Categories > Original > Drama

Death. So Sudden, So Permanent.

by foxfangs 0 reviews

A woman plagued by sadness as he loved one died. A monolouge I wrote for class.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-11-06 - Updated: 2008-11-06 - 1139 words - Complete

0Unrated
Hello. I’m here today to honor the memory of a wonderful person that I was so lucky to have in my life. Logan was a great man and an even better friend. He was one of the few people I had ever truly cared about. [Pause] I guess that I need to talk about him and not myself… Well, It’s hard to not include myself, because I was always with him…
Always.

[Nervous laughter. Shuffles papers and clear throat.]


Logan Clifton was funny. He never wanted people to cry or be down. He was always joking, making observations that most of us wouldn’t. He never seemed to be down about anything, a constant smile plastered on his loveable face. You couldn’t call him hyper, he was always standing there just watching you, but when he saw someone he cared for sad, he would jump into action and try to make them happy. [Pause]
He wasn’t much of a talker though. I barely ever saw him holding long conversations with others, but I might have just been looking at him from one side. He was a man of few words, so every time he spoke I made sure to listen as well as I could. After all, he spoke in a soft tone, which didn’t help when we were somewhere crowded.
I notice now, after all of this, that he talked to me more than most, and he always went out of his way to see me. [Whispering] If only I had seen that before the accident…
He was a very honest person. If he said something, it had meaning. If he said that he though something looked good or bad, he wasn’t trying to make you feel good, he was just being truthful. Always honest and very sincere.
He was the affectionate type, even if he didn’t seem it. Little things he did, like getting you something sweet when you were having a bad day, having dinner waiting for you after a long days work, or even just giving you a hug that made all the tears all just run out of your body, made me the happiest I had ever been in my 25 years of life. Even though we didn’t agree on everything, he made sure we were never upset when the time came to fall asleep.
This poem was found in his jacket pocket after he… after he died. I’ll read it to you now, please excuse my stumble over the words, his handwriting is messy and even though I have read this many times, I still get choked up.

[Sad laughter, Clears throat]


Don’t grieve for me, for now I’m free.
I’m following the path God has laid, you see.
I took His hand when I heard him call,
I turned my back and left it all.

I could not stay another day,
To laugh, to love, to work, to play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way,
I found that peace at the close of day.

If my parting has left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss.
These things I too will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow,
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life’s been full, I savored much,
Good friends, good times, a loved one’s touch.

Perhaps my time seemed all too brief,
Don’t lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your hearts and peace to thee,
God wanted me now; He set me free.

[Struggles for composure, tears forming]


I’m not sure why he wrote this, but it seemed as if God had told him that it was soon to be his time to leave this earth.

[Choked speech] He… he was the greatest thing that had ever happened to me and now… He wasn’t just my best friend. I say that because I cared for him more than I should have if we had been just friends. He was the man I had not only shared my troubles with, but also my heart. [Tears falling freely] And… and now that he’s gone… I’m not sure how I can go on. I feel that if I had just told him how I felt, just let him hear the words ‘I love you’, that he might not have stormed off.
We had gotten into a fight the night of his death. I was arguing about how he should finally find someone to settle down with and he kept yelling about how he didn’t want to hear me say anything like that. [Sad laughter] It turns out that he had been hiding something from me for a long time.
I went through his things, yes I know, but everyone seems to do that after someone is gone, and I found something I couldn’t believe. It was a small black box and inside it was a silver ring with the words ‘love always’ on the inside of the band. A note was taped to the inside and of course I had to read it… The… the note said “My dearest Alice. I know that this isn’t much to offer, but if you will have me, I will be yours forever. Love Logan.”
So here I am, standing before you in all black, tears falling onto the grave of the man I never got to tell those three words to. I’m here crying for a man that held my heart in his hand and never knew it. I’m here before all of you to say that this man lived a good life. I’m here screaming on the inside, asking God why he had to take him from us at such a young age. I’m here to say that all of you here, every one of you should take this to heart. Don’t let things die. Never go without saying things you need to, because you never know when someone may be living their last day. Don’t let things go unsaid. Please, I beg of all of you, never let your heart die. He never did… He never did…

[Uncontrollable tears. Waves hands, tries to compose self, works slightly.]


[Choked speech] You were a loving friend, companion, roommate, boyfriend and son. May you be remembered in happiness and joy. Let this day of days be remembered for your life. Let it be a happy day, free of sadness from those who loved you.

[Long pause, allowing her words to sink in. head down, body shaking from tears. Looks up slowly, eyes glazed and grief struck. Bites lip before ending.]

I love you, Logan Clifton, and I always will.

[Steps down, taking papers with her.]
Sign up to rate and review this story