Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu-Gi-Oh! > My Best Mate

A Major Misinterpretation

by SlaveToMyWords 0 reviews

Valon over-hears Jackie and Mai's conversation and takes it completely the wrong way...

Category: Yu-Gi-Oh! - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Mai Valentine,Valon - Published: 2009-01-24 - Updated: 2009-01-25 - 4387 words - Complete

0Unrated
"Valon..."
"Mmm..?"
"Valon..."
"...Hm..?"
"Valon, wake up..."
Valon sighed and stretched.
"I'm awake..." He mumbled sleepily. He then opened his eyes and couldn't hide the surprise on his face when he saw Jackie smiling down at him.
"Jackie?"
Jackie nodded and picked up his hand.
"Come on, I want to show you something!"
Valon furrowed his eyebrows in confusion but got out of bed to follow her nonetheless.

As Jackie pulled Valon along, and they both ran down the hallways, Valon couldn't take his eyes from her. She was wearing a long, white, flowing, strapless dress with lacy sleeves that came to a point at her hand and went around her middle finger. Her long, dark hair was flowing behind her and her entire being seemed to glow unnaturally.
"She... looks like an angel..." Valon thought to himself.
He then shook his head and looked around as they turned down hall after hall in the massive mansion.
"Where are we goin'?" He asked curiously.
Jackie looked over her shoulder and gave him a smile that immediately made his heart melt.
"You'll see." She replied happily. Then she turned forward again.
Just like when he was with her earlier, Valon felt his heart once again racing it's own marathon. What was it about this girl that made him feel the way he did?

Eventually Jackie and Valon arrived at the back of the mansion. Jackie opened the large double doors leading to the back yard and lead Valon, this time at a walk, outside.
Valon was still watching Jackie when they stopped, so he barely registered what she said.
"It's beautiful isn't it?"
"Uh... huh?" Valon asked, still in a slight daze.
Jackie turned to him and smiled, then pointed up to the sky. Valon turned and looked up and his mouth dropped at what he saw. Shooting stars were streaking across the sky by the hundreds, maybe thousands! It was a meteor shower.
Valon looked back at Jackie and saw her spreading out a blanket. Where had that come from? She sat down on it and looked at him, giving him another smile and patting the blanket beside her.
"Come sit with me." She said softly.
Valon did as she asked and walked over to sit by her. She looked back up at the sky then and all was silent as they watched the stars. Or rather, she watched, Valon was more content watching her.

Eventually, Jackie spoke again.
"It's beautiful isn't it?" She said in awe.
"Yea, you are." Valon replied in a low whisper.
Jackie looked at him in shock and Valon felt his face heat up. He decided then to talk before Jackie could respond.
"Jackie," He said quickly. "about earlier... After spendin' the day with you, I remembered something from a long time ago..."
Jackie tilted her head to one side questioningly.
"What did you remember?" She asked curiously.
"That I'm in love wit you." Valon whispered back.
Jackie's eyes widened in shock, but this time, Valon decided he didn't care.
"I love you Jackie." He whispered softly. And without hesitation, he gently placed a hand on the side of her face and pressed his lips to hers.

It took her a few moments, but eventually, much to Valon's utter delight, Jackie responded to his kiss.
Valon felt his heart do half a dozen back flips. Someone up there really did care about him! Moving his free hand to wrap around Jackie's waist, Valon deepened the kiss hungrily. Gods it felt so good! It seemed like the rest of the world had melted away and only him and Jackie remained in it. If this was what heaven was like, he'd have to make sure he was a good boy from now on!
Valon inhaled deeply. Even Jackie's scent was wonderful. And in that moment, he knew that he had made the right decision, he was exactly where he was supposed to be.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Valon awoke to a sun beam in the eye and immediately threw his arm over his face to block it out. When his eyes had finally adjusted, he took his arm away and groaned. With a yawn, he sat up and threw his feet over the bed, then cradled his head in his hands.
"What the hell was that?!" He growled in frustration. "What, I'm dreamin' about Jackie now?! I never dreamed about Mai before... especially nothin' like that...!"

