Categories > Original > Drama > The Stupid Boy and the Outsider

Chapter 2

by joy2008 0 reviews

The Stupid Booy and the Outsider Chapter 2

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-08-25 - Updated: 2008-08-25 - 1839 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 2

She just kicked me! I just had to get her out of the pool that day. Well, Iguess I can't blame her. I was a jerk for the first five years of knowing each other. I don't know why I was so mean. It was just weird and she was a girl all icky and with cooties. We're older now, more mature.

Man, what is taking her so long!?! I laid back on her bed while I waited. Wow, her bed is comfortable. No wonder she doesn't like getting up. I moved from side to side finding an uncomfortable position, but there isn't any.

"What are you doing?" Jackie asks walking out of her bathroom now in her sweats and her long, straight cut, black hair, usually left down was up in a high ponytail, ready to run.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" I ask back.

"I don't know, but you look like a dog wiggling around on its back," she says holding back a laugh.

"Whatever," I say jumping up and heading for her balcony. "Let's go jogging!"

Her hand stops me as I walk by her. "How about we take the front door like normal people?"

"Fine. You're no fun you know that?"

"Yeah, yeah let's just go." She walks out of her room and into the hallway.

"Hey kids, off to go on your morning run?" I hear Mr. M say from the living room.

"Joe did you climb up the trellis again?" Mrs. M asks coming out of the kitchen.

"Yes and yes," Jackie answers for me.

"Joe that's not very safe. You should really use the front door. You can even use the back door if you want," Mrs. M says.

"Well, that wouldn't be any fun Mrs. M. They don't call me Danger for nothing."And they don't.

"Okay we're going now. I'll be back later," Jackie says as she pulls me out of the house.

Our jogs were the same everyday. We'd go on the same route and it was always quiet. You'd think two friends would take this time to talk, but we didn't. We hardly talk; I can honestly say I don't know much about her. So why do I call her one of my best friends? I guess after I pulled her out of the pool we just had this unspoken truce that we were.

Every time we're out on these runs I can't help but think about what she's thinking about. Does she think about her real parents? She's never talked about them. I guess she wouldn't want to since that was usually what I was taunting her about. All I know is that her mom died a few months before she was adopted. Nothing more, nothing less. She never talks about her feelings, not that I do, but she's a girl, girls talk about that stuff all the time.

So what do I know about her? I know her name is Jackie Mathews, she was born here in Jersey, her birthday is January 28, she loves Chinese food, her other best friend is Bernadette "Berna" Rada, her favorite color is blue, she can throw a mean right hook, and the thing that she'd hate for others in school to find out is that she goes to a therapist. She'd do more than hit me if I ever mentioned that to people at school. She'd kill me!

We were walking to my house now. We always went to my house after our jogs.

"Hey Mrs. Jonas," Jackie said as we walked into the kitchen.

"Hey kids you hungry." Mom was almost always in the kitchen, she loves to cook.

"I'll just have an orange." She grabbed an orange from the fruit bowl while Ihelped myself to some eggs, pancakes, and bacon.

"Oh Jackie, you're not turning into one of those girls that hardly eats are you?" Mom asked.

"No, I don't mind getting fat," she said as she peeled the orange, a smile playing on her lips.

"Good, and you're no where near fat so don't worry about it," mom said with asmile. "So what are you guys up to today?"

Jackie shrugged. "I feel like staying in all day."

"Maybe we could go down to Blockbuster and rent a movie?" I suggested.

"Can we call Berna?"

"Sure."

For some reason I've been hanging out with Jackie and Berna more and more and with my other friends less and less. I was starting to feel like that guy in Lizzy Maguire, but I still had my guy friends that I hung out and played wiffleball with.

Jackie walked into the living room to call Berna while I stayed in the kitchen to finish up my breakfast.

"Well, Joe's still eating and we're still sweaty from our jog. Maybe we should meet up in an hour," I heard her say to Berna. "Hey I'm gonna go home and shower. I'll be back in 30 minutes okay."

"Yeah, 30 minutes," I called back.

I know there is more to Jackie than what she lets people think. She shows the world that she's just a regular girl, but I know inside there's something else, something deeper and more meaningful. I wanna know about her parent's, her real parents. I want her to be able to tell me about it. It's the least she could do to repay me for saving her life right?

