Categories > Original > Romance > Our Story

Preface

by JennBarny 0 reviews

A short poem that illustrates the love of country that would come between us.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2008-09-14 - Updated: 2008-09-14 - 1300 words

1Moving
I stood with General Washington at Valley Forge. I saw the pain and sacrifice necessary to create a new nation, free of oppression.

I saw Revolutionist Nathan Hale hanged, saying “I regret that I have but one life to give for my country.” I saw the tears shed for his life, and admired his determination.

I saw revolutionists thanking the French for their fleet. I helped raise Lady Liberty- a gift to the new nation from the French Government.

I was with Francis Scott Key as he wrote the immortal words of the Star Spangled Banner on a napkin, to the tune of a bar song. I watched that great flag flying over the fort, pride swelling in my heart.

I was on the shores of Tripoli and in the halls of Montezuma fighting along some of the bravest men ever born. In their honor were the opening lines of the Marine Corps song written.

I was at the Alamo, and saw brave men fall to Santa Ana’s men. I saw them fall, but I knew in my heart that they would not have chosen to leave had they known it would be their final resting place.

I nearly starved in the Depression; then FDR with his alphabet soup government saved me.
I was in Hawaii that fateful December morning. I saw men become heroes, disregarding their own safety to save the lives of others. I saw the Arizona sink, taking her crew to their deaths.

I was on an American battleship, shooting at kamikaze pilots, manning the guns until the last moment.

I was on a submarine, listening carefully for depth charges being dropped. I heard bulkheads snapping and hulls imploding as my targets were sent to the ocean floor.

I was in Normandy and saw many of my friends fall on the beaches. We knew the chances. We knew we would need a lot of luck to come through unscathed. We also knew that if we succeeded then the world would be better.

I was in the battalion that liberated the French from German oppression in both World Wars.

I was in the company that liberated the concentration camp at Dachau. To know that there was such hatred and cruelty in the world turned my stomach, but I knew that the part I played would make a difference.

I went to Vietnam willingly, did a double tour, helping prevent the spread of Communism. I saw friends fall at my side, attacked from behind bushes. I was awarded a box full of medals. I buried them, dedicating them to those friends. I returned to my home, not to ticker tape parades, but to protestors who would rather spit on me than give me the time of day.

I was in Berlin when the Wall came down. The emotions ran high that day, men and women alike hugging, cheering, crying.

I was in Iraq during Desert Storm. I was not ready to come home when they called me. I wanted to finish the job. I went home to a community who thought that they knew what it was all about simply because they saw a bomb drop on TV.

I was with the firefighters and policemen as they climbed into the Twin Towers on that September morning. I tried to help frightened and injured people out of the buildings until they collapsed all around me. I knew what I was doing, as did the others with me. I helped lead the rescue effort and rose the flag at Ground Zero.

I was on the airplane that revolted against the terrorists. We managed to crash the plane in a Pennsylvania field.

I was in the Pentagon when the third plane crashed into the side. I worked with some of those who were killed on impact. I was atop the roof when the flag was unfurled.

I was on the aircraft carrier that sent warplanes into Afghanistan to retaliate against Osama bin Laden. I was a pilot, dropping bombs on the caves where the coward Taliban were hiding.

I was in Iraq for one purpose. I was there to eliminate Saddam Hussein’s reign. I was not there to shoot civilians. I was not there to blow up the streets of Baghdad. It sickened me to see that Iraq’s Republican Guard would use civilians as shields.

I have been prisoner of war. I have been conquering hero. I have been cheered and jeered. I have risked my life and barely been paid for it. I have seen pain, death, sacrifice. I have known honor, valor, courage. I’ve seen cowards come home safe while the brave fall gloriously in battle. I know that this uniform I wear is a symbol of the choice I made. Given the chance, I would wear it again.

I am the American Spirit. You feel me when your heart swells when you watch the flag fly in the breeze, or hear the national anthem play. I touch every American life. You can tell I’m there when men and women risk their lives for another whom they do not know.

I am inside each member of the uniformed services be they soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, police, or fire fighters. They all desire to be a part of making the world a better place. They want to be where the fighting is to help make a difference. They don’t necessarily want war, but when it happens, they want to be a part of it. They don’t want their comrades to fall, but want to be there to catch them if they do.

I have heard the protests of those in Hollywood and other places around this great nation. As they speak I can’t help but wonder what they would be saying had we never gone to war. The world would be a far different place. For one, we would not be the United States of America, and I would not be here.

I wonder if they feel me in their hearts when I show the brave men and women of the military to them. I wonder if they truly believe that the military is being forced to go overseas when, given the choice, they would go willingly. They say they want an end to war to save lives, but that is why we go to war. We are protecting the lives and rights of others even as we protect our own. I wonder if they have forgotten what happened in September 2001. I wonder if they have forgotten their patriotism and pride.

I am the American Spirit. I live in those who love me, and I am worried for our country because of those who don’t. I worry, but I do not fear, because I know that the greatest military in the history of the world is ready and willing to protect me, and every other American, even if other Americans say something that we may not agree with. First and foremost, the military has sworn allegiance to the Constitution of the United States, and therein the right to Freedom of Speech. So though they may not agree, they will defend to the death the right for their critics to defame them.

God Bless America.

A/N: I wrote this bit a few years ago to articulate my thoughts on the division in our country. I am a sailor in the US Navy, and returned home from an eight month deployment to the Middle East last year and have another coming up next year. This document still makes me think, and makes tears come to my eyes as I read it. Please, let me know your thoughts on this particular piece or anything else on your minds.

MM3 (SW) Jennifer I. Barnette, USN
Sign up to rate and review this story