Categories > Anime/Manga > Gundam Wing > Chronicles of a Carnival

002: Play Another Day

by Hincaru 0 reviews

You want to know why you should never leave Duo Maxwell alone for to long? One mistake on the Gundam guys part and now they are in for one crazy week

Category: Gundam Wing - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Characters: Duo,Heero,Quatre,Trowa,Wufei,Zechs - Published: 2008-12-15 - Updated: 2008-12-16 - 2952 words

1Funny
Disclaimers: Gundam Wing characters do not in any way belong to me. The lyrics of "Bleed it Out" and the CD Minutes to Midnight do not in any way belong to me, it all belongs to Linkin Park (God Bless Linkin Park!!!), and I do not own Freddie or Jason, I do not own Gundam Seed, and I do not own James Bond, I am not making money off of any of these things.

002: Play Another Day:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Duo was gnawing on the head of his Death Scythe plushie, covered with his 'Gundam Seed' blanket. The day before had been a busy one, but despite that fact the light suddenly switched on. He shut his eyes tighter, grumbling his displeasure and covering his head with his comforter.
"Duo! It is noon Please, get up! The meeting is today and we're already late!" Quatre said, his hand still on the light switch.

"We just had a meeting! What coulda changed in three days?!"

Quatre just smiled and walked away.

Damn he's good Duo thought, knowing that Quatre had won that battle.

He rolled out of bed and found himself still in his clothes. He threw his plushie across the room and stood, stumbling out of his room and trying to fix his messy braid, but when he looked up everyone was already half way out the door.

It's not to late..if I can just sneak back...

He slowly back stepped, his hands still in his hair, when Heero turned and stared at him.

"Are you coming?"

'Damn'

"Do I have to?"

"Yes."

"We just had a meeting, can't I just go back to bed?!"

"No."

Duo pouted for a moment, but then he got an idea.

"Vacation!"

"What are you saying Maxwell?" Wufei said, not hiding that he was getting agitated.

"Yeah! I have to have some vacation time waiting for me, I have to!"

"Duo!" Heero said sternly.

"Well, it couldn't hurt." Quatre said suddenly.

"Thank you!" Duo said loudly, pointing at his blonde friend.

Quatre turned and looked at the rest of the group.

"I could fill him in on everything we talk about today."

It was quiet for a moment, but a loud agitated sigh broke the silence.

"He won't last!" Wufei said. "Do you really trust him by himself for 10 hours?!"

"Whoa whoa, no worries Wu-man!" Duo replied quickly so no one could think his question through. "I didn't get any sleep last night! All I want to do is go to bed."

Silence again.

"Fine. Let's go, we're late." Heero demanded.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

Everyone said their farewells and Duo threw himself back on the couch, relaxing.

"Finally, a day of rest and relaxation! No explosions, no Relena, no crazy eyebrows. Oh yeah!"

You could hear the car pull out of the driveway. Duo smiled and closed his eyes.

After only a few moments go by Duo's body yanks, his eyes shoot open, and he jumps to his feet.

"I gotta get outta here. The walls are closing in are me!"

Duo grabbed his hat and quickly left the house, shoving his hands in his pockets and running in the opposite direction of the car.

When he felt that he had ran far enough he stretched, looking at the buildings around him.

"I don't even know where I am!!!!" Duo yelled at the sky. "What am I supposed to do here?!!!"

He kicked an imaginary rock and began waking in a random direction, his eyes on the ground, yawning frequently, and starting to wish he would have stayed home and went to sleep, but then a thick smell caught his attention.

Funnel Cakes, hot dogs, lemonade...COTTON CANDY!!

"CARNIVAL!!" He spun around and stared at a huge carnival, his eyes glittered like a child's and he pranced in.

As he was running around, poking everything, repeatedly saying "Oh!!", "Lookie!", "What's that?", and "I want it!", he stumbled across the most heavenly thing he had ever seen. He ran up and grabbed it, reading it aloud in a shaky whisper.

"20 pounds of cotton candy..."

Drooling like a baby, he lifted it off of it's hook and went to take off with it, but then he heard a very unfamiliar voice speak loudly.

"Ten dollars."

Duo turned and faced the owner of the voice, the worker at the booth. It was a very ugly owner, he looked like Freddie and Jason had a baby and dropped him off at the carnival. If you looked up the word 'carnie' you would see a picture of this guy.

"Ten dollars." He repeated.

Duo blinked away from the guy so he could stop starring, but Duo would have kicked Trowa in his stomach for this God sent bag of candy, so he sifted the bag to one hand and stuck his hand in his pocket, and he looked at what was in his hand.

Monopoly money...? What the hell did I do last night?

Duo's eyes grew shifty, debating on what he should do, until finally resorting to his childhood instincts by throwing the play money at the carnie and running away with the candy.

