Categories > Anime/Manga > Death Note > Shinigami: Death of the Old World

Snap Decision

by crazyeightpianogal 0 reviews

Nine years later, after the events in the Death Note oneshot, Ryuk has an idea...that may be potentially dangerous.

Category: Death Note - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Horror - Characters: Rem - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2008-08-11 - Updated: 2008-08-14 - 1315 words

0Unrated
“And that’s about it,” said Zellogi. “She was just…dead.”
“Creepy…” said Sidoh, shuddering.
“Not really,” said Ryuk. “I met that shinigami while I was in the human world. Her name was Rem. I told you about her when you went to the human world to get your notebook, remember, Sidoh?”
“Uh, no…”
“Hmm, I thought you might’ve, but I guess not… well, she was as soft and spongy as it gets. She actually developed feelings for her human, and she killed the two humans Zellogi saw so her human’s lifespan would be extended. Apparently, if a shinigami kills a human to extend the lifespan of a human it likes, the shinigami dies.”
Gukku and Deridovely burst into hysterical laughter. “Oh, man! A shinigami dying to save a human? No way!”
“And that’s not all…she knew she would die, because she’d already seen some shinigami called Gelus die to save the same human…and she did it anyway.”
Gukku and Deridovely laughed even harder. “Shut up! Is that seriously how to kill a shinigami? She seriously died on purpose, for a human?”
“I know, at first I thought, “A shinigami dying to save a human? That’s like a human dying to save a cheeseburger.” But I gotta admit, that analogy’s not perfect, because my human was definitely smarter than a cheeseburger, and Rem’s human was way cuter than a cheeseburger. I can almost relate to why she wouldn’t want her human to die…some humans have a lot of personality, and it’s possible to get attached… I can’t imagine dying for one, though.”
“What’s a cheeseburger?” asked Gukku.
“Aww, where you sad when your human died, Ryukie?” Deridovely snickered.
“Nah, he was finished anyway, so it didn’t really make a difference if he was alive or dead. That’s why I killed him and came back here. But really, Zellogi’s story just adds to my point. The king’s been acting really weird lately.”
“Yeah, I know,” said Zellogi. “For as long as I can remember, he’s been telling us to take good care of our death notes, because they’re too precious for him to just give away all the time…but now he’s trading them for apples? What’s up with that?”
“And that time I lost my notebook!” said Sidoh. “The old man used to get really sore at you if you lost your notebook, but at least he’d kind of give you some prompting, to help you track it down… he’s always said that he looks out for us, that he doesn’t want any of us to die unnecessarily… but when I went to tell him about my notebook, he didn’t really seem to care. He just told me to go ask Armo…Alamo…uh, Justin the Jewel Skeleton, because he’d probably know more about it. Nothing against Justin; I mean, he knows lots of stuff, but him knowing more about death notes than the King? Come on. The old man taught us all how to use death notes in the first place.”
“You wanna know the weirdest thing?” said Zellogi. “Since the old man’s been giving out death notes in exchange for apples, there’s been a ton more shinigami going down to the human world, and Calikarcha was one of them…”
“Huh? Calikarcha? I didn’t know he wanted to go to the human world,” said Ryuk.
“Well, I think he only went because one of his buddies…I think Vechello was his name…anyway, he’d already gone, and Calikarcha was bored, so he got himself a second note and gave it to some human. But while he was explaining why the human couldn’t see its own lifespan with the shinigami eyes, the human asked what its lifespan was, and Calikarcha told it! He had no idea it was against the rules! I asked Justin, and he said that should have earned him a level one, whether he knew the rule or not!”
Sidoh gave an involuntary gasp of horror.
“When Calikarcha found out, he killed his human right away…not like that would help, though. He’s been freaking out, waiting for the king to summon him and have him killed…but the old man hasn’t done a thing. He hasn’t said a word about it.”
All five shinigami fell silent for a few minutes. Finally, Gukku spoke up.
“Trading apples for death notes is one thing, but ignoring a shinigami who told a human its lifespan? Something is seriously wrong there.”
“Yeah,” said Ryuk, thinking hard. Suddenly, a mischievous grin spread over his face.
“Hey, Zellogi,” he said. “Remember how you said you saw things on the king’s tower when the holes turned themselves off?”
“Yeah…”
“But he didn’t do anything about it, even though it’s against the rules?”
“No, like I said, he just hung there.”
Ryuk grinned even wider. “Wanna go check it out, then?”
The other shinigami looked at him as though he had suddenly sprouted paisley umbrellas instead of wings.
“Is it just me, or do shinigami who visit the human world suddenly turn suicidal?” said Deridovely.
“Are you crazy, Ryuk?” Sidoh gasped. “The king would kill you!”
“He didn’t kill the two shinigami who were on the tower earlier.”
“I never said they were shinigami,” said Zellogi. “I couldn’t tell what they were. They were seriously high up.”
“What else would be flying around in the shinigami realm?” Ryuk reasoned. “Come on, guys, I’ve been bored stupid ever since I got back. The old man didn’t punish the guy on the tower. He didn’t say anything to me about stealing Sidoh’s notebook. And he hasn’t done anything to Calikarcha, even though he should have killed him a while ago. Lately, the old man’s track record hasn’t been so great, don’t you think? Why not do something exciting while we can get away with it? Haven’t you ever wondered what he’s trying to hide from us up there?”
“But I heard screaming coming from the tower,” said Zellogi. “You can’t tell me that sounds like nothing to worry about.”
“You hear screaming all the time when you kill humans, Zellogi. It was probably just the wind, and your imagination was playing tricks on you. Or some human scream coming from one of the holes a ways off, that sounded different because it was the only one turned on.”
Zellogi didn’t look convinced.
Ryuk sighed. “Look, if a shinigami dies, it’s either because their lifespan runs out, or they save a human they like, or they’re killed by the king. Your lifespan is probably fine, I doubt you’ll find any humans in the tower, and you said yourself that the old man did nothing. What’s there to worry about?”
“Well, when you put it that way…” said Zellogi. Slowly, his look of apprehension turned into one of excitement. “What the hell. I’m bored, too, and it’s probably going to take a while before I can give a human a death note. I’ll go.”
“Gukku? Deridovely?”
“Your hide, not mine, Ryuk,” said Gukku. “You just tell me if you find anything interesting.”
“Yeah, the tower’s too far off anyway,” Deridovely agreed.
“All right then. Come on, Sidoh,” Ryuk said as he took a few steps in the direction of the king’s tower and unfurled his wings.
“Uh…I don’t…” said Sidoh.
“Come, on Sidoh. Don’t be a chicken,” Zellogi said, pushing him forward toward Ryuk.
“No, I don’t think…really…hey, wait!” Sidoh protested as Ryuk and Zellogi both grabbed him and took off for the king’s tower.
Sign up to rate and review this story