Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Over a Lifetime

I'm 22 for a Moment...

by OBluver3 0 reviews

I'm 22 for a moment She feels better than ever And we're on fire making our way back from mars

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Published: 2008-08-06 - Updated: 2008-08-10 - 1595 words

1Insightful
A/N- Hi, this is my second chapter of this story. And I'm new to the site so I'm still not really sure how this whole rating system works, but I always like a high rating so. Rate and Review! Love you guys

I'm 22 for a moment
She feels better than ever
And we're on fire
Making our way back from Mars

My life has never been about straight lines. Up until I was eleven I dreamed of a life filled with twists and turns around every corner. I guess I’m a prime example of the phrase ‘Be Careful What You Wish For’. Now everyday when I wake up I pray to every available higher source that my life could be about straight lines again; for her sake at least.
But a life of straight lines never came for me and I doubt it ever will. Some people just have to suffer I guess, so that the rest of the world can live with their straight lines wishing that they were a little loopier. I guess out of those who suffer I got the roller coaster of all lines.
It was a late evening in June when I laid my eyes upon her. It was lush and beautiful; the perfect monsters haven. By then I had become a monster, but the trick is I only hurt myself and my only love.
She waited for me patiently as I had asked. I wondered for a second if she had been there long but soon dismissed the thought because I knew she had. Hermione Granger came early to everything. She was standing in the wind, and in the moonlight I almost swore an invisible halo was starting to form around her head.
“Harry!” Her voice seemed excited as she ran towards me and as we engaged in a tight semi-awkward hug. We didn’t touch a lot. It was hard for me to touch people at all really. All the people I touched, and who were willing to touch me, died. I refused to see that happen to Hermione. I know it hurts her a little inside when I don’t seem eager about simple things like holding her hand. She thinks it’s her, but if only she knew.
She immediately became bristled and as we walked along the beaten path that led along the lake I knew she was not happy with me.
“Why did you bring me here Harry?” She asked. I started to notice that her questions were never long and drawn out. They were small and quaint and got everything she needed to ask out without a paragraph. She was a straight line. She was too good for me. And the most tragic part is that I knew it.
“I” I paused and looked around “Look can you just wait a few more minutes we’re almost there.”
“I’m tired of waiting Harry.” And she sounded like she was tired. Her voiced yearned for the explanation that she wanted so badly. But I wasn’t going to give it to her just yet. I continued to walk along until I realized she was no longer by my side. I turned around to find her in the exact spot we had stood to talk. I slowly walked back hoping to bait her into the fight I knew she wanted.
“Seriously Harry will it make any difference at all if we go a few more feet around the bend?” She asked tear filling up in her eyes. I hid my surprise of her having asked a long question. I laughed a little and she stared at me with baited eyes full of sorrow. “I mean you’ll take me out and show me a beautiful view of the lake and then apologize for being an ass. Can’t we for go in all and just do it here?”
“Do you seriously not recognize this place?” I asked even though I already knew the answer. She shook her head no and put her arms over her chest like she always does when she’s frustrated. “I guess that could be expected. It was daytime last time we were here.” She came to a little and looked at me with more surprised eyes than angry.
“Are you actually saying that I’ve been here before?” I nodded and started off down the path again. After a moment of silence I heard the rustle of movement on the path directly behind me and I knew it was her.
“Was I with you when I came then?” She asked coming directly beside me now. I smiled a little at how direct her question was.
“Yes, and Ron to; I can’t believe you don’t remember.” That frustrated her beyond belief. I could almost hear her brain cogs turning as she looked around her trying to recognize something.
“This wasn’t where we went camping that one time was it? Because Harry you know I got a really bad poison ivy and I don’t want to relive…” She quieted at my laughter and gave me a dirty look. I stopped immediately. I loved the woman, but you don’t mess with her when she is cranky and the focus is on you.
“No, that place was close to The Burrow.” I paused for a minute when she looked horror stricken at the thought of getting another bad spout of poison ivy. “And yesterday I came here and did repellent spells on all the poison ivy plants so they would be rendered harmless.” She let out a sigh of relief and seemed to forgive me a little after that.
“Harry I know you want this to be a surprise and everything, but my feet are killing me and I don’t think that I can…”
“We’re here.” I said plainly stopping suddenly making her stumble a little at the abruptness of the whole thing. I stared up at a dark cave. It was an ordinary cave with it’s millions of rocks and scary atmosphere, but to me it had one of the best memories of my life in it’s dark secretive walls. I looked at Hermione and was half joy and half disappointed that she didn’t remember it.
“This sure isn’t a romantic look over the lake.” She laughed at herself which gave me permission to laugh with her. I cautiously took her hand in mine and started leading her into the cave.
Most women would have been terrified if you tried to lead them into a dark cave at night, but Hermione wasn’t one of those women. She had seen too much in her life, and she knew how to defend herself. Sometimes I thanked God for the fact, but most of the time I scorned him for it. Hermione didn’t deserve half the stuff she saw.
It wasn’t a far walk to the part of the cave I was looking for. We reached the end of the path as the whole of the cave spread out in water. Moonlight shining in from the slight holes in the ceiling made the small lake glisten and glimmer like diamonds. Hermione finally looked up at me in recognition.
“This is the spot where…” She trailed off as she took in the full beauty of the lake. But I couldn’t take my eyes off of her beauty.
“Yeah, this is the spot where I first took you into my arms, and we had our first dance.” She looked up at me and smiled.
“I was standing here!” She exclaimed throwing her arms up in celebration next to the large stalagmite she had stood by almost three years ago.
“And I here.” I said moving over to the waters edge. “And Ron was sleeping farther back in the cave because we complained about his snoring.” She giggled in recollection. My heart began to beat as I remember what came next.
“And we were asking each other random questions.” She said walking slowly towards me now. “And you asked me what my favorite muggle song was.”
“And instead of telling me you sang it to me.” She hummed the tune under her breath as I continued with the tale. “I took you in my arms the minute I heard your voice, and if I remember correctly you did not protest.” She was in my arms now. She stopped humming and a sweet smile came across her lips.
“I don’t think you’re remembering correctly Mr. Potter. I remember putting up quite a bit of trouble saying that you were a terrible dancer, and not even a superb a dancer as I could improve your skills in the slightest.” I dipped her low and when she was brought back up we were closer than before our faces almost touching.
“You’re right.” I whispered in a soft tone of voice “You’re always right.”
“You’re touching me.” She stated almost in awe. “And you’re not afraid of me.” I frowned. Was that what she thought? Did she think it was her I was afraid of?
“I love you Hermione.” I whispered slowly in her ear. She turned her face to where it was directly in front of mine.
“That’ll do.”
“Marry me?” My heart leapt out of my chest and was now spewing out on the floor somewhere. She looked at me for a moment before resting her head on my shoulder.
“Now that I’ll do” acceptable
Sign up to rate and review this story