Categories > Anime/Manga > Bleach > Strawberry taste and tattoos

Christmas present trouble

by Hamano_Asuka 0 reviews

Christmas is creeping round the corner and Ichigo has big problems in buying Renji a christmas present. And then his family and Rukia gives the boys a very special gift. [Shounen-ai]

Category: Bleach - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Abarai Renji, Kuchiki Rukia, Kurosaki Ichigo, Kurosaki Isshin - Warnings: [?] [X] - Published: 2006-02-28 - Updated: 2006-02-28 - 8395 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I certainly DON'T own Bleach and it most certainly owns me.

Note: I really had trouble on this chapter. It was really hard to come up with Renji's gift. So Ichigo wasn't the only one who had trouble. I had Rukia's gift all set up, Ichigo's gift set up, Renji's and Ichigo's gift from Rukia set up. But I had a really big problem not knowing what Ichigo was to give to Renji. "What the hell do you buy to a guy like that?" That was the kind of question that whirled in my head. I guess that's what whirled in Ichigo's head to...

Chapter 6 - Christmas present trouble

Ichigo walked down the street once again and looked through all the windows once again. "Damn. Never thought it would be this hard."
It was one week left until Christmas and Ichigo still hadn't found a gift for Renji. It was a hard task, since he had absolutely no idea of what Renji wanted.
Rukia's gift had been easy, but it had been extremely embarrassing to walk into the toyshop. Once inside he had quickly gathered some pens, rubbers and write pads, all decorated with small bunnies. But the pain was far from gone, since he had to stand in line for about an hour, in which he tried with all possible matters to hide his purchase. And the whole time a little girl, who stood before him in line, had been staring at him. She had smiled and pointed on what he had been carrying. Then she had waved her own write pad around, this one also with bunnies. He had blushed and tried to ignore her, but she just kept on smiling and trying to get Ichigo to smile back.
Now he actually wished he'd be in that line again. At least it had been warm inside the store, and no matter how many times he walked down the street he wasn't able to find even a single thing to buy to Renji. He checked the time and realized that he had to go home. Renji's gift had to wait yet another day.


Rukia heard a soft knock on her door.
"Rukia?"
"Yes?"
"Can I come in?"
Rukia opened the door and found Renji standing on the other side.
"Sure, Renji."
Renji stepped into the room.
"See. I know how to enter a room properly."
Rukia blushed.
"You'll never forgive me for that will you?"
"Nah. Already forgiven you. Just like to tease you a little."
Rukia put out her tongue. Renji smiled and patted her head. She smiled and for a moment all they did was look at each other and smile. Until Rukia broke the silence.
"What do you want?"
"What makes you think I want something?"
Rukia glared at Renji.
"Okay! I got it. Stop staring like that."
"Hah! I knew it."
Rukia smiled and preformed a little happy dance.
"I wanted to talk with you."
She stopped dancing.
"With me? Why?"
"Do I need a reason for everything? Can't you accept that I maybe just want to talk with you? Like best friends usually do."
Rukia blushed.
"Renji... I'm so..."
"Don't!"
Rukia looked at Renji, who now had a very firm look in his eyes.
"Right."
Renji walked past Rukia and sat down on the bed.
"So... How's life hanging?"
"What?"
"What's new in your life?"
"I... Wha... I... well..."
Renji sighed.
"Rukia. I know I suck at this, but you're not actually making it any better."
Rukia looked down at the floor.
"Sorry."
"No! No more sorry!"
"I'm so..."
Renji threw one of the pillows in her face.
"What did I just say?"
Rukia looked confused for a while. The she picked up the pillow Renji just thrown and whammed it into Renji's face. His confused expression was so funny that she just couldn't hold the laughter in.
"Oh, yeah. You're picking a fight!"
Renji picked up one of the other pillows.
"You've chose the wrong guy to pick a fight with!"
He swung the pillow at her, but she dodged it easily.
"Hah! You have to do better than that," Rukia laughed.
"Don't drop your guard."
Renji slammed the pillow into her head and soon the pillow fight was in full motion.


Ichigo closed the front door behind him and hung up his coat. "Wonderful! Yet another day without any success. Damn it. I'll have to ask Rukia. Maybe she can think of something."
"Oni-san?"
Yuzu came up to him.
"Yes, Yuzu?"
"Could you tell the others that dinners ready."
"Yeah."
Ichigo went off to tell everyone about dinner.


