerva looked directly at Malfoy as she said those words. “Mr. Potter? Would you like to say a few words?” Harry nodded, and stepped up to the podium.

It was the first time anyone had seen Harry since he had left the school at the end of June. Now, he looked more of an adult than ever, and quite possibly, several inches taller. He had chosen not to bother dressing up, and looked more like a muggle than a wizard. However, he was more than recognizable, with his messy hair and glasses.
“Thanks, professor, for that welcome. As I’m sure she has already explained, I am not returning to Hogwarts this year. I don’t have to spell out why, as you should all know by now…”
“Probably afraid of the Dark Lord,” Draco said quietly. Harry didn’t miss a beat.
“Pardon me, Mr. Malfoy? Maybe you’d like to say it so the rest of us might hear it.” Draco only glared at him. “I didn’t think you would,” Harry continued. “At any rate, Professor McGonagall has asked me to at least come back briefly, and restart the Defence club we organized last year, although this year it will be fully sanctioned by the faculty.” That caused whispers to start amongst the students. “I’ll draw up a plan, after which we will announce the first meeting of the Defence Association.”
“But, why? What can we do?” asked a 3rd year Hufflepuff girl.
“We can do lots of things!” Hermione rebutted, joining Harry at the podium. “Look. V-V-Voldemort is back. The Minister has even acknowledged that in the Daily Prophet. So it’s only proper you as a student body learn more on how to defend yourselves, and, quite possibly, the school.”
“Thanks, ‘Mione, that’s exactly my sentiment. Even without me here, this school is a target for Voldemort and his Death Eaters. It was the one reason Professor McGonagall was able to convince me to return, if only briefly. Give us a day or so. We’ll be sending out a flyer for sign-up and so on.”
“Thank you, Miss Granger and Mr. Potter,” said Minerva, gesturing with her wand. The Gryffindor table was extended slightly, to add space for 5 extra bodies. “You may all sit at the Gryffindor table, since 3 of you would normally belong there anyway.”
“Thank you, professor,” said Harry.

As soon as dinner was finished, Minerva led them to the guest quarters, then into one of the suites. “The floo in here will connect you with your trunk, Mr. Potter,” she said, casting a charm on the fireplace. “You address it as ‘Hogwarts, Harry’s guest room’.”
“Excellent, professor.”
“I thought it might be an advantage for you to come and go as you see fit. I ask you not abuse that privilege, however.” Minerva thought for a moment. “Mr. Potter, I do have one more thing I wanted to ask… would you mind if I add a portrait for your parents in my office?”
“It would be up to mum and dad, but I think they would be honoured,” answered Harry. “I mean, we could ask them now, come to think of it.”
“That we could indeed, Mr. Potter.” A smile almost broke out onto the stern professor’s face. “It’s not an urgent matter, but one I would appreciate you asking. With that said, I do need to return to my office. Do keep me appraised of your dealings with the Defence Association.” With that, she left the room.
“You know, it might be an advantage if we were to put a trunk here,” said Harry, “I mean, the floo is pretty fast…”
“And we’d still need to use the floo anyway, to get back to the cottage,” Travis reminded. He reached into his satchel and pulled out his laptop.
“I will be quite impressed if that actually works here, Travis,” said Hermione.
“And why wouldn’t it? The trunk is almost as magically saturated as this place is, right?” He opened it up, and turned it on, and was more than satisfied when the desktop screen appeared.
“What do you need it for, anyway?” asked Harry.
“I find it much easier to keep notes on the laptop than I do using a notepad. That’s how I work at Nipigon, anyway. Mind you, the classrooms are better designed for laptops and so on. Power outlets and so on.”
“How does that work, without, err, plugging it in?” asked Ron.
“It has a battery. I can get about 6 or 8 hours out of it before I have to recharge it,” Travis explained, switching the computer off. He slid it back into the satchel.
“Right,” said Ron, still not entirely sure of the ‘muggle technology’ thing.
“So Harry, are you staying here tonight?” asked Hermione.
“No. I mean, I’d like to take Frankie up to the astronomy tower in a bit, but…”
“Right, mate, and wind up meeting Malfoy or one of his cronies,” Ron objected.
“Not with this, we won’t,” answered Harry, producing a folded piece of parchment. He produced his wand, and tapped the parchment, saying, “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” Text slowly began to form on the previously blank parchment proclaiming, “Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs, Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers are proud to present THE MARAUDER'S MAP.” Harry unfolded it, and Frank was amazed as the parchment began to lay out a map.
“Your father and his friends made this?” he finally asked.
“Yeah. They made it when they were students here,” answered Harry. “Fred and George gave it to me in 3rd year, although then I had no clue who it had belonged to. Look at this. It shows every person in the castle and Hogsmeade village. We are… right here…” Harry indicated a spot on the map, and sure enough, 5 small dots appeared, all identified by name.
“Hey, even I’m on there,” said Frank.
“Harry did say EVERYONE,” Travis laughed.
“Show me Draco Malfoy,” Harry commanded. The map shifted, to highlight Draco. “Great, as expected, in the Slytherin common room, along with his misfit cronies.”
“Surprised those two aren’t bothering the elves in the kitchen,” Ron snorted.
“What for… Oh,” said Travis, as he quickly understood. “Let me guess… both fat, and neither are the sharpest tools in the shed.”
“Right,” said Harry, and promptly burst out laughing. Travis had summed them up perfectly. It took him a few moments to recover, but he at last tapped the parchment with his wand, saying, “Mischief managed”. The parchment seemed to erase itself.
“We’ll see you back in the trunk, mate,” said Ron, as he activated the floo. He and Hermione stepped in, and he said, “Travis Carter’s Residence!” Both vanished in the red flames.
“Watch your back, guys,” said Travis, who then also used the floo, to return to the trunk.
“Come on, let’s go,” said Harry, leading Frank out of the room.

