Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Untitled Story - Year 1

Something's Queer about Quirrell

by matt311 0 reviews

Tis chapter eleven. See chapter one for summary.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-08-21 - Updated: 2008-08-22 - 996 words

1Funny
Chapter 11 - Something’s Queer about Quirrell
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, 3 September 1991
DADA Classroom
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
09:45

Harry and Hermione were sitting through the stutterings of Professor Quirrell, when a thought occurred to Harry.

"Is it just me, or does his stutter seem unnatural? I've never heard someone stutter so consistently before." said Harry.

"Now that you mention it, it does seem almost forced. Why he would fake a stutter, though?"

"Who knows? It's yet another mystery, to go along with the third floor, and my non-apparition. Maybe he-" started Harry, before falling silent and looking confused.

"What?" asked Hermione, seeing the expression on his face.

"Something just tried to get inside my mind. Legilimency normally requires eye contact, through, and I wasn't making eye contact with anyone."

"Legilimency? Get inside your mind?"

"I'll give you a book on it when we get to the common room later. I'd recommend learning Occlumency, anyway." said Harry.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, 3 September 1991
Gryffindor Common Room
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
10:15

Harry returned to the common room from his dorm, and went to where Hermione was sitting by the window.

"This book should be of use." he said, handing Hermione Keep Private Thoughts Private - A Guide to Occlumency. "I'm trying to learn legilimency, so if you want, I can test your shields once I get better."

"I don't see why not." said Hermione, looking through the beginning of the book. "It seems that it may come in handy, being able to skim surface thoughts, which it says people who have learned legilimency can do. Anyway, we'd better go to charms."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 6 September 1991
Potions Classroom
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
09:15

As Harry, Hermione, the rest of the Gryffindors, and the Slytherins sat in the potions classroom, Snape entered, reminding Harry of a greasy bat. Harry thought he would work well as a poster boy for the wonders that shampoo can accomplish. When he was taking roll, he paused at Harry's name.

"Ah yes. Harry Potter. Our new celebrity." said Snape, before continuing.

After he finished roll, he started explaining the class.

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making," he began. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death -- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."(1)

As Harry was copying this down, Snape looked over at him.

"Potter! Since you seem to think you know everything already and don't have to pay attention, maybe you could answer some questions. Tell me, Potter, what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

Deciding to answer rather than point out he was taking notes, Harry spoke. "They are the same plant, Professor."

Instead of stopping, Snape continued. "Where would you find a bezoar, Potter?"

"The storage cupboard, or the stomach of a goat, sir."

"What are the ingredients required for the Polyjuice potion?"

As Harry started listing them off, Snape decided to see how he knew this. "Surely", thought Snape, "the son of James and a Gryffindor would not be inclined to study enough to know this much already."

As Snape's legilimency probe found Harry's shields, it was redirected to a pre-recorded message that Harry had prepared for just such an eventuality, after the Quirrell incident.

"Greetings, Legilimency user. You have been redirected to this message because you have not been given permission to enter my thoughts. I would appreciate it if you would withdraw from my mind immediately. Further uninvited attempts will result in more serious responses."

As the message finished, Snape found his probe thrown from Harry's mind. Harry finished listing the ingredients, and sat glaring at Snape.

"It seems that Mister Potter does in fact have some semblance of knowledge about Potions after all. Why weren't you all copying what he said down? And five points from Gryffindor for your cheek Potter."

The rest of the lesson passed mostly in silence, as the students started preparing ingredients and Snape hovered menacingly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 12 September 1991
Grounds
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
15:40

The Gryffindors and Slytherins were out on the grounds for their first flying lesson, and Harry had been one of the few whose broom had immediately responded to his command. Unfortunately, Neville had lost control of his broom, and fallen and broken his wrist. Malfoy, ever capitalising on opportunities to annoy and humiliate others, spotted Neville's Remembrall.

"Maybe if Longbottom had been holding this, he'd have remembered how to fly his broom." said Malfoy, picking up the Remembrall.

"Give it here, Malfoy." said Harry.

"No, I don't think I will. I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find. Up a tree, maybe? Or perhaps the roof of one of the towers?" said Malfoy, mounting his broom and moving upward.

"Give it here, Malfoy." said Harry again.

"You can come up and get it, Potter, if you want it that badly." Malfoy drawled.

Mounting his broom and kicking off, Harry joined Malfoy in the air, despite the protests of Hermione. "Give it to me, Malfoy."

"Hmmm... Nope, Catch!" said Malfoy, a slightly evil smile on his face, as he threw the Remembrall into the air away from him.

Harry glared at Malfoy, and tore after it, catching it just before it hit the ground. Smiling, he made his way back to the rest of the class, landed, and pocketed the Remembrall. He was unaware that anyone besides the Gryffindors and Slytherins had seen him, until a familiar voice sounded.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

(1) This quote is from PS. I did not create it, Rowling did. I think this is another case of "She simply did it best."
Sign up to rate and review this story