Categories > Original > Romance

Cupid Stallion

by Jay-Crazy 0 reviews

my first real original creation a romance

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-10-18 - Updated: 2008-10-18 - 3484 words

0Unrated
Chapter 1: The Mustang

"Hey Nashua!" I called from Hot chocolate, my brown mare,"Choco here is getting impatient and so am I! Cant you get that horse of yours to behave?"
He grunted his retort,” If you’d get over here and help me, Zella we could go."
I rolled her eyes at him. He was trying to train Sunbeam the buckskin mare, and she wouldn’t let him mount her without a fight.
I dismounted and walked over to him. Suddenly Sunbeam planted her left front hoof on Nashua's black boot toe.
"Ow!!! Get off me horse!" Nashua pushed her shoulder. The mare stepped off his foot but laid her ears back.
"Easy girl," Nashua called to the mare. He turned to me,"Im about to jump onto her back. If she bolts grab her reins. Got it?"
"Yeah," I called.
Nashua made a move for the saddle. Sunbeam humped her back as soon as she felt him on her.
"Now girl, you know you don’t wanna buck," Nashua cooed to the mare. As if she knew what he was saying, Sunbeam snorted and craned her head around to look at him. Humor almost showed in her eyes. She stomped a hind hoof. Nashua smirked as he looked back at me.
"Oh you’re just full of yourself!" I shouted at him.
"Maybe or either my horse training methods are starting to spark."
He had a gloating expression on his face that made me want to slug him, but I didn’t have to. Sunbeam started bucking like a rodeo bronco when she noticed Nashua didn’t hold the reins tight. Nashua turned her in a tight circle. Finally she tired.
Nashua Wiley Cochize was a natural with horses. It probably had to do with his full Cherokee heritage
Darrelle Finch, my other best friend always said, Nashua and me looked like a perfect match, but I couldn’t imagine us dating. We had known each other forever. Even though-
"Zella, have you even heard a word I said?" Nashua muttered.
"What?" I stammered realizing he was talking.
Nashua gave a sigh," Those horses are going to be gone if we don’t hurry up!"
He was right even if I didn’t want him to be.
Three mares escaped the pasture fence last night.
I mounted and they headed toward Coyote Springs. Nobody knew about that place except for Nashua and me.
We both heard a horse scream at the same time. We cantered after it. A herd of of four came into view. I recognized the three mares, but there was a light gray stallion. Not just any stallion, he was a mustang!
Both horses slid to a cowpony stop that threw dirt.
Sunbeam was a cowpony in training. Nashua's father Roy owned a cow ranch. Nashua had taught Choco some cowpony tricks. I was suddenly aware of Nashua moving in a weird way beside me.
I glanced at him,” What are you doing?" I asked, noticing he was standing in his stirrups.
"About to rope that gray," He sat down again.
"Why?" I asked puzzled.
"Haven’t you seen his front leg?" Nashua said, swirling his rope above his head.
Sure enough trickles of blood were running down his leg.
The rope went around the horse's neck. He pulled back with a surprised squeal. The mares nickered nervously at the riders. They followed the stallion as Nashua ponied him. He reared. Nashua clucked to him. He came down slowly. The stallion threw his head up and snorted.
"Here now steady," Nashua said in a low voice.
"Oh, no!" I groaned, seeing a black horse with its rider approaching.
"Kody," Nashua muttered, with a grunt.
Kody Laysy was always bullying me into liking him.
"Hello, Nashua, Zella," Kody nodded after us.
Sunbeam bared her teeth at Kody's horse Jon. Nashua sighed. Sunbeam stiffened.
How did he know Sunbeam did that? I thought in surprise.
"You need help with that stallion?" Kody asked, looking at me.
I shook her head," No, we don’t need your help, but thanks," I tried to keep the tremor out of my voice but failed. Kody for some reason always made me nervous.
Nashua glanced at me with a raised eyebrow. Our eyes met and I felt my heart fluter.