"Mercy! Mercy!"
Rukia collapsed on the floor, laughing her heart out.
"Mercy!"
Renji laughed and followed her example. He collapsed beside her and they laughed for a long time. When the laughter settled, Renji turned to lie on his side and looked at Rukia. She still laid on her back, with her eyes closed and smiled.
"Rukia?"
She opened her eyes and turned her head toward Renji.
"Yes, Renji?"
"Are... are you happy?"
Renji looked at Renji for a long time, stunned and surprised. Then she smiled and looked up at the ceiling again.
"Throwing back my question, are you?"
Renji blushed. Rukia's smiled grew wider.
"Of course I'm happy, Renji."
"Then why did you run away crying when we talked last time?"
"Because I was stupid enough to think that you were about to forget me. That you were too happy with Ichigo, to even need me."
"Rukia..."
"It's okay. I know now that it was just stupid thinking."
"I'm sorry Rukia. I guess I've kind of neglected you since me and Ichigo... well, found each other."
A faint blush showed itself on Renji's cheeks. He took Rukia's hand in his and squeezed it a little.
"But I will always be your friend."
Tears showed up in Rukia's eyes.
"I guess this is similar to what you felt when I got adopted. This feeling of being abandoned. Of being left behind."
She smiled, but the tears came running down her cheeks anyway. Renji started to feel a little awkward and really didn't have any idea of what to do or say. Luckily he was saved by a soft knock on the door.
"Guys! Dinners ready!"
Ichigo stuck his head through the doorway and looked at the two friends laying on the floor.
"Is there a reason you're laying on the floor?"
"No, we just like the floor," said Renji with a slightly sarcastic voice.
"We just talked a little," Rukia said and got up on her feet.
"So all feelings are out? No more hidden questions, or so? It's all solved?"
Rukia smiled and Ichigo felt relieved. Then he turned his eyes to Renji, who were still laying on the floor by some reason.
"Do you need help in getting up, or what?!"
"No. Just motivation."
Renji smiled, though it was more of a smirk then a smile.
"I said dinners ready. Are you not hungry?"
"Yeah. But that's not really enough motivation."
"I'm going downstairs," Rukia said smiling. "Just don't do anything too perverted in my room."
She left the room, along with the two blushing boys and went downstairs.
"Give me your hand. I'll help you up, you lazy as."
Renji took Ichigo's hand, but instead of being pulled up, he pulled Ichigo down.
"I said I needed motivation, not help."
He pulled Ichigo really close and kissed him. When they parted, Renji got up and smiled.
"You said dinner was ready?"
He walked out of the room and left Ichigo, slightly confused, on the floor. When Ichigo got his senses back he quickly got on his feet.
"Hey! Renji, you tease!"


"Are you still upset over that?"
Ichigo pouted and turned away from Renji. He wasn't really upset; he just liked the idea of teasing Renji back.
"You hardly said a word to me in hours. Really, how long does it take for you to cool down?"
Ichigo snorted.
"Ichigo..."
Renji walked up behind Ichigo and put his arms around Ichigo's waist. Ichigo could feel Renji's breath against his neck and knew that his defences were breaking down.
"Ichigo, please don't be mad," Renji said in a lingering tone.
Renji placed his lips against Ichigo's neck and all of Ichigo's defences fell.
"Renji..."
He turned around and answered Renji's kiss.


Renji looked out the window. The moon was up and it seemed like such a peaceful night. The lights played along the road outside and the shadows seemed to have a life of their own. Renji turned and looked at Ichigo, who peacefully lay asleep in the bed. The moon gently shone on his face and gave him an innocent look.
"You're not that innocent," Renji whispered under his breath and smiled.
Suddenly Renji saw something in the corner of his eyes and all his senses were sharpened. He quickly changed into a shinigami and jumped out of the window.


"Renji, close the window. It's freaking cold in here."
When Ichigo didn't get any answer, he sat up and found that Renji was gone. He yawned and then he closed the window. "Where has he gone now?"
He crashed down on the bed again and just when he had closed his eyes and was seconds away from falling asleep, someone knocked on the window.
"What now?"
"Ichigo, could you please open? It's cold out here."
He recognized Renji's voice and put his pillow over his head.
"Ichigo... Please..."
Ichigo sat up and opened the window. Then he crashed down on the bed again and pulled the covers to his chin. Renji jumped in and closed the window.
"It sure is cold tonight."
"Could you at least close the window next time?"
"Sorry! Didn't have that much time to think about it though. Damn hollows raging the town. How come you can just keep on sleeping? Can't you sense them or what?"
"Never been good at that sensing thing."
Renji removed his clothes and slipped down next to Ichigo.
"Ah! You're cold!"
"Can't I steal some of your warmth," Renji said smiling.
"Sometimes I think that's all you're good at. Stealing I mean."
Renji moved closer and shivers went down Ichigo's spine. Though it was not because of the cold.
"What's with you now? And why didn't you open the window right away? Do you want me to catch another fever?"
"You left the window wide open and it was freezing in here. It still is, by the way. And I had just closed it when you came knocking."
"Sorry."
"Just close it next time."
Ichigo closed his eyes and fell asleep. Renji sighed, moved closer and closed his eyes. "He could've at least given me a goodnight kiss."


When Renji woke up the next morning he did so alone. Ichigo was no where in sight. "Where did he go?" He got up and put on his clothes. When he had gotten his clothes on, he crashed down on the bed again and stared up at the ceiling. He had just closed his eyes when the door opened and Ichigo walked in.
"Are you still sleeping? It's 10:30 am."
"You could've woken me up."
"I tried. It was like trying to wake up the dead."
"Very funny."
"No, seriously. It was impossible, so I figured I'd just let you sleep."
"When did you wake up?"
Ichigo walked to his desk and picked up his wallet.
"Around 7:30."
"7:30! Are you insane? It's a weekend!"
"I have to go to town for a while. If you're hungry, just ask Yuzu. She'll give you something to eat."
Renji got up beside Ichigo.
"Yeah. I'm hungry."
He kissed Ichigo with a smile and let his lips linger a while before he moved past Ichigo and made his way downstairs to get some breakfast.


