Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Pomegranate Letters

Chapter III

by Fallendire 1 review

Persephone wants to visit Hades in the Underworld, but the God of the Dead is reluctant . . . will this bring them closer together, or drive them apart?

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance - Published: 2008-11-20 - Updated: 2008-11-21 - 611 words

0Unrated
Dear Hades,
Why haven't you written any more to me? Did you have a bad time at the party? If you really didn't like it, you could have told me, and I wouldn't have forced you to stay.
I mean, it seemed like you were having fun. Did you just act like it so you wouldn't hurt my feelings? I know you didn't really want to come in the first place . . . I'm sorry. Please don't be mad at me. If you really don't want to write me anymore, at least reply to this so I know you're not ignoring me.
Your friend (right?),
Percy

Dear Percy,
I'm sorry that I worried you. I'm not mad at all - I told you I never get angry. I suppose I've just been very busy in the Underworld. There's a War in Sparta, so I have a near constant flow of couls to take care of.
I had a wonderful time at that party, Persephone, and I don't think I would have had you not been so kind to me. Perhaps we can arrange to meet again. Soon, I hope.
Warmly,
Hades

Dear Hades,
You've been up here, so why don't I come down there? Oh, I don't mean to invite myself into your house or anything like that. I just wanted to suggest something, you know, different. I want to see what it's like where you live . . . it would probably be really cool.
I'm glad you still like me. I really like talking to you, Hades.
Yours truly,
Percy

Dear Percy,
I don't think it would be the best idea for you to come to the Underworld. You wouldn't enjoy it, and I'd prefer you enjoy yourself any tie you're with me.
I can deal with the sunlight and noise - I'll just come to you again. I'm not used to entertaining guests anyway.
Warmly,
Hades

Dear Hades, don't be silly. You're acting like I'm some kind of delicate, fussy little nymph . . . didn't you say I'm different from most girls? I want to come see you, and I always enjoy myself when I'm with you - don't worry about it. Can I come next week?
Yours truly,
Percy

Dear Orpheus,
I believe I may be losing my mind.
This girl, this living, breathing, silly girl, has me wrapped around her finger. She has the God of Death at her mercy. And yet . .. she just treats me like a friend. She acts as though she cares about me. In fact, I don't believe she even realizes how helpless I am, how every sweet, naïve letter, every kind word, sends my long-dormant heart wildly pounding.
She doesn't fear me or hold me in contempt. My cold demeanor does nothing to deter her. She wants to come to the Underworld simply to visit me.
She's beautiful, she's young, she has her entire life before her and any number of handsome suitors and charming friends to keep her company, and yet she chooses to fraternize with me.
Why? Am I truly the brunt of some diabolically subtle joke? I am truly frantic, my friend, and on the verge of - Gods forbid - falling in love. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Hades -
Dude. Three words.
SHE.
LIKES.
YOU.
Deal with it, man. You gotta do somthing about that low self-esteem.
- Orpheus

Dearest Persephone,
I didn't mean to underestimate you. You're right - I'm sure you can handle this. I would love for you to visit me. I'll come to you first and lead you down - you can't get past my dog without me. I look forward to seeing you.
Warmly, Hades
Sign up to rate and review this story