Categories > Books > Lord of the Rings > Last Hope of Mankind

Chapter Ten

by FireChildSlytherin5 0 reviews

Estel age 11 has been captured by orcs. Why haven't they tortured him yet? Why did they take him to their village and treated his wounds? Was everything that he was taught about orcs since birth be...

Category: Lord of the Rings - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Horror,Romance - Characters: Aragorn,Elrond - Warnings: [!] [V] [R] - Published: 2008-12-03 - Updated: 2008-12-04 - 3224 words

0Unrated
Last Hope of Mankind


-


Summary:
Estel age 11 has been captured by orcs. Why haven't they tortured him yet? Why did they take him to their village and treated his wounds? Was everything that he was taught about orcs since birth been false all this time? Are they any different from elves, humans and any other beings? And why has this orc child keep pulling his hair as if wanting to play with him? What would Estel learn from them that would help him during the War with the Ring and when he is King? Or will he in the end be killed by the family that he only knows by calling him a traitor?

-

-

The language of friendship is not words but meanings.

—Henry David Thoreau

-


"Talking"
"Elfish and Black Speech"
"(Translating in either Elfish or Black Speech)"
'thoughts'

-

Chapter Ten

-


“Open the gates!” called out someone behind the gates in the very heart of Rivendell. “Lord Elrohir has returned!”

The gates opened, as Elrohir and the others behind him rode through it. Elrohir jumped of his horse, just as his father, Lord Elrond and his older brother, Elladan came running towards them. Elrohir looked ahead of them and saw Gilraen, Estel’s mother. A suddenly ping of guilt wash over him. Gilraen look at him, her eyes knowing that he couldn’t find her only son.

“Father.” Elrohir said slightly bowing at the sight of his father approaching him.

“You could not find him?” Elrond asked him. His dark eyes piercing his own.

“I am sorry Ada (father).”

Elrond sighed in grieve. “Then I have failed my brother.” He muttered in sadness, leaving his two sons.

At these words both his sons looked at each other in wonder. “Elladan, what does Elros got to do with Estel?” Elrohir dared to ask his brother.

Elladan looked at him, not knowing what to say. He himself doesn’t know what his father meant. “I do not know, brother.” He said. He then took left after his father.

Elrohir stood in the clearing, as his men behind him started to take care of the horses, leaving him alone.

Just then Gilraen, daughter of Dírhael, the mother Estel slowly walked up to him. Looking at her, Elrohir could feel her sorrow as she mourn the death of her son.

“I am sorry that I failed you, my lady.” Elrohir said to her in basic.

Gilraen said nothing.

What felt like forever, Gilraen then wrapped her arms around him into in hug. Shocked, Elrohir could do nothing. Why she is hugging him?

“I do not blame you, Elrohir.” Gilraen told him. Her voice ever so slightly quiver, her gray eyes threading to burst into tears. She let go of him. She only stood a head and half from his shoulders, for she was a short woman. “I know that Estel is alive. I can feel it.”

“My lady, I do not want to… hurt your feelings. But… there was no sign of Estel still living.”

Gilraen shook her head. “Nor did you find any signs that he is dead.”

That the true, to some point. They did find that pack of wolves dead in a clearing in the Forest. But nothing else.

“I will see him someday. Perhaps not now nor the next year. But we will. He is safe. I can feel it…”

Elrohir didn’t have the heart to tell h er that she is mistaken. Hearing this from her brought him hope that Estel is a still alive.

“I will not stop looking for him, Gilraen.” He told her. She looked at up at him. “I swear it.”

-
0o0o0o0o0o0o
-


Mokûrz followed the female orc as they both ran out from the tent leaving the two adults behind. The orc—Danica— if he remembers correctly, still grip his hand as they walked down the village. As they walk, they pass many orc like creatures which eyed them either curiosity or caution. Mokûrz gulped as a large orc slowly walked towards them.

