Categories > Original > Drama > Beat of Their Own Drums

One More For Love

by Alcatraz 0 reviews

The Jonas Brothers are going on tour in a couple of weeks. Kevin isn't sure how Ollie's going to take the news. Song used: Five For Fighting's "One More For Love"

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-10-26 - Updated: 2008-10-27 - 2587 words

0Unrated
A/N: ALL RIGHT! PEOPLE! I am officially back on schedule for this story. Aren't you people proud of me? XD Probably not...anyways, this is another Kevin Jonas oneshot. Yay!

Disclaimer: I do not own the lyrics to "One More For Love".

Song Used: Five for Fighting's "One More For Love".



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seventeen: One More For Love
Puppet: Paul Jonas Jr.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baby there's something on my mind tonight,
There's a reason to believe we almost got it right,
There's a fire burning in the firelight,
As we roll on tonight...


“You know that old saying, 'don't shoot the messenger'?”

Though I couldn't really see them, I could feel her eyes focus curiously on me. The two of us had been sitting in silence for so long that my own voice sounded alien to me. It was dark, too, and I almost felt as if I'd been swallowed up by some large beast and had been almost completely cut off from to outside world. Had it not been for the reassuring light of stars and the moon, joined with the sparking of another soul at my side, I would've been afraid.

Actually, I was afraid anyway. I had a feeling she wasn't going to like my news at all. I glanced at her, sitting up and running a hand through my curls. We'd been outstretched on the hood of her beloved Plymouth Barracuda, hands folded behind our heads as we peered up at the sky in silence.

Regardless of the tenseness that came with her presence, it was a very rare occurrence for the pause in conversation to last more than a few seconds. Something was bothering both of us.

Perhaps she already knew.

“Yeah. Shakespeare, from King Henry the Fourth. What about it?” She replied, also sitting up. There was a suspicion in her voice that made it obvious that she was not going to like what I had to say, but her jaded eyes remained just as cold and distant as they always were.

I bit back the urge to ask how she knew where the phrase originated. I'd never really seen her as being into Shakespeare. Maybe I didn't know her as well as I thought. “Um...well...” I started awkwardly, “my brothers and I...”

I gazed at her for a moment. One fiery eyebrow lifted expectantly. “Spit it out and get it over with, will ya'?”

“Right,” I muttered, looking away and rubbing the back of my neck anxiously, “unh...my brothers and I are going on tour in a couple of weeks.”

“For how long?”

I winced. Leave it to her to take the hard way out. Why couldn't she have just let me tell her without making it seem so...so frigid? Sometimes, I couldn't help but think the chips of ice she had for eyes were part of her soul, too.

“Th-three months...”

I waited for her to be upset, to be angry, to be sad...but it didn't come. She hardly even seemed phased at all. “That's not too bad.”

There's paper promises and alibis,
There is certainly uncertainty in all our eyes,
But as long as you are here I'll be all right,
As we roll on tonight...


I wasn't sure if I was glad that I didn't have to deal with an emotional breakdown like I'd been expecting, or if I was a little dejected that she didn't seem at all affected. She would miss me, wouldn't she? It was always so hard to tell...

“You think so?” I asked, unsure as to if she was just saying that to keep up her image as the fighter or if she really wasn't all that bothered.

Ollie nodded, a lopsided smile gracing the noble, finely-chiseled face that, had she been alive then, would've belonged on a Roman coin. “Yeah. The way I figure, that's just three months less I have to deal with Joe's crap.”

There was that ice again.

My shoulders drooped unhappily. She wouldn't miss me. She never did, anyway. There really wasn't much hope that would ever change, either. I'll miss you, though. I thought, knowing that if I said it out loud that I'd be teased. Normally, I kind of liked it when she mocked me about that sort of thing. I thought it was cute. But now...

In a rare moment, Ollie's eyes softened. She must've seen me droop, and for a moment she actually seemed to be able to see that I was feeling a little down. Stiffly, almost as if she wasn't certain if she should've been touching me at all, she rested her head gently against my chest. “And those love letters are always nice, too, ya' know. Good reading material for the grandkids, ya' know?”