Later that evening when Ichigo got home, after yet another unsuccessful day at the shops, he was truly in agony. Christmas was only coming closer, no matter how much he wished that it wouldn't. He cursed and threw his shoes away among the others.
"Dinner Oni-san," called Yuzu.
Ichigo moved to the dining area and found that everyone was already seated, save him.
"You're late," said his father, but there was no attempt of trying to knock Ichigo down on the floor.
Confused Ichigo sat down opposite Renji, which was the only seat left. Everyone waited quietly for Ichigo to sit down. He felt like he was about to get a cross-examine. In fact, the whole dinner was stiff and awkward. No one spoke and when they did it was in short sentences.
When it was over, Ichigo silently sighed and tried to sneak away. But Rukia stopped him.
"Come. There's something we need to tell you."
Ichigo didn't like the sound of that. He followed her hesitatingly, as did Renji.
"Don't drag your feet like that. Come on now."
Rukia dragged them both into the living room and pushed them down on the couch. Renji leaned in close to Ichigo.
"Have you any idea what this is about?"
Ichigo shook his head.
"I thought you were in on this, Renji."
"No. Rukia has been acting weird all day. Please don't leave me alone with her if she's ever like that again."
"Like what?"
Renji opened his mouth to answer but Rukia interrupted their conversation.
"I know... I mean, we know," Rukia said and made a motion toward Ichigo's family. "... that it's still some days left to Christmas."
Ichigo's father got up and picked out an envelope. He gave it to Rukia and she smiled like she had just won the lottery.
"But we have to give you your present now, since you're leaving tomorrow."
Her smile grew even wider, even though it seemed as if it couldn't. Renji and Ichigo just looked at each other, confused.
"Leaving? What are you talking about? We're not going..."
"Here."
Rukia handed Ichigo the envelope. He opened it and picked out a couple of plane tickets.
"What the...? Plane tickets? To Switzerland?"
Rukia seemed to almost burst with joy. She smiled and nodded.
"Yes! You'll be taking mountain tours, skiing, snowball fighting and whatever more you can figure out high up there in the mountains. There's a cottage up there in the mountains waiting for you."
Ichigo and Renji looked at her, a little surprised about their Christmas present, but more surprised of the joy Rukia seemed to be feeling. So far she was the one who seemed to be the happiest of them all.
"Why are you so happy about this, Rukia? What have you got up you're sleeve?"
"Nothing," she said a little offended. "I'm just happy for the two of you. And I'm trying to cover up that I'm so jealous of you two, going away for such a fun trip."
She smiled and then she hugged them both. Ichigo was still quite shocked and just stared at Rukia and then his family. Had they all gone mad? His father was grinning and his sisters smiled. Yuzu with warmth and Karin just to be polite. Then he turned to look at Renji, who just kept staring at Rukia.
Suddenly Rukia pulled them both up from the couch.
"What are you still doing down here? You should be packing. Go on now!"
Renji snapped back into reality.
"Pack? What? It's not like I have a whole wardrobe here."
"Then borrow some clothes from Ichigo."
She pushed them toward the door.
"But he's like two sizes smaller," Renji hissed.
"Then skip the clothes. It's not like you'll be using them anyway."
Both Renji and Ichigo blushed violently.
"Rukia!"
Ichigo smacked Rukia lightly on her head.
"Ow! What was that for?"
"You know pretty damn well what that was for."
"You're mean, Ichigo."
"No, it's you who are impudent."
Ichigo stormed out of the room and dragged Renji with him.
"Remember to pack warm clothes," his father yelled after them.


"So it's going to be just the two of us?"
Renji still looked very confused. Ichigo smiled and put his arms around Renji.
"Yeah, it seems that way."
Ichigo kissed Renji hungrily.
"I can hardly wait," he added and kissed Renji again.
This time Renji answered it fully. With his hands on Ichigo's back he pulled him closer. Ichigo moaned and moved his hands under Renji's t-shirt.
"You won't get much packing done like that."
Renji and Ichigo pulled apart quickly and turned toward the door.
"Rukia! What the hell...? Learn how to knock, woman!"
Rukia smiled at the blushing lovers.
"And spoil all the fun? Have you any idea how funny you two look when you're all red and confused?"
"You impudent little girl," Renji stormed. "I swear I'll throw you through the window next time."
Rukia laughed. Renji's face darkened and he probably would have thrown her out of the window, if Ichigo hadn't been there to hold him back. But Ichigo had to fight with all his strength to hold the angered shinigami away from Rukia.
"Renji! Calm down."
"But she's clearly asking for it."
Ichigo sighed. "In a way he's right, but this isn't a good solution."
"You'll have to get up early tomorrow, so you should finish your packing today."
"Thank you, Rukia. If that was all, please leave."
"There was one more thing."
She held out her hands and in them was a Christmas present.
"My Christmas present to the two of you. Don't forget to pack it down."
"I thought you were in on the tickets."
"No. Your dad just let me announce them."
"And this is...?"
"Yes. Don't you dare open it before Christmas day. I hope you'll enjoy them!"
With those words she put the present in Ichigo's hands and left the room.
"It's going to be so nice to be out there alone. No interruptions."
Renji embraced Ichigo again and kissed him. Soon it was almost as Rukia never entered. The only thing that really witnessed about the resent interruption, was the strange Christmas present Ichigo was still holding in one hand. Ichigo parted a little from Renji and looked in wonder at the present. It was the size of a book, but it didn't weigh like one. It was much lighter.
"What was she talking about? Hope you'll enjoy them!"
"You don't think...?"
Several things went through their heads about what it could possibly be. And all of them were quite daring. Both of the boys blushed and Ichigo quickly put away the present on the desk.
"Let's get back to packing."
Renji nodded and they left the present laying on the desk.