“We can’t stay too long up here, I mean, it’s a popular spot to snog, if you get what I mean,” said Harry, as they arrived at the top of the astronomy tower. The sun was low on the horizon, the sky lit up in a display of red hues that faded into blue, with only a few clouds marring its perfection. Harry drew his wand and cast a locking spell on the door they had come through, the only entrance.
“Is that all people do up here, well, outside class time?”
“Um, right… no, I’d rather not think of that, thank you very much,” Harry answered.
“So have you um, well…”
“Cedric and I? Of course, more than a few times,” answered Harry, a smile coming over his face. Yes, it was much easier to deal with those memories now that Harry was, once again, at least able to talk to Cedric. Like his parents and Sirius, having a wizard portrait made the pain of loss somewhat less. No, it would never replace the tangible people they represented, but it was far better than the empty void that their deaths had caused.
“So are we just gonna stand here or are we gonmmmmfff.” Harry silenced Frank by locking lips with his, sliding his arms around the young man, amusement dancing in his eyes. He found his hands sliding down Frank’s chest, gently caressing him through the light tee shirt he had on, his member beginning to rise as did his own excitement at the man he was snogging.

oOo
“Here, let me clean your hand,” said Harry, flicking his wrist and producing his wand. Frank withdrew his hand from Harry’s pants, and Harry made a gesture with his wand, saying, “Scourgify!” The sticky mess was banished from Frank’s hand.
“Um… well, could you, um…”
“Right,” said Harry, pointing his wand at Frank’s crotch, once again saying, “Scourgify!” He then repeated the process for himself, saying, “Right useful that spell is.”

It was well after dark before they finally retreated back to the guest room Minerva had assigned to them, and travelled through the floo back to the trunk. To Frank, it was weird to see the sunlight still streaming through the fake windows of the trunk, as it was only just after 5 pm local time. There were 5 hours difference between Ontario and Scotland.
“Well, now that we’re back in Ontario, shall we watch the sunset again?” Harry smirked. “I mean, what better way than to do something twice, without a time turner?”

oOo
The evening had been truly amazing, as they once again watched the sunset, this time from Harry’s Firebolt, as they had done the first night at the cottage. They had then sat around the bonfire, once again escaping the various issues that were plaguing them at the time. Now, Harry and Frank lay asleep, tightly wrapped in each others’ arms, a common occurrence over the past while.