Always the joker.

I had to admit that that made me feel better. My brothers and I had already left on tour once in the duration of our relationship, and I had had lots of free time on the bus rides from place to place; what better time to write something for the girl I couldn't get out of my head, no matter how many fan girls (or lack thereof) screamed my name a day? Joe had hated me for making us stop at a post office every couple of days, saying that I should've just sent her e-mails or text messages...

But it was so much more personal, writing letters. I'm sure it meant more to her to be able to look at my handwriting. It meant more to me, after all. Typing something out just seemed too easy. Of course, she, being unable to write back in the same way, had sent me e-mails, but that was different. She didn't have a choice.

“How did that one go again?” She asked absently, her voice far off as she tried to remember what I'd written to her last year, “'It's the middle of the day and I was thinking about you, as usual, and a thought struck me. Sometimes life hits you with unexpected things that take you totally by surprise'...”

“'All I can say is you're the best surprise life has given me',” I recited from a clear as crystal memory, sighing softly and bringing my arms around her, eyes sliding shut, reveling in the recollection. “'and that I love you and only you'.”

So you go out I'll go on,
If there's a doubt we'll be strong,
As we go on singing,
One more for love my love,
One more for love...


“Do you, by any chance, have a photographic memory, Kev?” Ollie asked after a moment, straightening up so that she could look at me with those faraway eyes. She didn't pull against my hold, but I didn't like the way she'd pulled away, even if it was just a little. She never let me hold her much...

“Not that I'm aware of.” I answered, wishing we could've talked about the love letters just a little longer. She'd never liked the sentimental approach to things; I'd heard her say before that she preferred to be in the world, but not of it. She was more interested in jokes, knowledge, ideas...love meant little to her, it seemed.

We were such opposites, she and I. She was loud, I was quiet. She was intellectual, I was emotional. She was cryptic, I was straightforward. She was wild, I was a gentleman. Her younger siblings knew her as a bodyguard, mine saw me as an advisor.

...But I just wanted so badly for us to work.

“Are you sure? You seem to remember things a lot better than I do. That's a real feat right there, ya' know.”

I nodded, finally opening my eyes. “I'm pretty sure I don't,” I replied, cocking my head to one side anxiously, “and I know. There aren't very many people who know which presidents first and last names start with the same letter.”

There's always blood to fill the heart betrayed,
There are children being born to every house that's raised,
And we're getting closer to where we got it made,
As we roll on tonight...


“Woodrow Wilson, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover...” she listed a few of them, but I knew better than to think that was all. She seemed to trail off as if she couldn't remember the next one.

That was certainly unusual, and a small hope flickered in my chest. Maybe I was getting through to her after all. Maybe she would finally admit to the fact that she would miss me and that she didn't want me to go...if I just held out a little longer...

I was just about to ask her if anything was the matter when she spoke up again, once again resting her head against my chest. She sounded sleepy, as if she was yawning while speaking at the same time. “We got really off track, babe.”

I slowly eased back onto the windshield of the car, gently bringing her down with me. I closed my eyes a second time, nodding very slowly. “I thought we were done. You said you were all right with it.”

“Mostly, yeah.”

So you go out I'll go on,
If there's doubt we'll be strong,
As we go on singing,
One more for love my love,
One more for love...


I peeked open one eye. What was this? The tigress had feelings? “Mostly?” I repeated stupidly, knowing that I would probably be rebuked for it.

I was right. It was a strange paradox, really; she was so unpredictable that she was predictable in her unpredictable tendencies. “Yeah. You want me to spell it out for you, stupid?” Ollie retorted in a teasing tone, “I'm mostly all right with it. I actually think I'll miss you this time.”

Even when she was obviously trying to be affectionate, it seemed as if she simply couldn't escape the part of her that wanted to laugh. But I knew she had a heart in there somewhere. Somewhere underneath all the taunts, all the smiles, all the snickers, she was a girl who just wanted to be happy and wasn't sure of any other way but to poke fun at others.