Somewhere among the storm in Valon's head, something he'd once heard came back to him.
"Ah, I know what it was! Didn't I hear once that you dream about the thing you were thinkin' 'bout before you nodded off? Yea, that must a been it! I only dreamt about 'er cause I been spending so much time with 'er the last few days!"
Valon smiled and nodded, confident that he was right. When he thought this though, he suddenly felt a pang of loneliness and again growled angrily.
"What now?!" He snarrled in his head. "What the HELL is wrong with me lately!"
Valon sighed in frustration and quickly dismissed the unwanted feeling -- as best he could at least.
"I'm hungry." He stated alout. "That's all's wrong with me!"
So without another thought about his confusing dream, or the girl in question, Valon got a shower and headed down to the kitchen for breakfast.
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jackie was sitting in the kitchen with Mai, eating breakfast. Since it was pouring rain outside, the woman were stuck inside -- and neither of them were overly happy about it.
"So, how did it go last night?" Mai asked excitedly. "I wanna hear all the juicy details!"
Jackie laughed.
"It was... perfect!... Until the end anyway."
Mai frowned.
"Why? What did that idiot do now?"
Jackie laughed.
"It's not what he did, it's what he didn't do."
Mai tilted her head to one side.
"Uh...huh..." She replied, not understanding one bit. Jackie laughed again and explained.
"We were sitting on the beach, just talking, when suddenly Valon got all... I dunno... un-Valon-like. He even told me I was beautiful."
Jackie beamed at this and Mai smiled.
"And that's bad how?"
"It's not." Jackie replied. "I thought I was going to faint. It was really sweet of him and it meant a lot to me."
Mai smiled again.
"So? What was the problem."
Jackie frowned.
"He... he was going to kiss me... it was so close... but in the end he just hugged me instead."

Mai smacked her forehead and rolled her eyes.
"What an idiot!" She said in exasperation. "You know, no matter what he does, that moron always seems to surprise me. Just when I think he can't possibly be any dumber or more oblivious, he proves me wrong!"
Jackie gave a small smile at this.
"Yea but, it's not his fault... how's he supposed to know something if no one ever tells him...?"
Mai gave Jackie a lopsided smile.
"You really love him don't you?" She asked softly. Jackie looked down at her fruit salad and nodded.
Mai leaned over and gave Jackie a hug. Jackie sighed and hugged Mai back, burying her face into the woman's shoulder. Screw her defenses, screw the damn wall! She needed comfort!
"Don't worry hun." Mai said softly. "He'll come around."
Jackie sighed again.
"I don't think so... I think I'm gonna have to tell him if I want anything to happen."
Mai smiled and pulled away from Jackie to look down at her.
"Then that's what you should do."
Jackie starred at Mai for a moment, then smiled.
"Thanks Mai." She said simply.
Mai smiled back and gave her a wink.
"Hey, no problem. You know I'm here for ya kiddo."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Valon made his way down to the kitchen and looked out a window as he passed by. It was raining, he doubted if Jackie and Mai were outside eating breakfast in this weather. Valon smiled to himself. Maybe he'd eat breakfast with them this morning. With that thought, Valon straightened, and had anyone been watching him, they would have noticed a positive alteration in his step.

Valon reached the kitchen and went to walk inside when he saw Mai and Jackie sitting back-on to him. He opened his mouth to say good morning when something Mai said caught his attention.
"So, how did it go last night? I wanna hear all the juicy details!"
Valon smiled and ducked out of the kitchen to hide behind the wall outside.
"Yea Jackie, how did it go last night?" He thought with a smile. He heard Jackie laugh.
"It was... perfect!... Until the end anyway."
Valon frowned. The end? What happened at the end? And why was it bad? He then heard Mai sigh.
"Why? What did that idiot do now?"
Jackie laughed and Valon's frown deepened. She was laughing at him?
"It's not what he did, it's what he didn't do."

Valon furrowed his brows in confusion. What didn't he do? He was nice wasn't he? And he'd told her goodnight. Hell, he'd even given her a kiss on the hand! That was sweet wasn't it?
"Uh...huh..." Mai replied, sounding like she didn't understand one bit. Jackie laughed again and explained.
"We were sitting on the beach, just talking, when suddenly Valon got all... I dunno... un-Valon-like. He even told me I was beautiful."
"And that's bad how?" Mai asked.
Valon again furrowed his brows in confusion. Yea, what she said! That's bad how? That was what he'd done wrong? Told her she was beautiful? Suddenly Valon's head hurt. This girl was complicated!
"It's not." Jackie replied. "I thought I was going to faint. It was really sweet of him and it meant alot to me."
Valon beamed. He knew that couldn't have been it. And what was that? The comment had meant a lot to her? Great! He was actually doing alright! Valon's smile widened.
"So? What was the problem." Mai questioned.
There was a slight pause and Valon moved closer to listen.
"He... he was going to kiss me... it was so close... but in the end he just hugged me instead."
"What an idiot!" Mai said in exasperation.