I finish my breakfast and go upstairs to shower. Through the walls I can hear my older brother, Kevin in our room strumming on dad's old guitar. He started teaching himself how to play one day a few years ago. He turned out to be better than I thought; played like a pro after a few weeks. We're in a band with Nick, one of our younger brothers. Nick was the one to get noticed first, but when the record company heard us play with him they wanted to sign us too.

I let Kevin's little tune consume me as I finish rinsing off and walk out of the bathroom.

"Sounding good bro," I say as I throw my dirty clothes in our hamper.

"Thanks," Kevin says putting the guitar down. "What are you doing today?"

"I'm gonna head down to Blockbuster with Jackie. We're meeting Berna and renting a movie. Wanna come?"

"Yeah. We should ask Nick if he wants to come," Kevin said.

"Nick!" I yell.

"Geez Joe he's right down the hall just walk over."

I shrugged and walked out of the room. Nick comes out of the room he shares with our 4 year old brother Frankie.

"What?" He asks.

"We're going out, you wanna come?"

"Yeah, give me a minute," he says going back in his room. Probably putting on his shoes and putting away whatever lyrics he's been working on. He was always good at writing songs or words in general, but he never really said them out loud.

When he came back out the three of us headed down stairs.

"We're going out mom," I say.

"We'll be back soon," Kevin assures.

"Okay have fun, and be careful." She was always worried we'd do something stupid. Well, I have to admit I've done a few stupid things before. But I'm older now, I'm not that stupid.

"Okay," we all say back in unison.

We walk out the door and Jackie is stepping out of her house too. And then we walked all the way to the shopping center. Kevin really needs to get a car.

"Hey guys," Jackie says as she messes up Nick's already messy hair and puts her arm around him.

I think she likes him the best because he doesn't ask too much questions and their both good at keeping things to themselves. They're perfectly fine with just sitting in silence. It drives me crazy.

"Will you guys be watching the movie with us?" Jackie asks.

"Depends on the movie," Kevin says.

"We can make it a marathon. We'll all pick a movie and just sit on our butts all day watching them," Jackie suggests.

"I dunno, I just wanted to get out of the house for a little bit. I think I'll just go back to writing when we get home," Nick says.

Jackie and Nick start getting into a conversation on what Nick's songs are about. He never gives an answer though. His answers were usually different ways of saying, "Just some stuff I've been thinking about," and she's perfectly fine with that answer.

When we finally get to the shopping center we see Berna waiting for us in front of Blockbuster.

"I didn't know you were bringing the whole family," she said with a smile. "So what movie are we looking for?"

"Look for whatever you want, we're having a marathon!" I say a little hyper before running into the store.

After in the first minute Berna had already grabbed the movie she wanted to watch, "A Walk to Remember." Of course she picked a chick flick. I've never watched it, but it looks like a chick flick. I looked for one of my favorite movies, "Liar, Liar." That Jim Carey is hilarious. Kevin ended up picking out"Rush Hour 2" and Jackie picked "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

When we were done at the cash register I saw a couple of my friends passing by. Apparently they saw me too since they were waving me to come out.

"What's up guys," I said when we stepped out of Blockbuster.

"Dude! Guess who just came back from their vacation in Vegas?" JD asked. He had brown hair, hazel eyes, and a little lanky, but he wasn't all that tall.

"I dunno who?"

"Kristine Koons!" a dirty blond hair and dark blue eyed Jerby yelled. He was so excited I thought his freckles were gonna pop out of his still baby fat filled cheeks.

I heard a sound similar to a grunt and the word "ew" mixed together from behind me. I turned around to see Berna had a sour look on her face. She and Kristine never got along. I never knew why, but I never asked.

"What's so special about that? We've known Kristine since elementary school," I asked. She was never popular or anything... well I guess her dad's money made her a little popular, but she never got anyone as excited as these two were now.

"You'll change your mind when you see her now," Jerby said.

"Yeah, man. I heard she got her dad to higher a personal trainer."

"And now she's pretty fine," Jerby interrupted JD while making an hourglass figure in the air.

"Who cares?" Berna finally blurted out. "Let's just go."

"Lost all your fight Rada? Or are you just scared?" Someone said off to the right.

We all turned toward the voice and there she was Kristine Koonz with her dark hair and porcelain skin, her baby fat gone, braces gone, and her eyes were like coal that burned into you. Jerby was right, she is pretty fine.
Sign up to rate and review this story