Chapter 2: Impossible


"well, I guess I'll see ya'll later," Kody touched his hat and kicked his horse in a canter.
Nashua was still staring at me when I looked back from Kody.
"What?" I asked him.
"I don’t know," Nashua said sounding strange.
We herded the horses toward home. My father Matlock Mackeane came toward us,” Where did you get that stallion?!" he bellowed.
"Ugh, around a spring," I answered quickly,” We have to help him he's hurt," I begged.
"Alright as long as you two don’t think I’m gonna let you keep him," Matlock said,” He’s a mustang he could ruin my whole breeding business," he mussed.
"But if we train him to lead and ride him in one week, can we?" Nashua asked.
"Maybe" Dad said.
The mustang snorted, shaking his head.
"You can keep him in that corral over there," he pointed toward a corral to the left of the two stables,
"You can give those mares, Nashua,"
Nashua without a word, handed them over.
"You two better get to trainin' that loco thing. A week goes fast," Dad told us.
Ever since Nashua said they were training the stallion in a week, I had been glaring at him.
Who does he think he is? I thought, irritated.
February is freezing in Cherokee, North Carolina and all I wanted to do after school is go in and cuddle up with my cat Ella drinking hot coffee. But, Oh, no, I have to be outside almost 24/7 training a horse!
As we left Matlock, I almost lost it,” Are you crazy?!" I snapped at him.
"'Bout what? he asked, mystified.
"You know what! I almost yelled.
"No I don’t know," Nashua said still mystified at my attitude toward him.
"Oh yes you do know that we can’t train that horse in one week!" I cried out, then added,” That’s impossible!"
"Don’t think I can do it?" Nashua gloated.
''No!" I said in aggravation. I knew he could do it, and didn’t wont him to get all the credit.
"Guess I’ll be training him my self," Nashua drawled.
"Oh no your not! I’m helping so you don’t get all the credit!" I said finally.
"Good!" he said opening the gate to the corral.
Suddenly the horse balked in front of the open gate.
Nashua clucked trying to get the horse to go in.
"Zella get over here and help me, don’t just sit there," Nashua said tugging the rope.
"And you thought you could handle him by yourself?" I laughed at him, getting off Choco.
Nashua mumbled something she could hardly interpret. I caught the words,"Yeah, you'd think so."
I slapped the horse's rump. With a squeal, he galloped into the corral bucking.
Nashua shut the gate,” We need to start training this mustang so we should put these horses in the pasture."
Duh! I already knew that. Why did he always think of it first?
"Okay," I said, slightly irritated with him.
It took five minutes to strip our tack from our horses and hang the tack on the fence, then turn our horses into the pasture. Then we went back to the stallion.
The stallion threw his head up when we approached, backing away and rolling his eyes.
"Easy boy, were not going to hurt you," Nashua said softly, then told me in the same voice,” We need to get to that leg before it gets infected,"
The blood had started to dry into crusty brown, and more fresh blood trickled down still.
"I think we should tranquilize him first," Nashua said,” I’ll be right back," he said walking toward the stables.
"Hey pretty boy!" I smooched at the mustang.
He snorted and pawed the ground.
"I’m not going to hurt you, pretty," I told him,” Yes, you are so pretty!" I smooched at him.
The stallion snorted again loudly.


