Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Untitled Story - Year 5

The Untitled Story - Year 5

by matt311 0 reviews

Harry starts his 5th year - AU, eventual H/Hr. MildlyPowerful!Harry, Smart!Harry, TakesInitiative!Harry. See chapter one for more detailed summary.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-08-21 - Updated: 2008-08-22 - 1592 words - Complete

2Insightful
Author's Notes:

Powerful!Harry (But not Super powered, just above average), Smart!Harry, WellBalanced!Harry, TakesInititive!Harry

While this story is categorized H/Hr, not much in the way of relationships is touched on in this story. Year six has more of that. It is definitely NOT R/Hr.

Harry enters his fifth year at Hogwarts. This story is AU, obviously. It is the fifth in a series of an as yet undetermined length, and the first written. I use ideas from a multitude of fanfic authors, and if you see your idea used, take it as a compliment, as I must have liked it. If it all seems too easy for Harry, it might be. Then again, that might change. Any bits that seem taken directly from Rowling’s books likely are. Some things were simply done by her best. If some characters seem OOC, remember, in this AU, their experiences and personalities are slightly different.

Note - The universe that this story is in has Harry learning to control his magic around age 8. He is more likely to think a problem out than rush into something without thought. He is skilled on a broom, although he is not on the Quidditch team. He befriends Hermione on the train, and Ron doesn’t make an appearance until that ill-fated Halloween, although the “Trio” does eventually form. He has made something of a friend of Mr. Ollivander, since he is interested in creating wands, and crafted his own for use as a second wand. In this universe, Dumbledore means well, but, as the saying goes, “The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.”

This AU also uses the correct days for the calendar, therefore, Thursday, Aug 12, “1995”, the date used in OOTP for Harry’s trial, is an impossibility, since 12 August was a Saturday that year. It also does not have the first day of classes ALWAYS on a Monday, which is ALWAYS 2 September. Classes instead start on the first Monday after the first. Trying to keep track of “Hogwarts Time” and “Real Time” just gave me a headache.

The CADPAT (CAnadian Distuptive PATtern) mentioned in the story were introduced in 1997/98 in the Canadian Armed Forces. See Wikipedia for more information.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter One – A Staffing Project.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, 19 July 1995
Number 4, Privet Drive
Little Whinging, Surrey
13:50

Harry was sitting on his bed talking to Ron and Hermione using the communication mirrors he had given them so they could talk more freely than using own post.

“I wonder who Dumbledore will have teaching DADA this year. So far, nobody has lasted more than a year, and we’ve had a most amazing variety.” said Harry.

“That’s a kind way of putting it Harry. One was a complete fraud, and of the remaining three, two tried to kill you. One was a werewolf, one a polyjuiced death eater, and the third was possessed by You-Know-Who.” said Ron, counting them off on his fingers.

“Death Eater or not, you have to admit, we did learn in that class. Well, you did, Ron. Hermione and I already knew most of the material.”

“So, how much longer until you can come to Grimmauld Place, Harry?” asked Ron.

“Four days, Ron. I can’t wait to get out of here. I need to make a trip to Ollivander’s and ask him some questions. I still don’t see why Dumbledore insists on me staying here all the time. I think I proved without a doubt that I can at least get away from a death eater attack, and unless he’s suddenly changed my ‘guard’ to Aurors, most of them would be next to useless in an attack anyway.”

“He’s just trying to keep you safe, Harry, but I agree about the guard. Tonks, Mad-Eye, and Kinsley are the only ones who’d really be of any use.” said Hermione.

“So, any new gems in the Daily Propaganda?” said Harry, changing the subject.

“No. The Ministry is still in denial about Voldemort’s return, and they haven’t changed their tune since they started painting you as a delusional, attention-seeking madman three weeks ago.” answered Hermione, frowning.




“Stupid Fudge. I get the feeling this is going to cost everyone something major. I really ne–“ started Harry, but was interrupted by a loud bellow from downstairs, “Sorry, I’ve got to go. The walrus is calling.”

As he disappeared from the mirror, Ron and Hermione looked at each other.

