Categories > Cartoons > Transformers > Breakdown

Treatment

by Beregond5 0 reviews

Ratchet makes his diagnosis.

Category: Transformers - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Drama,Sci-fi - Published: 2008-10-04 - Updated: 2008-10-04 - 2904 words - Complete

0Unrated
Sunstreaker still paced up and down the corridor outside his dorms like a caged animal. He didn't know what else he was supposed to do. All he could think of was the sight of his brother, lying in agony on the berth as he tried - and failed miserably - to hold Sunstreaker's hand in his. And Sunstreaker could only cringe mentally as he recalled the heavy clank of Sideswipe's hand dropping at the red Lamborghini's side when Ratchet had to move Sunstreaker away to make his diagnosis.

A diagnosis that was taking too long, making the wait excruciatingly maddening.

Sunstreaker landed a fist on the wall, a cry of frustration tearing from his vocaliser.

At the next moment, there was a firm, reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"Easy, Sunstreaker."

Prime.

Sunstreaker sighed. Of course it was Prime. The big guy was always there when any of the Autobots were suffering so as to offer his comfort, even his strength, in any way possible.

And the funny thing was... it always worked. It certainly worked now, as Sunstreaker lowered his fist and unclenched it.

"I'm sorry, Optimus," Sunstreaker murmured sadly, turning to the Autobot leader. "It's just that--"

"I know," Optimus replied, not letting Sunstreaker continue. "But Ratchet is in there now, and he'll do whatever he can."

"But what if it's not enough?" Sunstreaker insisted. He couldn't help that treacherous feeling of doubt that gnawed at his heart.

"It will have to be," Optimus replied.

The large mech's tone was so soothing and with so much faith that Sunstreaker finally calmed down.

After all, it was Ratchet they were talking about. The medic had never let anyone down before to start now.

Suddenly, a small piercing sound emanated from Prime's forearm, indicating an incoming transmission. Optimus activated his transmitter.

"Yes?"

"Jazz here, Prime. Sunstreaker and Sideswipe's duties have been shared among the rest of the troops, like you asked."

"Good work, Jazz," Prime said.

"Yeah," Sunstreaker said, mildly cheered up at the news. "Thanks."

"I hope your brother pulls through, Sunstreaker," the saboteur said sincerely. "Jazz out."

"That makes two of us," Sunstreaker murmured as the transmission ended.

It was then that Ratchet walked out of the room, looking quite serious. Optimus and Sunstreaker faced him at once, waiting to see what the medic would say.

"It's his thermostat, I'm afraid. It's broken, and so his systems are overheating. The good news is that nothing else has been damaged in the process."

Optimus nodded his understanding, but Sunstreaker got restless again.

"You can still fix him, right?"

Ratchet rubbed his optics tiredly. "I can, but it's not easy. That's what I wanted to talk to you about, actually." He turned to Optimus. "Prime..."

But Ratchet didn't need to go on. Prime had already understood.

"It's fine; I have to join Ironhide on patrol anyway. We'll talk later about Sideswipe's condition."

"Of course, Prime," Ratchet said, nodding.

"Good," Optimus said, a hint of a smile evident in his voice. "That will be all."

And with that, the Autobot leader turned on his heel and walked away. As soon as he was out of sight, Sunstreaker fixed his gaze on Ratchet.

"Well?" he asked.

Ratchet sighed and beckoned Sunstreaker to follow him inside the room. Sunstreaker winced when he saw Sideswipe still lying on his berth with his optics closed. And, what was worse, his twin kept lolling his head sideways, a whimper flowing out of his lip components every once in a while.

The sight was almost unbearable. And, not knowing what else to do, Sunstreaker sat next to Sideswipe to cup his brother's cheek in a soothing manner.

Sideswipe leaned to the touch, but it didn't seem like he understood what was going on around him. He was simply drawn to the cool hand in his overheated state.

Bro...

"I don't understand," Sunstreaker whispered before he could help it. "How did this happen?"

"That's what I'd like to know," Ratchet replied, crossing his arms. "You didn't notice anything strange about his behaviour lately?"