Danica and Mokûrz stopped in front of the orc. The orc was tall, muscular build with fiery black eye and a clouded one. His hair was grayish white, something that Mokûrz never saw in orcs before. A sword was sling over the orc’s back. Scars covered the orc’s body, the thickest one come down from his left brow down through his cloudy eye and chin. Mokûrz wondered how the orc gotten it.

“Shar ash (Old One),” Danica said. “The shardâg (human child) is Kaghed’s bhûllûk (accept son), no need to get violent to the human.” At these words Mokûrz stare at the she-orc. What does she mean?

“He is not Warlord’s bhûllûk (accept son).” The orc hissed at orc-child.

“Azta, sing sha kul garmadh (1) (Kill him, you will be destroyed).”

At these words, the old orc glared at her and Mokûrz. He knew she was right. But having a human in the village angers him. The humans done nothing to them but try to destroy them. Why is the Warlord protecting this human child? The rumors are right; their Warlord is going to adopt this human! What outrage is this? What magic took over their Warlord?

“Remember orc-child. If this human-child betrays us, you will be the first to die by my hands. Your kranklob (mother) will not be able to protect you this time…” for that the old orc left.

Danica, who didn’t look threatened, glance back to Mokûrz who was paler then usual.

“Sing fraatûrz (You tired)?” Danica asked him.

“Nar rad (Not yet).” Mokûrz answered her, not knowing what to say.

Danica nodded. “Are you going to live with the Warlord for now on?” she asked him.

Mokûrz bit his bottom lip. “Yeah, think so.” He told her slowly. Is he really going to stay here with these orcs? Forever?

Danica grinned, cocking her head. “Until the Warlord has you as his bhûllûk (accept son) do you want to my friend?”

Does he really want this orc to be his friend? Mokûrz wondered to himself. Adar (father) did say he should make friends. “Akh (yes).” He said.

Danica smile grew (if that was possible) showing her shape teeth. Her firm grip on his hand tightened, swing it slightly side to side. Mokûrz bit his lip from hissing in pain showing—this lob-urck (she-orc) that he was in pain. He is a man, stronger then she and he will show her that he is not a sissy. If she wants to play, than play he will.

Mokûrz digged his fingernails into her hand, also gripping his grip tighter. Danica kept on grinning, squishing his fingers until they were blue. Mokûrz will not let the she-orc win.

Suddenly as fast as it started, Danica let go as did he. Danica’s hand was bruised and slightly bleeding from where his nails were been. It looked painful, but yet this orc-child looks at him with no pain in her eyes. Does orcs feel pain?

“Skaatir Mokûrz
(come on Estel).” She said grabbing his sore hand again.

-

Kaghed and Brura waited until the two younger children left. Kaghed turned towards the witch healer. Brura glanced at Kaghed when he side glanced at her eldest daughter, Adrienne who sat beside her.

“Lûb, ukhrad sing gashan. Bârzuga gor sing gashan. (Daughter, go now you will. Finish chores you will).”

Adrienne angrily glanced at her mother. How dare that witch order her around. She is not like her younger sister who would happily do women chores and obey each and every command from her. She is a lobmau (female warrior) by heart and soul; no one will control her, beside her Warlord that would command her. There will be no male in the future to bind her under his control. Soon, when winter comes she will go into her trials and will become a respected lobmau, if she survives the test that is.

Never will she bed herself to a male dominating over her; she will kill them before that would ever happen. She will not show weakness to anyone, nor will she love anyone in return, only feeling loyal to her tribe and Kingdom. She will not show such disgrace and frailty like her mother and her younger sister like many of the females in the tribes. The females, like the elves, can fight in battles much like their children can, but unlike the males and the other lobmaus (female warriors) they will forever be cursed to serve under their mates, for the eldest male is the head of the family.

Mutely Adrienne nodded at her mother and Warlord, knowing that until a male take her as his mate or her taking the warrior trails she must obey her mother without question. She turned and left.

“You daughter is displease with herself and you.” Kaghed noted watching the female orc as she left.

