Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > If The Clouds Were Singing A Song.

I Can Hardly Speak.

by XxIceCreamHeadachexX 6 reviews

Welcome to Vegas.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2009-01-02 - Updated: 2009-01-03 - 1622 words

0Unrated
Chapter Two: I Can Hardly Speak.

"So sweet, I can hardly speak. Due to such trauma in my teeth. But your body language is telling me that you're worth the pain."---Cute Is What We Aim For.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I just know that you are going to make so many new friends."

The green nature and sunshine shimmers mingled into colorless blurs outside the passing car as Ryan lounged back against the cool leather of his seat. The heat cast a seeping sweat into his shirt, but the air conditioning was on a full blast. The sun is one of the many unbearable flaws of Las Vegas and the desire of ice was inevitable to any newcomer from Chicago. Oh, how Ryan longed for the quaint tumbles of snow with the sweet snowflakes silently soaring to the ground or the bitter winds and warm faces snuggled into sweaters. But, as the remnants of summer pounded onto his flesh, the dreams of Chicago were fading. The mini-van contained a single mother of two, a friendless teenager, and a whiney five-year-old that seemed to grow bored of her Disney Princess Coloring book, so decided to throw countless hissy fits, expressing her dire need of attention.

"Is that supposed to be funny?" Ryan asked his mother, as she just warmly smiled.

Ryan Ross was never known to have many friends. Or any, for that matter. He felt it best to just keep to himself, that way, nobody could necessarily bug him. He had no idea why his mother thought things would change now that they were moving. He had a firm belief what his social life would be exactly like how it was in Chicago: nonexistent. It wasn't like he was going to change his lifestyle just because he was being forced to live in a the land of a sauna. And just like his former school, he knew how Bishop Gorman High students were going to treat him as though he were: nonexistent.


He knew that similar to any other high school, Bishop Gormon High was filled with plastic girls with artificial smiles and pink nails. It was infested with jocks with a drive to befriend any slut they could. It crawled with the fakes and the brains, but your friends became trends within the first few weeks. If you were not assigned to a specific group, you were known as the loner. You were known as the loser. You were known as a nobody. You were known as Ryan Ross.



And that's how it was like at his old school. Why would this one be any different?


"No, but I just think that moving to Nevada was a good idea for all of us. We all get to start fresh and new." she replied, as Ryan rolled his eyes.

"Well, maybe I didn't want to start fresh and new. I liked Chicago. Besides, if I didn't have any friends in Illinois, why would that change once I move here?" he said, quite resentful. He hated the heat.

"Oh, Ryan." his mother sighed.

"MOMMY. ARE WE THERE YET?!" the youngster screamed from the backseat, evidentially frustrated.

"No, dear. Calm down."

"Savannah, chill out." Ryan told his little sister, which only made her even more annoyed.

"Ryro! Play Barbies with me! I'll let you be Ken this time!" Savannah pleaded her older brother.

"Uh, no." He dejected.

"BUT RYRO!" Savannah cried, as her mother sighed in frustration.

"Please, Ryan. Could you just entertain her for a few hours?" Carol Ross asked.

"No way, Mom."

"Ryan, please."

"Fine." he surrendered, as he turned to the backseat, where Savannah was currently putting a new purple dress onto a blonde Barbie she owned. She excitedly handed him the Ken doll as he reluctantly took it from her. Playing Barbies with your five-year-old sister wasn't the most fun way to spend his car ride to where ever they lived. He already felt uncomfortable enough with the thundering heat thrashing onto his pale flesh. Next to the tanned natives of Vegas, Ryan was going to look like he was an Albino.

Alas, this was the closest thing he had to an exciting social life; the drama of plastic models that Savannah and Ryan created themselves. He could go to Paris with the most attractive woman without ever putting a shirt on, when he was in the world of Barbies. He guessed that's why children enjoyed these toys so much. They could construct any story they wanted with just their tiny imagination. That's most likely why Ryan enjoyed writing so much, as well. It was sort of like playing with Barbies, except you didn't have any figure but your pencil.

