Categories > Original > Drama > Beat of Their Own Drums

On the Ride

by Alcatraz 0 reviews

Paige and Izzy. They weren't born sisters, but by a twist of fate they ended up being one to the other anyway. Song used: Aly and A.J.'s "On the Ride"

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-11-23 - Updated: 2008-11-24 - 2165 words

0Unrated
A/N: Hey guys! Guess what's different about me this week? You'll never get it on your own, so I'll just tell you; I'm 16 now. Not 15. My birthday was on Saturday. But anyway! I tried a different approach with this one.

Disclaimer: I do not own the lyrics to "On the Ride".

Song Used: Aly and A.J.'s "On the Ride".



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twenty-Six: On the Ride
Puppet: Paige Waters



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't have to try,
To think the same thoughts,
We just have a way,
Of knowing everything's gonna be okay...


I loved my dad. He was always trying to look out for my wellbeing, regardless of how overzealous he tended to get in the process.

I loved my brothers. Luke was always good at making me smile, no matter how bad or sick I felt, and Buck had always made me feel sheltered, whether from the harshest of words or worst of storms.

I loved my mom. Even though she was gone, she had and would probably continue to be a source of inspiration for me. She had always encouraged even my craziest goals in life.

I loved Mac. Just the mere thought of the Irishman made my insides feel warm and gave me the uncontrollable urge to smile. He was the sturdy foundation I needed.

But somehow, the way I loved Izzy seemed so much different than the way I loved all of those people. Granted, there are many different types of love. There is the love a daughter has for her parents, which is really more respect until the youngster is capable of comprehending the concept of love. There is the love a sister has for her brothers, which is taught at a young age and grows as the children do. There is the love a girl has for a boy, which is a strange, complicatedly simple thing that has yet to be understood.

But the love a girl has for her best friend? It's almost like a combination of the three.

We laugh 'till we cry,
Read each other's minds,
Live with a smile,
Make it all worthwhile,
Make it all worthwhile...


“I remember this old tree.” I murmured as I delicately ran my fingers over the old, familiar bark of a tall maple tree, speaking more to myself than my Hawaiian-born companion. The skin of the tree was rough, and I couldn't help but be glad it was still hard and healthy.

“How many times did you fall out of this again?” I asked, one side of my mouth twitching upward into a laughing smirk. Izzy had always been a bit of a clumsy sort, and if my friends and I had gotten a quarter every time we watched her took a wrong step up there and end up back down with us, we'd be billionaires.

“Shut up!” Izzy spat back in feeble indignation, taking a swipe at my shoulder, obviously trying hard not to smile, “There're so many better things that happened here...”

I glanced at her and cocked an eyebrow. It was almost as if a telegraph raced from my head to hers (or perhaps the other way around). I giggled. “Izzy and Joe, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G...”

Life has moments hard to describe,
Feeling great and feeling alive,
Never coming down from this,
Mountain we're on...


“Remember the first time we saw them?”

I looked up at the late summer afternoon sky and nodded slightly, lazily tracking the movement of a wispy white cloud as it sailed onward, a single blemish in the clear atmosphere. Regardless of the external environment, I felt as if it was a perfect day. I had missed Izzy while I was away. “You mean for real, or in pictures?” I teased.

She hit me again, though this time she was laughing too. “Don't play stupid. Thanks to that piece of paper up in your living room, we have proof that you're not.”

“Ya' mean the one I Xeroxed?”

“I'm not speaking to you.”

Actually, that was fine with me. I liked talking to her, yes, but at the moment, I was perfectly content with just enjoying her homely presence. It was difficult to describe the way just having Izzy in the same room made me feel. It was as if I could get away with saying or doing just about anything I wanted and she would have my back no matter what the reaction was. I felt free, without care as to what the consequences may be.

Alive.

“Nick was staring at you.”

Always knowing we're gonna be fine,
Feeling great and feeling alive,
Never coming down from this,
Mountain we're on,
The view is so clear,
And it's crazy up here,
Life is amazing with you on the ride...


I smiled a little to myself. “He was not.”

“He was so!” Izzy insisted, crossing her arms pointedly across her chest and glaring at me in such seriousness that I wasn't sure if she was scolding me or teasing me, “I saw it with my own two eyes, yes I did! And ya' know what he was thinkin' about sayin'?”

I stifled a giggle at the sudden, unexpected addition of a Southern drawl to her normally soft, round tone that came from island living. I decided to humor my friend, blinking questioningly at her. “What was he gonna say, Izz?”

“He was gonna say, 'hi, I'm Nick Jonas and I'm going to marry you someday.'”

We don't wanna sleep,
Just wanna stay up,
There's so much to say,
And not enough hours in a day...


The day continued on like that. The two of us laughed and chattered away about days long gone and words that had floated away in the breeze quite some time ago, every once and a while giggling like the school girls that we wished we still were. And, like school girls, we talked about silly, frivolous things.