Valon's wide smile dropped into a deep frown.
He knew it! She really didn't want him to kiss her... she had even disliked the idea so much, it had ruined her night.
Valon felt his heart shatter. Why did that hurt him so much? She hadn't said she didn't want to be friends with him anymore and she seemed happy once the whole kiss situation was over. And her friendship was all he was worried about right? He didn't want or need her to love him... so why the hell did this hurt so much?!
The rest of the girl's conversation was left unheard as Valon sprinted away from the kitchen as fast as his long legs could carry him. Suddenly he wasn't hungry any more.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Mai looked at the clock and noted the time. It was almost noon and Valon had yet to make an appearance. She then looked back to Jackie.
"It's weird Valon hasn't come down for breakfast yet. I know Rafael and Alister went out on a mission the other day so I guess they're not back yet... But it's weird for Valon to skip breakfast."
Jackie raised a finger to her cheek in thought.
"It is weird isn't it...?" She replied absently. Then she smiled. "I'd think that after he patched things up with me he'd be all over bugging you again."
Mai laughed and nodded.
"Yea, me too."
She then glanced upward as if looking through the ceiling into Valon's room. Looking back down at Jackie, she gave her a smile and a wink.
"Why don't you go see what's keeping him."
Jackie smiled and shook her head, then got up and walked out of the kitchen.
"Go get 'em tiger! Rawr!"
Jackie looked over her shoulder at Mai and gave her a wink, then proceeded upstairs to Valon's room.

When Jackie reached Valon's room, she gave it a proper knock. After a few moments of no answer she knocked again. Still no answer. Jackie frowned and turned the knob, pushing the door open a little.
"Valon?" She called through the space. Again there was no awnser. Jackie pushed the door open all the way and looked around.
"Valon?" She called again. Finally she spotted Valon on the bed.
"Hey, there you are. Why didn't you answer me when-"
Jackie stopped when she took in Valon's appearance. He was laying on his bed with his shirt off and his hands behind his head.
"Damn it, he's so sexy!" Jackie thought, biting her lower lip.
But Valon's sexiness wasn't what she was worried about. He had his eyes closed and his face was set in the most sour look Jackie had ever seen.
"Valon? Is... there something wrong?"
"I'm fine." Valon replied moodily.
Jackie frowned.
"Are you sure? You seem-"
"I said I'm fine!" Valon snapped, not moving or looking at her.
Jackie felt stung. Was it something she'd said or done? She searched her mind but couldn't for the life of her think of something she may have said or done to anger him. She hadn't seen him since the night before and he seemed happy then. So what was wrong with him now?
"Valon, a-"
"I'm fine damn it!" Valon yelled, sitting up now to glare at Jackie. "What's wrong with you? Did you come to make things worse?!"
Jackie starred at him in shock.
"What? No- I-"
"Get out!" Valon said angrily.
"B-but-"
"Out!"
Jackie swallowed hard. He might as well have physically struck her, it would have hurt far less than his words.
Jackie nodded timidly and immediately ducked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

Jackie's pace was slow as she made her way back to her room in a trance. Why had Valon snapped at her like that? And what had he meant by 'make things worse'? Make what worse? What did he mean? What was wrong with him?
Before she could come to a conclusion on her thoughts, Mai stopped Jackie and placed her hands on her shoulders.
"What happened? You look like a lost puppy." Mai said, starring at Jackie in concern.
"I- he- ... Um... I don't know.."
Mai starred at Jackie in confusion for a moment, then her expression turned to anger.
"Go to your room OK. I'll come in a bit."
Jackie could do nothing but nod, then do as Mai asked as the woman angrily walked past her.