They put down their bags as quickly as they possibly could as soon as they'd entered the cottage. Ichigo sighed loudly.
"Finally! I thought we'd never get here. If one more person would have asked to help me, I swear I could have killed them."
Renji smiled and agreed. The day had been a living hell and it was finally coming to an end. At first they had almost missed their flight. Then, when the plane made an intermediate landing in Moscow, out of all places on earth, it had to be delayed for three hour, because of a snowstorm. Well up in the air again, Renji got airsick and spent most of the flight in the lavatory.
When they finally got to the ground again, Renji was as pale as a ghost. Their next problem came at the checking out of the bags. Somehow there had been a little mix-up and they had to wait for about an hour. During that time they tried to get a hold of a cab, but that would take them an additional hour, after receiving there bags. When the cab finally arrived they were both relived and they thought that their problems were over. But they had been so wrong. The cab driver didn't seem to know where he was going and took the wrong turn at least four times. And in the end they had to walk the last part, since there was too much snow on the road. It took them about thirty minutes, mainly because of the snowy and windy weather.
So it was no wonder they were relieved that they were finally there. After taking his outdoor clothing of, Renji collapsed on the couch in the living room.
"Man, that was one hellish trip!"
"Yeah. Let's hope it won't be like that when we go home."
Ichigo hung up his coat, and Renji's too since he hadn't bothered to do so. He'd just thrown it on the floor.
"Are you hungry? You didn't exactly eat much of the lunch we had on the plane. Or at least it didn't stay that long."
Renji grunted.
"It's not my fault that they just looked for every damn air pocket there was."
Ichigo laughed.
"I didn't know you were that weak. They weren't really that big. I hardly felt them."
"Shut up! I just don't like flying. It's not natural. If we were suppose to fly, we'd wings. Like the birds."
"Do you always get this grumpy when you're hungry?"
"Shut up!"
Ichigo laughed again and picked out some sandwiches and juice that he had bought at the airport. He tossed some of it to Renji.
"Here. We have to go shopping tomorrow. Wonder how far it is to the nearest convenient store? Or some food market? Or whatever they call it."
"Didn't we pass one on our way here? The one with those hideously cute decorations. Rukia would have loved to see that. Maybe we should take a picture."
"Yeah, you're right. She would have loved it. But I'm with you. Those decorations made my stomach turn."
Ichigo smirked and sat down next to Renji on the couch. Renji, who'd just finished his meal, threw the empty juice pack on the table. Then he put one of his arms round Ichigo's shoulders and smirked.
"Hey! Ever heard of trashcans?"
"It's too far."
"You're lazy."
Ichigo leaned in close, but he did not kiss Renji. He just let his lips linger close to Renji's, teasing him a little. When Renji made the attempt to kiss Ichigo, he pulled away.
"Mean!"
Ichigo smirked, and then got a firm look.
"Pick up the trash."
"What?"
"You heard me."
"Are you serious?"
"Why wouldn't I be?"
Renji grunted, picked up the juice pack and went into the kitchen to throw it away. When he came back he crashed down next to Ichigo with a gloomy face.
"Happy now?"
"Well doesn't it look nicer when it's clean?"
"It was just one juice pack."
"One can often turn into many."
Renji grunted again.
"Neat-freak."
"What?"
Ichigo moved in close once again, but this time he just looked deep into Renji's eyes.
"You heard me," Renji countered.
"You sure are bold today. You know it's cold outside, don't you?"
"And just what are you implying?"
"Nothing. I just said it's cold outside."
Ichigo leaned in and kissed Renji, but was pushed of.
"You... you..."
Renji was literally shaking with anger.
"Just who the hell do you think you are? Everything seems like a fuckin' joke to you. I'm no toy you can just play with and... I... you... get away from me!"
Renji stood up and tried to walk away, but Ichigo had grabbed his arm and was holding him back.
"Renji, calm down."
"Let go of me!"
Renji tried to pull his arm loose, but Ichigo just wouldn't let go.
"Let go of me, I said!"
"Renji!"
Ichigo stood up and pressed Renji close. Renji tried to get loose.
"Renji, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. I never meant that. I love you."
The words removed Renji's anger and he stopped struggling back and just stood there. As he let the words sink in, he started to feel a little ashamed over the burst out.
"Renji, I'm sorry."
"Idiot."
Ichigo backed a little, but only just as much as he needed to look Renji in the eyes.
"I know that I am an idiot. Can you forgive me for that?"
"Ichigo..."
Renji kissed Ichigo.
"I'm sorry Ichigo. I might have overreacted a little. It's just that I'm a little tired. I think I'll hit the sack."
Renji kissed Ichigo once more, than he went to the bedroom. He stopped on the doorway and turned to face Ichigo.
"Aren't you coming?"