"Well, he was pretty high-strung when we returned to the Ark yesterday," Sunstreaker admitted. "And then he hurried to the washracks as though his life... depended on it..." His voice trailed off as a terrible realisation crossed his mind. "Primus..."

"What?" Ratchet asked, now looking hard at Sunstreaker.

"I've just remembered something that Bumblebee said," Sunstreaker answered. "He went to the washracks right after Sideswipe, and he was surprised that the water was cold."

"So that's it," Ratchet noted. "Your brother understood that there was something wrong with him, and he tried to remedy the problem on his own."

"It still doesn't make sense," Sunstreaker said. "He didn't get hit by any laser fire. He was just driving."

"We're machines, Sunstreaker. It doesn't have to take something big for our parts to malfunction," Ratchet said softly. "Take your creator, for example. His laser core was defective, wasn't it?"

Sunstreaker nodded ruefully. He knew Ratchet was right, and he did remember that Head On's spark was weak simply because the orange mech's laser core never provided it with enough energy. Still...

"He's my brother, Ratchet. This shouldn't have happened."

"But it happened anyway," Ratchet reasoned. "And now you must decide what must be done."

"What do you mean?" Sunstreaker asked.

"Sideswipe's thermostat is beyond repair," Ratchet answered with a shake of his head. "I've already talked to Wheeljack via transmitter and he said that he will have another one ready by tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?!"

"It's the soonest possible. Wheeljack's already abandoned all his other projects so that he could work just on the thermostat," Ratchet said, his scolding tone quite audible. "You're not the only one who wants to see Sideswipe back on his feet, Sunstreaker. Remember that."

Sunstreaker bowed his head in shame, because he was aware that Ratchet had a point. This wasn't the time to act selfish.

"I realise that. I'm sorry," the yellow Lamborghini said quietly.

"Sunny..."

Sunstreaker and Ratchet looked at Sideswipe, surprised to hear his voice. The red Lamborghini was really online, his half-closed optics trying to focus on Sunstreaker.

Sunstreaker patted his brother's cheek in reassurance. "I'm right here, Bro."

Sideswipe blinked slowly. "You won't leave me, will you, Sunny?"

He sounds so small... the yellow Lamborghini thought, and he actually caught himself smiling. "Of course not, Sides. Now go back to sleep, okay?"

Sideswipe smiled back, though with difficulty. "Okay..." And with that, he obediently slipped into recharge once more.

It was Ratchet who finally broke the silence that followed after the overheating mech had shut his optics.

"Sunny and Sides..." he repeated in a musing manner; then regarded Sunstreaker curiously. "Let me guess. Is that what you used to call each other when you were sparklings?"

Sunstreaker nodded. "Although I don't know why he's started calling me that again."

"It's because of his overheat. Some of his processor circuits got affected as well," Ratchet said. "I wouldn't worry though. They will operate properly once Sideswipe gets his new thermostat. But, until that happens, you'll have to decide whether you want Sideswipe in stasis lock or not."

"Stasis lock? Why?" Sunstreaker asked, not really understanding.

"Isn't it obvious?" Ratchet replied. "Sideswipe's systems take less strain when he's offline. If I put him into stasis lock, he won't be in any discomfort until I operate on him."

"But he won't know I'm at his side either," Sunstreaker said. "You heard him, Ratchet. And... I need to know that he knows I'm here."

"I understand that," Ratchet said. "However, you must also understand that it will be difficult for him to function as long as he's in this state."

"But it won't kill him, right?"

Ratchet didn't answer at once. When he did though, his answer was a very reluctant: "No."

"Then my mind's made up," Sunstreaker declared.

"Are you sure?" Ratchet asked once more.

"Yeah."

The medic sighed and put a hand on his hip. "All right, it was your call anyway. But now you have to get ready for one very long day."

"It's fine by me," Sunstreaker said. "Just tell me what I have to do."

This time, Ratchet smiled a bit and patted Sideswipe's helm. "Your brother had the right idea when he headed to the washracks and then to his berth. Pour cold water on him whenever his overheat becomes unbearable and make sure he recharges as much as possible. It won't cure him, but it will make things easier for him."