“Aye, she is. Wish she was male, she does.” Brura commented. “Such a pretty thing. Shame it is that she will never take on a mate nor have children of her own. Continue our bloodline Danica will when she comes to age. In winter, take the trials Adrienne wish. Will not stop her, much like her brothers, she is.” Brura said sadly.

Kaghed nodded, for he already knew this. Ever since birth, Adrienne had the soul of dominance such like all males do in their kind. Females like her are both bless and cursed, for females are created by the gods to give birth too many offspring and yield to their mates, be supportive to the male. It is uncommon for a female to viewed as male, but not unheard of. Kaghed knew that Adrienne will do the trails, survive is yet to known.

Danica is so unlike her older sister. She is a mother at heart and a warrior by soul, for whomever claims her has his mate in the future would be truly blessed. Kaghed felt a little sadness, thinking of his lack of having a mate for himself. The feeling left quickly as it came.

“Bothering you, what is?” Brura asked him, her unnatural coloured eyes looked at his own.

Kaghed sighed. “Do you think I’m doing what is best for our people? Taking in a human child? The others are not pleased. I fear if I do not take in Mokûrz as my bhûllûk (accept son) soon, he will be killed. Our people will perish if there is an uprising…”

Brura nodded. “Something to fear, that is.” She said nodding. “Before the moon turns black, Mokûrz must make a decision, he must. For whatever he chooses, will determine both his life and death. Our people will follow you; just as they did to your father and forefathers. For that they will obey you, even if they don’t agree with you. They trust you because you are your father’s son, not Karguk’s narkramplûk (refuse son).”

Kaghed already knew this. But hearing it told him, made his dilemma real. Why is he so connected to the human child? Why did the gods choose him? Why was he brought to them? Wouldn’t the elves be better caretakers, then him? Would his people still follow him to death, even after he accepts Mokûrz as his son?

He trusts Brura with his life and many others under his command. He and everyone else know that Brura have the Gift that is given to all females in her family. She is a witch healer, so much more.

Kaghed sighed. The two orcs sat in silence. Brura stood up walked toward one end of the tent, grabbing a basin into her hands, carefully carrying it back to the place in front of her Warlord.

Kaghed watch as the shatraug (witch) healer sat the large bowl down. The basin was circler, painted with ancient runes, which he couldn’t identify. The basin was filling with unnatural looking water that seemed not to move.

“The elfin witch of Lothlórien has a similar one, which is called the Mirror of Galadriel. This basin which is called the Echo of Moriquendi passed down to each daughter of my mother’s family, whom before used to look into the past, present and future, to help their people….”

Kaghed’s eyes slightly widen as Brura looked into it. He had heard about the Echo of Moriquendi from both from his father, Karguk and many others. This was the first time that Brura showed it to him.

“The future is uncertain, Mokûrz and yours.” Brura continued. Her eyes suddenly looked up at his own. “Dare to look, would you?”

The challenge that she given him was both haunting and tempting. Is he strong enough to look into the gods’ eyes?

Slowly he inched closer to the basin as the still water shifted…

-

The younger version of himself, stood still has his father, approached him and his mother. Around them many others was saying their last goodbye to their families.

His father wore his full armour, his sword, bow and quiver sling to his hip and back. He knelled in front of him, his hands on his shoulders. His father’s dark eyes met his own crimson ones. His father’s brother, Karguk stood slightly behind.


“Protect your mother.” His father told him.

Young Kaghed nodded. “Gashanizg krank
(I will father).” Kaghed promised.

-

The water shifted again, as another scene of his past was formed.

-

Karguk and the rest of the bands of orcs came back to the village months later. His father wasn‘t among them. Where was his father?

Young Kaghed ran out from their tent, his mother close behind. He ran past the other warriors as he searched for his father. He ignored the looks of his father’s men who watch him in suddenness and loathing towards his father’s brother. He stopped in front of his uncle who stood in the middle of the bands holding a blooded sword that wasn’t his own.