For Harry, though, it was not a restful sleep. He once again found himself flying on his broom, although this time, he felt two arms wrapped around his waist. He assumed it was Frank, and seeing the letters tattooed on his fingers confirmed it. Yet, where were they? The landscape was similar to that of the cottage, and once again, the colour of the leaves on the trees told him that it was mid-autumn. Suddenly, there was a blinding flash on the horizon, from which there rose an enormous mushroom-shaped cloud of angry, boiling energy. It had to be one of the most terrifying things he had ever seen.

He woke up trembling, with Frank shaking him, a nervous look on his face. “Harry? Come on, wake up.”
“Huh? Err… Bad dream,” said Harry, getting himself into a sitting position.
“What was it about?” asked Frank.
Harry quickly related the vision, then said, “I think that one was related to the one I had a couple weeks ago.”
“Yeah, seems like that,” Frank agreed. “Shit, might as well get up,” he said, looking at his watch. It was just after 4 am.

Resigning to the fact that there was not much he could do about the strange dreams, Harry set about working on a brief plan for the new Defence Association. He decided that this time, it would be open to just about everyone, although he would have the final say on who could join. No, he definitely didn’t want Draco and his cronies causing problems for the group.

It took him about an hour to hammer out a rough outline of the club, and a few minutes more to prepare a sign-up sheet. Gathering the materials, he took the floo back to Hogwarts, forgoing using the one in the guest quarters, and arriving in the Headmistress’ office.
“Mr. Potter! I do say you should call before just coming through,” Minerva scolded. It appeared as though she were looking over some correspondence of some kind.
“Sorry, professor… just… didn’t get a lot of sleep last night… err… I finished the rough plan for the Defence Association, and I’ve got sign up sheets for all the houses,” Harry said, rather quickly.
“I see.” Just then, the floo fired again, expelling Frank out onto the floor of the office. Harry had to grin; Frank had still not learned the finer points of travelling by floo. That drew another scowl from Minerva, as she looked up from the parchment Harry had passed her.
“Is it all right if I join my former house mates at lunch?” asked Harry.
“Of course, I think that’s fine,” said Minerva.
“Feeling better, Mr. Potter?” Harry looked up to see the sorting hat ‘looking’ back at him (considering the hat actually didn’t have eyes).
“Err, yeah, fine, thank you.”
“And I am to assume, part of your feeling better has something to do with the young gentleman in your company?”
“I guess so.”
“Who are you?” asked Frank.
“I am only known as the sorting hat. When new students first arrive here at Hogwarts, it is my duty to determine which house best suits them. Headmistress, I wonder if you would mind… satisfy a hat’s curiosity.”
“Does it hurt?”
“Nope,” answered Harry with a smile, the memories of his sorting coming back to him with a flurry.
Minerva summoned the hat, then said, “It’s up to you, Mr. Iero, I will only allow it with your consent.”
“If it’s not gonna hurt, why not?”

As the hat was slipped on his head, he heard a voice fill it. “Well, Mr. Iero… let me see. Lots of courage there, ah, but loyalty has to be the strong point… my, you care much for Mr. Potter, I see.”
“More than anything else,” Frank answered.
“Lots of bravery there, I see… no, your strongest attribute has to be loyalty,” said the hat. “No doubt, Mr. Iero, I would place you in Hufflepuff.”
“The house for everyone else,” said Frank.
“No, never look at it that way,” said Harry, as Frank took off the hat. “Cedric was in Hufflepuff. I mean, lots of strong people came out of Hufflepuff.”
“Indeed, Mr. Potter,” said the hat, now resting on Minerva’s desk.
“Of course, it also goes without saying that one’s house is never the absolute determining factor on where one will end up, once they leave these walls,” said Minerva.
“Very true,” said Harry, darkly. He only needed remember a certain rat for those words to ring true.