“I hope we get a decent DADA teacher this year. I think we’re going to need one.” said Ron. Hermione nodded.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, 24 July 1995
#12 Grimmauld Place
London, England
9:55

Ron and Hermione were waiting in the drawing room for Harry to arrive. They had gotten permission to take a trip into Diagon Alley after much begging (by Ron), reasoning (by Hermione).

At precisely 10:00, Harry appeared in the room silently, the soft pop that once accompanied his unique method of non-apparition (one of many “Harryistic” abilities, as Hermione called them) long since having been eliminated.

“Well, ready to go?” he asked.

At their nods, they popped to Diagon Alley. Making their way to Ollivander’s, all three were constantly looking around for anything unusual.

“Harry, why are we going to Ollivander’s? We all have perfectly good wands, well, yours has that problem when used against Voldemort’s, but other than that…” queried Hermione.

“You’ll see. You’ll probably even be surprised. That is, if he can help me.”

Arriving at the wand shop, they entered, and Ollivander appeared from the back.

“Ah! This is unexpected! Wands still working fine for you two?” he said, looking at Ron and Hermione. “I hear yours gave you a bit of trouble. I expect you’re here for an alternate?” he said to Harry.

“Actually, no. I was wondering if I could buy, or perhaps make, a staff. I noticed that most death eaters are inexperienced with fighting with anything but magic, and a staff could come in quite useful. My friends might also be interested.” said Harry, and Ron and Hermione nodded.

“This is an unusual request. It has been a long time since anyone has come to me interested in purchasing a staff, and even longer since anyone came to me asking how to make one. I’d be happy to guide you three through making your staffs, since I doubt you intend to go into competition with me.” said Ollivander, with a slight chuckle.

“Excellent! When can we start?” asked a smiling Harry.

“Right now, if you want. I hardly have any customers until Hogwarts letters go out. If you’ll follow me…”

Following Ollivander into the back of the shop, they watched as he grabbed several boxes off shelves on the way. Entering what was obviously his workroom, he set the boxes on a table and waved them over.

“You each need to choose a core or cores from here. You’ll know which.” He said, indicating the first box. “While you do that, I’ll fetch some wood.” He said, disappearing into a storage room.

“I guess I’ll go first.” said Harry. Walking up to the box, he felt a ‘pull’ from two materials. Taking out a phoenix feather and a basilisk fang (rather small, he noted), he stepped back, while shaking off the odd pull he got from Hermione’s direction.

Stepping up, Hermione took a dragon-heart string, a unicorn tail hair, and then looked puzzled.

“What’s up?” asked Harry, noticing this.

“I feel a pull like I did with these, but coming from your head. I suppose your hair.”

“I must not have been imagining things then. I got that from your hair” said Harry, pulling a hair from his head. “Swap?”

Each now having the correct hair, Ron stepped up to the box, taking out a dragon-heart string and a unicorn tail hair. Stepping back, he looked at Harry and Hermione.

“Nope, no pull from either of your hair.”

The sounds of shifting and moving stopped in the storage room, and Ollivander came out, carrying a number of long poles, made of various woods.

“Now, I need you to repeat what you just did for the cores with these” he said, piling the poles on the table next to the boxes.

Again Harry went first, selecting what turned out to be ironwood and yew. Hermione selected yew and ash, and Ron took yew and cedar.

“Now, you need to choose a focusing stone for the tip of your staff” said Ollivander, motioning them towards the second box. Harry chose a rough diamond, Hermione an emerald, and Ron a Quartz crystal.

Over the next 3 hours, Mr. Ollivander walked the three through constructing their staffs. When they were finished, he took them out to the front of the store.

“Now, these are not registered with the Ministry, and as such, are not tracked like your wands. You three will need to practice using your staffs to get a feel for controlling the power you use with them, as they will work much better than your wands. I suggest that if you use them in public, you try to use them only in their wand-size state, as a staff likely would cause quite a stir.”

Nodding, the three popped back to Grimmauld Place, leaving a confused Ollivander behind in his shop.

“But, the wards… they blew right through… no, they didn’t… the anti-apparition ward is still intact.” muttered Ollivander, before shaking his head and heading back to his workshop.
Sign up to rate and review this story