Karguk eyed his brother’s son indifferent, looked past him towards his brother’s mate. Kaghed could see lust in his uncle’s eyes, which made his blood boil in rage. Karguk pushed Kaghed roughly aside and walked up to his mother handing her the sword. For that very moment Kaghed knew that his father was dead.

Vazquez took her mate’s sword into her hands.

To this day, Kaghed remember the sad look on his mother’s face. Her eyes didn’t cry, for it wasn’t their ways. A dark shadow seemed to loom over head, as she glanced at her only son giving him a knowing look.

She will respect that her mate is now in the afterlife with their ancestors and their gods. She ignored the lustful look Karguk looked at her as he brutally took her hands into his own. Vazquez bit her lip as Karguk’s claws dig into her hand. She had no choice, it was their law; the eldest male in the family is the head, for that is Karguk. Until he is dead, Kaghed cannot be the leader; not yet. If the head of the family wish for the widow to be married to them, it is allowed.

Kaghed watched as Vazquez let Karguk take her into their home. Finally after the death of his brother, Karguk can finally have her for his own. For she was finally his, forever.

For that moment on, Karguk became Warlord and second mate of Vazquez.


-

Anger swiped through him as that memory became clearly within his mind once again. He should’ve known that his father was killed by his brother’s own hands all those years and years ago. He promised his father that he would protect her. And he failed. Watching of what the spirit water shown him, showing him his failure. Not again will he fail.

The water again rippled.

-

Karguk was cruel to him and his mother.

Kaghed did everything he could to please him enough that he wouldn’t be so cruel, but nothing worked. Every night he was forced to do women’s chores, work as a common human slave, as Karguk beat him for his failures forcing his mother to watch. Every night Kaghed lay on his lanky mat on the other side of the tent. His bed was poorly made with thin blanket, even in winter. The only comfort he had during the cold night was the dim coals in the fireplace.

Each night he prayed to the gods to protect his mother, hearing her cries and yelps has Karguk abused his title as her mate. Every night his mother was raped by Karguk.

Kaghed knew that Karguk wanted his mother pregnant, so when his mother gives birth to his brother or sister, Karguk would have a reason to kill him. And his mother knew it.

Kaghed knew that many times Karguk did in fact impregnate his mother. It was their secret. Each time she got pregnant, she would eat a certain herb, killing the child within her. She will not let Karguk take her son’s throne and give birth to his children, giving birth to ill willed children into the world.

Kaghed cringe, placing his hands over his ears trying to mute off the noise as his mother forced her screams within herself as Karguk thrust into her time and time again.

When will it ever stop?


(End of Chapter)


(1) garmadh:
in the Black Speech its “ruin”, however I used the word for destroyed.

Words: 3,717

Author’s Notes: I know this chapter was very dark. I figured you should know where Kaghed came from and why he is confused about Estel and the reason why he won’t take on a wife. The story behind the mysterious Karguk, the younger brother of Kaghed’s father. The next chapter we still go into the memories of Kaghed….

Below are lists that WILL be repeated many times in this story and the sequel(s).

Bhûllûk (accept son)

Lobmau (female warrior)

Loburuk (female orc)

Lûb (daughter)

Lûk (son)

Shardâg (human child)

Shatraug (witch)

Urukdâg (orc child)

“Good Orc(s) Challenge”: To any Authors out there those wish to do this Challenge. The story must be about one or group(s) of orcs that are "good", different from the Orcs that we see from the movies & books. In the story, you must show the way these orcs live, their families and their way of life, such as: their customs, their religion etc. Also make a believable excuse WHY and HOW these orcs are "good". In this Challenge, you must write a reasonable way to get these orcs to help any LotR Character that you choose; doesn't matter where in the time line, it is your choice. The Plot of the story is also your choice. This Challenge is NOT a one-shot. It MUST be a more than one chapter story. Good luck.

Read and Review!

—FireChildSlytherin5
Sign up to rate and review this story