Categories > Original > Sci-Fi

Sara Jane and the Pretty Flower

by sparky47 0 reviews

A cat saves the world.

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2008-08-14 - Updated: 2008-08-14 - 1154 words - Complete

0Unrated
Sara Jane and the Pretty Flower


Sara Jane was a rather large but pretty cat. She was also very vocal. She was probably part Norwegian Forest cat- grey and white and really furry. Sara Jane was getting up in years and was becoming rather crotchety. She depended on Daddy and Mama to take care of all her needs- a good arrangement for all involved at least according to Sara Jane. She had a younger sister, a very pesky black cat named Samantha. Samantha always wanted to play. How could a cat be so active? It was not natural! And she always wanted Daddy’s and Mama’s attention! For shame! Sara Jane wished they could find a nice new home for Samantha, so she could get all the attention from Daddy and Mama.

Sara Jane was particularly knowledgeable about one thing- plants! Plants were alive and they were very dangerous and very scary. A potted plant or a vase of flowers had to be dealt with very promptly. You always had to be on the lookout for mad plant attacks and Sara Jane always was. She usually set off her little siren noise to alert Daddy and Mama first. If all else failed, a sneak attack from behind would follow. Mama and Daddy and even Samantha never really understood.

Sara Jane had a rather extensive vocabulary. When she was feeling really mellow, she would go “oomph”- quite a unique noise for a kitty to make. When Samantha would play with her tail, she would make a low growling noise. When she missed Daddy, she would make a screaming noise. But when she was scared or sick she sounded like a little siren.

On Jupiter’s moon, Io, there was life – lovely flowers, highly resilient and quite carnivorous. One particularly lovely purple flower developed from spores that could survive almost indefinitely in space. Somehow these spores reached our lovely little planet. Did the aliens in stasis at Roswell Area 51 pick them up and bring them here? No one knows.

Mama and Daddy had a little party. Sara Jane liked parties. People fed her from their plates and when no one is looking she snatches chips from the table. But someone brought an awful plant! It was huge and it had large purple flowers. Sara Jane started her siren noises but Mama and Daddy just told her be quiet and chased her away from the plant. Sara Jane did not like that plant- not one little bit. Even Samantha was scared of this plant.

Several days passed without incident. Then, Daddy and Mama got out the bags. This was never a good sign. It meant that they would be gone for several days. That silly Samantha like the bags, she would jump into them and purr. Then Daddy and Mama would tell her how cute she was and asked her if she wanted to come along. They never took her, much to Sara Jane’s dismay.

This time, there were more bags than usual. Mama and Daddy would be gone for some time. Mama commented on how very large the plant was getting in such a short time. Sara Jane was getting very concerned. But, Mama and Daddy told Sara Jane and Samantha to be good girls for Amanda and Scott who would be looking after them. They left the Blackberry at home for Amanda and Scott to contact them in case of an emergency.

Days passed and the plant became enormous. There was even a purple flower that was as large as Sara Jane. One day, when Amanda came by to look in on the girls, she went over to water the plant and it grabbed with its tendrils and – slurp- Amanda was gone.

Sara Jane was frantic. She was making her siren noises, letting the whole apartment building know what happened, but nobody came. Sara Jane felt really bad, she really liked Amanda.

The next day, Peapod came with supplies and a little basket ordered from the Blackberry by the plant. The neighbors next door were so surprised to find a pretty black cat in a little basket by their door. But they took her in because she was so cute.

When Scott came, he wondered why the litter box was such a mess. Didn’t Amanda come by? And where was Samantha? He looked everywhere for her and still could not find her. Sara Jane was there though, and she was making such a racket! He gave her a few pets and then took care of her food and litter box. He noticed that there was a fresh supply litter and more food in Peapod bags sitting in the kitchen and then unpacked them. He then went to water the plant. He stopped. He could not believe how large the plant had become. The central flower was larger than a beach umbrella. He left a message on Mama and Daddy’s cell phone. He was really concerned.

That night the large purple flower grew even larger. Only Sara Jane knew that it had slurped up the Peapod man earlier that day. She tried to warn him with her siren noises, but he paid no attention.

Sara Jane had enough now. She knew that plant was evil. She wished Mama and Daddy were home now, she missed them. They would know what to do with the plant. She even missed her pesky little sister Samantha, who now lived next door. Right then, she decided. She would take things into her own paws! She leapt at the largest flower, took it by surprise and chomped off the stem it was on. The plant instantly wilted and died.

The next morning, when the neighbors went to do their laundry, Samantha ran out crying outside Mama and Daddy’s apartment. Scott found her there and let her into the apartment. He saw the wilted plant, got several garbage bags and tossed it away.

Daddy and Mama came home that night. They were concerned about the Blackberry message that they had received, but it takes awhile to get home from Egypt. They were happy to see that Sara Jane and Samantha were alright. They were worried. They wondered what happened to the plant. Later on, when they talked to Scott, they found out it mysteriously died.

Whenever they called Amanda’s cell phone, they could not reach her. She had mysteriously vanished. Denise, a friend, took in Amanda’s cat Emma. What happened to Amanda? They did not know. But, Sara Jane and Samantha know and they still try to tell Daddy and Mama.

The trash men came and took away the plant. They saw a pretty little purple flower sticking out of a trash bag. One of the men decided to take it home to his wife.

And so, it begins again! Let us hope the trash collector has a brave little kitty like Sara Jane.



Sign up to rate and review this story