When Ichigo woke up the following morning, he sneaked out of bed and into the kitchen. He was just about to open the fridge when he remembered there wasn't anything in it. And that meant no breakfast. He returned to the bedroom and put on his clothes. Renji had stretched out on the bed and most of the cover had slid down. He was laying on his back with the cover around his waist area and he had kicked it of mostly of his legs.
As Ichigo stood there watching, Renji turned in his sleep, so that he came to sleep on the side. Of course this motion made the cover slid down even further, revealing even more of Renji's tattooed body. It was with much willpower that Ichigo managed to exit the room and put on his outdoor clothing.
Once Ichigo got to the little town he spent about an hour finding the store, only too realize that it didn't open until another hour. So he decided to spend that hour looking through the windows and maybe find a present for Renji. Though it was exactly like home. He walked the streets up and down and still nothing. Not a single thing that he could think of giving Renji.
But as he walked back to the food store, he saw it. The perfect present. The little store was closed now, but it didn't really matter, since he couldn't buy the present until the day before Christmas. And it needed some research too. He smiled and for the first time in all of December it seemed like things were going well for him.
He walked back to the food store, which was now open and did the shopping he'd intended to do when he went out this morning.


When Renji woke up, it was because he was freezing. No wonder since he had kicked of the blankets and Ichigo were no where in sight. He got up and put on a pair of pants. Then he went to the bathroom to wash his face, in order to wake up a little. Afterwards he found that it didn't help that much. He walked into the living room and looked through the window. It was snowing again. Renji shuddered, even though it was perfectly warm inside.
"If you're cold, maybe you should put on a sweater!"
Renji jumped sky-high in surprise.
"Hell! I didn't hear you come in. I didn't even sense your spirit force.
He walked into the kitchen, where Ichigo was in full motion of putting away the groceries. He began helping him.
"Why didn't you wake me up?"
"You looked so... peaceful, in lack of other words. I just didn't have the heart to wake you up."
"Since when did you have a heart?"
Ichigo glared at Renji.
"Do you feel like making your own breakfast?"
Renji shook his head.
"Sorry, but I really think that would be a bad idea. I'd probably burn this whole cottage to the ground."
Renji walked up to Ichigo and fully apologized to him by kissing him.
"Renji... I really think you should put on a shirt or something. Or else I think we'll both be without breakfast."
Renji smirked, but did has he had been told.


As the sun set later that evening, they where laying on the floor in front of the open fire. They had packed up with lots of pillows and covers, so it was quite comfortable. Ichigo was laying with his head against Renji's neck and his right arm around Renji's waist. He seemed to have a constant smile on his face the last few days and now it grew even bigger. He placed a soft kiss on Renji's neck.
"Ichigo..."
"What, Renji?"
"Nothing."
Ichigo pushed himself up on his free arm and looked at Renji.
"What's the matter?"
"I said nothing."
"Renji..."
"I'm just a little hungry."
"Then let's make ourselves some dinner."
Ichigo made an attempt to get up, but Renji pulled him back down.
"Don't go."
"Make up your mind!"
Renji kissed Ichigo and pushed him down on the floor again.
"Just stay a little longer."
Ichigo smiled and played with his fingers on Renji's body, following his tattoos.
"Ichigo... that tick..."
Ichigo changed his movement and placed one leg between Renji's legs. Renji moaned and squirmed under Ichigo's craving hands. Ichigo smirked and kissed Renji's neck once again. When Renji moaned a second time, Ichigo moved his lips lower on Renji's body.
"Ichigo..."
Ichigo looked up at Renji.
"You shouldn't ask for more then you can handle."
Ichigo placed one last kiss, and then he got up to make dinner. Renji turned to his side to watch Ichigo put on his clothes and walk into the kitchen.
"I only asked you to stay a little longer."
Ichigo had stopped in the doorway and looked at Renji.
"But just staying is so boring."
Renji blushed.
"Why don't you put on some clothes and come and help me with dinner. I'll teach you how to cook without burning anything down."
Renji smiled and soon he joined Ichigo in the kitchen. Though instead of Ichigo teaching Renji how to cook without burning everything up, Renji taught Ichigo how to ruin the food, by not paying attention.


When the day before Christmas Eve finally arrived it did not do so quickly enough, if you asked Ichigo. Although it had been a wonderful couple of days. Every morning waking up next to Renji and know that even if he did fall asleep again, Renji would still be there when he woke up.
But this morning he could not let himself fall asleep again. He made an attempt to get out of bed, but it was impossible with Renji clutched to his waist.
"Where are you going," Renji asked still half asleep.
"Just to the bathroom," Ichigo answered.
But he really didn't have to, since Renji had already gone back to sleep. He carefully removed Renji's arms and got out of bed. He did go to the bathroom, but he didn't return to the bed after that. Instead he went to make breakfast. After having breakfast, he scribbled down a few rows to Renji on a little piece of paper and then he headed outside.