He was a good distance away before he heard the carnie yell something, but Duo couldn't see the booth at all. Very quickly did he forget about the carnie though, for the next thing he saw amazed him. A two story carousal. His big cobalt eyes stared in awe, like he had never seen anything like it. Brightly colored horses, and carriages, and dinosaurs, and cheetahs, and...and! He jumped over the fence and walked inconspicuously up the stairs to the second story and took a seat in a bright green carriage, which was actually large enough o hide both Duo and his huge bag of cotton candy. He tucked himself in just in time, because just as he got comfortable he heard that frightening voice again, Duo turned and looked down over the back of his carriage and there he saw the horror movie carnie from before.

eep

Duo spun and sat up straight, and hid the cotton candy in a little compartment by his feet. Thinking fast Duo piled his braid on top of his head and placed his hat over it. No sooner did he get situated did he hear the gears turning and a dining carnival song start and the carousal started spinning.

"Whooooo!"

He didn't last long with that cotton candy at his feet, only a few moments after the ride started he tore open the top of the bag and put a handful of bright yellow, pink, and blue fluff in his mouth, delighted when it melted in his mouth. The sugar kicked in unusually quick, and Duo danced and squirmed in his seat, feeling like he would explode from excitement, and yet he had nothing to be excited about.

"Whoooooohoooo! FASTER!" he yelled as he stuffed another handful of candy in his mouth. He bounced in his chair, shoving more and more fluff into his mouth, but as the ride went on Duo grew more and more excitable, and more and more bored with the music they were playing. So he stood up and walked to the control room in the center of the carousal. When he shut the door behind him he dropped his cotton candy on a random machine and scanned the room for a CD player. Finally he saw it, an older looking thing.

"Got'cha."

He looked around and found a stack of CDs, tumbling through them to find something that interested him.

"No, nah, nope, nu oh, ew, gross, bean cakes, FOUND ONE!"

Quickly Duo opened the CD player, throwing the carnival music behind him, and replacing it with Linkin Park's Minutes to Midnight, he changed it to song number three, switched the CD player's mode to 'repeat CD', grabbed his bag of candy, opened the door, and locked it behind him. He ran quickly back to his seat so no one would suspect him, but as he shoved another handful of cotton candy into his mouth he starting singing the song as loud as he could.

"Here we go for the hundredth time, hand grenade pins in every line, throw 'em up and let something shine, going out of my FUCING MIND!"

The carousal stopped and people were getting off, but the music didn't stop, as Duo followed the line of insulted people out of the gate he was screaming the lyrics.

"FILTHY MOUTH, NO EXCUSE, FIND A NEW PLACE TO HANG THIS NOOSE..." he stopped when he looked across the way and saw a game he hadn't played in years.

"AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!Shooting game!!!"

His heart was racing from all the sugar and he ran up to the water gun game. He stared for a moment at how realistic the guns were, and then he smiled up at the carnie kid running the booth.

"How 'bout that carousel?" Duo laughed.

"I know." He replied, "But lookie here. No one has won this game yet, you wanna give it a try?"

that's a dumb question.

"Hell Yeah!!" but then he realized that he didn't have any money.

Damn it...think fast, think fast...

"Make ya a deal!" Duo said quickly. "I bet you that not only could I shoot all of the targets, but I can shoot them all in 30 seconds or less!"

"Whoa-oh! What're we betting here?"

"If I win you give me one of those guns and that big orange monkey."

"And if you lose?"

"I'll give you a hundred dollars."

'Damn it!! Money was the problem in the first place!!!'

"It's a deal!"

Damn it.

Duo closely examined the gun, and his targets. Ten targets five feet away, seven targets ten feet away, thirty seconds, only fifteen pounds of cotton candy left, and a big orange monkey on the line.

Bring it on.

"Tell me when." Duo said, positioning himself with the gun, and shoving another handful of fluff into his mouth.

"Go!"

One by one Duo shot them down, the first ten in 4.08 seconds, and the final seven in 9.02 seconds.

"BOOYA! Pay up mayafaya!!"

"Daaaaaammmmmnnn!" the carnie replied, while throwing the four foot tall monkey at Duo while telling him to keep the gun.

"Woot!!" Duo put the gun in his belt and hooked the monkey's velcro hands around his neck so it would hang down on his back.

"Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh Mr. Monkey Face! I'll name you Heero, hold on tight Heero!" and he took off down the path.

Next stop, funnel cake. A flick of the wrist as he passed the booth and he had one, and more over no one noticed. He sat at an empty table, hearing Linkin Park in the distance and the ugly carnie still trying to find him, all the other workers trying to pry open the door on the carousal. He couldn't help but laugh, and then he buried his face in the funnel cake. You could describe it more accurately as inhaling the cake rather then eating it, but then Duo heard his favorite noise. The sound of a crash.

"BOOM!!! Bumper CARS!!! Let's go Heero."

He took off towards the bumper cars, shoving another handful of cotton candy in his mouth, his eyes twitching from his over dose of sugar, but Duo ignored it as he jumped the fence and ran over to an empty car, strapping in and slamming his foot down on the petal.

"WhooooOOOOOOOO!!"

He ran into everything that was in his way, other drivers, walls, parked cars...but once he hit another person so hard that his car flew back and the velcro on Heero's hands gave out and he went flying.

