Categories > Anime/Manga > Death Note > Shinigami: Death of the Old World

Luminosity

by crazyeightpianogal 0 reviews

Ryuk's condition is uncertain, and he's certainly not capable of running when the hunters show up.

Category: Death Note - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Horror - Characters: Rem - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2008-11-02 - Updated: 2008-11-03 - 2896 words

0Unrated
Rem flew as fast as she could, but it was awkward, trying to flap while holding Ryuk’s wing closed. It didn’t help that she had to flap in such a way that she wouldn’t dislodge him; his grip on her back had gotten weaker and weaker, and now he’d gone totally limp, having lost consciousness…or died.
She’d made it back to the city; the area they were in was very dark, very quiet, with few humans out walking around; no cars rumbling up and down the silent streets. All the buildings were empty, dark, and locked up. It made sense, though…nine years ago, the last time she’d been in the human world, whenever something called “New Year’s” had happened, all the businesses closed down early, and people flocked to concentrated areas of celebration. Finally, Rem spotted what she’d been looking for.
She flew right through the wall of a building and into a type of place Misa had called a “department store.” At night, the store was completely different-instead of brightly lit and bustling with people, merrily whirling their way about with their carts, the store was pitch black. Not one soul was inside; it was so silent that the sound of Ryuk’s falling grains of sand echoed throughout the store over the quiet rumble of the building’s heating system.
Having never had to treat an injured shinigami, Rem had no idea exactly what it was she was supposed to be doing. However, she was fairly certain that she should get Ryuk’s wound closed up before there was nothing left to drain out of it. She walked up and down a few aisles, looking around until she found something that looked helpful, right next to a patio furniture display…duct tape. Misa had occasionally used it to temporarily patch things up or hold things together, like when her nightstand had broken after an inebriated friend fell on it during a party. Until she went and picked up a new one, the old nightstand had been held together with duct tape…
Rem carefully set Ryuk down on a nearby cushioned reclining chair, finally taking her hand away from his wing in order to tear open the package of tape. Working quickly, she tore a long strip off and started taping Ryuk’s wing-one strip along the gash, on both sides of his wing, and then several shorter strips crosswise in order to hold it in place.
There…finally, Ryuk wasn’t losing any more sand; it was all taped securely inside his body. Whether or not it would do any good remained to be seen. Ryuk hadn’t moved since he’d gone still again while she’d flown him here. Rem couldn’t exactly check to see if he was breathing, or take his pulse-he was a shinigami, after all-and she had no idea if shinigami always turned to sand when they died, or not. Unless Ryuk moved or spoke, she had no way of knowing if he was alive or if she’d flown in and patched up a corpse. Rem wanted to sit and watch; to wait for something to happen; but that wouldn’t help. There was no time for idling; they were being hunted here. She had to start thinking of what came next. She walked through the wall of the department store, flew around for a bit to scope out its surroundings…

It was dark. And…soft. Was this what nothingness was like? No… “Nothingness” wouldn’t be soft, with blue flowers on it. Maybe something different happened when shinigami died? Wait…his wing…it still hurt…
Ryuk snapped out of his dreamy half-awake state and realized that he was lying facedown on top of a disgustingly floral couch or something, in a building in the human world. His wing was throbbing, but that wasn’t what had woken him up. He was incredibly hungry…his throat was so dry…his limbs were itchy; he felt his arm twist itself up of its own accord…
“Apple…” he mumbled.
“Ryuk?”
“Apple…I need an apple…”
“Ryuk! You’re alive! You haven’t moved in hours…”
“Yeah, I’m alive. Where can I find an apple?”
“…I figured as much. Here.”
Rem was sitting on the floor beside him, and apple in her outstretched hand. Ryuk grabbed it with his non-twisted hand and greedily wolfed it down. Ah…sweet relief…the itchiness and spastic tension in his limbs started to lessen, and disappeared altogether with the last bite.
“So…where am I? What happened? All I remember is getting hit with something and going down, then it gets all fuzzy…”
“You landed on a beach. After I managed to elude the hunters for a moment, I went back and got you, flew you here, and patched you up. I’m glad that my efforts weren’t wasted…that you’re still alive…”
“Why?”
“Hm? What do you mean, “why”?”
“Why the hell did you go back and get me, when they were after you?”
“Would you have preferred that I left you for them?”
“No…but seriously, why? That doesn’t make sense, putting yourself in danger just to save some other shinigami…I mean; we aren’t even friends or anything…”
“You put yourself in danger when you took me out of the tower.”
“Yeah, but I didn’t know what I was doing. Why would you go back and get me when you knew how risky it was?”
“I had to. I couldn’t just leave you there to die.”
Ryuk looked at Rem, incredulously. Just when he’d begun to think that she was made of sterner stuff, there she went again, acting like…like…well, a gigantic freakin’ softy. Spongy as ever.
“Well, that’s just stupid…but thanks anyway, I suppose.”
“You’re welcome. You can go to sleep again. It will help with the healing process.”
With that, Rem looked away, thinking. Sleep sounded good, Ryuk thought…while he’d been asleep before, his damn wing hadn’t bothered him…he drifted off again, more easily than he thought was possible.

