Categories > Original > Drama

Angel Tears

by foxfangs 0 reviews

This is the story of a woman who lost her child. Through her grief, she made changes in her life, altering it forever. But were those changes for the best?

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama - Published: 2008-11-06 - Updated: 2008-11-06 - 589 words

0Unrated
No one ever really understood. They just couldn’t fathom the trials you had to go through as an unwed mother. My darling baby girl, Isabella was her name, had just turned four. A healthy thing, she always made me cry in happiness, but she wasn’t as well as I had thought. The day she turned four was the last day I held her.
That house I was in, I couldn’t stand it. It reminded me of her so much and every breath I took was gagged by the smell of premature death. That place was no longer a happy one, no longer a safe haven from the world of fear and sadness I had so carefully shut out.
She was buried in a small cemetery in the middle of October. The sky dropped silent tears as I stood over the freshly turned dirt, the chill of the rain stopped short. The sun was shining bright. I had always told Isabella that when the sun was out and it was raining, a beautiful angel had just gotten its wings.
That thought made me cry harder.
As I was going through her things, my eyes never staying dry, I came across a bracelet, one I had given her as an early birthday present. It was a white string bracelet with blue beads on it. She had loved those colors and the bracelet was adjustable so she could wear it as long as she wanted.
I stared at it, my mind barely working, when I pulled it on, my teeth digging into my bottom lip.
“I’m sorry.” I whispered through my tear stained lips.
I had to leave. I had to get out of that place and start over, get away from all that sadness. Get away from the city and go back to the country. Maybe my mother would be happy to see me after so long. Maybe she would keep me, at least until I found a place of my own.
I picked up the phone and stared at the buttons, my mouth going dry. With a deep breath I dialed the number, my mind telling me to hang up.
Three rings. That was all it took. My mother answered, her soft voice sending warmth through my body.
“… H-hello?”
“Mom?”
“Alice? Is it really you?”
“Yes. It really is.”
“Well how are you? How’s Isabella?”
“That’s…” I began, biting back tears. “That’s part of why I called.”
The line was quiet for a moment, only the buzz of the phones occupying the space.
“Alice…” She said in a worried voice. “What happened?”
“I… I can’t. Not yet… but do you think I could come stay with you for a bit? Two weeks tops.”
“Um… Sure. I’m not really sure what’s going on, but you can stay as long as you need to.”
“Thanks mom, I really appreciate it.”
“Well, it’s no problem. When can I —”
“A few days. I’ll be there in three or four days.”
“A… Aright. Well see you soon dear.”
“Thanks again mom… I love you…”
“Love you too, dear.”

It took me two days to pack all my clothes and rent a trailer for my furniture. I quickly got into my car and pulled out of the driveway, my eyes lingering on the house I had spent the last four years in. I sighed and turned my eyes back to the road. I was leaving that place behind and there was no going back.
Sign up to rate and review this story