After joining his former house mates for lunch in the Great Hall, Harry led Frank out of the castle and down to the small cottage, in which resided the keeper of grounds and keys, but more importantly, one of Harry’s dear friends: Hagrid. They had not seen him at lunch, and Minerva believed he was probably preparing for his afternoon classes. Harry reached up, knocked on the large door, and at once could hear Fang barking inside.
“Hagrid?” called Harry.
“Harry! Be righ’… get back, Fang!” Harry had to smile at the supposed antics going on behind the closed door.

Frank almost gasped at the size of Harry’s friend, who virtually filled the doorway. Harry only grinned, shaking a massive hand offered by the half-giant.
“Good to see yeh, come in, come in!” Harry and Frank followed him into the cottage, both accepting offered seats.
“How was yeh’r summer?” asked Hagrid, pouring himself a cup of tea. “Want a cuppa?” Both shook their heads.
“Best ever, I think,” answered Harry, “I mean, I gave a few people a right scare, but I had to do things for myself, and well, I have no regrets. If people can’t forgive me for that, then they have no business expecting me to be their friend, or to be asking anything of me.”
“Yeh have a righ’ ter that, I s’ppose,” said Hagrid with a nod.
“You don’t sound happy about it,” said Frank.
“An’ yeh’re?”
“Oh, sorry, Hagrid. This is my bes… no, my boyfriend, Frank Iero. Frankie, Rubius Hagrid,” Harry introduced. Hagrid only smiled and nodded, quickly understanding, as they shook hands.
“Yeh have ter understand, Dumbledore gave me the benefit of the doubt, yeh see, back when I was expelled. I’m still havin’ a tough go, believin’ he’s done the things he’s ben charged with.”
“I know that, but I can tell you he did, Hagrid. And he’s still coming after me. He broke into my trunk yesterday morning, wanting to do Merlin-knows-what. He’s gone mental, Hagrid,” said Harry.
“An’ yeh believe yeh can defeat You-Know-Who?”
“With the support I have, I believe so. I’m rather hoping I can still count you as one of them. You were the first friend I made in the wizarding world.”

They lost track of time from then on, discussing various subjects, some of which made Frank pale as they reminisced about some of the crazy incidents the ‘golden trio’ had been involved in during their first 5 years at Hogwarts.

A knock at the door broke the conversation. Hagrid opened it to reveal a 3rd year Hufflepuff boy. “Err, Professor Hagrid?”
“Merlin’s beard, I’m late!” Hagrid exclaimed, getting a grin from Harry. They quickly hurried from the cottage to meet the class, who were all waiting nearby.
“Yeh remember yeh’r 3rd year classes, Harry?” asked Hagrid.
“The hippogriff, of course. Why… wait. Hagrid, have you had this group of students yet this year?” asked Harry, uneasily.
“No, but they’ll be fine, yeh’ll see,” Hagrid reassured, “Unless, yeh’ve got other plans.”
“No, nothing really planned… maybe I better come along,” said Harry, remembering all too well the fiasco that had been Hagrid’s first Care of Magical Creatures class. As funny as it had been to see Malfoy get tossed on his arse, it still almost resulted in Buckbeak being destroyed, and Hagrid being fired.

Frank was amazed at the sight of the hippogriff, as it landed gently in the clearing, while Hagrid continued to explain the basics on how to approach one.
“Harry,” Hagrid said, suddenly, “Why don’ yeh demonstrate with Witherwings, here.”
“Harry…” Frank began.
“No, it’s Ok, Witherwings knows me,” answered Harry. “Come on.” He grabbed Frank’s hand, and both approached the hippogriff. “Ok, now we have to bow.” They both gave a respectful bow, and then stood, waiting to see the reaction of the animal.
“Here, Mr. Iero, he migh’ appreciate it,” said Hagrid, tossing him a dead ferret. Frank was rather startled as the carcass landed at his feet with a plunk. At that moment, the hippogriff eyed Frank and Harry, and then bowed his head briefly.
“Feed him the ferret, Frankie,” said Harry.
“Right.” Frank was clearly not convinced, but stooped down, picked up the dead animal, and tossed it to Witherwings, who caught it in his beak.
“Well done, Harry, Mr. Iero. I think yeh can approach him now,” said Hagrid.