"I've gone out for a walk. I'll be back later this afternoon. There's some breakfast in the fridge. Sorry about leaving you alone. I love you. Ichigo."
Renji sighed loudly and crashed onto the bed again. It was the day before Christmas Eve and he had been left alone. Renji felt a little irritated on Ichigo for leaving him alone like that. But to lie in bed all day wasn't going to make anything better. He got up, put on some clothes and went into the kitchen to eat his breakfast.
After breakfast he played with the idea of going out for a walk himself. But one look at the weather outside and the thermometer, he quickly decided to stay inside. It was snowing and blowing really hard and it wasn't that warm either. "What the hell made Ichigo want to go out in this weather?"
Renji spent most of the day walking around being bored. At one point he got so bored that he started to clean up a little. He made the bed and then he did the dishes. It wasn't fun, but he preferred it over doing nothing. When he was finished with the dishes, he went into the living room and stared out the window. The snow just kept on falling and falling. It didn't seem to have a limit. "Damn snow!"
Renji crashed down on the couch and sighed. It had been several hour now since Ichigo had gone out. "Where the hell is he? What if...?"
Renji didn't finish his thoughts. Instead he got up and busied himself with putting away the dishes. He was just about finished when he heard someone at the front door. He looked through the doorway and saw Ichigo standing by the front door, all covered in snow.
"You could've at least left the snow outside," Renji said and frowned.
"Yeah, yeah."
Ichigo kicked of his shoes and hung up his coat. Just as he placed it on the hook, he groaned. He massaged his right upper arm, just below the shoulder.
"What happened?"
"Nothing."
Renji walked up to Ichigo, rolled up the sleeve on Ichigo's sweater and found that his arm was completely packed in.
"Nothing doesn't require a bandage."
Ichigo snatched his arm back and then groaned over the pain once more.
"It's nothing."
"Well, nothing seems painful. What happened? Did you get into a fight, or what?"
Ichigo blushed.
"No. I slipped."
Ichigo hurried past Renji, into the kitchen to start dinner. Renji went after him.
"You did what?"
Ichigo tried to ignore him and started picking out ingredients from the fridge. Renji pulled him in his left arm and pushed him up against the wall.
"You slipped?"
Ichigo turned his head away.
"And what? You broke your arm by just slipping on some ice? I thought you could take more than that. You certainly weren't that easy to beat before."
"Shut up! It's not broken, you idiot! I just sprained it a little."
"Ichigo, you're such a clumsy lout."
"Shut up," whispered Ichigo and a faint blush showed itself on Ichigo's cheek.
Renji smiled and put his hand on Ichigo's blushing cheek and caressed it a little with his thumb.
"But you're my clumsy lout."
The blush on Ichigo's cheeks grew and deepened in colour. Renji kissed him and soon all thoughts of dinner were gone. All that was left was their feelings for one another.


When Renji woke up the next morning, he found that Ichigo already was up. He heard the water running in the bathroom, so he assumed Ichigo was taking a shower. "A shower would be nice," Renji smirked and got out of bed. As he moved toward the bathroom, he heard the water get turned of. He opened the bathroom door and found Ichigo standing in the middle of the room, in his bathrobe.
"Good morning, Renji."
"Yeah."
Renji felt a little disappointed that Ichigo was already finished. Ichigo smiled, walked up to Renji and kissed him quick.
"I'll go and make breakfast. The shower is all yours."
He turned to walk away, but Renji grabbed his arm and spun him around. With one hand on Ichigo's neck he kissed him hungrily. With the other hand he untied the knot on Ichigo's bathrobe sash. When he put his hand on Ichigo's chest, Ichigo suddenly and quickly pulled away, and tied up the sash again.
"Sorry Renji. I'm hungry."
He quickly grabbed his bandage and escaped the bathroom, leaving Renji standing there, confused and disappointed.


"Let's go for a walk."
Ichigo looked at Renji, waiting for a reply.
"I mean, look! The sun is shining, there's hardly any wind and it's not really that cold today. Come on, let's go for a walk."
Renji looked at Ichigo and sighed. He really didn't want to go out. If it wasn't above 20 degree it was to cold, if you asked him. But he wanted to make Ichigo happy and it seemed like this was something that Ichigo wanted to do. And it was Christmas Eve after all.
"Okay. Let's do that. But not to long, please."
Ichigo smiled and they both went to put on their outdoor clothing. Once they got outside, Renji noticed that it really wasn't that cold. For a winter morning. And with Ichigo by his side, the walk would be quite durable.
When they had been walking for awhile, Renji remembered something that Rukia had said. He quickly picked up some snow, made a small snowball and threw it right at Ichigo. Ichigo, who had never even seen it coming, just stood there. He didn't even wipe the melting snow of his face. It was like he tried to figure out what had just happened. Then he attacked Renji and wrestled him down on the ground. He took a handful of snow and held over Renji's face. But Renji wasn't about to let him put any snow in his face. He pushed Ichigo's hand with snow into Ichigo's own face, and then he laughed. Ichigo was stunned.
"That you didn't expect!"
This time Ichigo wiped of the snow. Then he joined Renji in his laughter. When the laughter faded away, Ichigo leaned down and kissed Renji. And Renji answered it smiling, not knowing of Ichigo's ulterior motive. Suddenly he felt something cold in his neck and Ichigo quickly got up and ran away, laughing. Renji shrieked and he felt how the snow melted and made its way down his back.
"Ichigo! Come back here, you coward!"
Renji ran after Ichigo, who was laughing his heart out.
"I'll cover you in snow!"
Ichigo laughed even louder.
"You'll have to catch me first."
Renji stopped to catch his breath. A few metres away Ichigo also stopped. Renji smirked and Ichigo knew exactly what he was thinking.
"No, Renji. That's cheating."
Ichigo lost sight of Renji for a while, but he knew exactly where he was. An arm was put around his waist and an other grabbed his right arm.
"Well, I don't like playing by the rules."
Renji pushed Ichigo down in the snow and started covering his face with snow.
"Renji! Stop... please, Renji!"
"Do you surrender?"
Renji increased the amount of snow.
"Renji! It's cold!"
"Surrender!"
"No!"
Ichigo squirmed and tried to push Renji of, but it was difficult with all the snow covering his face. And Renji just kept on throwing more.
"Surrender!"
"No! I... no...I..."
Renji smirked and put a handful of snow down Ichigo's neck.
"Renji! You cruel son of a..."
"Surrender or I'll put another handful of snow down your neck."
"Okay! Okay. I surrender. I surrender."
Renji smiled and wiped of most of the snow in Ichigo's face.
"I won."
"You cheated."
Renji laughed and Ichigo could do nothing but smile. It may have been true that Renji had won by cheating, but in reality Ichigo had let him do that. He had never lost sight of Renji and he could have easily avoided getting caught. But to hear the magenta haired shinigami laugh so warmly was reward enough for losing some dignity. "You've gotten soft, Ichigo."
"Can we go back now? With all this snow you shoved down my neck, I'm freezing like we're at the freakin' North Pole."
"You started it."
"I did not! You threw the first snowball."
Renji thought for a while.
"Okay, so I did. But it was you who put snow down my neck first."
Ichigo smirked and put out his tongue. Renji picked up some snow.
"Do you want some more?"
Ichigo shook his head and then he pulled Renji down and kissed him.
"Let's go back."