Suddenly, they pulled into a driveway of a medium sized, white house, with brown shingles and a decent lawn with a few plants here and there. It seemed like a nice neighborhood, a few kids that looked to vary in the ages of eleven to thirteen, strode by on bicycles. You could hear distant barking from dog-owning neighbors. It was somewhat peaceful. At least he could feel a little content with all his resentment towards the fact that he was forced to move. It looked as though there wouldn't be anyone to bug him in this neighborhood, so his long-term streak of loner-ness wouldn't be affected.

Suddenly, two more moving vans drove up and parked on the side of the rode. They immediately got out of their car and began carrying furniture into the Ross's new house. His mother started directing the movers on where to put their things as Ryan just leaned against the car, obviously bored. He wasn't exactly sure what to do with himself. His mother was busy with the movers, his sister stayed in the car, and continued playing with her dolls. He sighed. He was already at his new house, in a new state, with a new future, and he already had nothing to do.

"Mom, I'm gonna walk around for a few minutes, okay?" Ryan called out to his mother.

"That's fine." she replied, not really paying attention. Ryan just shrugged and decided to travel around to the back of his house. He pulled out his iPod Nano from his pocket and began listening to his music. Behind his backyard lied a massive field of tall, faded grass. It was a never-ending meadow of sorts; your view was only that of dull green and vibrant blue sky, with swirling clouds surrounding the heavens in a white flurry. They came in all various shapes and sizes, all of them just moving eastward. Ryan began aimlessly walking into the field, just staring up. He was so unaware of his surroundings that he had abruptly tripped over something and fell on top of it.

But this wasn't a something, it was a someone.

"Owe!" it yelled from under Ryan's skinny body.

Ryan quickly got off of the someone, but wasn't stable enough to stand yet, so he just sat there, confused and embarrassed. The someone sat up, with long, messy black hair and eyes just as vibrantly blue as the sky. The someone was actually a she with a petite body, yet had nice curves. She also had just the right amount of eyeliner. Not an excessive penciling, like how the girls had done their make-up in Chicago. But, two thin strips of black under each eye. She had an iPod of her own, but it had a purple case, but Ryan was afraid it might've broken from under the fall. She began rubbing her head, but she didn't seem angry or anything. Still, Ryan felt it necessary to apologize.

"I-I-I am so, so, so s-s-sorry." he stuttered.

"It's no big deal." she said, giving him a sweet smile. Her teeth were really white and straight. He wondered if she ever had braces before. But, he thought it wasn't the best time to ask.

"Uh, I really am. I just didn't see you." he apologized again.

"Listen, I said it was really no big deal. It's not like you were doing an urban ritual of a snake dance for your fellow tribe members of the Moo, Moo Cow Ice Cream village to prove that you were worthy of the holy sacred Vanilla Shake and had tripped over me in the process or something. Unless, you had..." she replied, giving him a questionable look.

"Oh, no. Of course not!" Ryan exclaimed, as the girl just laughed.

"I'm kidding." she assured him with a giggle, as he sighed in relief. Although, Ryan wasn't certain what he was relieved from. It's not like she had actually thought that he'd be doing that.

Ryan just sat there awhile, looking completely awkward. He didn't really belong in this scene. Sitting in a field, next to, he wasn't going to lie, a very attractive girl that he had just tripped over. How embarrassing. The thought made him blush. He should've just got up and left, but there were two reasons he couldn't. One, he still thought his legs weren't stable enough and two, something about this blue-eyed girl was appealing. And not just because she had a pretty face. Maybe his mom was right, we all were going to start fresh and new. Even someone as unsociable and friendless as Ryan Ross.

"Uh, is your iPod okay?" Ryan asked, breaking the silence.

"Yeah, it's fine." she said, giving him a sunny smile.

"Oh, that's good." He didn't really know what to say. Conversations weren't exactly his forte.

"So, what's your name?"

"Um, Ryan. Yours?" he responded quickly, looking into her eyes, which were so bright and blue and full of interest. Interest for Ryan.


"I'm Violet Hayes."


_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comment/Compliment/Critique.
Do with it as you like.
Sign up to rate and review this story