Up close, Witherwings was magnificent, so Frank thought. Harry gently rubbed the side of his head, at which the animal clicked in approval. That got a round of applause from the class, who were wisely keeping their distance.
“So you actually rode him before?” asked Frank.
“Yeah. Only thing that can match me on a broom, I think,” said Harry. He turned to Hagrid. “Do you think we could go for a ride?”
“I was hopin’ yeh’d ask, Harry, o’ course yeh can!” answered Hagrid, enthusiastically. The hippogriff seemed to understand, and actually knelt, so that both could climb onto his back. Several of the class began to protest, but Hagrid reassured them, saying, “Harry’s don’ this before, no need teh worry!”
“It’s just like riding a broom,” said Harry, “Wrap your arms around my waist, and hold on.” He did so, as the half-bird, half-horse regained his feet. With Harry’s urging, he took a few running steps, opened his wings, and they lifted into the air.

The excited yell from his passenger, and the tightening of his grip around Harry’s waist told him all he needed to know this was a good idea. They soared over the lake, and circled the castle grounds, all the while, Harry giving Frank a short impromptu tour of the school.

“All right, Buckbeak, let’s get back,” said Harry, finally.
“Buckbeak? I thought his name was Witherwings,” said Frank, confused.
“We renamed him to hide him from the Ministry,” answered Harry, as they circled around to fly back to the class. “If they knew he was still around, well…”
“Oh,” said Frank.
“Well, I told you about the fiasco of our first class in 3rd year, just like this one… except Malfoy and his cronies were there.”
“Right, I remember now.”
“I will deal with Malfoy eventually, he’s a menace.”

As they touched down again in the clearing, Harry found Fawkes sitting on a low branch, with a letter tied to one of his legs. As soon as they got off the hippogriff’s back, the bird flew down to land on Harry’s outstretched hand, so he could retrieve the letter.
“Have a good fligh’, Harry?”
“Of course.”
“That was awesome,” said Frank, while Harry opened the letter. Fawkes vanished in his customary flash of red flames. It was a short note, but to the point.
“Bloody hell!” Harry exclaimed. “Sorry, Hagrid, we have to go.”

They quickly returned to the guest quarters, and then used the floo to return to the trunk.
“Oh, thank Merlin,” said Molly, seeing Harry and Frank step into the library.
“What happened?” asked Frank.
“Death Eaters attacked Longbottom manor a while ago. Neville’s gone to St. Mungo’s to be with his grandmother, who was seriously injured in the attack,” explained Sirius from his portrait.
“Luna, Tonks, Remus and Moody took the floo back to her place to check up on things there,” explained Molly, at last calming down a bit.
“Why would… Oh,” said Frank, quickly connecting the dots.
“When Mrs. Longbottom is better, I think we should offer for her to stay here with us,” said Harry. “I don’t think Neville could stand losing her, it’s bad enough, well, with his parents, right? Same with Luna’s father.”
“I’ve already rung my parents,” said Hermione.
“They’re welcome to come here, too,” said Harry.
“No, they’re going to my aunt’s place in Australia.”
“If they need any help…”
“No, that’s quite all right, Harry… I can still ring them up once they get there. They wanted me to go as well, but I explained that I’m needed here.” Harry was about to rebut that statement, but in truth, he knew he needed all the help he could get. He knew he would be the one to cast the last curse at Voldemort, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t have help getting there.


AUTHOR’S NOTES: A few things happened in this chapter to move things along. Once again, things have deviated severely from the canon timeline, but what do you expect, right?

Hagrid is an EXTREMELY CHALLENGING voice to write. Man, constantly looking up his dialogue in the books, to try and capture it, and it might still not be right. See something that’s not quite right there? Let me know, it would be appreciated!

Now… as far as “Canadian Intervention” is concerned, there is most definitely a timer on it, which will expire shortly after October 31, 2007 (Current story date is September 6, 2007). So yes, we are very quickly approaching the end of it.

Lament not, however, as I am already planning the next in the series, as has already been mentioned, which will continue exactly where “CI” ends.

Now that you have heard from me, it is my turn to hear from you. Kudos, or constructive criticism are most definitely welcome! Flames, are NOT.
Sign up to rate and review this story