"Okay," Sunstreaker said, nodding his understanding. "Thanks, Ratchet."

"All part of my job," the medic said; then turned on his heel and headed for the door. "I'll be back in a few hours to check on him."

And with that, he was gone, trusting Sunstreaker to take care of his twin.

---------------

Another whimper flowed out of Sideswipe's lips, but Sunstreaker didn't stop pouring water on his brother's chassis and head. Sideswipe's overheat was becoming dangerously high again, and Sunstreaker intended to follow Ratchet's orders to a tee. It was true that the yellow Lamborghini tried to be as gentle as possible in his treatment, but it wasn't meant to be.

"Cold..." Sideswipe mumbled weakly.

"I know, Sides," Sunstreaker said, feeling a bit guilty. "You're gonna have to bear it a little while longer though. I'm only trying to help."

Sideswipe blinked, staring at Sunstreaker as though he was trying to process what he was being told. Sighing, Sunstreaker slowly emptied the bowl he was holding on Sideswipe's helm, hoping his brother wouldn't protest this time.

To Sunstreaker's good fortune, Sideswipe didn't. In fact, he didn't say anything. As soon as Sunstreaker placed the bowl on a small shelf nearby, the red Lamborghini curled to his side and slipped into recharge. His arms were folded in front of his chest, and his hands clenched into weak fists.

If Sunstreaker weren't aware of his twin's condition, he would have actually smiled at the sight; for that was the way Sideswipe used to sleep when he was a sparkling.

Now, though, it just set Sunstreaker thinking. Ratchet had said that the overheat affected some of Sideswipe's processor circuits, something that explained why Sideswipe was acting in such a way. But could it be that Sideswipe's memories became jumbled too? Because, if that were true, Sunstreaker could think of only one reason why Sideswipe wanted to make sure the yellow Lamborghini wouldn't leave him.

Sideswipe was recalling Head On's death - and the promise Sunstreaker made back then.

----------------

Sunstreaker walked heavily back home, hardly acknowledging the greetings, even the condolences, that he got from any passing mech he came across. For he had just made all the final arrangements necessary so that Head On's body would be placed in a small tomb, and he was feeling both emotionally and physically tired.

Still, he knew that those matters had to be taken care of. It was the least he could do for the mech that had raised him and Sideswipe in spite of everything.

The yellow Lamborghini stepped inside the house, not in the least surprised when his twin didn't come to greet him like he usually did. Besides, Sunstreaker knew perfectly well where Sideswipe was; he had hardly moved from there ever since Head On passed away.

And so, Sunstreaker walked directly to Head On's room. Sideswipe was really there, sitting on a chair and simply staring at the empty berth that was in front of him.

"Sideswipe?" Sunstreaker said softly.

"I just can't believe he's gone," Sideswipe replied, his tone matching his brother's. "I feel like it's some kind of a bad joke."

Sunstreaker placed an arm across Sideswipe's shoulders. "I know."

It was then that the red Lamborghini faced his twin, the question he meant to ask already reflected in his optics.

"You won't leave me, will you, Sunny?"

Sunstreaker didn't think it was possible, but he managed a small smile.

"Of course not, Sides. Would I do that to my other half?"

Sideswipe sighed in relief. "Good."


--------------------

Sunstreaker caressed his twin's helm absentmindedly as the memories caught up with him. It was after Head On's death and witnessing his brother so sad and lost that the yellow Lamborghini promised himself to look after Sideswipe, no matter the cost. But now, as he felt the unnaturally warm plating under his palm, Sunstreaker couldn't help but feel like he had somehow failed Sideswipe.

No one was to blame, though. As Head On would have probably said, it was mere fate; bad luck.

Sunstreaker still hated it.

It was then that the sound of a familiar chime filled the room; a sign that someone was at the door. Sunstreaker thought at first to just ignore it; it wouldn't be a good idea to disturb Sideswipe's recharge by making more noise than necessary.

But, curiosity got the better of him in the end. So, Sunstreaker stood up and opened the door.

It was Bluestreak.