In the evening, they sat by the fire. Well Ichigo sat and Renji lied with his head in Ichigo's knees. Ichigo was playing with the magenta shinigami's hair and making small braids.
"What are you doing?"
"Nothing."
Renji felt with his hands in his hair.
"Braids? I'm not a girl."
Ichigo smiled.
"Really! I haven't noticed."
Renji blushed and sat up.
"Ichigo... why do you always have to...?"
"Because I love you."
Ichigo pulled Renji close and kissed him. When they parted, he put one of his hands among the braids he had made in Renji's hair.
"I have to say it fits you. But maybe it would look even better with just one."
"Well... it felt kind of nice when you where making them."
Renji put his head back into Ichigo's knees, and Ichigo continued making small braids.
"Then why did you complain in the first place?"
"I didn't complain!"
"Right."
"I just wanted to know what you where doing."
"And the part with 'you not being a girl'?"
"Just stating a fact."
Ichigo smirked and pulled a little harder in Renji's hair. Renji made a wry face.
"I would appreciate if you would let the hair stay on my head."
"Stop whining all the time."
"I'm not whining!"
"Well it sounds like whining to me."
Renji frowned and crossed his arms. Ichigo started on another braid and soon the little argument seemed blown away. Eventually Renji fell asleep, but Ichigo kept making braids.
Time flew by and soon Ichigo felt how he to was about to fall asleep. He carefully swept his legs away from under Renji's head and placed a pillow there instead. The fire had almost burned out, so he placed a few logs on it, before he went to the kitchen to make dinner. He didn't feel like spending hours in front of the stove, so he decided on just making some sort of salad. He picked out some vegetables and started chopping them up.
When he got to the tomatoes, he felt a pair of arms being wrapped around his waist. He smiled.
"Good morning, sleepy head."
"Why do you always just let me sleep?"
"Because you're quiet then. And I get to work in peace."
Renji kissed him below the ear and let his hands explore Ichigo's body. Ichigo moaned and put down the knife.
"See... this is exactly what I mean."
Renji smirked and spun Ichigo around. He pressed his body against Ichigo's and by doing so, he locked Ichigo in between himself and the kitchen sink.
"Renji... I have to..."
Renji interrupted Ichigo by pressing his lips against Ichigo's. At the same time he unbuttoned Ichigo's shirt. It fell to the ground with almost no sound at all. He moved his hands on Ichigo's chest and when he came to Ichigo's hurt shoulder, he backed away a little.
"Isn't your arm okay yet?"
"I hurt it yesterday."
"Yeah, but you haven't been complaining about it."
"Not everyone complains as much as you do."
"I do not complain that much. And don't change the subject. Why don't we take a look at your arm? It may be perfectly fine."
Renji pulled a little in the bandage. Ichigo squirmed and somehow he managed to escape from Renji's trap.
"There's no need for that."
At first Renji just stood there, surprised that Ichigo had managed to escape. Then he turned to face Ichigo.
"I get the feeling you're hiding something. Is there something about what happened that you haven't told me?"
"No. Why would I hide anything?"
"If you're not hiding anything, then why won't you let me look at your arm?"
"Because it's not necessary."
Ichigo got back to chopping vegetables. Renji felt how irritation started to build up.
"Why do you keep turning away from me?"
He spun Ichigo around again.
"I have to make dinner."
"You are trying to run from this conversation! Why won't you let me take a look at your arm?"
"Because it's not necessary. Now will you let me finish dinner?"
Renji let go of Ichigo's arm and stormed out of the kitchen. Ichigo fought the will to run after him and tell him the truth. But it wasn't the right time yet.


