Categories > Original > Drama > Beat of Their Own Drums

Single

by Alcatraz 0 reviews

A oneshot dedicated to girl power. After an odd encounter with a guy at a soccer game, Ollie reflects on the twistedness of society. Song used: Natasha Bedingfield's "Single"

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-12-25 - Updated: 2008-12-25 - 2387 words

0Unrated
A/N: This'll be the fourth one I've written over break and it's probably one of my favorites. I really like the dialogue in this one, but you guys'll just have to see for yourself if it's any good or not.

Disclaimer: I do not own the lyrics to "Single"

Song Used: Natasha Bedingfield's "Single"


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forty-Two: Single
Puppet: Olivia Rokit


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah yeah that's right,
All you single people out there,
This is for you...


Jesus, I hated society.

Actually, it was really more humans that I hated. We were such a stupid, petty race, obsessed with these earthly possessions that wouldn't matter anymore once they were dead. We didn't really think we could spend money up (or down, depending on the type of person) there, did we? We didn't really think that that shiny new car would matter, did we?

Over the course of my young life (I'd been 18 for almost nine months), I'd learned that wolves were superior. They only took as much as they needed, and yet, even then, there were pack mates who didn't get a chance to eat. What did that say about us, if we took more than we really needed on a daily basis? How many of our own kind were starving?

Money, food, gadgets, mansions...

Though the thing that bothered me most really dealt more with the female population of the world (although I suppose males too, once again depending on the person). What was it, exactly?

Guys. I really hated how if a girl didn't have a boyfriend, she had to get one soon if she wanted to be part of the norm, or maybe she was considered ugly or unapproachable. It was sad, really, and I was really starting to get pissed off about it.

And no, this has nothing to do with the fact that I didn't have a guy to hang on.

I'm not waitin' around for a man to save me,
('Cause I'm happy where I am),
Don't depend on a guy to validate me,
(No, no),
I don't need to be anyone's baby,
(Is that so hard to understand?)
No I don't need another half to make me whole...


It was things like that that really made me glad that I didn't have very many friends who were girls. Most of my buddies were guys around the shop and the track.

But then again, I suppose I did have some friends on the soccer team. Tess, who was our captain and a small, nimble dark-haired, dark-eyed girl, would make it a point to pick out a cute guy in the crowd and say, “what do ya' think of that one, 'Liv?”

...To which I usually replied without bothering to look, “fine. Help yourself.”

She wasn't the only one, either. Melissa and Stevie loved to tease me, too. More than once I'd just flipped them the bird and ignored them for the rest of the game.

Make your move if you want doesn't mean I will or won't,
I'm free to make my mind up you either got it or you don't...


“Hey, #11!”

I glanced up and swiped the excess water from my mouth with the back of my hand. At first, it was hard to see who had spoken, but I knew whoever it was was talking to me; I was the only one there with a big '11' on my back.

Then I spotted him; a young guy who was probably 17 or 18 with spiked blond hair and light eyes, waving at me as he drew nearer and nearer to the bench. I didn't know who he was, so with a slight tilt of my eyebrows decided against paying him much attention. I took another long drink from my water bottle, wishing it wasn't so Goddamned hot out here.

He didn't give up so easily, unfortunately. A tap on my shoulder caused me to instinctively look up, only to meet the stranger's pale eyes once more. Now that he was closer, I could see that he had freckles sprinkled over his cheek bones and nose and he had young, boyish look to him, even though it was obvious he was older than he looked by the way he held himself. “Can I help you?” I asked, narrowing my eyes a little.

“Hi,” he said with a smile that made me think of an alligator, “I'm Trent. My friends and I were talking, and we were wondering: is it true you soccer players can go for 90 minutes and know 11 different positions?”

He was not talking about soccer.

A shocked, horrified silence enveloped the other girls, who had been chattering away about our victory.

This is my current single status,
My declaration of independence,
There's no way I'm tradin' places,
Right a star's in the ascendant...


Somehow, I managed to keep myself from launching myself at him and earning myself a life sentence for murder. I did, however, find a good use for my water bottle.

Trent, if that was even his real name, ran away with his tail between his legs and a black eye he probably wasn't going to forget anytime soon. I glared after him but didn't bother to shout threats at his back; I was pretty sure he'd learned his lesson, and I really didn't want to make him think I'd given him that much thought.

Tess bent down and picked up the thick plastic bottle, a thoughtful frown curling her mouth in an upside down smile. I rolled my eyes; great, I was probably in for some weird lecture about hurting one of the fans. “You really need to learn how to control yourself, 'Liv,” the black-haired girl chided, “that poor guy had a lot of guts to come up and do that.”

I almost hurled something at her, too, appalled that she would ever imply that that vulgar boy had meant well. “Yeah, well, I'm not interested.”

I'm single,
(Right now),
That's how I wanna be,
I'm single,
(Right now),
That's how I wanna be...


“He was cute,” Tess commented, foolishly rearming me if I were to let my fury flare again, “you didn't really have to try and kill him.”

I chuckled scornfully, casting a careless glance over my shoulder just to make sure that Trent was gone for good. Sure, he had been cute, but to have the audacity to come up to a random stranger and say something like that? Just how stupid was Tess? Did she really think that whatever that kid had wanted was going to be healthy?

“Actually, I think he got off pretty easy,” I said with a soft growl in my voice. I wouldn't hurt Tess, but maybe there was a chance I could intimidate her into shutting up, “if it had been you, I doubt you would've done anything different.”

Stevie laughed a little. “Oh yeah, 'cause I've definitely wicked a bottle at a guy for a lame pick-up line before.”