"Um... hi," the silver mech said calmly, but Sunstreaker could tell that Bluestreak was anything but calm; he was wringing his hands in a nervous manner. "I heard what happened. How is he doing?"

Sunstreaker shook his head. "Not all that good. He's weak and he needs to rest."

"Oh," Bluestreak said, his expression saddening. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb. I should come some other time." He turned on his heel and got ready to leave.

However, Sunstreaker caught him gently by the shoulder. "I didn't say you can't see him. It's just that he won't be able to talk to you."

Accepting the invitation, Bluestreak allowed the yellow Lamborghini to prod him inside. "Actually, I didn't come just for Sideswipe," he whispered, making sure not to wake up the recharging mech. "I came to see you, too."

"Oh?" Sunstreaker said. "What for?"

"Well, Ratchet said that you won't be able to get out of the room, since you'll be taking care of Sideswipe," Bluestreak explained. "So I got you something." And with that, the young gunner got out from subspace a small vial of energon, along with a couple of empty cubes.

Sunstreaker looked at the vial in surprise. "You didn't have to go through all that trouble," he said.

"No trouble whatsoever. It was the least I could do,"Bluestreak replied reassuringly, handing Sunstreaker the vial. "Besides, there's enough for Sideswipe too for when he gets fixed. Something tells me he'll need it."

Sunstreaker took the vial, but he still wasn't sure whether he should accept it or not. That is, until he locked his gaze on Bluestreak's face. Something in the silver mech's expression made him decide that he didn't want to hurt the gunner by refusing such a gift.

"Thank you," he finally said. "I mean it."

And he did. Sunstreaker always appreciated a kind gesture, even though he wasn't the type of mech that would express it openly enough. He placed the vial on the table nearby and then turned to Bluestreak again.

"Do you want to stay for a while?" he asked. "I could use the company."

But Bluestreak shook his head ruefully.

"I'm afraid I can't. I have to go out on patrol soon enough."

Sunstreaker blinked in confusion. "I was under the impression it was your day off today," he said.

"It was, but I have to cover for Cliffjumper. He's taken up your duties till Sideswipe gets well again."

Right. Sunstreaker recalled Jazz saying that he had done all the rearrangements to make up for Sideswipe's breakdown. It was only natural that some compromises had to be made as well. "So who's taken up Bro's duties?" he asked curiously.

"Tracks."

"Oh."

At the next moment, Sunstreaker registered what Bluestreak really told him.

"What?!"

Bluestreak chuckled. "Yup. He even volunteered for the job."

Sunstreaker was still downright sceptical about that statement. "Are we talking about the same Tracks? A big, blue Corvette with a superiority complex that threatens to pummel Sideswipe to a scrapheap every time Bro pulls a prank on him?"

"That's the one," Bluestreak replied in mild tease. "And it doesn't mean that he's not willing to help out in a time of need, you know."

"I guess so," Sunstreaker admitted, certainly impressed by Tracks for once. "I'll have to thank him afterwards."

"You do that," Bluestreak said. He checked the time reading on the computer monitor and then patted Sunstreaker on the shoulder. "Anyway, I'd better go now; Prowl will probably be waiting for me. Let me know when Sideswipe gets better, okay?"

"You'll be the first one to know," Sunstreaker promised with a nod. "Good luck out there."

"Thanks." And with a brief wave of his hand, Bluestreak headed outside. Sunstreaker could only watch him go in silence before walking back to his brother.

Who was conscious and looking blearily back at him.

"I heard voices," he murmured. "Who was it?"

"Bluestreak," Sunstreaker answered, sitting on his usual place by his twin's berth. "He was worried about you."

Sideswipe sighed, a small, tired smile crossing his features. "He's a good kid."

Sunstreaker could only agree to that. "Yeah, he is."

But the red Lamborghini continued on. "He hides a lot of pain too. Just like you, Sunny."

Sunstreaker froze, taken aback by those words. "What do you mean?" he asked.

But Sideswipe didn't answer. He just turned his back on Sunstreaker and drifted back to recharge, leaving his brother confused and troubled.

TBC...
Sign up to rate and review this story