Ichigo turned once more and stared at the empty spot beside him. The bed sure felt empty without Renji in it.
Dinner had been a disaster. His salad had been perfect, but their argument from the kitchen had still been hanging over them and the conversation, which usually was cheerful, had been awkward. The stiff conversation had ended up in another fight, in which Renji had declared that he would be sleeping on the couch. Then he had left the table without finishing his dinner and after that they hadn't said a word to each other.
Ichigo rolled over to his back and stared up in the ceiling. "This wasn't how it was supposed to be." He sighed. He knew that thinking of it wouldn't make anything better, but he just couldn't think of anything else. The urge of running into the living room and beg of forgiveness grew stronger for every minute. But he knew that if he did that, he'd also had to tell Renji about his arm. He sat up. There was no way that he could sleep with all this thoughts in his head. He looked at the clock. 15 minutes left to midnight. Soon it was Christmas day. "Hell, it's only a couple of minutes." He got up and walked to the door. He placed his hand on the handle, but he didn't push it down. "What if he's sleeping?" Ichigo went back to the bed and sat down.
Suddenly he heard the door open and soon he wasn't alone in the room anymore.
"Ichigo? Are you sleeping?"
Ichigo looked straight at Renji, who was standing in the doorway with his pillow and cover in his arms.
"Guess not."
He walked up to the bed, but stopped when he was about one step away. He dropped his pillow and cover on the floor.
"Ichigo... I'm sorry. I don't want to have this stupid fight with you."
Ichigo got up on his feet, pulled Renji close and kissed him.
"Stupid! It's not you who should apologize. It's I who acted like an idiot. I'm the one who should be apologizing. And that I am doing now. I'm really sorry, Renji. I didn't want to have this stupid fight either, but I just couldn't tell you then."
Renji looked at Ichigo, confused.
"What do you mean, 'couldn't tell me then'?"
"Well..."
Ichigo started removing the bandage.
"You see... you better like this, 'cause it hurt like hell. Can't understand how you could cover your whole..."
Ichigo went silent and removed the last of the bandage. Renji's eyes widened.
"You got a tattoo!"
Renji grabbed Ichigo's arm and pulled him close to get a better look at the tattoo.
"Yeah."
"It looks familiar."
"Well it's suppose to be a copy of your tattoo. The one you got on your arm. But it has some changes."
Renji studied the tattoo and found that Ichigo was telling the truth. It was actually very much alike, except for a little part in the middle. Instead of the thick black strip, there were only two thin lines and something written in between them.
"Read it."
Renji looked even closer.
"A... Abarai Renji! You tattooed my..."
"Merry Christmas, Renji."
Ichigo kissed Renji, who was still in shock over the strange Christmas present.
"I... but why...? And... did you...? I feel so... I mean... and then we had that stupid..."
Renji wasn't even able to finish a single sentence.
"I never thought you would make such a fuss over it," Ichigo said and looked Renji in the eyes.
"But... a tattoo! You know, they are kind of permanent."
"Well, I was hoping that this..." said Ichigo and kissed Renji. "... also was kind of permanent."
Renji blushed and suddenly remember that he too had a Christmas present to give away. He broke apart from Ichigo and went to look among his luggage. He returned with a small present, wrapped in red paper and tied up with a green string.
"Merry Christmas, Ichigo."
Ichigo received the present and carefully removed the string and paper. Then there was this small box, which he opened and inside there was a thin silver chain. He lifted the chain up and found that there was a small silver coin with a strawberry engraved on one side. Ichigo looked up at Renji, who smirked back at him. He returned his focus to the coin and flipped it. On the other side there was a date.
"What is...?"
"The date?"
"Yeah."
"Think. If you remember how to do that."
"It's... it's that day. When we had the study group. When we..."
Ichigo smirked in remembrance of that day.
"Merry Christmas, Ichigo."
Ichigo smiled and kissed Renji. Then Renji pushed him away, but just as far as he needed to talk.
"Ichigo... I'm curios about Rukia's present."
Ichigo looked at him and then he remembered. He went to get that present Rukia had given them the day before they left home.
"Here. You open it. I don't know if I dare."
"Coward."
Renji received the present. Carefully and slowly he removed the paper.
"I don't think it's a bomb, Renji."
"You never know with that girl."
The paper was removed, but that didn't really help much, since there was just a plain brown box. Renji opened the box and then a smile grew on his face. He started laughing.
"What?"
"She surely did think mostly of you when she bought this. And it's exactly the kind of thing she would buy. She got some sick humour."
Renji picked up something from the box. When Ichigo saw what it was he blushed.
"Chocolate strawberries?"
Renji took a bite of the sweet.
"It's quite good. Here, taste."
Renji held the other half of the sweet in front of Ichigo's mouth. Ichigo took the strawberry and most of Renji's fingers, into his mouth.
"Hey! You were supposed to eat the strawberry, not me."
Renji tried to pull his fingers back, but Ichigo had them in an iron grip. Ichigo pushed him up against the wall and first then he let go of Renji's fingers. He went straight to Renji's lips and kissed Renji hungrily. Renji felt how his legs were giving up and he would have fallen to the floor, if not Ichigo had been there to hold him up. But then again, Ichigo was the reason his legs felt weak. Ichigo pulled away.
"You were right. They were tasty."
Ichigo smirked and kissed Renji again. Then he kissed Renji on the neck and made sure to leave a visible mark.
"Ichigo... I don't think my legs will... hold out much longer."
Ichigo walked backwards and pulled the shaky lover along. They collapsed on the bed together. The moon shone softly on the intertwined lovers through the window, but that wasn't anything that they noticed.


End of chapter 6
Sign up to rate and review this story