Chapter 3; Jealousy



"Zella that’s really embarrassing!" Nashua yelled across the yard. I heard him chuckle, then he was beside me getting out a syringe out of the first aid kit.
"How do you expect were going to get to his neck to insert that shot?" I asked.
"We'll corner him then stab him with the thing," Nashua drawled.
"Who gets to stab him?" I asked him.
"You will, while I hold him still," he told me opening the gate, slowly.
Suddenly I felt sick, Nashua never suggested me do something that was real dangerous so why was he telling me to do that? Then I thought again, it would be more dangerous holding him still then to just stick a needle in him.
As they went in Nashua gave me the syringe behind his back. I hid it behind mine.
Nashua made a move for the mustang's rope; he still had around his neck.
"Got him, do it now!" Nashua shouted at me.
I stabbed him.
The stallion jumped sideways and bucked five times before galloping around the corral. In a few minutes he slowed, then his head lowered, then he stopped, eyes glazed.
"This wont last long, so we better hurry," Nashua said getting the first aid kit,” Go get a halter. We might as well put it on him now will he’s tranquilized," he told me.
As I went into the tack room and got one, I heard someone clear their throat. I turned and saw Blake Pelton wink at me.
Recently we had started secretly dating. He was my boyfriend and Nashua's friend.
"Hey, beautiful," he said grinning.
"Hey Blake, what's up? I asked him as he kissed me.
"Just wanted to see you and Nashua," he said, still grinning.
"Zella Charli, hurry up with that halter!" Nashua yelled, breaking the moment.
"Coming," I yelled back.
"Boy, does he sound mad," Blake chuckled.
I hurried back to the corral, Blake behind me.
"Hey buddy," Blake said as we reached Nashua.
"Hey," Nashua said as he took the halter from from me, he gave me a dirty look," C'mon," he told me opening the gate letting me go first.
When ever Nashua was mad or nervous about something he said as few words as possible to be understood. I bet he’s angry right now. His movements were jerky; sentences short.
He took the ropes off the horse's neck and put the halter on,” Here," he tossed me the ropes.
I caught them, and then put them on the fence post on my way out of the corral.
I heard the mustang get up and shake.
Nashua was behind me as I opened the gate; he held it open and nodded me through.
Blake slipped his arm around me when I was close enough to reach.
He kissed me again. I saw Nashua's eyes flash as Blake did.
"Gotta go," Blake left.
"What the heck was that?!" Nashua exploded.
"What’s what?" I asked shocked
Nashua made a noise between a growl and a snort.
"What did I do?" I cried out.
"You mean what did he do?" Nashua snarled.
Suddenly I remembered he didn’t know we were dating.
"I’m sorry we didn’t tell you we were dating," I said annoyed with his responses.
"Dating?!" Nashua roared.
"Yes, do you have a problem with that?" I snapped.
His glare hit me like physical pain. Why was he so mad about us dating? I knew he was furious when he got really quiet. He always frightened her with his horrible mean glares. That's the only trait he got from his dad was the same frightening glare, except Nashua never hurt any one, his dad did.
I backed away from him,” Why are you so mad?!" I cried.
"That ain't hard to figure out," he sneered.
"See you tomorrow at school, Nashua," I dismissed the argument, and ran into the house leaving him to take care of the horse. I ran upstairs and slammed my door. Running over to my CD player I blared Rascal Flatts. It seemed to help me calm down a little. I screamed into my pillow. i hated Nashua being mad at me. surprisingly I heard the stallion squeal over the blaring music. I got up and went to look out the window. i caught her breath...Nashua was standing directly in front of the stallion blowing into his nostrils.
Suddenly Benji there ranch dog raced under the fence.
The stallion reared his front hoof cutting into Nashua's arm as he came up.
Nashua stepped backward in pain, holding his arm.
"Nashua!" I gasped running outside.
"Are you alright?" I asked him now beside him.
"Never better," he flinched as he shut the gate walking up to me.
"No your not. Let me see it," I insisted.
He let me examine it. He winced once when I touched a sore spot....it was so deep.
The fire in his eyes dissolved.
"I’m sorry I was so mean---I never meant to be so cold," Nashua apologized blushing.
"That's okay," I dismissed it.
I met his gaze, his expression looked like I slammed a door in his face, but it dissolved when I said,” We better get something on that before it gets infected," I cocked my head toward the house.
As we walked toward the house, a sideways glance told me Nashua wore a lopsided grin.
The old Nashua was back!
I smiled



Chapter 4: Breakup (True Colors)



