Categories > Books > Harry Potter > No.

Rant and Chapter 2

by ChassTheMighty 3 reviews

Enter the Scholar

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2009-01-21 - Updated: 2009-01-22 - 1639 words - Complete

-1Boring
Disclaimer (Applies to the previous chapter as well): Any and all elements of the Potterverse aside from original plot, characters, and spells introduced are the property of J.K. Rowling.




A/N: Hey guys, this is pretty much going to be one big rant/statement on my plans with this story and my feelings on the situation on the Potterverse in regard to how the universe seems to work.




A/N 2: Also, because I felt the mood strike, the chapter is at the bottom.




Okay, so to get started...




Rant 1: The Unforgivables and Lord Voldemort




So, did anyone else find it odd that come the end of book 5 and on, everybody and their grandma could cast Crucio and Avade Kedavra? The ultimate pain curse, and the indefensible insta-kill spell. How in the heck is that a level playing field? You'd think spells that did something like that would require immense amounts of power, wouldn't it?




For that matter, why on Earth was everyone afraid of Voldemort if everyone could kill that freely? It obviously didn't require that much power since none of the casters ever show fatigue after casting the spells. Was it because he looked scary? I was under the impression that he just resemble an older Tom Riddle until he was disembodied. 




In my opinion, and in any stories I write, these unforgivables will be very difficult spells to cast, the required emotion and power nigh impossible to muster by the average wizard, and THAT is one of the many reasons people were (and are) afraid of Lord Voldemort.




Rant 2: Stupefy and Expelliarmus, the only spells ever used




When one thinks of a magical universe (especially magical combat) the image of mages slinging fire blasts, lightning bolts, and massive waves of water usually come to mind. How is it that J.K. managed to absolutely ruin magical combat in the Potterverse? It essentially came down to a stun-crucio-disarm-killing curse slugfest.




Of this, I do not approve. Where is the creativity and adventure in a universe where combat is essentially four spells? It makes little sense to me. The mechanics I will be using for the Stupefy and Expelliarmus Charms/Hexes (whatever they're classified as) will be far different. Stupefy only works on wizards below the age of 17 or wizards significantly weaker than the caster, and the same mechanics apply to Expelliarmus. 




My reasoning behind this is that at age 17, upon reaching magical majority and the full power of an adult wizard (or witch, which I have not been using, I apologize) their natural magic is able to naturally deflect weak spells such as these. There might not be any canon basis on it, but there's not much excitement in a fight that consists of four spells.




Rant 3: Ron, Hermione, and Ginny




This is essentially going to be in reverse order from the title of Rant 3. Harry and Ginny. The Canon Couple. I don't approve. It's not that I don't like Ginny or anything, I like her character, and it's portrayal. My problem is that there was never enough canon basis for their relationship prior to the sudden introduction in book six. I'm almost positive Harry may have spoken maybe 20 sentences or so to Ginny before then. This is not the basis for a solid relationship, and nor does love feel like a monster in one's chest. If a Harry/Ginny relationship is done, that's perfectly fine, I just believe it should be introduced prior to book six.




Hermione... Ah Hermione. If there were ever to be a favorite character for me in the series besides Harry, it would be her. My favorite pairing is Harry and Hermione, because I believe they have enough in common to stick together, and enough difference to compliment each other well. That's about as much as there is for me to say on her for the moment. 




Now, for Ron. I actually kind of like Ron as a character, because he's not flat sidekick bob who is always gung ho for the hero. In my stories, I will be using Ron in full capacity in his roll as Harry's best male friend and backup. I think, if motivated and focused properly, Ron can be a valuable asset to Harry and the story. However, it is not to be said that I don't enjoy a good Bad!Ron story, especially if they're written with good nuance, not just "RAR JEALOUS EVIL".




Rant 4: The Final Rant - Albus Dumbledore and The Deathly Hollows




Ah Dumbledore... One of the most complicated characters in the Potterverse. I truly think that Dumbledore meant well in what he did when he put Harry with the Dursleys and when he kept the prophecy from Harry. However, meaning well and doing well are two different things, and Albus needs to be hit on the head with a rolled up newspaper. 