He snapped awake again when Rem shook him, covering his mouth with one hand.
“Hhhm?” Ryuk said, or rather hummed, unable to say anything.
“Shhh. They’re here.”
Ryuk didn’t have to guess at who she meant by “they.”
“Meet me inside the grocery store six blocks down from here, but don’t start off until I’ve led them away. Don’t try to fly, and don’t walk through anything…the tape won’t dematerialize because isn’t part of the shinigami realm or you, and it will fall off. Sorry…I have to borrow this.”
Rem snatched Ryuk’s death note out of the holster-like accessory on his hip and ran off.

As soon as Rem had heard the telltale “zuuuu…” sound of a shinigami walking through a wall echoing from somewhere far off in the store, she’d known that the hunters had caught back up. She’d tried to think of a plan while Ryuk had slept, and this was the best one she had so far. She looked at a clock as she ran toward the sound…11:35. A bit early, but it might still work…she had to buy some time for Ryuk, who was too injured to get away with the hunters this close to him…
She rounded the corner, and came face to face with all three hunters. She screamed, trying to sound surprised…it didn’t take much acting. She shot up through the ceiling of the building, and heard three distinct zipping sounds…good, the hunters were following. The main thing was to lead them away from Ryuk. Rem flew as quickly as she could, weaving in between and through buildings in an evasive manner, but not so evasive that the hunters would lose her. Although she’d had a good long rest after finding that apple, and the hunters were probably somewhat tired from combing the city for her, she knew she still wouldn’t be able to outrun them for too long. Timing was going to be key-not so soon that Ryuk wouldn’t have time to get to their meeting spot, not so late that her plan wouldn’t be possible anymore, and above all, before the hunters managed to catch up to her…
Rem kept flying, going back and forth, up and down, trying to make her movements seem random, but in truth, making her way in a very specific direction. Whenever possible, she flew right through lit-up billboards and movie theatre signs, things that glowed and flashed brightly-she knew Daril wouldn’t like that, being sensitive to light…
She flew through a grandiose, glowing clock near the top of a large chain store. 11:45…okay. She had enough time, but…
Rem looked back quickly, just for a moment…yikes! And she’d been worried about being too evasive…despite all the weaving, ducking, and flying through neon signs, the hunters were right on her tail. That decided it…this was going to be the home stretch…Rem broke out in a sprint, giving up on trying to be elusive and heading straight for her final destination as quickly as possible. Just a bit further…she had to hold out…that was not the sound of wing beats getting louder, they couldn’t fly that fast, she was just panicking… there it was! Rem whipped out Ryuk’s death note and put pen to paper, searching the crowd of humans ahead and below for the ones she needed to write down…

Daril felt oddly calm as they closed in on Rem. Contented, even. She flew up a little; preparing to drop down on Rem at the same time Sidoh and Kinddara would hit her from the sides and knock her out of the sky…
BANG!
Daril shrieked as the entire sky boomed with a sound so loud it had a physical presence...its massive concussion wave pushed her upside down, her ears were ringing, her entire being was ringing…then the sound lit up, obscenely bright, filling the whole sky, burning the eyes right out of her skull…what the hell!? Then another boom, a shriek, a whole series of bangs, each so huge and monumental that they could be seen and felt; they where everywhere, battering her like giant hands, searing her eyes…what the hell!? She couldn’t see or feel or hear anything but the sounds; where were Sidoh and Kinddara? Where was Rem? WHAT THE HELL WAS GOING ON!? Every explosion, every assault on her senses sent her heart racing, and it wasn’t until she hit the ground and heard the roars of thousands of humans that she realized she’d fallen…

Rem flew back the way she’d came, still sprinting, hands over her ears and eyes closed. That had been loud…if it had scared Rem, who had known what to expect, then who knows what it had done to the hunters, unused to the human world and having no knowledge of fireworks. As she flew, the sounds of the fireworks got quieter, and she opened her eyes again, took her hands away from her ears…she’d been clutching Ryuk’s death note the entire time. Rem looked down at what she’d written, and then looked back over her shoulder at the lights that were still springing up in the sky, amazed that it had worked. She’d thought of it in that same grocery store she’d wandered off to while Ryuk slept, where she’d gotten his apple, where she was going to meet him soon…where she’d found the map that pointed out where the park in this city was. She’d suspected that the hunters would be close behind and that she wouldn’t be able to get away with an injured Ryuk in tow…perhaps she shouldn’t have let him sleep. Perhaps it would’ve been better if they’d just started running right away…no. Ryuk had needed rest. He’d been near death…it had done him a world of good. They could run now, now that he was feeling better…she’d been able to buy them a bit of a head start.

