Categories > Original > Drama > Beat of Their Own Drums

If We Were a Movie

by Alcatraz 0 reviews

What happens when you end up falling in love with your best friend? Ollie has to face that question when Kevin appears to have met his dream girl. Song used: Hannah Montana's "If We Were a Movie"

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor,Romance - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-12-25 - Updated: 2008-12-25 - 2283 words

0Unrated
A/N: 'Kay, so this is number two of my long list of wnter break oneshots. I know how much you all hate this song, but I think I managed to make this one a pretty thoughtful piece of work, same with "Right Here."

Disclaimer: I do not own the lyrics to "If We Were a Movie"

Song Used: Hannah Montana's "If We Were a Movie"


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forty: If We Were a Movie
Puppet: Olivia Rokit


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh oh,
There you go again talking cinematic,
Yeah, you,
You're charming,
Got everybody starstruck,
I know how you always seem to go,
For the obvious instead of me,
But get a ticket and you'll see...


Sometimes I really hated him.

Sometimes all I really wanted to do was take a wrench to the face that everyone seemed to think was perfect, or maybe show up at their house one day, completely unrecognizable thanks to my lycanthropy, and mangle his hands and fingers so badly he could never play his stupid guitar ever again.

But then again, it was only the animal in me that wanted to see him bleed for the hurt he'd caused me over the past few months. I wasn't completely psychotic, contrary to popular belief. The human side of me, the one that oft times had trouble surfacing because I liked the beastly part a lot more, just wanted him to see me.

Lately, Kevin Jonas had been feeling lonely. I could tell by the way he looked wistfully after some of the pretty girls on campus when we ate lunch, and how he was constantly asking me how Joe and Izzy were doing as if our younger siblings' social lives somehow mattered to him. I snorted at the thought. The greedy boy already had thousands (and counting) fan girls following eagerly at his and his brothers' heels; like he really needed any more attention than that!

But he still looked. He still asked. I still snorted in distaste, but as the days continued to go by, I felt less and less enthusiastic about my annoyance.

Irritation turned into anger, and anger eventually dissolved into hurt when I realized that I'd allowed myself to fall in love with the stupid bastard. With a scornful laugh at myself, I realized that I made more transformations than just the one from a human to a wolf and back again. I'd gone from being his crazy, boyish friend to a jealous, infatuated crusher.

Actually, I wasn't really completely in the 'hurt' phase. I was caught somewhere in between being furious at him for stealing something of mine and upset because I knew he wasn't going to do anything with it. It was tough, after all. I didn't want to mope around because that wasn't who I was, but it was so hard not to when I knew that the only reason he hadn't asked me to have dinner with him was because I was both a) not as pretty as those other girls, and b) harder to handle than they were, too.

I was some sort of monster to him, I knew, even though we had a mutual friendship. I was a bit like a gargoyle to him, as they are trusted only because they are supposedly supposed to guard places from evil spirits, not because they're friendly or attractive.

But I hoped and waited for the day he'd discover a deeper connection between us. It was so pathetically human of me to think that maybe there was a chance, but I hoped and waited.

If we were a movie,
You'd be the right guy,
And I'd be the best friend,
That you fall in love with,
In the end we'd be laughing,
Watching the sunset,
Fade to black, show the names,
Play the happy song...


“Do you have any idea how Izzy an' Joe are doing?”

I tossed him a contemptuous glance from over the rim of my soda can, hating him for throwing that damn question out into our conversation again. It was a warm, beautiful day and the two of us were sitting outside the entrance under a tree. Normally, I probably would've been basking in the sunlight and wishing my pale skin didn't burn so easily, but I really wasn't feeling very sunny. I really just wanted to eat my lunch (which was some cold pizza from the night before) in peace, but Kevin had decided that he wanted to come sit with me.

I guess I couldn't be too disappointed.

But I didn't feel like humoring him like another girl would, either, so with a voice dripping in sarcasm I answered. “Joe proposed.”

Kevin's face twisted up with such shock and he bent over a little, choking slightly on the piece of whatever-it-was (I couldn't really tell; it'd been smashed by something beyond recognition) he was eating. “Wh-what?!”

I giggled sadistically, though I couldn't help but be worried about him; was he really dumb enough to believe me? “Yeah,” I answered, both pleased and surprised that he hadn't been able to pick up on the obvious tone of voice I'd been using, “I think they said they were planning for the wedding to be in December.”

Thankfully (for his sake), he realized that I was only jerking him around. Coughing still, he hit his own chest a couple of times as if that would help clear his throat. The red cleared from his face and it went back to its normal, somewhat pale hue, but his eyes were still wide and surprised. I almost felt bad for scaring him like that.

Almost.

“Thanks, Ollie,” he said once he was able to speak, laughing in spite of the fact he was trying to be stern with me, “nearly choke me to death, why don'cha.”

I smiled in mock innocence. “You're the one who believed me.”

The two of us laughed together in what seemed like the first time in a long time, and I realized just how much I really liked hearing our voices mesh together like that.

I could only hope that he did too.

Yeah, yeah,
When you call me,
I can hear it in your voice,
Oh, sure,
Wanna see me and tell me all about her,
La, la,
I'll be acting through my tears,
Guess you'll never know that I should win,
An Oscar for this scene I'm in...


“Hey, Ollie. Where are you?”