We do not spend an entire year showing Harry a slideshow that could have been summarized in a few hours. We teach Harry the powerful battle magic that the greatest wizard since Merlin should obviously know so Harry (who by all rights should be more powerful than both Voldemort and Dumbledore via plot-power). Bad Albus! On that note, the most powerful wizards of the modern age do not rely on fanciful toys to win battles. They rely on the fact that they are powerful and can cast spells of epic power to win.




On the Hollows. They can be extremely useful for plot development if used properly. But I will not be using them. I don't like the idea of energy barrier super wand that just pimp slaps all attacks. Nor do I like the idea of super invisibility cloak. (I actually have a very interesting idea for an invisibility field, but I will not go their now. 




Just real quick, before my last rant ends and I get onto the next chapter, how smart is Voldemort really? We do not make a LIVING THING the container for our immortal soul, wingus. We make a pebble the container, cast unplottable charms and drop it in the damn ocean.




So now, without further ado, Chapter 2 of No.




As Hermione left the hospital ward carrying her case of treatment potions the last thing she expected to see was Madam Pomfrey wheeling in an unconscious Headmaster Dumbledore.




"Madam Pomfrey what happened?!" asked Hermione in a surprised and slightly frightened tone. "It seems that young Mister Potter has given the Headmaster a slight heart condition. You would do well to find Mr. Potter and ask him what in heaven's name he said that did this to the Headmaster!" replied Madam Pomfrey in a commanding tone. A still stunned Hermione nodded her assent and left in search of Harry, ignoring the dull ache in her chest from her recently healed wound.




Hermione Granger was, at the moment, an extremely frustrated individual. She had searched the common room, the quidditch pitch, the kitchens, and even the ledge that Harry liked to contemplate from at the top of the Northern Tower and their was no sign of Harry anywhere. All this aside, Hermione couldn't help but feel worried about Harry. To be honest, even after being his best friend (Hermione firmly believed that she knew him far better than Ron and deserved the title over him) for five years, she sometimes felt that she didn't know the true Harry well at all. The Harry that she had... Had... Admired, yes that was a good word to use, rarely seemed to ever surface and it almost seemed as if he did not even exist.



That is, until she remembered the warrior who had appeared to challenge the specter of Voldemort, slay the great basilisk and conquer a tournament that hadn't actually been won in over five hundred years (the past few tournaments had ended in rather gruesome deaths for all the contestants) just to face his resurrected foe and survive (Hermione was of the distinct opinion that in the end, it seemed that Harry would be the one to defeat Voldemort, because frankly, all the adults had been good for during the past few years was treating them as children and ignoring the world around them). Hermione wished that she would see more of this side of Harry instead of the shabby Ron knock-off that he had taken to playing during the course of their years together. Pushing all this aside, Hermione sighed and made her way to the 5th year boys dormitory ignoring all the stares she received to retrieve the Marauder's Map since Ron was nowhere to be found.




Moments later, the Map fell from Hermione's limp fingers. Harry James Potter was in the library. The Restricted Section of the library, to be specific. It was all she could do to shove the map into Harry's trunk before she bolted out the door, down the steps to the library. It appeared that, in the face of the loss of Sirius, Harry had decided that it would be a good idea to study deadly spells! Hermione would have to dissuade Harry of this notion, as this certainly was not the time for him to be doing that of all things... No, she would simply not stand for it, Harry had to be comforted, had to know that he was not all alone and she would be the one do it before he hurt himself!


"Bugger all!" came the shout of an irate young man as he sneezed so powerfully he nearly toppled a nearby shelf.



A/N 3: Woo... Rest assured from this point onward, word count will at the very least triple the count of the past two chapters. This is all new to me, so I'm still getting used to actually putting my ideas on paper. So, done here, and tell me what you guys think!
Sign up to rate and review this story