Mai stormed past Jackie in a direct line for Valon's room. When she got there, she threw it open without knocking. Upon the bed was Valon, once again laying down in the same position Jackie had found him in with a more sour look than ever.
Mai starred at him angrily.
"What the hellis wrong with you?! What'd you do this time?! You know, you're a complete moron you know that?! You always manage to outdo yourself! All that girl has ever shown you is love and kindness and what do you do? You break her heart -- over and over!! Do you have any common sense at all, or are you really that blind?!"
"Get out." Valon said simply. Mai fumed, not taking being snubbed off so easily very well.
"No!" She yelled indignantly. "Not until-"
"OUT!" Valon shouted furiously.
Mai starred at him in shock, then scowled.
"Fine!" She hissed through clenched teeth. "But see if you get another chance! Cause mark my words Valon, if you ever go near her again, I'll tear you apart piece by piece you hear me?!"
And with that said, Mai whirrled around, opened the door and left the room, nearly tearing the door from it's hinges when she slammed it so hard it shook.
Mai made her way down the hall to Jackie's room in nothing short of a fit of furry. When she got there, she also opened this door without knocking. She walked into the room and plopped down on the bed next to Jackie, who was starring at the wall in a trance.
"That jerk!" She said angrily, fist clenched in front of her as a vein throbbed in her head.
"Jackie, he's not worth your time and he'll NEVER deserve you! You could do so much better!!"
Jackie said nothing, she simply continued to stare at the wall in front of her.
Mai turned to the girl.
"Are you even listening to me?" She asked irritably.
A tear slipped down Jackie's cheek and she nodded mutely.
Mai's expression softened and she reached out to pull her friend into a hug.
"I'm sorry, I'm being a total hypocrite. Here I am, angry at Valon for taking his anger out on others when I'm doing the same thing."
Jackie was silent and Mai sighed again.
"Look, I can't tell you who to love or who to give your heart to, and if Valon is the one your heart picked, then there's nothing anyone can do to change it. But if there's any way possible that you can get over him, I think now is the time to do it. Honestly hun, I really don't think he deserves you and I know you can do better. Much better."

Jackie wrapped her arms around Mai and hugged her back. Between the two of them, Mai and Valon had torn down a wall and all her defenses, which had taken her a lifetime to build, in just two days.
Inside, Jackie's consious mind screamed at her for her weakness, the weakness she had worked so hard to destroy. She had thought she had succeeded, but these two people had managed to ruin everything.
In Mai's case it wasn't quite so bad. The blonde woman had urged her to open up more, taught her that life can be fun and that not all people are bad. And also, that there is great comfort in the luxury of friendship, a luxury that not everyone was lucky to have.
Valon's case was a different story all together. Valon had managed blow all her defenses into oblivion -- defenses that would have been wise and helpful to maintain. But there was nothing that she could have done. He had found a small crack in her wall and wedged his way through until he had reached her heart. Once there, he had torn her apart piece by painful piece. And now, Jackie was sure the damage was beyond repair. If she could somehow gain enough courage to talk to Valon again, she knew she'd never be able to tell him how she felt. There was just no way now. It was friendship or nothing. And she was starting to think she might prefer the latter.

After a long and painful silence between the two friends, Jackie finally pulled away from Mai.
"Mai?"
"Yea?" The blonde asked softly.
"What did Valon say to you? What made you so angry?"
Mai gritted her teeth.
"Nothing." She replied irritably. "He didn't say anything, he just yelled at me and drove me out."
Jackie eyed her in confusion.
"Really? He drove you out? That's really strange don't you think?"
Mai chewed her cheek for a moment in thought.
"Yea... I guess it is..." She replied thoughtfully. Jackie frowned.
"There must be something desperately wrong with him for him to get angry at you like that..."
"I think you're right." Mai replied. She then looked back at Jackie. "But that doesn't give him the right to treat anyone the way he did. If he has a problem, he can work it out on his own. We won't go to him and we won't feel sorry for him you got that? If he wants our forgiveness, he'll have to appologise. If not, then screw him, he doesn't deserve it."