Maybe I could show her.

Experimentally, I closed both eyes again and kissed the top of her head, tightening my grip around her slightly. So rarely did she let me hold her like this that the feeling of her so close was new and strange, but I couldn't say that I didn't like it. “I'll miss you too, Ollie.”

I could almost hear her reply before she even said anything. “I know”, or maybe, “why doesn't that surprise me, Romeo?”, or, most likely, “you're such a sentimental geek. Calling you the 'romantic one' is an understatement.”

I'm never going to wait for anything,
Never going to break for anything,
'Cause I am one more for love my love,
One more for love,
One more for love my love...


“Promise to send me some more of those love letters?”

This time both eyes popped open in surprise. Was she really showing me that sensitive side that I'd known had always lurked underneath that bulletproof skin she pretended to have? Had I finally broken through to her? Was that even possible, or was I so filled with false hope that I had just imagined her saying such a thing?

I looked down at her. The clouds in her eyes that always seemed to be obscuring her emotions from view had lifted, and now they glimmered with hope like two of the stars up above us. Her muscles felt relaxed and at ease rather than stiff and nervous as they often were when I touched her, and she just looked...happy. Truly happy. Not amused or taunting.

My chest swelled with my own brand of happiness. She had only needed someone to stick around long enough to show they cared, and I'd gone the distance. I smiled cheerily at her.

Baby there's something on my mind tonight,
There's a reason to believe that we got it right,
And all and all you're all that's on my mind tonight as we roll on...


“Promise,” I purred, bringing my face level to hers and gently rubbing the tip of my nose to hers in a soft Eskimo kiss, “who knows? Maybe I'll even be able to write a song for you. Those bus rides can get pretty long.”

She giggled, returning the gesture with the clumsy innocence of a girl who was rather new to the world of love and romance. “I'd like that.”

It was then that I realized that I may very well have been the first guy to have stuck around long enough to see that she felt things just like the rest of us. On one hand, that was a little surprising; she was an amazing girl and it didn't seem right for her to have not caught someone's eye before. She just needed a little more patience than the rest of them, that was all. But on the other, I was so glad that I had been able to snag her heart before anyone else could. Something told me that it was not an easy feat and couldn't be done twice over.

“You said it would be three months?” She asked, breaking another silence that had seemed far more fitting than the one at the beginning of this conversation. “And that you're leaving in a few weeks?”

“That's the plan.” I murmured, hating the idea of leaving her behind with a new passion. Did I really have to leave so soon? It was like I'd just uncovered some great buried treasure, but now I had to return to the surface for air and leave it behind. Time was such a precious thing, and we were running out of it.

She nuzzled deep into my collar, drew in a deep breath, then slowly released it, teasing my skin in such a oddly soft way for her that made my heart beat just a little bit faster. “Then we don't have a whole lot of time left, do we?” She asked, voicing my own thoughts with eerie accuracy.

I sighed. I didn't want to leave her. “No.”

She too, took in another large gust of air. “Then I guess I better hold you a little closer and kiss you like I really mean it, huh?” She mumbled into my skin, her lips very lightly brushing against the side of my neck and making me shiver a little, “I've already wasted too much of the time we have left.”

“Wasted?” I echoed. No way would I let her get away with thinking that this talk hadn't meant anything. I was glad that we'd had it, because now I knew that she'd missed me. I knew she cared. That was all that mattered now. “No, love, not wasted. I feel like we've finally gotten it right, ya' know? It's just one more hour spent for love.”

I could feel her smile into the crook of my neck and I smiled too, my eyes sliding closed for the final time. “You're such a geek.”

I chuckled. “I love you.”

One more for love my love,
One more for love.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hmm. This one I'm not really sure about. I really liked the dialogue in this one as well, but I wasn't sure I really nailed the meaning of the song. I think I'm too blond to understand it...
Sign up to rate and review this story