Categories > Celebrities > Backstreet Boys > Stay Away From My Daughter

Birthday Party

by Litta 0 reviews

Fast forward a few years to Casey's thirteenth birthday.

Category: Backstreet Boys - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-10-29 - Updated: 2008-10-29 - 1484 words - Complete

0Unrated
Diane snuck into Casey’s room early in the morning, careful not to wake her up. She hung streamers all across the walls and bookshelves. She knew how much Casey loved it when she decorated her room. She snuck out again without waking Casey and continued to decorate the rest of the house. The timer on the stove rang then, letting her know the cake was done. She pulled it out and decorated it. She wanted the cake for Kevin and his friends to be special. Casey would count her time with her father more important than the later party with her friends, so the larger cake for the group of teenagers was store bought to save money for the other cake. The phone rang, drawing her attention.

“Hello? No Mike, I told you I can’t come in today. Why? It’s my daughter’s thirteenth birthday party and I promised her I would take work off. No I can’t just come in later. Please Mike, I’ll work extra hours next week to make up for it. I don’t know, call Jessica, she said she might be able to cover for me. Please? Thanks, I appreciate it. Okay, I’ll tell her. Bye.”

Diane sighed. She’d had this day requested off for more than a month in advance to make sure she got it off. Casey thought it was a big deal to become a teenager, and Diane wasn’t going to be the one to spoil her day. She finished frosting the cake and stuck it in the fridge to cool. Then she went into her bedroom and grabbed Casey’s presents from underneath her bed.

She chuckled as she remembered when Casey used to get up early and try to find where she hid her presents. Every year she switched hiding places to make it more difficult. The past few years Casey had decided to give up, realizing it was more fun to be surprised. She set the presents on the table and waited for her daughter to wake up.

Casey woke up in the late morning. She smiled as she took in the decorations in her room, then ran out the door and gave her mother a hug.

“Happy birthday, honey.” Casey beamed.

“Thanks Mom.”

Diane made her French toast for breakfast, her favorite breakfast food. Then she opened presents. Casey loved the new clothes, and gave a squeal of delight when she opened the book she’d been wanting.

A few hours later, Casey sat on the couch bouncing her legs up and down. Her party was still over an hour away, but she was excited about something else. Her father was going to come, and he told her he was bringing her a surprise. She tried to guess what it was, but he wouldn’t tell her. He said that for the sake of privacy, he would show up an hour early to her party, before any of her friends arrived. No one knew that she was Kevin Richardson’s, member of the Backstreet Boys, daughter. Everyone agreed it was best like that.

“Casey, your father’s here,” her mom yelled through the apartment.

Casey jumped off the couch and ran out the door before her mom could tell her not to. She flew down the stairs, barely even touching them. As she turned the corner of the building she saw her father getting out of a car. She ran straight into his arms, just like she always did. She may be a teenager now, but some things would never change.

“Happy Birthday sweetie,” he said while swinging her around in his arms. Once he set her down, she realized he hadn’t come alone. The other four Boys had come with him.

“Uncle Brian!” She ran and gave him a hug as well, which he returned. She greeted the others with slightly less enthusiastic hugs, never having been one to stick to proper etiquette.

“Thirteen years old already,” Kevin said as they walked back into the apartment. “I can’t believe how fast the years go by.”

“You say that every time you see me,” Casey said, playfully elbowing him in the stomach since that’s how high she could reach. “How long are you going to stay?” She hoped that maybe he would just stay in the apartment during her party so she could spend more time with him afterwards.

“I already told you I’m only staying for an hour so I don’t run into any of your friends.” Casey sighed, disappointed. But then she brightened up, deciding to enjoy what time she did have with her father.

“Oh well. Mom baked two cakes for me this year, so you could have cake when you’re here this time. And there’s enough for everyone to have a piece,” she said, indicating the four guys behind them. She ran into the kitchen to get the cake at cut up some pieces. She heard her mom enter the living room and start talking with her father.

“Hi Kevin.”

“Hi Diane.”

“I’m glad you could make it, all of you.” She made a point of including the other guys. “I know it means a lot to Casey. Feel free to help yourselves to refreshments.” Casey watched as Brian, Nick, AJ, and Howie walked outside to get drinks.

“How are you two doing?” Kevin asked.

“We’re doing alright. I have a good job now, so I can keep up with all my payments and have extra money left over to spend on her. I went all out for her birthday this year.”

“I can tell.” Casey didn’t hear the rest of the conversation because Brian joined her in the kitchen and started talking to her.

“You know it’s not polite to eavesdrop.” Casey stuck out her tongue at him.

“So what are you guys doing right now?” she asked.

Brian told her about their current tour. They had just finished up the Europe leg of the tour for their Millennium album and were soon going to start touring the US. While she listened to him talk, Casey noticed the three guys messing around outside. She paid particular attention to Nick. She noticed how he’d grown up more since the last time she saw him, which was when her mom had dropped her off at her father’s work when she was eight. She had of course listened to the group’s CDs, enjoying their music. All her friends were into them as well, so she constantly heard about anything new that happened. Most of her friends liked Nick, and now she saw why. He was attractive in a boyishly cute way, but still had some growing up to do.

Casey finished cutting the cake and enlisted Brian’s help to carry it all outside to everyone. The group sang her “Happy Birthday” with their lovely voices blending together. Then she opened presents from Kevin and Brian. The rest of the guys hadn’t known what to get her so they just bought her a card. Brian bought her a collection of Jane Austen novels, her favorite author of all time. Kevin gave her a necklace made up of a silver chain and a green pendent, matching the color of their eyes. Casey loved it, especially since it would always remind her that she shared her father’s eye color.

The guys didn’t stay long after that. They had business to do and wanted to be gone before her friends arrived, or worse, the media showed up. Kevin took extra precautions to keep Casey’s identity a secret and keep her out of the spotlight. He wanted to give her a chance to grow up normally. He wondered what she would do when she turned eighteen though. In the past she’d expressed interest in possibly going on tour with him, after hearing about other family members of the group going with them. He turned her down, saying it was out of the question until she graduated high school. She hadn’t brought it up since then, but he wondered if she’d really forgotten.

The rest of the day passed uneventfully for Casey. Her friends came and gave her nice gifts, and she enjoyed playing games and eating cake with all of them. But when they began putting on Backstreet Boys music, her mind wandered to her father and then to Nick. He hadn’t shown any interest in her, but why would he? She was the daughter of his band mate, and five years younger than him. She was turning 13 when he was 18. She wondered if maybe things would change when they were both older, but decided it was better not to dwell on those thoughts at the moment. Besides, what would she tell her father?
Sign up to rate and review this story