Slowly, Daril sat up, head spinning, ears ringing, eyes seeing nothing but bright white static. She rubbed at her eyes, trying to clear them…patches of the world were becoming visible, and she was beginning to hear the muffled shouting of the humans around her… “Happy New Year!” “Is he all right?” “Mommy, where are you?” “Oh My God! He’s dead!” “Daril!”
Daril? Huh?
“Daril!” Sidoh shouted, running up to her through the crowd of humans. “What happened?”
“Give me a minute…” said Daril, as the pieces of her brain stopped swirling around and she went over what had just happened...Rem, leading them here, writing in a death note before the explosions…the realization hit Daril hard.
“Dammit!” she said. “It was a trick! Rem probably knew this was going to happen…she led us here, on purpose…I should’ve guessed. The way she just ran into us in that building…she’s too smart for that, it wasn’t like her…I thought it was suspicious, but then I just followed her anyway…damn it! What a stupid beginner’s mistake, chasing after something without thinking…”
Kinddara appeared behind her, laughing. “You fell outa the sky! Hee hee! I was hoping you was gonna go splat. That woulda been funny.”
“I am not in the mood right now, Kinddara. We need to get back to that building…find out what Rem was trying to …”
Daril tried to get to her feet, still dizzy, but fell back down. Kinddara giggled again, and shyly, Sidoh stepped forward and helped her up.
“Thanks…” said Daril. He’d expected her to snap at him, tell him she didn’t need his help, like most shinigami would…the “thanks” was a bit of a pleasant surprise.
“Are you all right?”
“I’m fine. Are you? You look a little bit shaken up, yourself.”
“…I kinda fell too. Those things surprised me…” Under his breath, Sidoh muttered, “I don’t know why Kinddara’s laughing…she fell down, too…”
Daril laughed appreciatively. “At least we got that out of the way early on…Rem won’t be able to fool me like that again. You ready to hunt her back down?”
“…I guess. Sure.”
“Good for you, Sidoh. Come on. Let’s get back to that building…”

Ryuk sat in the aisle of the grocery store, eating the apples off a table. He was exhausted…walking was a lot of work; even more so when he was tired and hurt. Rem had been right; after it became apparent that all the doors in the department store were locked, like an idiot, he’d tried to just walk through a wall, but he’d stopped that when the tape began to stick to the inside of the wall and he’d had to hastily back up and stick it back in place…he’d finally resorted to just picking up a lamp and throwing it through one of those big glass doors. A bunch of alarms went off, but no big deal. He’d thought he was going to have to throw something through the window of the grocery store, too, but luckily he’d found a window that had already been pried open. So here he was, sitting in this grocery store blocks away, wondering when Rem was going to show up and what the heck she’d done…
Zuuuuu…Ryuk turned toward the sound of a shinigami walking through the wall behind him…phew. Just Rem.
“Here,” she said, handing him back his death note. “Sorry for taking it like that, but I needed it if I was going to get back here alive…”
Ryuk took his death note back, and flipped to the page Rem had written in…
Jack Richardson
Aaron Fisher
Zeke Reynolds
Arthur Dewitt
Set off New Year’s fireworks early due to a miscommunication about the time, and die five minutes later.
“What did you do, Rem?” Ryuk asked.
“I’ll tell you later. Right now, we need to start running.”
“What? I just walked six blocks to get here, and now you’re going to make me move again? Geez, Rem, I’m exhausted…my wing…”
“I know, but that doesn’t change the fact that we’re being hunted. Walking is too slow, and you can’t fly, so hop on.”
Ryuk sighed as he reluctantly got up, putting his death note back in its usual place. He grabbed about five apples and stowed them away before clambering onto Rem’s back.
“Good thinking,” she said. “I don’t know when you’ll have another opportunity to get a hold of apples.”
“So when will I get the opportunity to rest?”
“I don’t know. Something tells me we won’t be able to rest again for a long time. You’d better get used to running…I think we’re going to be doing a lot of it from now on.”
Sign up to rate and review this story