"NOOOOO!!! MAN DOWN!!"

Duo jumped out of his car and ran over to him and being drunk off of sugar he fell to his knees, picking him up slowly, and holding him to his chest. A worker was walking towards him yelling at him, but Duo just pulled out the realistic looking water gun and pointed it at the guy.

"Back off can't you see he's hurt?!!"

Everyone started running at the sight of the gun and Duo joined them, hiding the gun again. After the worker couldn't see him any more he wandered away from the group. He searched his pockets and found his dark lens sun glasses and he put them on, despite the fact that the sun was dimming slowly, and it was getting darker by the minute.

As he was walking two cops in a go cart type vehicle drove up to him because there were so few people left after all of the happenings.

"Excuse me, sir?" the tiny cop said.

"Yesssss?" Duo replied, trying to remain clam and hide his sugar high.

"Have you seen anyone suspicious tonight?"

"Yes, actually! It was this little Chinese guy, about this tall, black shoulder length hair tied back into a pony tail! I saw a gun in his belt!"

"Do you know his name, sir?"

How could I know the guy's name, geeze people are dumb.

"Chang Wufei."

The cops turned and drove away, Duo snickered under his breath, using all of his will power not to laugh out loud.

One more ride. Just one more and Duo will go home. The Ferris Wheel. He climbed into the bottom seat and secured himself. Since he was the only person on the ride when he requested to stop at the top the worker listened. When he was at the top he re-velcroed Heero's hands around his neck, took another huge bite of cotton candy, and avoided bouncing and tipping the seat over.

The city was tiny, so you could see literally the whole thing from that Ferris wheel, though the city couldn't take all of the credit, the ride was enormous, towering over everything in the city. It made Duo wonder how he missed the carnival in the first place. He looked down at the mess he had made of the place, workers running around, cops every where, Linkin Park still blasted, bumper cars knocked over, it was the most fun he had had in forever.

Continuously munching on the cotton candy he didn't pay much attention to anything else, until he saw something that terrified him. Their car...

"They...are almost home..."

Duo stood and rocked in his seat screaming.

"Get me down!! Get me DOWN!!"

(at that same moment)

"Do you see that?" Trowa said from the driver's seat.

"Oh my! Why is that guy rocking back and forth! Do you think he is trying to kill himself?" Quatre said, sitting in the passenger's seat.

"What a fool." Heero said quietly, sitting behind Trowa.

"I bet it's Maxwell..." Wufei said half joking from the remaining seat.

(back to Duo)

"GET ME DOWN!!!"

The worker made the ride move as fast as it could, but Duo jumped off of the ride before he ever actually got to the bottom. He took off running, pumping his legs as hard as he could, and he didn't stop until he arrived in the house.

He ran through the front door, throwing his hat at the hat rack, and jumping into his room. He threw all of his stuff into his closet and slammed it's door shut. Quickly he removed his glasses and put them on his dresser, then he pounced onto his bed and tried to calm his heart, but then he heard their car pull up.

Oh shit.

He didn't have his heart beat under control until the jingle of the keys were past the they were walking through the door.

"Duuuuooooooooooooo!!" Quatre called.

Not long after, all four of them walked into his room. They looked around at his tidy mess of a room, nothing suspicious.

"Shot the hell out of your thoughts Wufei, he was here asleep." Heero said, very tired.

"I was half joking Yuy." he replied.

"Heyyy guys." Duo said in a weak voice. "Meeting over?"

"Yeah, but you missed it, as we were driving home this crazy person was at the top of the ferris wheel in a carnival in the middle of the city and he was screaming and trying to tip his whole seat over! Wufei thought it was you."

"Ehhhhhhh...heh heh heh.." Duo laughed nervously.

"Hold on.." Wufei said, his eyes squinting.

Oh shit, he knows...

"Why do you have a huge bag of cotton candy by your bed?" Wufei said glaring at him.

Duo looked at it in horror as it laid by his bed, but suddenly the door bell rang. They all formed a line and walked to the door. Wufei opened it.

It was the cops.

"Chang Wufei" one said in monotone.

"...yeah."

They pushed and pulled him until he was turned with his back to the cops, facing the rest of his comrades. They were cuffing him.

"Wh-what is this, what're you doing? THIS IS INJUSTICE!!"

As they pulled him away, Duo ran to the door, trying to look completely surprised by what was happening, but failing horribly. He broke down laughing, leaning his back on the wall and sliding down it, tears rolling down his face.

"I left...and then I...heh heh...and they believed...Oh my God!! I love this vacation thing...I can't believe!!" Duo couldn't breath, holding his stomach he just sat in the door way. Wufei's mouth was opened wide, and then he was glaring at him. The last thing they heard before they closed the car door was:

"Duo you ASS HOLE!!"


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The morals of the story:
Never leave Duo alone,

Always blame it on your chinese friend,

and most of all:

Eat ALL the cotton candy AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!

Hincaru
Sign up to rate and review this story