Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > The Mixed Tape

Lil Bug

by LaBellaMuerte 0 reviews

The beginning...

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2008-07-31 - Updated: 2008-10-11 - 912 words

0Unrated
I woke up to the sound of my cell phone singing Alicia Keys’ “Like You’ll Never See Me Again”. I fumbled for the phone, my hand hitting it, making it fall to the floor.

How many really know what love is?
Some never will…


My phone sang to me.

Then it hit me.

Ahh crap! I was late for work, again. My boss was likely to chew my butt out for being late for the second time this week. I struggled out of my bed and tried to run to the shower but I stumbled (hard) over something. The thing moaned with impact.

Crap!”

I had no time to think about what, or who, could have been on the floor of my bed room. I had to get ready for work at the local Books-a-Million in Nashville. I smelled myself. Eww. Not too bad but a quick shower wouldn’t hurt right? I opened the door to my bed room and dashed down the hall to the bathroom. I grabbed the knob but it wouldn’t budge. I tried again. And again. And again. Then when it wouldn’t open, I let out a scream.

“Crap monkeys!!!”

Then, as if by magic, the door gave way. I made the mental note to tell the old landlord to fix the knob, again. I had no time to just stand in the shower and enjoy the water. No, I had time to wash my matted hair and body, simultaneously. Once dried, I sprinted back to my room to find my uniform. My black polo shirt was nicely hung in place on my closet door and my khakis were folded over the ironing board next to my dresser. I quickly dressed and made my way into the kitchen for a quick bite. Then I noticed another lump, two of them actually, one on the couch and the other on the floor. Great. What was I? A homeless shelter or something. I finally gathered my purse and a doughnut from the fridge and headed out the door.

“Taylor,” I sighed once in my old VW bus, old as in 1974. I guess that made it “vintage” right?

I swear I reached the store in record time. My house, which I shared with my close cousin, Taylor (when he was home at least), laid at the edge of Nashville, boarding our hometown of Franklin, Tennessee, about a twenty minute drive. Swear to god, I was only in the bus for about five minutes. Anyways, I burst in the door at a quarter to eight. I was five minutes early. Funny how stuff like that works out huh?

“Margaret!” Great my boss.

I pointed at the big clock situated just above the main entrance of the store.

“I am five,” I held up five fingers, “whole minutes early. I rushed all the way here thinking I’d be late. I still need caffeination. And how many times do I have to tell you that it’s Maggie, Mag, Mags…anything but Margaret.”

My boss stood there. I never knew why he was such an uptight person. Then it hit me, he was in his early thirties and all he had to show for it was his job as store manager at Books-a-Million…dang that must suck.

“Fine. Maggie?” He re-approached me.

I smiled sweetly, the same smile that got my smart-ass a job here in the first place, and asked, “yes?”

“I wanted to tell you that I will not be in the store today. I have a doctor’s appointment. Do you think you can take care of the store while I’m gone?”

I was shocked that my boss would ask me to do suck a task. I mean, I’m just a clerk. And he seriously didn’t like me.

I calmly pointed toward the connecting Starbucks.

“I need coffee first. I’ll think about it.”

As I was walking toward the scent of coffee, my cell phone began ringing in my purse. I took it out and flipped it open.

“Hello.”

I recognized the voice immediately.

“Taylor!” My cousin was home after all.

“Hey Mag! Sorry if we all bothered you this morning but we made it back late last night.” I heard him yawn on the other end.

“You know it’s no problem. It’s your house too,” I reassured him as I ordered my coffee.

“Do you mind if I come in during your lunch break. I want to take you out Lil Bug.”

Gosh, I’ve missed Taylor so much and the way he would call me Little Bug. He gave me the odd nickname when we were kids. He’s three years older than me but I always wanted to follow him around with his friends. It got so bad that he gave me the name Bug and since I’ve always been so short, (I’m 5’2” at the age of seventeen) he added the Lil in front of the Bug.

“Yeah Tay. It’s cool. But hey, I’ve got to go. My shift starts in a bit.”

Yay my Tay was coming!

“Okay Lil Bug. I’ll see you then. ‘Bye.”

I said my ‘bye then hung up the phone. I guess I would take that position as manager today. What could it hurt? So as I finished my cup of java, I went to my boss, told him my decision and got to my manager-like duties.
Sign up to rate and review this story