I was almost happy all day till Blake came to me in the school hallway the next day.
"Hey you wanna go out tonight?" Blake asked.
"No thanks. I have to help Nashua train the mustang," I answered casually.
"Why not?" Blake said sounding angry.
“I just don’t," I said surprised.
"What about me?!" Blake asked, showing anger now. I knew now he wasn’t in love with me.
"What’s wrong with you?" I asked...he was acting like total jerk.
I thought she saw Nashua in the crowded hall looking at me.
"It’s over," I said, pushing past him to go to the bathroom so I could get a hold of my self.
I heard Darrelle come up behind hme,” What happened?" Darelle cried out when we went in the bathroom.
"Nothing," I snapped, wiping my eyes.
"Yeah Zella what happened?" said a voice behind me.
I turned to see a slender blonde with green eyes,” What do you want Carla?"
Carla was Kody's sister who was the same age as me.
"Why did you break up with Blake?" she sneered.
"That's none of your business," I said then left.
After school, Nashua and me got to work getting the mustang to lead. He was being stubborn.
"Push on his rump," Nashua told me, but it didn’t work.
"I'm going to get a whip," Nashua told me.
"What---why?" I asked.
"Relax I’m not going to whip him or any thing," he said reassuring, then left for the barn.
"Hey pretty boy!"I called to the horse, walking up to him. I stretched out my hand to rub his nose when a bird flew right under his nose.
He reared knocking me under him.
I screamed covering my face as he came down pinning me between his legs. He nicked my shoulder with one of his hooves making me scream again. I couldn’t move. I was paralyzed in fear.
"Zella!" I heard Nashua gasp in horror as he ran out of the barn hearing my screams.
As soon as the stallion saw him he stepped way from me.
Then Nashua was beside me,"Zella, are you okay?" he asked her softly, helping me sit up. He was holding me.
"I--I--" I gasped, trembling I turned my face into his chest.
"Your shoulder is bleeding," Nashua said accidentally brushing my shoulder, I winced as he did.
"Sorry," he said softly,” Let’s see if you can walk. It's getting colder out here," he helped me get up. As he let me go I collapsed unable to hold my weight I was weak from shock.
Nashua caught me before I fell. He lifted me up in his arms.
I almost thought I was dreaming as he carried me to the house. My head was pressed against his chest. I could hear his heartbeat and his breathing. His body heat was so much warmer then mine...i was freezing before he picked me up. I wondered what was wrong with me; I had felt butterflies in the corral when Nashua's arms went around me. Suddenly I knew why I broke up with Blake---Nashua was why. I wished I knew if Nashua was in love with me. Then I thought about his explosion when Blake kissed me. Nashua had looked jealous.
Nashua opened the door and went into the living room laying me down on the couch.
I remembered my mother Belle was off work today.
"Oh no!" I moaned.
"What's wrong?!" he asked alarmed, he had just come back from hanging his coat and hat.
Before I could answer I heard Mom call our names.
I hoped Mom hadn’t heard my screams. The walls of their house were very thick so she probably hadn’t.
Me and Nashua's eyes met for a few seconds.
"Zella, Nashua I thought you two were training the mustang. I--" she stopped in her tracks seeing me on the couch...
"What happened?" she gasped taking my coat off.
"She---" Nashua started.
"The stallion knocked me over accidentally," I interrupted him.
Nashua shot me a look when I interrupted him.
Mom made me take my shirt I had over a tank off so she could see my shoulder. Sliding the strap over my shoulder, Mom examined my wound.
"Nashua, can you go get the first aid kit please?" Mom asked him.
"Yeah," he said and left. When he came back she put peroxide and a band aid on it.
"I think you should stay here for a while," Mom told me.
"But, I-," I started.
Nashua interupted,"No you don’t, I can do the rest of the lead training," he said with some thing like authority in his voice.
"In fact I really don’t think you should be involved with this dangerous horse,” Mom said.
“What?!” I squaked.
“Only if you really think you want to take a chance of getting hurt 10 times worse than you did today,” Mom finished.
Nashua was still staring at me as I said, “I’m going to help with the horse tomorrow,” I told him meeting his brown eyes.
“I’m going to get back to the mustang,” Nashua said still staring into my eyes then he left.


That night I sneeked outside while everyone was asleep.
“Hey pretty boy,” I called to the horse. My voice was trembling.
He reared when he saw me.
“I’m sorry---I’m sorry!” I yelled at him. I grabbed the rope that was on the fence post and went in the gate. I slapped his rump with it, stepping toward him doing the scarecrow I wasn’t going to let him rest until he showed me the signs of joining up.
I did this for 10 minutes when he slowed down lowering his head and started chewing.
I put my arms down and turned around slowly sagging my shoulders. I heard his hooves behind me then felt his hot breath on the back of my neck. I turned slowly turned toward him knowing he could hurt me if I spooked him. I held my breath as I touched his nose.
He snorted softly.
There was only one more thing I could try. The indian way of greeting a horse. I blew into his nostrils and waited for him to blow back.
He did, nodding.
I laughed. I had just got him to trust me!

Chapter 5: The Kiss

I woke the next day by pebbles hitting my window.
I groaned looking at my clock.
“4:30? What?!” I stumbled out of bed and opened my window.
“Yeah?” I yelled.
“C’mon we should get an early start,” Nashua yelled back.
“Alright!” I groaned getting dressed but as I got to my upper clothes I gasped as I put them on.
“Are you alright?” Nashua yelled up.
“Yeah,” I gasped tugging on my shirt then ran the brush through my hair.
I ran down stairs hoping I didn’t wake any one.
Nashua was standing outside the door when I got outside.
As I shut the door I saw him grinning.
“What?” I asked, suddenly noticing he had dimples.
“Nuthin,’” he said softly






Sign up to rate and review this story