Categories > Original > Fantasy > No Such Thing As Vampires!

I Couldn't Think Of A Name For This Chapter So I'm Going To Call It Waffles.

by Catt670 0 reviews

Just Derrick and Holly talking pretty much.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2008-07-25 - Updated: 2008-07-25 - 1294 words

0Unrated
“We need to talk.”

“Yes we do,” I agreed after getting over the shock of Derrick appearing in front of me in the time span of a blink. I gestured to the chair in front of my desk while plopping down on my bed. He swiveled the chair around to face me and lazily, but somehow still very gracefully, sat down.

I stared at him, waiting for him to say something. He avoided making eye contact and kept silent. I've never been a really patient person, so 5 minutes later I decided to break the awkward silence, “So... you're a vampire.”

Derrick looked up at me with a minuscule smile on his lips. I found myself staring at them as he spoke, “Yes... I am. You're unusually calm about this fact.”

I pondered this. I was, wasn't I? I wasn't even scared of him. Unnerved? Yes. Scared? Not even a little.

I must be going completely insane.

I would have to be. Who wouldn't be scared of someone you found out was a vampire? I should be cowering in a corner, begging him not to drain me of my blood. Yet, I wasn't. Now, why was that? Maybe... maybe it's because I trust him.

“I trust you, Derrick,” I said, voicing my thoughts, “And plus, if you really wanted to rip my throat out, you would've done it by now.”

“True,” he said thoughtfully, “But I could be saving you for later, maybe I've already eaten?”

I raised my eyebrows at him, “Touché.”

He chuckled, lightning the mood, “I don't get you.”

I rested my elbow on my knee and cradled my head in my hand, staring at him intently, “Why is that?”

“You know I'm a vampire, but you're not scared, you're not running away... no, you're sitting here,” he gestured to me, “3 feet away from me, a vampire, who could kill you in 2 seconds, and I can sense no fear whatsoever in you.” He dropped his hand back into his lap and looked at me incredulously.

I blinked at him, “I trust you,” I repeated, “You couldn't kill me, you don't have it in you.”

He stood up so swiftly I almost missed the movement, “How do you know that?! You've only known I even existed for 2 days! You've barely talked to me! I could be a mass murdering, blood-sucking vampire, cleverly disguised as a high school student!” His voice had raised volume steadily through his speech.

“Even if I'm not that, I could lose it at any second! My control is near perfection, but I'm not quite there yet,” he said and then came inches away from my face, then hovered over my neck. I heard him in inhale deeply through his nose, he whispered in my ear, “Do you know how delicious your blood smells? Do you know how hard it is to resist the urge to sink my fangs into your neck and drain you dry?”

Now that scared me. He backed away, sitting back down in front of me. My heart was pounding in my ears, and I'm pretty sure my face was frozen in shock.

“Finally,” he said exasperated, “You have to understand how dangerous I can be, Holly. If I lost my control, there's no way you could fight me off.”

“You callin' me a wimp?” I said weakly, still not moving an inch. That's me, always masking my feelings with sarcasm.

Derrick appeared before me again too quick for my lame human eyes to follow, “Holly, a grizzly bear couldn't fight me off. I can lift weight up to almost a ton. As you've seen, my speed is inhuman, I can run over 200 mph. It would all happen so fast you wouldn't have time to react.”

“Okay, I get it, don't trust you,” I said as he once again took his seat.

“Thank you,” he said, and I could see the visible relief from finally getting me to be scared of him. Well, maybe he wasn't so much trying to make me scared as trying to make me wary of him.

“So now will you please explain to me how vampires went from being mythical creatures to being real over night?” I said, as my heart finally settled down.

Derrick laughed again, “Well, it didn't exactly happen over night. Vampires have existed for a very, very long time. I don't have any clue how we came to be, so don't ask.”

Me, being my usual curious self, started bursting with questions, but I didn't want to overwhelm him, so I just asked one that was particularly bugging me, “How have you kept it a secret?”

“It's not that hard. Besides the distinctive features, we aren't that different from humans.”

“The distinctive features being abnormally pale skin, unusually colored eyes, and a very cold body temperature?” I questioned, and he nodded. I looked into his beautiful golden eyes, “Do all vampires have gold colored eyes?”

“It depends on the vampire's age. The younger you are, the brighter your eyes. The older, the darker,” he explained.

There was another question begging to be asked, “Are you immortal? Every variation of vampire I've ever read or seen in movies is always immortal.”

Derrick nodded, “Yes, we're immortal. We look the exact way we looked when we were changed. The only differences would be the skin and the eyes,” he said holding up his arm and pointing at his eyes.

I smiled at him, “So, how old are you?”

He looked uncomfortable, “You don't need to know.”

“Aww, come on.” I made puppy dog eyes at him.

He half-smiled, “Maybe some other time.” Darn your immunity to my puppy dog eyes.

I crossed my arms, “Fine.”

He smiled, and I couldn't help but smile back at him. “So, back to the secret keeping,” I said, “You're looks may help you blend, but I'm sure people would notice if a bunch of people stayed the same age for 20 years.”

Derrick's melodic laugh filled my room once again, “We move around a lot. We stay in one place for about 10 years, until we're almost noticeably not aging, then we move on. The place we moved from recently was farther up-state, in Northern Washington. We were going to stay there until the end of the school year, but... something happened,” he vaguely ended.

I decided not the push the matter, he didn't seem to want to elaborate, “You kept saying 'we', does that mean you're in... like, a vampire coven or something like that?”

He nodded, “Something like that,” he said with a grin, “I have a family, not blood-related or anything, but we treat each other like one. I have a father, William, and a brother and a sister, Jason and Cassandra.”

Something clicked in my brain, “Those were the two you were sitting with at lunch the other day?”

“Yeah, that was them.” Derrick suddenly glared at my neck.

I reached up and felt the two holes, “Do you know who did this?” I asked softly.

“No, I don't recognize the scent, it's nobody I've met,” he said, still glaring.

I studied his furrowed brow and his golden eyes clouded with anger, “Why does it make you so angry?”

He looked up at me and stared into my eyes for a second before his gaze softened considerably. We stared at each other for a second before he opened his mouth to reply.

“Holly! Can you come help me real quick?” My mom's voice carried through the door to my room as she knocked.

I turned around to face the door, “Hold on a sec, Mom!”

I turned around to face Derrick, “Wha -” I stopped when I didn't see him in the chair. I looked around the room.

He was gone.
Sign up to rate and review this story