Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Untitled Story - Year 1

Meeting with Dumbledore

by matt311 0 reviews

Tis chapter nine. See chapter one for summary.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-08-21 - Updated: 2008-08-22 - 1214 words

1Funny
Chapter 9 - Meeting with Dumbledore

Harry and Hermione made their way to the stone gargoyle. After giving the password, and riding the staircase up, they knocked on the door, and were told to enter. Dumbledore looked up from his work when Harry and Hermione entered.

"Harry, I expected you'd come alone, but this should not be an issue." said Dumbledore when he saw that Hermione had come with Harry.

"I figured that this might be about my ability to use magic without a wand, since I haven't done anything wrong to be disciplined for. I thought that Hermione may be helpful, since she seemed to pick up wandless magic fairly fast on the train."

At this, Dumbledore's eyebrows rose. This was unexpected.

"Indeed? Please, take a seat. Lemon Drop?"

After receiving a no from both visitors, he sat back and started asking Harry about his use of magic.

"So, Harry, Professor McGonagall tells me you can Apparate."

"Yes, I've been able to since I was about eight. Quite useful, though I hear you can't do it at Hogwarts. Mind if I try?"

"No, by all means, go ahead." Said Dumbledore, since the worst that would happen is nothing. To his and Hermione's shock, Harry disappeared with a soft pop, reappearing with another pop on the other side of the room.

"Interesting." stated Harry, with a puzzled look on his face.

"Yes. I'm not sure what you are doing, but it is not Apparating. If you had breached the anti-apparition wards, they would have alerted me." said Dumbledore.

Hermione was simply speechless. Dumbledore suddenly looked like the proverbial light bulb had come on.

"I think I may know what you are doing. Toppy!" said Dumbledore, and a small creature with large eyes and pointed ears appeared. It seemed to be wearing a poncho with the Hogwarts crest on it.

"The Headmaster calls Toppy sir?" said the creature.

"Yes. Could you take me to the other side of this office by popping me?"

"Yes, sir!" said the elf, who grabbed Dumbledore's leg and they disappeared with a pop and reappeared on the other side of the room.

"Thank you Toppy. That will be all." said Dumbledore, and Toppy returned to wherever. "Now, Harry, would you mind doing whatever it is you do and getting me back to my desk?"

"Not at all," Said Harry, looking even more puzzled.

When they appeared at Dumbledore's desk, Dumbledore looked perplexed.

"Well, you don't elf-pop, Harry, that is certain. I have no idea what you are doing. Anyway, I also hear you can do other things with your magic?"

"Yes, sir. Quite a number of things, actually. Let's see here..."

Harry pulled out a number of shrunken items from his pocket, and, finding what looked like a fuzzy blue ball bearing, stuffed everything else back into his pocket. He held the ball in his hand, and enlarged it to its original size. The now normal sized ball of yarn turned green, then black, then yellow. Harry then vanished it, and made it reappear in his other hand. Letting go, he then unrolled some of the yarn, and lit the end on fire, put it out, and re-wound the string, all while levitating it in front of him. Shrinking it again, he put it away in his pocket.

"I can do more, but we need to be outside to do it. Mind if I take us to the entrance hall and we go out onto the grounds?"

"Certainly, go ahead." Said Dumbledore, wondering what else Harry could do.

Harry took Dumbledore's and Hermione's arms and popped them to the entrance hall, inadvertently startling a few Ravenclaws. As they started to ask how he did it, he cut them off with a "We don't know either." He led Dumbledore and Hermione out the large doors and onto the grounds. Moving a fair distance from anything, he stopped and focused for a few minutes. Dumbledore and Hermione watched in interest as he sprouted a grin and wooden target appeared about 50 yards away.

Harry made a motion like he was pushing something and a wave of pressure shot away from him towards the target which was snapped off at the ground. Harry waved his hand and the target repaired itself. He then motioned like he was chucking a ball, and a ball of fire flew at the target, which burst into flame when it hit. He vanished the target after the flames went out. He held his hand out in front of him, palm up, and a small ball of flame appeared above it. "I still haven't found a use for this" he said, indicating the ball of flame.

"Is there anything else you can do Harry?" asked Dumbledore.

"Probably, I just haven't had a need to try yet. I could probably do all that without the movements, but I rather like the effect it creates. Shall we return to your office?"

At Dumbledore's nod, Harry took both back to Dumbledore's office.

"I must say I'm still puzzled as to what you do when you 'pop' like that. You said Hermione picked up the wandless magic quickly?"

"Yes, I came into his compartment on the train looking for Neville's pet toad, and he suggested summoning it. I mentioned how I hadn't heard of a summoning spell, and he mentioned that it wasn't a first year spell. He stuck his hand out in front of him and Trevor came floating down the train into the compartment. I asked him when we learn to do that, and he said he didn't know, since he was a first year, and only had books through fourth." said Hermione.

"We took the toad back to Neville, and then returned to the compartment, and she noticed I hadn't used a wand to summon the toad. She was under the impression that wands are required to do magic, so I brought up the accidental magic that often happens in young children. We worked for a few hours and she learnt to change the colour of a piece of parchment at will. It took me about a month to do that," Said Harry, "but perhaps it's easier to learn when someone explains how to do it. She also picked up levitation today in charms in 20 minutes. Wandlessly, I mean."

Dumbledore looked thoughtful at this. "Yes, I imagine it is. Why did you pause outside before conjuring the target?"

"Conjuring, so that's what I did? I had to figure out how to do it, since I'd never done it before. I assume you heard about my shrinking books and practising on a rock?"

"Yes. That makes sense, I suppose. Well, it's nearing dinner time, and you two should head back to your common rooms. Thank you Harry, Hermione. I have a lot to process now."

As Harry and Hermione headed out of the office, Dumbledore was lost in thought. McGonagall's theory about starting early may not be the reason, after all, if Granger learned that quickly from Harry. Perhaps he should see how Harry is teaching.

Back in the corridor, Harry took Hermione's arm and popped them to the common room. The results would soon become the stuff of Hogwarts legend.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: And we're nearing then end of my early attempts.
Sign up to rate and review this story