Jackie starred at Mai for a few moments, then nodded. She was right. Whatever was wrong with Valon, it didn't give him the right to treat them the way he had... Still, Jackie couldn't help but worry about the brunette.
With a frown and an inward sigh, Jackie looked back at the wall.
"I hope you're alright Valon..."Valon starred up at his ceiling with a frown, the sour look on his face long gone. Jackie's hurt look was etched in his mind and he figured it would torment him until the day he died. All his life, Valon had practically grown up with Jackie, long before Mai had ever come into the picture. And in that time, she had always been his very best friend -- that is, until Mai had showed up. He had always been the only person who could make Jackie laugh or smile. While she was never really hostile or cold towards anyone, it was still a bloody workout to get her to show the smallest sliver of emotion, and even when she did it was only to him, and occasionally Dartz, who had always been a father-figure in her life.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The two had been inseperable and Valon had always been there for her, ready to protect her or help her out; not that she'd ever needed it. But it had always been obvious that she appreciated his efforts and enjoyed his company.
Valon had always been extremely fond of Jackie and for years he had had the biggest crush on her, though of course, he never told her that. While Jackie had always been friendly and kind towards him, she had never really shown any signs that she returned his feelings; or none that he could see anyway. But then, Jackie was harder to read than a book written in a foreign language.
For years Valon had gone on pretending he was content with Jackie's friendship, but he longed to be so much more. It hadn't really mattered when they were younger because it was just a little school-boy crush. But as the years went on, and the two got older, Valon's feelings towards Jackie grew stronger. So much so that Rafael and Alister had even noticed and teased him regularly. Valon, of course, had merely denied it and brushed it off, but he couldn't deny his feelings to himself -- nor admit them to Jackie.

Eventually, Valon had come across Mai and something about the woman drew him. It was never anything like what he'd felt for Jackie, but he figured that if Jackie hadn't shown any interest in him by now, then she never would. So began his persuit of Mai.
But now that he thought about it though, Valon realized that Mai hadn't ever meant to him what Jackie had. Sure, he had been taken up with her, and he still was, but like when he was younger, it was just a school-boy crush and meant very little. Had he been unconsciously trying to spite Jackie? To make her jealous?

Valon shook his head. None of these were thoughts he needed in his head at the moment. Still, he couldn't help but smile as one particular memory came back to him from when they were very young.

He had been in the garden, it was a beautiful, sunny day. Normally, he wouldn't have been there at all for the simple reason that he didn't particularly care for flowers. But on this day, the thought of fresh, crisp dates was enough to make his mouth water. So, walking swiftly through the decorative vegetation, Valon made a beeline for the date tree. On the way however, something caught his eye. He stopped to examine it and quickly forgot all about the dates as he gazed at a pretty, orange Tiger-Lilly.
Valon beamed. These were Jackie's favorite flowers, and orange was her favorite color. She would most likely be very happy with him if he brought it to her. So, without a second thought, Valon plucked the flower from the ground and dashed back towards the mansion.
He found Jackie sitting under a cherry tree on the back of the mansion, flipping through her deck. He starred at her for a moment, almost entranced by the way the sun seemed to make her dark hair shine brilliantly.
Valon took a deep breath and walked up to Jackie. When he reached her, he held out the flower shyly. She was the only one who ever made him feel shy.
"Um, Jackie.. this is for you."
Jackie looked up from her deck and smiled when she saw the flower.
"Oh Valon! That's so pretty!" She said, accepting the flower with a smile. She then stood up and stood on her tippy-toes to reach him, planting a sweet kiss on his cheek.
"Thank you!"
Valon blushed horribly as a huge grin spread across his face.
"You're welcome!"

Valon smiled as he replayed the memory fondly in his mind. That tiny, simple kiss had given him wings. He had followed Jackie around then for the rest of the day like a love-sick puppy. He frowned however when he once again remembered the look on Jackie's face when he had yelled at her. How was she to know why he was angry? He hadn't told her and he hadn't given her a chance to explain. He hadn't even stayed to listen to the rest of her conversation with Mai. Sure, he knew he was an idiot for thinking she'd want to kiss him, she'd never wanted to so why should she now? Still, for all he knew, Jackie could have defended him after Mai's comment, she may have even scolded Mai. He knew Jackie and he should have known that she'd never talk ill of someone without a reason. And him showing affection towards her was not a good enough reason, she wouldn't have said anything against him for that.

Valon sighed heavily and frowned, placing both arms over his face.
"You really are an idiot Valon!" He said miserably.
He would definitely have to apologise to Jackie again, but not just yet. Right now, his pride hurt to bad. After all, he was hurt too! That, and the fact that he had already apologised to Jackie just the day before -- and he never apologised!
Yes, he'd appologise eventually, but for now, he needed time to let his bruised pride heal.
Sign up to rate and review this story