I looked up at the creaky ceiling of the garage, almost smiling ruefully at the sight of one of the lights flickering weakly. “At home,” I answered, wondering why it was that none of my younger siblings had come out to spend some time with me as they usually did, “why? Did Joe die?”

He laughed. I instantly could tell that something was up. Kevin never laughed whenever I made fun of Joe. “No,” he answered once his little giggle fit was over, “I just want to come see you...”

I hated the way my heart fluttered at those words, but I hated him even more after hearing the rest of the sentence.

“...because I think I've met someone special and was wondering if you know anything about her.”

I bristled and was glad for the fact that he couldn't see me. Of course he wants to see me, just so he can wave it in my face that this girl is so much better than I am.

Not having the heart to be angry, I faked interest. “Awesome! Just come on by; the garage door's open.”

If we were a movie,
You'd be the right guy,
And I'd be the best friend,
That you fall in love with,
In the end we'd be laughing,
Watching the sunset,
Fade to black, show the names,
Play the happy song...


Though I had originally came into the garage to do some work on my car, I couldn't think straight enough to remember which piece went where and decided it was just safer not to mess with any of it. I simply paced angrily back and forth, brooding and stewing as I waited for Kevin to show up. It really wasn't fair for him to do this sort of thing to me.

I thought about saying something, but quickly dismissed the idea. It was too late now. He had already 'met someone special.' I wondered who this girl was. Was she pretty? A fan girl? A nice kid? Did she like his music, or despise it?

One thing was for sure; she hadn't spent as much time with him as I had.

Wish I could tell you there's a twist,
Some kind of hero in disguise,
And we're together,
It's for real, now playing,
Wish I could tell you there's a kiss,
Like something more than in my mind,
I see it could be amazing...


Jesus. Just how many girls had been in this position before? I was only one out of...what, thousands? Millions?

It was a very rare thing for me to feel like I was ordinary, but when I did it bugged the absolute Hell out of me. I tried so hard to be different, to be a real person and not one of the silly floozies around me, and when all my work seemed to be for nothing I felt like I'd just wasted all of my time.

I didn't want to be in love. Not with him. Not with my best friend. Not with Kevin Jonas.

Did any of those girls actually win the guy's heart in the end? I paused my pacing for just a moment, my vision clouding over slightly as I pondered the question. Was there always a chance of some twist of fate? Could there be something there, some sort of blessing in disguise, that would make me stop being so mad at him? Was there something I could do that he would notice? Could I make him decide I was worth his time?

With a frustrated sigh I tapped anxiously at the hood of my car. I honestly didn't mean for it to happen, but all of a sudden I just had this image of Kevin and I standing here in the garage, his hands on my hips and my arms around his neck, our lips locked in a kiss that would never happen.

Damn imagination.

If we were a movie,
You'd be the right guy,
And I'd be the best friend,
That you fall in love with,
In the end we'd be laughing,
Watching the sunset,
Fade to black, show the names,
Play the happy song...


After what seemed like hours Kevin's powder blue Mustang rumbled up to the curb and the curly-haired guitarist climbed out. I looked over, smiled and waved, hoping to seem like I hadn't been mulling over what he'd said earlier. He was all smiles, as I'd expected him to be, and waved back as he bounded up the driveway.

What I hadn't expected was for him to give me a big, friendly hug when he reached me. “Hey there!” he greeted warmly, then with a little laugh added, “long time, no see?”

I wanted to laugh at his joke, but I was too absorbed in the intoxicating security of having his arms around me. He let go sooner than I would've liked. “So,” I said evenly, “who's this girl?”

If we were a movie,
You'd be the right guy,
And I'd be the best friend,
That you fall in love with,
In the end we'd be laughing,
Watching the sunset,
Fade to black, show the names,
Play the happy song...


Kevin's face looked about ready to split in half, his smile was so big. “Well, she's my age,” he said, as if that would somehow answer all of my questions, “and she has a bunch of younger siblings, just like I do.”

Just like we do, you mean. I thought to myself, though I decided it was a better idea to just keep my mouth shut. Granted, only one of my three younger siblings was actually blood related to me, but Izzy and Faith were my sisters all the same. “Go on.” I prodded, wanting to know all about this girl while hating her for catching his attention all at once.

His eyes glittered. It was obvious I'd just invited him to rant, so I kept quiet and let my mind take in the new information in silence “She's a soccer nut and she's kind of tall...”

Sounds like she and I have more in common than I'd like.

“She hates snow...”

That makes us two of a kind, doesn't it?

“She loves cars and her favorite color is red...”

Wait a minute.

Almost as soon as the realization struck me, Kevin's hands found my shoulders and his smile got even wider, as if that was even possible. He winked broadly at me. “I can't tell you her name, though, 'cause then I don't want you to go telling my little secret.”

For just a moment, I was unsure if I wanted to punch him for making me brood like that or if I wanted to kiss him for giving me the movie moment I never thought existed.

I decided I wanted to kiss him.

If we were a movie,
You'd be the right guy,
And I'd be the best friend,
That you fall in love with,
In the end we'd be laughing,
Watching the sunset,
Fade to black, show the names,
Play the happy song.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: MWAHAHAHAHAHA! Huzzah for surprise endings! Well...actually, maybe it wasn't so surprising. I liked writing it, though, and I thought it was a pretty clever ending. Humor me, will ya'?
Sign up to rate and review this story