Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Thriller

The Ransom

by -ThisXSecretXNinja- 2 reviews

Pete and Amber return to the hideout to find that Patrick is missing.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2009-01-31 - Updated: 2009-02-01 - 1419 words - Complete

1Exciting
Breathing slowly never worked for me
I cut the throat of betrayal to watch him bleed
a poetic sonnet passion that I scream to the sky
I'm tearing up I feel your love don't leave me behind
a poetic sonnet passion that I scream to the sky
I'm tearing up I feel your love please don't leave me behind

It didn’t take long at all to pave our way back to the hideout. With Patrick’s life on the line, Pete couldn’t have made it there any faster than he did as we smashed through the window we had once crawled out of to embark on this mission.
Dusting off the dust and broken pieces of glass off my jeans, I peaked up half-expecting Jess to charge in and chew Pete out for being unnecessarily ruthless when entering the hideout, but was surprised to find that wasn’t the case.
Instead. Jess, Joe, and Andy all rushed to the doorway, almost expectantly as Jess cried, “Oh Pete!” in what could’ve possibly been mistaken as desperation.
As she ran in, Pete immediately grabbed her into a strong embrace as she sobbed into his shoulder. After a few minutes, he muttered a question.
I was confused to why she was crying. I knew Patrick was involved but I couldn’t put my finger on what could’ve been the reason to such distress in such a strong person. Was Patrick…
No, I did not dare to even finish such a thought as I tuned my focus in on Pete, whose anguish was hard to read through his blank stare at the wall.
No one was speaking and there was the strangest aura hovering above the room. And then a weird feeling overwhelmed me as I looked up at Pete to find him trying to say something to break the silence, but failing. Had the team…given up?
I don’t know what happened at that moment but I finally realized what it was that had led me to this household. It wasn’t just my brother’s stupid plan to kill them or my lack of self-confidence to say anything against his wishes. It was something more, like fate had a way of tying my role together into this family that had just been damaged.
“We’ve got to save him,” I said, the charge in my voice almost startling as everyone’s expression hardened as Andy replied, “We tried!”
His hand flailed at the broken up half-breed standing a mere ten feet away from the door. That was when I noticed that Jess’s face wasn’t as flawless as before. Instead, there was a freshly inflicted wound that covered the space between her ear and her jaw line. The trail of scabs purpled by repetitive bruising.
“Pete…we needed you…” Jess spoke dryly before looking to him with saddened eyes, “Where were you? Why did you leave us?”
She glared hard at him now as she shoved him away from her screaming, “How could you do that to us? What was so important that you had to leave us when we needed you most? Because you weren’t here, we had nothing to track down!”
Pete looked mortified and hurt as he stared at the floor, trying to think of the right words to explain what they’d gone through to keep them safe…but no explanation seemed proper to the situation. Patrick had been kidnapped because we didn’t stay together. We failed to let them know about who I was…but now I aimed to redeem my dignity.
“I got a false letter from William, my brother,” I started to state lowly, pausing quickly at the gasp from half of the team, “It’s my fault all of this happened. Pete was only trying to protect you guys by leaving with me to take on William on our own. We were tricked.”
I could the heat radiating off Jess’ glowing skin as her anger boiled over, but quickly added, “Look, I’m really sorry I brought on this burden to you all. It’s my fault that Bill found out about how useless we’d be without Patrick. It’s because of this that I promise to completely disappear from your lives as soon as this all ends however, if we don’t leave right now, we’ll be too late to save anything!”
There was a moment of silence as the information sunk in. Jess seemed to be the most disappointed by the truth but shook off her anger and said, “If we make it out alive, you won’t live to see another day as long as I live.”
I swallowed, before glancing at Pete and murmuring, “Let’s go,” before we all took off, following Pete’s lead as he sniffed around the lab for a bit, until he caught onto a scent.
“Who took him?” Jess asked pleadingly, “Who was the one who took Patrick?”
“William never does his own dirty work,” Pete snorted as he explained, “He sent that freak of nature, Brendon.”
“So, can you track the scent?” I asked curiously, only to receive a kindly answer, “Duh.”
“Pete,” Jess muttered as she wandered further into the lab, “I don’t know if this is useful or anything but…Patrick wrote you a letter…before…” she trailed off, lips trembling as if she were going to cry. Holding back the tears in her eyes, she pointed over to the notebook resting undisturbed on Patrick’s desk. Swallowing hollowly, Pete sifted past me and over to the surface as he scanned the letter thoroughly.
Sighing, he muttered, “I’m a terrible friend...” before glancing up at me with a questionable expression. Then, to my surprise, he handed me the notebook. Nervously, I read the letter out loud, “Dear Pete, or whoever is first pick up this letter addressed to my very best of friends. It’s been approximately seventy-two hours since you disappeared and I’m finding myself roughly under the impression that your actions were taken with rather a minimal amount of thinking. But still, I can’t help but sit here racking my brain with so many questions to you. I haven’t exactly been one of the greatest friends to you lately, and for that, I’m deeply sorry that it’s brought you to separating yourself and Amber from the rest of us. I should’ve known better than arguing with you about so many pointless things I’ve theorized about all this vampire bullshit. I’ve treated you more like a lab rat than my partner in crime. I’m probably wasting my time writing this all out but I feel like I haven’t been giving you as much of my time as I should. So sorry.
“Also, there’s been a lot of things I’ve learned since Amber came to live with us. And for your information, I know a lot more than I’ve let off. I know who she is, Pete. And I’m sorry that you felt you had to hide it from us in order to keep her safe. I understand why you kept her around. She’s been great for you…but that also brings me to another conclusion that there’s something bigger happening right now than what we know of. I just wish you would’ve told us because we would’ve been willing to stand up with you. It’s not good for teams to split up. I just hope you come back with all your limbs.
Sincerely, Patrick Vaughn Stump.
"
Subsequently to my reading of the letter, all members of the team bowed their heads as they inhaled a small moment of silence, as the words of their dear friend echoed through their minds. His words would not be in vain.
“Alright then, let’s set out,” Pete commanded as he started to swing out the door, but stopped filing the rest of us out to find Jess standing completely still by Patrick’s desk. Reaching her hand out towards the surface, she picked up a small relic necklace. Patrick had cherished this neclace more than anything. It had been given to him by his previously vampire-hunting father, a man whom he’d looked up to since he was young.
“We‘re coming Patrick,” Jess whispered eerily before hooking the amulet around her neck and dashing out the door without another word.
Sign up to rate and review this story