Old crushes that had never been spoken of to another soul, faded friends and enemies we never talked to anymore, and memories of a school that we would probably never set foot in again unless it were to accompany our children were only a few of those topics. Izzy, who had always been sentimental about relationships (whether they were her own or someone else's) reminded me of the time she and I had asked Joe and Nick to a Sadie Hawkins dance together. I recalled the moment in time where the two of us had literally ran into one another, thus entwining our lives (and eventually our hearts and souls, too) together.

The sky had darkened and the little cloud from before was long gone by the time we started on what had happened to us recently. I glanced up at the first few stars and shook my head. “God, I feel so old.”

“Sad that we're only in our twenties and already feel old.”

I gazed back at her curiously, easily distracted from the twinkling lights above. “Sad?” I repeated, yet another soft smile tugging at the corners of my lips, “I never said it was sad. I think it's cool that we still remember all that shit.”

Izzy blinked thoughtfully. “I've never really thought of it that way.”

We laugh 'till we cry,
Read each other's minds,
Live with a smile,
Make it all worthwhile,
Make it all worthwhile...


I sighed sleepily and leaned my back up against the trunk of the tree, tilting my head backward and exposing my neck to the milky light of the moon. I was tired; it was surprising just how much energy it took to stop laughing once one had already gotten started, and I'd laughed a lot since Izzy had gotten here.

“I missed you, Izz.” I said after a while, closing my eyes and making it that much more tempting to slip into dreamland.

“I was just thinking the same thing. I missed you too, Paige.”

Life has moments hard to describe,
Feeling great and feeling alive,
Never coming down from this,
Mountain we're on...
Always knowing we're gonna be fine,
Feeling great and feeling alive,
Never coming down from this,
Mountain we're on,
The view is so clear,
And it's crazy up here,
Life is amazing with you on the ride...


“Did it ever cross your mind that things were gonna wind up being like this?”

“Like what? You and I going to college thousands of miles away while Bec stays here and takes care of Cameron Jr.?” I asked, having not really wondered about that at all when I was younger but somehow knowing that was what she meant. I had been (and still was) a thinker, that much was true, but I tended to look lifetimes ahead rather than just a few years.

“Yeah,” Izzy answered softly, taking her place at my side as she too, rested her weight on the sturdy tree that had been growing since before we were born, “I always just kind of imagined us as teenagers forever, ya' know? Everything seemed clearer when we were kids and I just wanted it to stay that way.”

I almost laughed. That was the one huge difference between Izzy and I; she lived in the present, in the here and now of things, what she could see, hear, touch, taste, and smell right at that very moment. I however, preferred to look to the future and had always imagined what my life would be like several decades from now.

“Why look for clarity?” I asked, drowsily opening my eyes halfway, “If anything, I think it's easier to see now than it ever was. We have a better perspective of the things that're expected of us now that we've grown.”

No time to be lazy,
The journey is perfect,
The pace is so crazy,
The race is so worth it,
I will be with you,
We'll do this together,
Always together...


“Well, yeah...but...”

“But what?”

“I dunno,” Izzy said helplessly, “it's weird. Like just now when you said that, it just seemed to make perfect sense. But I can guarantee you that when I walk away, it won't.”

Life has moments hard to describe,
Feeling great and feeling alive,
Never coming down from this,
Mountain we're on,
(Mountain we're on...)

Always knowing we're gonna be fine,
Feeling great and feeling alive,
Never coming down from this,
Never comin' down,
Never comin' down,
Never comin' down (from this)...


That was a concept I could actually relate to. I'd heard many a folk say that the huge flaw in my thoughtfulness was my tendency to over think things. Sometimes, I turned an idea or a theory over and over in my head so much that it suddenly stopped making sense all together and I was worse off than when I'd started.

But more often than not, Izzy said the first thing that popped into her head. It was surprising just how much clearer some things were just by glancing at it once. Like a checker pattern; stare at it for too long and one's mind will become confused by all the lines, but merely look at it out of the corner of one's eye and it was plain and simple as anything could be.

“I know what you mean,” I said in final agreement, “but see, that's why we've been friends for so long.”

I could sense the confusion in her voice just as easily as I could tell there was no sun out at the moment. “Say what?”

I chuckled. Good old Izzy. “We balance each other out,” I explained, “I think too much and you don't think enough -”

I hadn't been finished, but no sooner had I said that did I receive a pop in the arm, making it six times she'd hit me that day. Or maybe it was seven...

Always knowing we're gonna be fine,
Feeling great and feeling alive,
Never coming down from this,
Mountain we're on,
(Never coming down from this...)


“You piss me off, but I think you're right,” Izzy grumbled in a tone that was not very grouchy at all, “I'd probably be lost without you, Paige.”

“And I you,” I replied, straightening out my neck and looking about to look back at the eyes that matched my own in color, “so don't you ever think that this is just a ride you can get off of.”

“Why would I ever want to, anyway?”

The view is so clear,
And it's crazy up here,
Life is amazing with you on the ride,
The pace is so crazy,
The race is so worth it,
Life is amazing with you on the ride.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I'm not sure how I feel about this one. On one hand, I think it's kind of cute and sort of liked trying something new here. But on the other, it kind of made me depressed. It used to be one of my favorite songs, but now my buddy's outgrown me.
Sign up to rate and review this story