I had half a mind to just get up and walk away, but I stayed where I was, eyes narrowed with contempt and lips curled into an almost animal-like snarl of distaste. “Whatever. It's not like I'm actually looking for that kind of shit, anyway.”

I paused, then added. “Or any kind of shit, really.”

Ah yeah uh huh that's right...

Later that day when I came home, my little sister and older brother were sitting out in the front yard of my house. I looked for Charlie to Izzy curiously as I got out of the car, wondering what they could possibly want. I was still a little mad about earlier and really wasn't in the mood the deal with those two.

“Hey Ollie!” Both of them greeted brightly, Izzy more so than Charlie.

“Hi guys.” I said despondently, twirling the ring of my keys around my finger and not really looking at either of them.

“What's the matter with you?” Izzy asked, almost instantly picking up on my sour mood. She peered at me curiously, while Charlie just rolled his brown eyes. It was ironic, really, that Charlie was the only one of my siblings who was actually blood related to me, and yet Faith and Izzy seemed a lot more interested in what I did and how I was.

I glanced at each of them again, then pressed my lips together. It was probably better to just leave the entire incident alone. “Promise me this, Char,” I muttered in ill temper, “don't sue the girl who slaps you 'cause you tried a lame pick-up line, 'kay?”

Don't need to be on somebody's arm to look good,
(I like who I am),
I'm not saying I don't wanna fall in love 'cause I would,
I'm not gonna get hooked up just 'cause you say I should,
(Can't romance on demand),
I'm gonna wait so I'm sorry if you misunderstood...


“You should ask Kevin out!”

Oh, Jesus, not again. I rolled my eyes up toward the ceiling bright, colorful ceiling of the nightclub Stevie and Tess had dragged me out to, trying hard not to let the flashing colors screw with my head. Just the idea of asking Kevin, the Kevin Jonas to 'go out' with me made me shudder; he was my friend, nothing more.

“Why would I go and do a stupid thing like that?” I replied, dragging my gaze away from them and back to my friends. Although both of them were athletic, somewhat tomboyish girls (with a name like Stevie it was hard not to be), they had chosen some less-than-modest outfits that I didn't really look at because I was disgusted. What the Hell was this world coming to?

“How would it be stupid?” Stevie asked, “Don't you like him?”

“Not in that way.” I answered flatly.

“What would you tell him if he asked you out?”

I raised my eyes once more to the ceiling, this time out of thought rather than disgust. I doubted that would ever happen, but I suppose it wouldn't do any harm. “I'd go.”

This is my current single status,
My declaration of independence,
There's no way I'm tradin' places,
Right a star's in the ascendant...


Of course, I instantaneously regretted saying it as soon as the words slipped past my lips. Tess and Stevie gave uncharacteristic squeals of surprise and delight, obviously pleased to have found a hairline crack in my armor. I rolled my eyes. “Please,” I drawled out the word levelly, “it's not like I'm going to marry him or anything.”

I visibly shuddered at the idea, though not because I didn't like the idea of being paired up with Kevin; no, it was the idea of being paired up at all. I was still rather young; I had no intention of being tied down to some guy who would probably leave me within the first four months. I had never been interested in dating or anything through high school, and I hadn't really lost that as I made the transition into college. School was more important. Work was more important.

Hell, even soccer was more important. I wouldn't be as good at it as I was now if I'd missed all those practices because I was out on a date.

A man brushed irritatingly close by. I shot him a withering glare. “Excuse you...”

Everything in it's right time everything in it's right place,
I know I'll settle down one day,
But 'till then I like it this way it's my way,
Eh I like it this way...


“You don't have to marry him,” Stevie pointed out, being the more talkative of the two, “but see, this is how it works: if you would go with him if he asked you, what's the harm in asking him yourself?”

I thought about that question for a moment before answering, already forgetting the strange man. He wasn't worth my time and brain power, anyway. I really didn't want to ask Kevin because I was perfectly all right with just being his friend; I liked it that way. It was comfortable for the both of us, while being in a relationship seemed a bit more iffy.

“Because I think it's better to wait and see what happens,” I answered finally, shrugging slightly to subconsciously indicate that I wasn't absolutely sure of my own answer, “isn't it generally the guy who takes the first move, anyhow?”

Tess tossed back her head and gave a loud laugh as if I'd just said the funniest thing in the world. Stevie too, started giggling like a little girl, leaving me to wonder what on Earth was so funny. “What?”

“Olivia Rokit,” Tess said in a scolding tone of voice, sounding very much like the mother I never really saw anymore, “when have you ever been one to follow the rules?”

Oh. So that's what they were laughing at.

I have to admit that it did bring a soft smile to my lips. They were right; I never had enjoyed following the customs of the culture.“That's a good point, I guess.”

Make your move if you want doesn't mean I will or won't,
I'm free to make my mind up you either got it or you don't,
'Till then I'm single...


“So...?” Both girls said in unison, obviously not satisfied at all.

I rolled my eyes and brushed my hair back with one boyish hand, irritated that it was getting in my eyes. I should've put it up like the other two had. “So, this is just one of those fluke things where I do follow the rules.”

Tess and Stevie's faces fell and I almost laughed at how young they were acting. “If I didn't know any better,” Tess said slowly, as if she was almost afraid of what she was going to say, “I'd say you're just scared.”

I cocked my head to one side. “Scared? Naw...just happy to be single.”

This is my current single status,
My declaration of independence,
There's no way I'm tradin' places,
Right now a star's in the ascendant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hehehehe. I really like Ollie's character, though I'm not sure she's always really acting the way I'd like her to. Sometimes she acts like she has a mind of her own (literally) and I don't really like it.
Sign up to rate and review this story